SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Just "feels" slow?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 09:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
13 S550, 10 S550, 08 GL550, 05 SL65, 97 SL600, 09 E63
Just "feels" slow?

I've had the 65 for some time now (a few weeks), but I just can't help but feel that the car hesitates a bit before taking off. Sometimes, I get that "pinned to the seat" feeling, other times it just feels like my audi (nice smooth torquey feeling), but far from "In your face" pedal to the metal like a 65 should feel. Am I just getting used to the car or do others feel that same hesitation when hitting it?

I also noticed spinning em up (with ESP off) doesn't seem to be that easy. *bah* damn car... maybe I do need more pony power...
Old 06-21-2009, 09:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL55, CL55, Range Rover, Lexus LX470
Originally Posted by percykwong
I've had the 65 for some time now (a few weeks), but I just can't help but feel that the car hesitates a bit before taking off. Sometimes, I get that "pinned to the seat" feeling, other times it just feels like my audi (nice smooth torquey feeling), but far from "In your face" pedal to the metal like a 65 should feel. Am I just getting used to the car or do others feel that same hesitation when hitting it?

I also noticed spinning em up (with ESP off) doesn't seem to be that easy. *bah* damn car... maybe I do need more pony power...
What are you driving an Sl65 or SL600? Either way you should feel that G-force when getting down on her, there is no getting used to it and forgetting what it once felt like. Read my thread (nightmare at the drag strip) and you will understand just what your problem might be. You might have a IC pump failure, and becareful with the ESP, I only use it to do a burn out than I switch it back on, trust me I wrecked my SL55 once clowning around with the ESP.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG

try doing a throttle reset.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:05 AM

13 S550, 10 S550, 08 GL550, 05 SL65, 97 SL600, 09 E63
If I had an IC pump failure, wouldn't the ECU show it with some sort of problem? Don't get me wrong, it feels nice most of the time, but I just feel like sometimes it's just a bit on the slow side.

Also, how do I do a throttle reset?

It's an SL65. I would just assume if I were at a standing stop and just buried the throttle with the ESP off, it should just go nowhere with the tires spinning. (no power braking). Am I wrong to make this assumption?
Old 06-22-2009, 12:18 AM

SL 55 AMG
if ur 65 has abit of mileage get new spark plugs and change ur IC pump .... i had that same feeling .... once i changed both ... wow wat a difference .

Last edited by G_KATS; 06-22-2009 at 12:21 AM.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
percykwong:

throttle reset: https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...et-smokes.html

note: it says ECU reset. it's not. the guy who posted the thread didn't know what it does. it just clears info related to your driving patterns because after a while, the car learns how you drive. this may not solve your problem, but it is a nice thing to know and you will definitely notice a difference if you do it right.

and yes, you should be able smoke the tires in your car. i can do that in mine quite easily, even without the breaks being applied
Old 06-22-2009, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My ex-cars: 03 E55,04 C32, 05 C55 ,03 E320
I think your feelings are natural.
When I first got my SL600 I was like "wow!"...then I got used to.
After chipping the car, I was like "wow!" gain...then im used to it now.

I just think we all get used to the power eventually.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
percy,

When in doubt, dyno the car. It's inconvenient, it costs money, but if you are able to see that you were in fact right, or you were in fact wrong, it brings great satisfaction.

Make sure if you do dyno it, to take it to a shop that DOES MERCEDES BENZ and has done MANY of them and will be able to show you similar cars graphs from their dyno. Makes a world of difference.

My 65 dyno'd low (check my build thread) and having that data has proven to be of great utility and importance in trying to figure out why.

-m
Old 06-22-2009, 04:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
05 E55, 07 SL65, 06 S4

As a frame of reference, my stock (tires etc) SL65 with traction control off will break the rear tires loose at anyting below 60 MPH. Don't try this anywhere but on straight level surface with lots of room to catch if something goes wrong