SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: New to the boards....wanting info

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to the boards....wanting info

I have been looking at the SLK for a year or so and finally decided I should get one. Stumbled onto this website and commend the posters.....great reading.

Anyway...Im strongly leaning toward the SLK but have not ruled out the Boxster, Corvette, or 350Z. I have read some opinions on the 350Z...but what are your opinions on these cars?

Also, I am torn on whether to get the AMG version. The increased styling is nice and the HP increase is dramatic. However, is it worth the extra $? I also love a stick and realize the AMG doesn't come manual. That may be a deciding factor.

All opinions would be appreciated.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:13 AM

OH yeah

If I go with the SLK350....what packages would you recommend?

Thanks again
Old 12-21-2004, 11:23 AM

I own a corvette, and just got my wife a slk 350, with almost every option on it, the cost of the slk was $59,090, while a new C6 vette conv would have been about the same, with 400HP, my wife thinks there is no other car than a benz, so that is what she got, if it was my choice I would have gone with the vette.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:35 AM

2000 E320 Sedan
Wink

None of the above. Check out the Cadilac STS V8 $41K with every option imaginable.
Old 12-21-2004, 02:01 PM

06 SLK55 AMG Firemist/Blk
Originally Posted by E320Star
None of the above. Check out the Cadilac STS V8 $41K with every option imaginable.
I was not aware that the STS is now available in a 2 seater convertible. I guess it replaces the XLR.

Kind of looks to me.
Old 12-21-2004, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by ed424
If I go with the SLK350....what packages would you recommend?

Thanks again
Comfort, Lighting, AMG, Entertainment w/Nav, Heating, Premium, and any color but Iridium.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:06 PM

05 SLK350; 00 Lexus GS400; 05 Corvette
We have both the new 2005 SLK350 and the new 2005 Corvette C6 coupe.

(We pick up the SLK on Thursday, and the Corvette is built, but to be delivered in January.)

I got the Corvette coupe, 6-speed, Z51 package, 1SB package (upgraded seats, side impact air bags). Price $47,000

My wife ordered the Red/Beige SLK350 with lowered kit, NAV/entertainment pkg, plexiglass windscreen, run-flats, wood-grain kit. Price $52,000.

She not about horsepower, but loves the "class" and performance of the SLK two seater, without the pricetag of the SL500. Good HP on tap, with a respectable 5.3sec 0-60 time. More "exclusivity" than the vette which she likes. I've only seen less than a half-dozen here in our town (but LOTS of C5 vettes).

I want the bravado of the Corvette's LS6 400HP motor, with a great track racing history (which I will do), at a "steal" of a price. Wiht the *inexpensive* Z51 package, it comes with larger brakes, rotors, oil coolers, tranny coolers, HD sway-bars, supercar run-flats, and LOTS of cheap horsepower yet to be tapped with a few mods. The car runs a 12.3 sec/115 MPH quarter-mile!!!
For the price of the AMG, you could hold out until the Z06 package is released with the 500HP LS7 motor this Spring. A few of the car dealers are taking orders AT MSRP already (Kerbeck Chevrolet out of NJ, for one.)
I think with the larger buyer base, and lots of aftermarket parts, it's a great car to "tinker" and upgrade.... I guess I don't think of the SLK that way. There's a great corvette club here with dozens of members who are always doing activities, so that's another benefit of a larger owner base.
Go to http://forums.corvetteforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=74 for the C6 Vette discussion
and for my FAQ:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=927981

or another great site for vettes:
http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...s=&forumid=139

Both are great cars, with different characters and personalities...

Good luck!!!!

Old 12-21-2004, 08:40 PM

Talking my slk

I've had the pleasure of driving the SLK 350 for two weeks, mostly to and from work. I have the automatic, black on black. My impression- excellent acceleration, handling and style. The seats are spartan, lacking lumbar support. I owned a 2000 BMW coupe before this and can say that the SLK is faster with better braking and handling. Go for the SLK. You'll love it. Turns heads.
Old 12-22-2004, 03:01 PM

05 SLK 350, 97 S420, 92 Jeep, 04 Kia, 28 Ford Tudor, 51 Ford F3, 01 Harley, 03 Harley
I have been tracking both cars, love them both... been a Corvette nut for some time.
BUT all in all I had to go with the SLK, much more class and can't beat the engineering they did with this car. Can't say enough about how pleased we are with this vehicle. It really lives up to all the write ups, tests and hype that has been out there for the last year or so.
Good luck.
Old 12-22-2004, 06:29 PM
CP1

SLK 55 AMG
I just bought the 55 AMG but I have always had a Vette. I currently have a 2001 Z06. I am having a problem with the fact that the 55 is "just another little silver car" on the road, whereas the Vette gets instant recognition. How can I resolve this dilemma?
Old 12-22-2004, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by CP1
I just bought the 55 AMG but I have always had a Vette. I currently have a 2001 Z06. I am having a problem with the fact that the 55 is "just another little silver car" on the road, whereas the Vette gets instant recognition. How can I resolve this dilemma?
Simple, don't buy silver. Silver is so plain, common, and boooring. For an SLK to stand out as a sports car it needs a sports car color. This is one reason I chose Mars/beige for my 350 w/AMG.
Old 12-24-2004, 08:19 AM

Talking thanKs for comments

I am really leaning toward the SLK. I love the Vette....and quite frankly..what guy doesn't. However, the engineering and style of the SLK easily outpaces the Vette in my opinion. I like the Boxster but the new design is coming out next year.....and I can wait and see what that looks like. But for now, I think Im going to look at the SLK.

I was on the way home for Xmas yesterday and stopped at a dealer. Took me out for a spin. First time that I had spent any amount of time driving the SLK. Great car. Handling is crisp and superb. (Damn the soccer mom in the minivan who was going slow on a curvy road when I was trying to push the slk to its limits.) Power was real nice. It made me decide that I don't really need the AMG power. The car sounds great too. The only things I really didn't like was the limited amount of space in the car, glove box, etc. But, its a roadster...if I wanted room, I would get something else. I also didn't like the cup holder. It sits up in an awkward position. My current SUV has a cup holder up high as well. Everything drips all over the console....I HATE that. But then again, you don't buy a roadster for driving around with a fast food coke.

At the end of the day, I was disappointed that the dealership didn't have a variety of cars....all were base 350s. No add ons. However, I had them locate a 350 with AMG, Heating, Premium, lighting,Comfort, Entertain/DVD in the colors I wanted. After a few minutes and very little bargainging on my end, I was offered a deal of having it within a week for $1000 off MSRP. Im certain I can talk him down some more. I told him I would take the weekend to think about it.
Old 12-27-2004, 11:14 PM

Update

Got back in touch with the Mercedes dealer and we discussed the car over cell phone calls on my way back from Christmas vacationing. I decided to go with the 350.

I got Iridium Silver with the AMG package
and basically all the other packages except for wood trim.

Final deal was $1800 under invoice plus they agreed to give me accessories at cost. (Car seat for my 4 year old, wind deflector are the big ones right now.)

Supposed to be delivered in a week.

I can't wait.