Sponsored by:

Five Killed In A 2008 BMW M5

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 10:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1999 C280
What is up with these reporters stalking car forums just for some material for their stories?
Old 01-27-2008, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Originally Posted by NdnMbLova
What is up with these reporters stalking car forums just for some material for their stories?
That's the nature of the business. It provides the background and is a whole lot more palletable than bothering the families directly at this early stage of the grieving process.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1999 C280
It also allows for alot of speculation.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
my parents trust me to know im not going to do anything stupid, because i have alot to lose. A buisness in my name, and if i lose my license i cant go to school. I havent had a curfew since i was about 15 though
Old 01-27-2008, 11:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1999 C280
I'm 21 and i still have a goddamn curfew. It's very easy for my dad to take away my car keys and leave my *** on the street.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by Improviz
He's also engaging in his favorite *other* pasttime besides portraying BMWs as the veritable Jesus Christ of cars: censorship. He deleted several of the young man's posts, locked one of the last threads in which he was participating, and deleted the other thread (along with his posts) entirely.

This was a post of his yesterday, but now it, along with the thread containing it and a number of the young man's posts, have mysteriously disappeared:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/sho...21#post1236121

I read the thread myself. It was a thread about some guys getting together and renting an airstrip in Fla, and he said he'd participate. I personally think it's ridiculous to delete this, as renting an airstrip is not the same as sneaking onto one at 3AM, but Gustav has always been weird about deleting posts.
Interesting: the posts have been restored. The one in particular that I'd been trying to find was this one:
Originally Posted by AmericanM5
M5froth I completley understand where you are coming from assuming that I am irresponsible..that is definetly understandable. I do sometimes make bad decisions but I am young and I do drive safe and I will not endanger the lives of others..and I hope you are not under the impression that I am the one to brag, I have never been that way and never will. Plus I will have pictures up asap with me in the pictures. I have no reason to lie buddy.

[snip]

so take care

Josh
How sad, and ironic.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:23 AM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 186 Likes on 135 Posts
Originally Posted by Carl Lassiter

Post #24 in the thread below sums it up...

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...34#post2610334

At least the kid who crashed the M5 kept the car off public roads but unfortunately he had passengers...

Last edited by RJC; 01-28-2008 at 12:53 AM.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:43 AM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by rahulanand1130
my parents trust me to know im not going to do anything stupid, because i have alot to lose. A buisness in my name, and if i lose my license i cant go to school. I havent had a curfew since i was about 15 though
Good for you, how old are you?
Old 01-28-2008, 01:05 AM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

The latest Info ... Alcohol Not Established

http://www.ocala.com/article/2008012.../BREAKING_NEWS
Old 01-28-2008, 01:20 AM

Received 131 Likes on 87 Posts
2021 E63S Wagon 2019 S63 AMG Coupé 2015 S Coupé Edition 1 1970 Chevelle LS5
In 2 years when our 14 year old starts to drive, I'm buying him a Honda Civic, and pull the wires off 2 spark plugs.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:20 AM

C200TCDI Sports Edition
Originally Posted by Improviz
I think that this is unbelievably harsh, cruel, and uncalled for. While admittedly a car like this should never have been given to an 18 year old (and there is some uncertainty about this: he was claiming it was his car, while press reports have said it was his fathers' car, i.e. he could have been fibbing and snuck the car out for a joyride), this was NOT done on a public road but a deserted airstrip.

It was certainly a collossal error in judgement on his part (and his parents if they did give an 18 year old such an automobile), but I don't think that it deserved death, nor do I think that cheering for the death of this young man and his friends is called for or in anything remotely approaching good taste, to put it charitably.

It is a tragedy, and if any good comes of it, it will be that others will learn from it, exercise prudence and good judgement, and that perhaps tragedies which might have otherwise taken place can be avoided as a result.

Hopefully...
I might sound harsh but it's far better to get an idiot off the road like this now than to let him keep on driving for another XX years and perhaps kill someone else. I worked with a guy whose brother and 3 others died in very similar circumstance in a high powered car, he didn't learn from it, he died in an accident two years later which killed him and two people in the car he hit.

Nobody learns from incidents like this, young guys will still go out and buy or get bought for them high performance cars and kill themselves and others.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:31 AM

C200TCDI Sports Edition
Originally Posted by TonyJ89117
Your comments make me sick.

There were four innocent passengers that were killed by the driver's absolutely stupid and fatal mistake. Also, there were dozens of family members and friends that were terribly hurt by this senseless tragedy.

