SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Audio Upgrades

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2004, 04:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'10 MB E63, '08 ML550 ('05 E55, '05 SL55, '08 E63 GONE)
Audio Upgrades

Can additional speakers be added to the factory head unit? Has anyone installed speakers in the rear of their SL55?

- Ian
Old 12-11-2004, 04:51 AM

SL65/ML55/BMW M3 CSL
Sound upgrade SL

Hello Ian

There is an otion from "AMG Manufaktur" as following:
(c) AMG Manufaktur Pricelist

Audio system HWA 230 820 20 02 (Euro excl vat) 7,550 Euro incl. 16% VAT 8,758.00
– High-end sound system with COMAND connection
– Digital linear 5-channel amplifier (>1000 Watt RMS)
– Specially manufactured loudspeakers incl. woofer module
– Vehicle-specific sound settings with automatic adjustment to
open/closed roof
– Only in combination with code 352
Installation (Euro excl vat)2,400 Euro incl. 16%2,784.00

The above mentioned system includes as well a subwoofer box behind the seats - therefore you can not use these small boxes any longer, or store some light luggage.

I believe that I have some pictures of these upgrade - maybe I can post this later on.

kind regards

Walter
Old 12-12-2004, 01:21 AM

sl 55
Talking

is this option available in the united states?
Old 12-12-2004, 08:00 AM

SL65/ML55/BMW M3 CSL
Unhappy

I believe, that this "extra" is only available direct at Affalterbach - because it is part of the "Manufaktur" list. Even in Europe you have to bring your car to AMG.....

nice Sunday

Walter
Old 12-13-2004, 09:11 PM

SL55AMG
Originally Posted by IanSL55
Can additional speakers be added to the factory head unit? Has anyone installed speakers in the rear of their SL55?

- Ian
If you are in Southern California you can call Isaac at Sounds Good Stereo and Marine. He specializes in nothing but high end audio/video installations. He updated the system in my SL55 by adding a poweramp, upgrading the speakers and installing a custom fabricated subwoofer in place of the stock unit. The COMMAND head unit remains and everything functions perfectly. The system absolutely rocks the house.

I've entrusted him with a number of installs and every one has been perfect. He knows how to deal with things that cause problems for others, like the sonic actuator in the cabin that increases volume level when it senses additional sound level when the top is down. That's one little item that causes others to screw up an entire install... and that's just one of many. His work is superb, and no, I'm not a plant or a paid endorsement. Just a guy who wants great sound but dreads having somebody mess up my car!

He can be reached at 818-999-4523.

6405 Independence Ave
Woodland Hills, CA
91367-2608
Old 12-14-2004, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by SLVRSL55
If you are in Southern California you can call Isaac at Sounds Good Stereo and Marine. He specializes in nothing but high end audio/video installations. He updated the system in my SL55 by adding a poweramp, upgrading the speakers and installing a custom fabricated subwoofer in place of the stock unit. The COMMAND head unit remains and everything functions perfectly. The system absolutely rocks the house.

I've entrusted him with a number of installs and every one has been perfect. He knows how to deal with things that cause problems for others, like the sonic actuator in the cabin that increases volume level when it senses additional sound level when the top is down. That's one little item that causes others to screw up an entire install... and that's just one of many. His work is superb, and no, I'm not a plant or a paid endorsement. Just a guy who wants great sound but dreads having somebody mess up my car!

He can be reached at 818-999-4523.

6405 Independence Ave
Woodland Hills, CA
91367-2608
GREAT HEADS UP!

I'm down in Orange County (Irvine) and really appreciate it... The sound system is about the only thing that I'm not totally satisfied with thus far. It's not bad, but it's nothing to write home about!

