Sponsored by:

Five Killed In A 2008 BMW M5

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 09:12 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
2024 AMG G63, 2023 Bentley GTC Speed
Originally Posted by AmenMercedesGo
I sue kids and their parents all the time for a lot less, but the parent's assets are directly exposed above and beyond their auto liability policy. The insurance company could argue assumption of the risk by the passengers as a defense, but they will not given the gravity of the horrible deaths that ensued.

The parents are exposed under what is called the Family Purpose Doctrine....

Family Purpose Doctrine (n. Regulation that makes an automobile's owner responsible for damages to anyone who is injured which the automobile is driven by a family member, either with or without the owner's permission. This rule of law is applied under the theory that the vehicle is owned for family purposes. Some states use this law instead of requiring a registered owner to be liable for damages caused by anyone who drives his/her car with permission. )

....all of their personal assets including the Parent's home and bank accounts are exposed to a Wrongful Death Judgment.
In Florida, homestead property would not be subject to wrongful death judgement.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:34 PM

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts
'08 CL63
Here locally the population seems split on thier attitudes of the crash. Many are simply mourning their friends & family and don't want to hear to fault or blame on anyone "they were saints". Of course the other side (IMO) looks at it objectively & hopes this turns into a valuable lesson for other drivers & parents.

I haven't been down to the crash site, although I've been tempted. I imagine I'll get there in the next few days, eyeball the area & say a prayer for them.

The most unfortunate part is that I'm almost positive that other than their friends & family, this will be forgotten about in a year or so, once the investigation & any legal suits are completed. No one will learn from it & then they will have truly died for nothing.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 612 Scaglietti
God Bless the families of these young ones. Unfortunetly, these five kids ended their lives short because of this tragic accident. As far as kids having fast cars, i personally think it is the way you raise your kids. My brothers sons first car was a bmw m3 and then he recently got an m6. I have seen him drive and my brother has sent him to many driving schools. He is currently 19 (started with the m3 at 16) and has not been in a single accident, nor does he have any major tickets (one stop sign). We do not constantly remind him about how dangerous it is to drive fast, but while raising him, we simply explained to him to take it easy. He occasionally calls me and tells me that he wants to go to the track, i simply say ok and go with him. I think everyone needs to build trust with their kids so that you will always be aware of how your kids are driving and many other things.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Originally Posted by Andy0331
Here locally the population seems split on thier attitudes of the crash. Many are simply mourning their friends & family and don't want to hear to fault or blame on anyone "they were saints". Of course the other side (IMO) looks at it objectively & hopes this turns into a valuable lesson for other drivers & parents.

I haven't been down to the crash site, although I've been tempted. I imagine I'll get there in the next few days, eyeball the area & say a prayer for them.

The most unfortunate part is that I'm almost positive that other than their friends & family, this will be forgotten about in a year or so, once the investigation & any legal suits are completed. No one will learn from it & then they will have truly died for nothing.
Sadly, I agree. Part of being young is always thinking there will be a tomorrow. Unfortunately, the closer you get to death (getting older) the more you realize it could all end tomorrow. It's part of a parent's job...a somber part of parenting...but nonetheless critical that we remind our kids of consequences of bad decisions. My dad taught me tough love and the older I get the more I appreciate it...

I remember when I had a traffic ticket which I didn't take care of when I was 18 and the cops stopped me when he heard me around the corner (stereo too loud - I know stupid) and he ran my license and arrested me for driving with a suspended license. I called my Dad to bail me out but I ended up spending 4 hours in a holding tank and the night in a cell...He came the next day and asked me how I liked being jailed for being an idiot (his exact words). He was right and I learned what could and will happen if I didn't wake up and realize being an adult isn't just being 18 but taking on the responsibility for your actions.

Too bad these kids won't have the opportunity to learn from their mistake. I hope the parents of the kids who died will learn from this tragedy when dealing with their other kids (if they have any).
Old 01-29-2008, 11:20 PM
Almost a Member!

2006 M6
Originally Posted by ItalianStallion
Would you guys view this as any different if the car was an M5 or a 528i? I'm just curious if this would be treated differently by these forum members if the car only had 250hp, yet was still traveling at 140+-mph.

I never drove any different when I had access to a CLK500 and an SL55 at 16 years old. I wouldn't go any faster in the 500hp SL than the 300hp CLK. I may have gotten there quicker with the SL but thats it. Top speed and driving habits were all the same no matter which car I was in.

I have a friend with a '97 Maxima which is slow as hell, yet he cruises highways above 130mph. Yes, the car can influence the driver to go faster...but it is really up to the driver's maturity level and common sense.

I think you raise a good point. How many people on this planet have driven a modern 500 hp car? How many have really pushed it beyond the legal speed limits?

The adult driver in this case had absolutely NO perspective on speed. With modern 500 hp cars, you get up to speed so quickly and seamlessly that it doesn't even create a sense of fear....in fact, AMGs / M cars buffers drivers at these high speeds....