People like you should live on a deserted island by yourselves, since you have no compassion for others and don't offer anything positive to society. Have a little sympathy you JERK!
Tony I don't believe that the 4 passangers were innocent, they made the choice to get into the car with the driver, if they are like most other young guys in a fast car I am sure they were goading the driver into going faster.

All in all it's still the parents of the driver who are responsible for this, they should not have allowed the child to own or drive a car like this.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:58 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Originally Posted by KiwiRobbie
Tony I don't believe that the 4 passangers were innocent, they made the choice to get into the car with the driver, if they are like most other young guys in a fast car I am sure they were goading the driver into going faster.

All in all it's still the parents of the driver who are responsible for this, they should not have allowed the child to own or drive a car like this.
Its the Devil him self speaking!
um i am sure there is some Decency in you some where, so try to dig deep and think of the tragedy that has happen rather then a twisted happiness from several people passing away in an accident

Also remind me to laugh & Praise at you if you get onto a buss and it crashes, because it your fault for getting on it, based on your statement your guilty

Last edited by Zod; 01-28-2008 at 03:01 AM.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:18 AM

C200TCDI Sports Edition
Originally Posted by Zod
um i am sure there is some Decency in you some where, so try to dig deep and think of the tragedy that has happen rather then a twisted happiness from several people passing away in an accident

Also remind me to laugh & Praise at you if you get onto a buss and it crashes, because it your fault for getting on it, based on your statement your guilty
Big difference between getting on public transport and getting into a car with a young boy racer who may or may not have been drunk, any idiot can see that.

My comments have nothing to do with being decent or not, I would think it a tradegy had he killed a pedisterian or run into another car and killed someone else, this is no tradegy, it was an accident which could very easily have been averted and should not have happened.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
2007 E63 w/P30 and Eurotech CF Diffuser
Smart does not equal wisdom.

Wisdom is what keeps smart and normal people from doing stupid things.

But we all ocassionaly do stupid things. If you have a lapse and have 10 seconds of stupidity the odds of you ending up in a bad situation are far higher in our type of cars than in the Volvo240 that was my first car my parents loaned me to drive.

Younger smart people just do not have as much wisdom as older people. For instance
Lewis Hamilton has had his driving license suspended after being caught driving 196 kph on the French motorway
. I don't think that any of us would argue that he is a better driver than any of us on this board. But he displayed bad judgement in France and in China when he slid off the pit entry into gravel. Wisdom and experience!!!! There are a lot of smart people on this board, but there are always short snippets of information that tell me many of us are having those lapses in wisdom.

For instance, halo stated
Too much traffic for us to realy get into it
. Which means that if there was less traffic he would have "really gotten into it". Which would have left him and the driver of the vette (who was displaying absolutely no judgement) exposed to all those little unknowns that can happen on a pulic road.

I have to admit that I have had my lapses in judgement as well. Stories I will hold to myself until I meet you at an event.

As for the posts by KiwiRobbie, I do not agree.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:21 AM

2005 E55 Black / Black Every available option except Sat radio
Originally Posted by KiwiRobbie

Kiwi, a child made a bad decision and cost himself and others their lives. There is nothing good that comes from tragic death, lessons can be learned in a much less severe form at that age.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:09 AM

Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts
2006 E55 Wagon (RIP), 2019 E63S Wagon (Sold) 2023 AMG GT634S
It's probably a good thing that the M5board posts were restored - because otherwise - he would have found himself in a whole heap of ^&%#.

If I were a parent of one of the "passengers", I'd be gathering such evidence to further my lawsuit. You KNOW it's gonna happen. He KNEW he was driving a missile. He KNEW that he had been warned about the skills required to drive the car. He had been WARNED not even one day prior that he was headed for a disaster.

Removing those posts were akin to destroying evidence.

The fact that they promote high speed airport runs is a whole other story. I don't think they (he) will escape this without some sort of litigation.

And I have to agree - if I had children, their first cars would be DIESEL Mercedes wagons or 10 year old Volvo 240's. Very little tempation to "prove" anything in those cars.

The father that made the bad decision to give this kid a 500 HP car paid with the loss of his son, and will most likely pay with everything else he has when the courts get through with him - it was registered to him and I am sure he's heavily insured - but everyone's umbrella coverage has limits - and nothing could prepare you to try to get coverage for killing 4 other people.

Once again - his internet expoits are going to bite him in the ****. It would seem to point to a higher charge or willful disregard to safety, etc. making what MAY have been looked at as a terrible accident into an act with gross negligence......
Old 01-28-2008, 09:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
Originally Posted by Zod

+1 million!

KiwiRobbie, WTF!?