- Ian
Old 12-14-2004, 10:38 AM

SL55AMG
He also does an incredible HIDDEN install of a radar jammer system. Very sweet.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:52 PM

'19 GT 4 63s ,'17 Bentley Bentayga, '06 Ford GT
Smile

Kind of ironic that someone reply to this question here after I posted a very similar one in the Audio forum and got no feedback whatsoever : https://mbworld.org/forums/audio-electronics/90300-modified-bose-amp-get-line-level-command-use-audio-control-lc6.html

As I mentioned in that thread I'll be using a line output converter in my setup. I may take the opportunity to have my installers compare notes with Isaac at Sounds Good Stereo and Marine also - Thanks for tip off

Last edited by OzSL55; 12-14-2004 at 07:08 PM.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:45 AM

SL55AMG
I wasn't meaning to ignore the post... this is just the forum I frequent the most. If there is anyone in So. Cal that wants to hear the system some time, just let me know.
Old 12-15-2004, 07:52 PM

I wasn't meaning to ignore the post... this is just the forum I frequent the most. If there is anyone in So. Cal that wants to hear the system some time, just let me know.
No hassles man, wasn't a direct comment on you answering the post. It's just that it's my kind of luck in wanting to be precise where I post that it backfires. Next time I'll cross-post just to be sure, I cover everyone.

Anyway, the good thing is my guys have emailed Issac and hopefully will get some feedback from him today on it.
Old 12-16-2004, 11:08 AM

SL55AMG
Glad to hear it. I know he's pretty swamped having just got back into the country after visiting with a speaker manufacturer, but I'm sure he'll get to you soon. He also mentioned that he has lots of MBZ installation pics (SL55's as well as many other models too) that might be of interest to those here on the board.

Should I have him give me the shots to put a few up or would it be appropriate to invite him to do it himself? Just not sure of proper protocol when it comes to a business.
Old 12-16-2004, 05:48 PM

Talking

Glad to hear it. I know he's pretty swamped having just got back into the country after visiting with a speaker manufacturer, but I'm sure he'll get to you soon. He also mentioned that he has lots of MBZ installation pics (SL55's as well as many other models too) that might be of interest to those here on the board.

Should I have him give me the shots to put a few up or would it be appropriate to invite him to do it himself? Just not sure of proper protocol when it comes to a business.

That would be a top idea, yes please encourage him to do so, I'm sure many will benefit!
Old 12-22-2004, 03:13 PM

SL55AMG
Will do. I won't see him until after the New Year. I'm sure he'll get something going shortly thereafter.
Old 12-23-2004, 06:24 PM

After finally getting an email reply from Isaac on his install technique, my installers were not really impressed. It seems he is advocating taking the Command unit's crossed-over output and connecting them straight into a JL amp. My guys are going to stick with using an audio control LC6 to properly convert the signal back to a reconstructed line level signal.

Hopefully I'll have some positive news to report when the LC6 comes in sometime in the next few weeks.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:31 PM

SL55AMG
I spoke to him as well and his response was that he felt a bit uncomfortable discussing his installs with another shop. Maybe not warranted, but his feelings are to be respected. I believe his comment to your guys was something to the extent of "what most people might do is..." without going into details of his own install. Nonetheless, I've got pics of the install on my SL55 and if you'd still like them posted, I'm more than happy to do so.
Old 12-23-2004, 10:40 PM

Thumbs down

I spoke to him as well and his response was that he felt a bit uncomfortable discussing his installs with another shop. Maybe not warranted, but his feelings are to be respected. I believe his comment to your guys was something to the extent of "what most people might do is..." without going into details of his own install. Nonetheless, I've got pics of the install on my SL55 and if you'd still like them posted, I'm more than happy to do so.
Well that's a real shame if that's the attitude he's taken. It's not like my guys are suddenly going to start taking business from him or that they will ever do SL's besides mine. Also, as they clearly stated to him by phone and in their email, we're in another country entirely. Sure we'd love to fly him over, but that might blow the budget just slightly. Net result, they are still going with an LC6 as they have been provided with no hard info that would make his method of install superior. It's a shame when the net can bridge so many gaps in knowledge and encourage information exchange on a global scale that we still so often end up this kind of non-helpful, time wasting scenarios...

Could you also fill me in on what drivers your system runs? That may also play a big part with the install technique. If the actual install method is anything like the very basic description provided, the driver choice would play a big part. You may get away with it using modest drivers, however in my install I wouldn't be doing it that way with my Boston Z9's.

