SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL600
Extended Warranty

I have a 06 SL 600, mind is made up (99.9%) that I would like to get the top of the line extended warranty coverage (exclusion type) for the car. The car has 24,000 miles. Read a dozen extended warranty web sites and exclusions etc. etc. some of which exclude turbo charged engines and turbocharges. What kind of experience do you have with your extended warranty, good or bad. Looks like some companies cover the important things for the SL, like the turbo, ABC, top, pumps, etc. Thanks for the help and company recommendations. Much appreciated!
Old 09-06-2012, 02:31 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2007 SL550
Bought what I thought was a pretty comprehensive 5yr 40K warranty for my 07 SL550 with 38K miles. Salesman said it was his best.

Thought my warranty would cover my top malfunction but it didn't because of a "known" failure that MD issued a repair kit for. Probably could have done the repair myself and saved a few hundred but paid to have it done taking no chances on my screwing it up.

Had another problem that was originally determined to be an accumulator which is not covered but later determined to be a dampner which was covered.

My overall impression is that the whole warranty coverage issue is a crapshoot.

Be prepared to pay for some things that are not covered because they are known common problems that the warranty companies are aware of and therefore do not cover. I do not think there is a "perfect warranty" out there.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:11 PM

SL600
First Benz
Thank you for your reply. The car was recently purchased from a company, but not a new or used car car dealer, the ad stated there was a warranty that went with the car and was good until November 2014 or 75,000 miles. I bought the car and now the warranty cannot be transfered. Trying to get the seller to give me a new warranty equal to what was written or compensate me. I do not know how much of a choice I have here, thought I wanted the warranty but maybe should settle for some cash. I know there are a couple of things that need to be repaired on the car, that is why I am bit nervous about settling for cash. Was looking for some opinions or experience with these extended warranties as it looks like we will do battle over this issue. Wanted to know what the pros and cons are in order to decide which solution is the best avenue to pursue.

Received a quote today for an extension of the warranty for 3 years or 36,000 miles, $6,100. Looks like one major repair under warranty would pay for the premium.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:07 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2007 SL550
Maybe the warranty did not cover what was wrong with the car anyway (or else they should have had the stuff fixed using it I would think). You will probably be better off settling for cash and getting your own coverage.

I really did not do much research for mine as I knew upon purchasing the car it would cost me for repairs in the end. However, I wanted the warranty to protect me against some of the major repair costs over $4000 as I plan on keeping it for awhile. When figuring in the cost of trading every 3/4 years for another car (like I had been doing in the past) versus keeping what I now call "the best car I ever drove" I'll probably save money in the long run.

I purchased a certified car from an MB dealer with part of the original warranty still good. It covered replacing the engine mounts. Then the certified warranty kicked in and DID NOT cover a broken headlight washer. After it expired I was offered a 2 yr/24k ($100 deduct) for $3600 which I declined. My 5yr/40k ($200 deduct) was $4000 and purchased it from the independent dealer that is servicing it. So far I have paid about $349 for top and $200 deductable and warranty paid $649. Beats trading it in and paying $10-15k for a newer/lesser car in my estimation.

Driving my SL is pure pleasure unlike any other car I have driven and at 65 there have been quite a few. I hope you get the same enjoyment from yours. Very few cars on the planet drive like the SL's in my opinion and we get to experience it everyday if we choose. Everyone who I have ever asked if they wanted to drive my car has accepted and then just raved about it.

Enjoy, you just purchased one heck of an automobile!!
Old 09-07-2012, 03:25 PM

SL600
Thank you for your reply. Agree 100% about the automobile. It is the best car I have ever driven and owned. We are about the same age, this may be my last car, hence the concern about the warranty, at least initially. Long term, may be my chauffeur's problem.

Anyone else out there have any comments on the extended warranty?
Old 09-19-2012, 06:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'14 E350, '03 H-D FXDL
Originally Posted by mgvs88
First Benz
Thank you for your reply. The car was recently purchased from a company, but not a new or used car car dealer, the ad stated there was a warranty that went with the car and was good until November 2014 or 75,000 miles. I bought the car and now the warranty cannot be transfered...
FWIW: In my experience, having closely examined the fine print on nearly 2 dozen ext warranty policy documents a few years back before picking the one I wanted, all of them could be transferred to a new owner. Another universal provision in the language was that the ext warranty could be cancelled and some cash refunded; of course, the refund calculation methods varied greatly.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:43 PM

SL600
Sgooter, thank you for the information. I am not the holder of the warranty policy making it difficult for me to fight the warranty company. In fact the warranty company is reluctant to speak with me. As a next step I contacted the Consumer Protection Agency in the previous car owners home state and filed a complaint. The plan is to wait about two weeks for the CPA to resolve the issues and complaint. If there is no resolution of the complaint the issues get legally messy. The amount of the complaint exceeds the small claims courts limits, would have to get legal representation. According to one attorney law suits and maybe criminal charges would need to be filed. Does anyone else have any better suggestions other than pursuing a legal settlement? Would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks
Old 09-20-2012, 05:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 SL500
I got a warranty from jake on this site. He works for Lexus of Omaha NE. The company is the Mechanic. So far, for OEM coverage 4 year, 100 deductible for $2,500, it has paid without a hassle.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:14 PM

SL600
Stoofpilot, thank you for the reply. The price you paid appears to be a lot more reasonable. Do you know how to contact Jake? Or does anyone know how to contact Jake? Would like to get a quote. Thank you.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 SL500
His screen name is Nemesis. I sent him a pm but you could also.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:09 PM

2004 S600 Renntech
Originally Posted by Stoofpilot
His screen name is Nemesis. I sent him a pm but you could also.
Hello good people! I am picking up my first MB tomorrow, a 2004 S600. It has 69k on it and I am searching for a warranty, can you help?
Old 01-04-2013, 09:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 G63
Worth it for a SL600. Definatly do your research some companies I have dealt with are BRUTAL compared to others. Im not sure if SECURE DRIVE is available where you are but I absolutly love dealing with them. SL parts are through the roof, yes some things will not be covered. Definatly make sure they cover ABC components, Roof drive flaps and make sure they cover control units, everything on this car is controlled by one and are VERY expencive to replace.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:10 PM

2004 S600 Renntech
I don't have the drop, I just have the sedan, S600... I will check into secure drive as well, thanks!