I've gotten into cars before and only found out later that the driver was high or drunk. If he whiped out would that mean that I am to blame? The fact is that 5 kids died. If you don't find that a tradgedy then don't post here.

Its probably people like you who would let rapists out of prison to walk the streets so they can strike again, but feel some kid who had a little too much alcohol and horsepower deserves his death, as well as the 4 kids who were riding along.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Formula Mazda, Beast Junior...400HP 135i
I similar accident just happened 30 minutes from where I live...a WRX with several youths in it hit a traffic pole at 90-100MPH and was ripped to bits like that M5 with everyone dead. Very tragic!

The bottom line is that there are too many cars with big horsepower that are accessible to people you aren't trained to drive them. Driver training should be a mandatory part of the licensing process like it is in many European countries so drivers can learn something about vehicle dynamics. Most adults with fast cars have no clue what vehicle dynamics are all about, let alone younger drivers.

Age has little to do with the problem, instead it is gross lack of skill and training. I know plenty of young racers that are very skilled and that I would trust on the street in anything. I also know far more adults with fast cars that I wouldn't want to share a parking lot with, let alone a highway!

I guess in a country where it is difficult to find a road with a speed limit of more than 65MPH, training is thought of as unneeded.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 558 Likes on 368 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
I don't know if it's so much a matter of age but experience behind the wheel. There are and have been 18 year old F1 drivers. Given, every F1 driver is the exception to the rule with unreal reflexes and near psychic knowledge of their cars, but the difference is in their experience. Most of those guys have been riding go-karts since they were able to walk.

I have long been an advocate of some sort of mandatory training and retesting program for drivers in the US. There are millions of people on US roads who have no right to be behind the wheel for myriad reasons. Elderly drivers should be tested AT LEAST once a year to see if they're still capable of driving responsibly, and the permit period for driving should be at least 2 years with mandatory driving school for anyone wishing to drive a vehicle over a certain displacement/horsepower rating.

Now I'm not a fan of big government, or having my rights stripped away in this "free" country but I think all of us have the right to get home safe, without grandpa padding the brakes at 45 in the left lane or some 17 year old girl plowing through Priuses on her cell phone at the helm of an H2.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:58 AM

2003 E55 AMG
I am 20 years old. I am not trying to say that every body should be able to get behind the wheel of a high horsepower vehicle, just everybody responsible enough to.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Originally Posted by Blacksport350
Age has little to do with the problem, instead it is gross lack of skill and training. I know plenty of young racers that are very skilled and that I would trust on the street in anything. I also know far more adults with fast cars that I wouldn't want to share a parking lot with, let alone a highway!
Please, it has every thing to do with age. don't perpetuate the falsehood.
Young drivers think they are good and safe drivers, nothing could be farther from the truth. Believe me the insurance companies know the facts and the 16-25 are the worst risk group, End of story, Not looking for a debate.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showpost....2&postcount=61
Old 01-28-2008, 10:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Originally Posted by NdnMbLova
It is just a matter of time before lawyers start snooping around here ( Kill Stories) for dirt.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 558 Likes on 368 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
You made me ruin my perfect 3,000 post count.

Originally Posted by rahulanand1130
I am 20 years old. I am not trying to say that every body should be able to get behind the wheel of a high horsepower vehicle, just everybody responsible enough to.
No offense to you buddy, but I think we'd all feel a bit safer if they'd taught you a little about apexing, chassis dynamics, slip angles, corner loading and weight transfer. I learned these things the hard way and I'm glad no one got hurt, I hope you take this as a solemn reminder that you need to learn your car thoroughly, and in a safe place.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
2007 E63 w/P30 and Eurotech CF Diffuser
The discussion continues between age/wisdom and skill.

If Lewis Hamilton had someone do something unexpected because they did not realize he was there doing 120MPH bad things would have happened.

Skill and understanding are one thing. Judgement and wisdom are what you do with them. The second is highly dependant on age.

I also agree on experience behind the wheel. Understanding aerodynamics does not make you a good pilot, but you need to know them to be one.

rahulanand1130, talking about "responsible enough" the description in one of your old posts sounds similar to the recent incident. freaky.

weird top end acceleration

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At about 3 oclock in the morning today i decided to take my car for a ride since the roads were deserted in mexico. After going around some twistys and getting a little sideways i hit a major road for a top end run and when i hit 115 the cars acceleration just seemed to stop. I know this isnt how my car accelerates since when i hit 140 in it before it just felt like it had so much more. Anyone know why, my guess was overheating

Last edited by Jon2007E63P30; 01-28-2008 at 10:50 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Five Killed In A 2008 BMW M5