SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: SLK 350 Needs Navigation Installed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 12:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK 350
Unhappy SLK 350 Needs Navigation Installed

I have a 2006 SLK 350 and have the navigation and map options but when the buttons are pressed, it says it isn't installed. What does it take to get this up and running and what are the costs associated with it?
Old 08-01-2009, 11:27 AM

2009 SLK 55 AMG
sent you pm

and here is just one reply from our experts:

http://www.slkworld.com/slk-parts-wa...-need-nav.html
Old 08-02-2009, 01:02 PM
-1-

SLK55///AMG The MONSTER on the block
I assume from your post you have the Harmon Kardon Comand head unit. My understanding is, all 2005 SLKs came with the necessary wiring for the NAV DVD drive located in the trunk and the retrofit is fairly easy once you have the drive parts and map disc. Supposedly, the 2006s and up without factory NAV don't have the wiring and the retrofit is not cost effective. The NAV system on the 2005-2008 SLKs is out dated and you'll do better with a $200 portable GPS unit that up-to-date and super easy to use.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:47 PM

2006 SLK 350
I just installed the Navigation in my 2006 SLK350 with items bought on Ebay, the wiring was factory installed behind the cover in the front of the trunk behind a metal panel. I bought the Navigation DVD unit, DVD, and installation kit on Ebay for a little less than $500, I am ordering the mounting bracket for the DVD unit from the dealer since I haven't found it online. The entire installation was very easy and was Plug and Play with the Command unit "finding" the Navigation unit/DVD automatically. I like the Mercedes system since it adds $2,000 to the resale value. I bought the latest DVD I could find, but they can also be bought from the dealer for the most up to date info.
Hope this helps,
L8R,
Sid
Old 08-19-2009, 07:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Corrolla
Originally Posted by Techmowtron
I just installed the Navigation in my 2006 SLK350 with items bought on Ebay, the wiring was factory installed behind the cover in the front of the trunk behind a metal panel. I bought the Navigation DVD unit, DVD, and installation kit on Ebay for a little less than $500, I am ordering the mounting bracket for the DVD unit from the dealer since I haven't found it online. The entire installation was very easy and was Plug and Play with the Command unit "finding" the Navigation unit/DVD automatically. I like the Mercedes system since it adds $2,000 to the resale value. I bought the latest DVD I could find, but they can also be bought from the dealer for the most up to date info.
Hope this helps,
L8R,
Sid
any pics of ur set up ?

Andy
Old 09-21-2009, 04:25 PM

SLK 350
Additional Info

Originally Posted by Techmowtron
Hope this helps,
L8R,
Sid
Sid,
Is the wire bundle accessed in the trunk or behind the seats? I am considering purchasing a unit from eBay and need to make sure my car is already wired before I purchase the unit. I have a 2006 SLK 350.
Thank you,
Mike
Old 09-21-2009, 08:51 PM

2006 SLK 350
It is in the trunk, behind the front trunk trim there is a metal "bulkhead" that is bolted in with 6 or 8 male torx bolts, the wiring, antenna, and fiber optic cable is on the back side of the bulkhead when you unbolt it and drop it down. The kit has a fiber optic connector & fiber optic cable to complete the fiber optic "ring" so it will interface with the command head unit. In my SLK it was very simple and was plug n play.
Hope this helps,
Sid
Old 07-22-2017, 01:54 PM

e500 4matic
Sid, Do you still have your slk350? I have one and have installed the DVD navigation drive unit, hooked up the MOST fiber optic cables and the unit works with the command unit, except I am just not sure where the GPS antenna connection is?, all the factory wiring is there and it was color coded for a factory install. is there a splitter for the GPS antenna, I need to get from the dealer?