Last edited by OzSL55; 12-23-2004 at 11:02 PM.
Old 12-24-2004, 06:33 AM

Please. Pictures would be great!

Ian
Old 12-24-2004, 01:45 PM

SL55AMG
To Isaacs defense, I hadn't given him the heads up that there was interest brewing on this board. He gets a call out of the blue from a shop in Australia and didn't know what to make of it. His reaction is understandable. He's an open and honest guy who's first priority are to HIS customers. Perhaps he reacted flipantly in your eyes, but before you know his reputation or have seen his work in person, I'm not sure he's deserved of criticism.

Next, as you accurately pointed out, installs are commensurate with the customer's requests. You are no doubt an all out audiophile and I have great respect for that... it's just that wasn't my goal. After a fairly lengthy interview of my needs, I got exactly what I wanted... significantly more bottom end, a marked improvement in overall tonal clarity and increased power and volume input. At the end of the day, it isn't what you or anyone else thinks of the install; it's how happy I am as a customer. And indeed, I'm very pleased to have accomplished all this in a fairly cost effective manner. No doubt, your needs and desires are different than mine. If you were local, I'm confident Isaac would meet them. That's the beauty of an installer who listens to customer needs as your guys, no doubt, are listening to you. They listen, consider your needs and make recommendations specific to your wishes, commensurate with their knowledge and expertise of the best way to accomplish the task at hand.

Bottom line is that Isaac has now done 7 or 8 installs for me in everything from an S600, SLK32, CL500, SL55, Escalade EXT... all the way to a restored 1958 Corvette "Retrovette" (www.retrovette.com)... and every one has been top notch. For me, that's what counts. He's got a great reputation here in SoCal and his installs have been on the covers of countless mags. He's even the one who started the whole Sound Off competitions back in the 70's, which has spawned a national rage.

I'm not suggesting that your guys are better or worse. There's plenty of room for lots of great talent. I am saying that I'm thrilled with my install, its functionality, neatness and timeliness and that's what matters. I got what I wanted, which was a noticeable difference at a moderate cost. We just have different needs. It sounds like your'e taking a leap beyond what I did... I applaud you and I hope it works out for great. Meanwhile, here are some pics...
Attached Thumbnails Audio Upgrades-prep.jpg   Audio Upgrades-shellwip.jpg   Audio Upgrades-sub-shell.jpg   Audio Upgrades-subbox.jpg   Audio Upgrades-sub-no-spkr.jpg  

Last edited by SLVRSL55; 12-24-2004 at 02:07 PM.
Old 12-24-2004, 01:48 PM

SL55AMG
More pics...
Attached Thumbnails Audio Upgrades-sub-place.jpg   Audio Upgrades-baffle.jpg   Audio Upgrades-finished-sub.jpg   Audio Upgrades-pwramp.battery.jpg   Audio Upgrades-pwramp2.jpg  

Old 12-24-2004, 01:53 PM

SL55AMG
and now the radar/jammer...
Attached Thumbnails Audio Upgrades-sensor.close.jpg   Audio Upgrades-hidden-sensor.jpg   Audio Upgrades-front.jpg   Audio Upgrades-lightsoff.jpg   Audio Upgrades-hiddenlights.jpg  

Old 12-24-2004, 02:00 PM

SL55AMG
And lastly, the controls for the sub rolloff and the radar system in the center console...
Attached Thumbnails Audio Upgrades-controls2.jpg   Audio Upgrades-controls.jpg  
Old 12-24-2004, 06:20 PM

Cool

To Isaacs defense, I hadn't given him the heads up that there was interest brewing on this board. He gets a call out of the blue from a shop in Australia and didn't know what to make of it. His reaction is understandable. He's an open and honest guy who's first priority are to HIS customers. Perhaps he reacted flipantly in your eyes, but before you know his reputation or have seen his work in person, I'm not sure he's deserved of criticism.