Anyway more ammo for the insurance companies that <25 males should pay an ultra high premium.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:35 PM
Administrator

Received 512 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
I sue kids and their parents all the time for a lot less, but the parent's assets are directly exposed above and beyond their auto liability policy. The insurance company could argue assumption of the risk by the passengers as a defense, but they will not given the gravity of the horrible deaths that ensued.

The parents are exposed under what is called the Family Purpose Doctrine....

Family Purpose Doctrine (n. Regulation that makes an automobile's owner responsible for damages to anyone who is injured which the automobile is driven by a family member, either with or without the owner's permission. This rule of law is applied under the theory that the vehicle is owned for family purposes. Some states use this law instead of requiring a registered owner to be liable for damages caused by anyone who drives his/her car with permission. )

....all of their personal assets including the Parent's home and bank accounts are exposed to a Wrongful Death Judgment.
What a sad and pathetic world we live in when we constantly need to find someone to blame for another individual's poor judgement. Why can't we accept the fact that these young adults all made a bad decision and paid the ultimate price? The facts are.......they were all legal adults.....they all choose to be in that car at it 3:30 am....... they were all trespassing on a private airfield..... they were all VERY illegally traveling at 140+mph in the dark..........and they may have been intoxicated. Wow!! I'm shocked they died.............................and it is obvious that the parents are to blame.

Regardless of the legal jargon. These were adults, they made a bad decision and now they are all dead. End of story!!

Last edited by Rock; 01-30-2008 at 06:13 AM.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:12 AM

'08 CL63
Originally Posted by Rock
What a sad and pathetic world we live in when we constantly need to find someone to blame for another individual's poor judgement. Why can't we accept the fact that these young adults all made a bad decision and paid the ultimate price? The fact is.......they were all legal adults.....they all choose to be in that car at it 3:30 am....... they were all trespassing on a private airfield..... they were all VERY illegally traveling at 140+mph in the dark..........and they may have been intoxicated. Wow!! I'm shocked they died.............................and it is obvious that the parents are to blame.

Regardless of the legal jargon. These were adults, they made a bad decision and now they are all dead. End of story!!
I agree for the most part, but these were "very young adults", who, as far as I know all still lived at home with their parents. They weren't out of the nest yet & most likely didn't have many real responsibilities or life experience gained from having a job, paying rent, paying insurance. I bet their only concerns were minimal schoolwork at the community college, getting laid & scoring alcohol or drugs.

The ultimate responsibility does lie with the "victims", but if their parents had spent more time instilling values & common sense into them, we might not be reading about this now. I don't know the drivers family personally, but I get the feeling that the parents tried to buy their kids love rather than earn it through interaction with the kid. In one video, a classmate talks about how he always had the nicest clothes, nicest cars, looked good, etc. It just smacks of spoiled rich kid with no values to me. => Parental problem.

http://link.brightcove.com/services/...ctid1392476699

Last edited by Andy0331; 01-30-2008 at 12:14 AM.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
I agree for the most part, but these were "very young adults", who, as far as I know all still lived at home with their parents. They weren't out of the nest yet & most likely didn't have many real responsibilities or life experience gained from having a job, paying rent, paying insurance. I bet their only concerns were minimal schoolwork at the community college, getting laid & scoring alcohol or drugs.

The ultimate responsibility does lie with the "victims", but if their parents had spent more time instilling values & common sense into them, we might not be reading about this now. I don't know the drivers family personally, but I get the feeling that the parents tried to buy their kids love rather than earn it through interaction with the kid. In one video, a classmate talks about how he always had the nicest clothes, nicest cars, looked good, etc. It just smacks of spoiled rich kid with no values to me. => Parental problem.

http://link.brightcove.com/services/...ctid1392476699
The lessons learned with this tragedy should be our own personal verification that we need to be better parents who can only try to instill common sense, personal responsibility, and a sense of fear into our own kids. I can't do the Hillary it takes a village crap...I can only do the best within my own family and hope that is enough...

Kids today seem to have no sense of fear of what could happen from wrong decisions or bad behavior...I pray for them to see the light before they hurt themselves or others, but I won't hold my breath.

The other families can sue all they want but whatever money they get would be a hollow victory...It won't take away the misery of outliving your child.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:26 AM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 186 Likes on 135 Posts
It just smacks of spoiled rich kid with no values to me. => Parental problem.
Some kids just do not respond no matter the reasoning tactics used by their parents; letting the kid drive a brand new M5 (let alone till 4 am) certainly did not help things.
I have a client who's 17 & 18 year old kids are spoiled rotten and constantly disrespect them...yet the parents never truly lay the law down. Spare the rod....

Last edited by RJC; 01-30-2008 at 12:41 AM.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by RJC
Some kids just do not respond no matter the reasoning tactics used by their parents; giving the kid an M5 to use certainly did not help things.
I have a client who's 17 & 18 year old kids are spoiled rotten and constantly disrespect them...yet the parents never truly lay the law down. Spare the rod....
I can't see how you can teach respect at that late stage...you have to start young and make it memorable. I remember acting up when I was maybe 5-6 year old crying for whatever reason...my dad threw me in a closet. I remember crying until I got so tired that I just gave up...