Next, as you accurately pointed out, installs are commensurate with the customer's requests. You are no doubt an all out audiophile and I have great respect for that... it's just that wasn't my goal. After a fairly lengthy interview of my needs, I got exactly what I wanted... significantly more bottom end, a marked improvement in overall tonal clarity and increased power and volume input. At the end of the day, it isn't what you or anyone else thinks of the install; it's how happy I am as a customer. And indeed, I'm very pleased to have accomplished all this in a fairly cost effective manner. No doubt, your needs and desires are different than mine. If you were local, I'm confident Isaac would meet them. That's the beauty of an installer who listens to customer needs as your guys, no doubt, are listening to you. They listen, consider your needs and make recommendations specific to your wishes, commensurate with their knowledge and expertise of the best way to accomplish the task at hand.

Bottom line is that Isaac has now done 7 or 8 installs for me in everything from an S600, SLK32, CL500, SL55, Escalade EXT... all the way to a restored 1958 Corvette "Retrovette" (www.retrovette.com)... and every one has been top notch. For me, that's what counts. He's got a great reputation here in SoCal and his installs have been on the covers of countless mags. He's even the one who started the whole Sound Off competitions back in the 70's, which has spawned a national rage.

I'm not suggesting that your guys are better or worse. There's plenty of room for lots of great talent. I am saying that I'm thrilled with my install, its functionality, neatness and timeliness and that's what matters. I got what I wanted, which was a noticeable difference at a moderate cost. We just have different needs. It sounds like your'e taking a leap beyond what I did... I applaud you and I hope it works out for great. Meanwhile, here are some pics...
You are one heck of a loyal cutomer and advocate for him. Fair enough I guess. My observations were based on Isaac's communications, not his standard of work.

One of the guys at my shop rightly pointed out that customers expections(and experience) are often totally different, which was my reason for enquiring about your level of equipment. You would be correct that I am audiophile, however my installs reflect the level of vehicle they are in, from my basic amp and speaker change in my Jeep, mid-level installs in my truck and stang to what was a $12k hifi setup in my 850. Normally, I wouldn't have an expectation of a certain quality. However, I'm afraid I jumped to the conclusion that an SL55 owner would automatically want quite high end equip as an upgrade to the reasonable level stock system. Mind you, after seeing your photos, am I to take it that all that was done to your system was the addition of a sub and amp to drive it, perhaps different main speakers but driving them with the stock system (you didn't mention them at all)? That's all that seems to be illustrated in the photos. If so, we are not even on the same page in regards to what I am trying to achieve vs. your install and their would be nothing unusual in how it was implemented. That's no slight against your system or the install, it's entirely your right to choose what you want.
Old 12-25-2004, 01:38 AM

SL55AMG
You're making my point. I got what I wanted and I'm pleased with the results. You're after something different. More power to you. Enjoy.
Old 12-26-2004, 07:30 PM

You're making my point. I got what I wanted and I'm pleased with the results. You're after something different. More power to you. Enjoy.

Agreed. However, I'm still a little miffed that I had people put the time,energy, and cost into exploring something that wasn't what I was trying to achieve from the start due to lack of clarity in the first place. This kind of thing can easily be avoided with a bit more detail being provided, rather than leaving key points open for interpretation.

Happy Holidays!

PS. You still haven't confirmed your system specs to us fully, which surprises me for a person who has had so many built.

Last edited by OzSL55; 12-26-2004 at 07:53 PM.
Old 01-04-2005, 06:23 PM

SL55AMG
Originally Posted by OzSL55
PS. You still haven't confirmed your system specs to us fully, which surprises me for a person who has had so many built.
Sorry for the delay, Holidays, you know. At any rate, the system is quite modest as I stated earlier. It really involved just adding the power amp and subwoofer along with the radar unit. The rest of the stock system was left virtually untouched. I did not want a major overhaul, just more volume and bottom end. I never laid claim to anything other than a simple, albeit clean install. We're not competing here. Just two very different goals. I hope you'll be as happy with yours as I am with mine. Remember, this post started with someone just asking if they could add speakers to a stock system!

Enjoy.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Audio Upgrades