I remember pouting in the back of my dad's car when I was 9yrs old because I didn't want to go to some store with my parents...basically acting like a brat...he warned me if I didn't knock it off I would have a real reason to cry...I didn't stop pouting and he stopped the car, threw me out, and said I could walk home and he drove off...(he only drove about a 2 blocks)...I started to cry...he turned around and asked me if I wanted to keep pouting and told me to get in...I was cool with the ride from then on...

That was back in the day (70's) and you probably couldn't get away with that now, but the main point is that I feared and respected my Dad because he would follow through...I screw up I knew something bad was going to happen to me...he told me that would happen to me throughout life...its a truism that I don't think happens enough today though until its too late and the end result is tragic like this...
Old 01-30-2008, 12:42 AM

'08 CL63
Originally Posted by RJC
Some kids just do not respond no matter the reasoning tactics used by their parents; letting the kid drive a brand new M5 certainly did not help things.

Very true. It's probably my a-hole Marine Corps NCO mentality and the fact that my parents didn't give me anything "extra" as a kid, that I don't believe in rewarding and further enabling bad behavior.

I wanted a truck; my *** was flipping burgers at Burger King while my friends were out partying after school.

IF this kid deserved a vehicle "given" to him, it should have been a super sweet sexy VESPA scooter & a raincoat for when it's wet. I doubt he would have been doing speed runs in that.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:44 AM

'08 CL63
Originally Posted by AMGfan
I can't see how you can teach respect at that late stage...you have to start young and make it memorable. I remember acting up when I was maybe 5-6 year old crying for whatever reason...my dad threw me in a closet. I remember crying until I got so tired that I just gave up...
Damn, I thought I was an only child..... Brother? Is that you?

LOL!
Old 01-30-2008, 12:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Damn, I thought I was an only child..... Brother? Is that you?

LOL!
Old 01-30-2008, 12:47 AM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 186 Likes on 135 Posts
I can't see how you can teach respect at that late stage...you have to start young and make it memorable. .
That's a big part of it, which many parents today have failed to do...the kids (and anyone for that matter) have to know that there will be consequences for their improper or irresponsible actions; but I guess they all have learned that now as they paid the ultimate price.

A wise person learns from their mistakes...a very wise person learns from other people’s mistakes...
Old 01-30-2008, 01:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 S65, 06 M3 CS(stick), 02 BMW X5 4.6iS, 07 R1 Raven, 08 F-450 4x4, 08 CooperS JCW
Originally Posted by 06CLK350
My brothers sons first car was a bmw m3 and then he recently got an m6. I have seen him drive and my brother has sent him to many driving schools. He is currently 19
19 with an M6 and residing in southern cal. Whoopee! warn me when he's on the loose so I can keep my family in the house.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
2007 E63 w/P30 and Eurotech CF Diffuser
Kiwi.................

Rmember Kiwi's pictures of the Audi broken in half?

Turns out a BMW was in the mix with this as well.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...509625656415&q

Kiwi..........................
Old 01-30-2008, 01:44 AM
Almost a Member!

2006 M6
Originally Posted by Jon2007E63P30

That M5 just crashed a couple of months ago, the driver is a member of the M5board. A truck cut him off or something. That Audi is old news.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by Jon2007E63P30

^ Beat me to it but here's the thread for any interested. Tire blow-out at 180km/h and not a scratch on any of them.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/sho...+touring+crash
Old 01-30-2008, 02:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05 E55
Originally Posted by BoBcanada
Do you guys think that m5board airstrip videos and other videos might play bad influence on youngsters?
whoa... yeah... and maybe a website that condones / allows / houses said content and dangerous behavior may be an accessory to manslaughter....

You know someone is going to play the "video games make them violent" card soon...

Loren
Old 01-30-2008, 07:19 AM

2005 E55 Black / Black Every available option except Sat radio

I remember pouting in the back of my dad's car when I was 9yrs old because I didn't want to go to some store with my parents...basically acting like a brat...he warned me if I didn't knock it off I would have a real reason to cry...I didn't stop pouting and he stopped the car, threw me out, and said I could walk home and he drove off...(he only drove about a 2 blocks)...I started to cry...he turned around and asked me if I wanted to keep pouting and told me to get in...I was cool with the ride from then on...

That was back in the day (70's) and you probably couldn't get away with that now, but the main point is that I feared and respected my Dad because he would follow through...I screw up I knew something bad was going to happen to me...he told me that would happen to me throughout life...its a truism that I don't think happens enough today though until its too late and the end result is tragic like this...

+1.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:06 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2016 E63S W212 Matte Gray
Originally Posted by CWW
In FL, the owner of a vehicle is liable for damages caused by the vehicle along with the driver, even if unrelated, unless the car has been stolen or some such.

The parents are on the hook, big-time.
Glad to not be living in Fl right now. Painful law.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:10 AM

I sue kids and their parents all the time for a lot less

I don't mean to turn this sad thread into a "Tort Reform" thread, but here you go...... This says it all.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:29 PM

'08 CL63
Is one of you guys posting on the Ocala boards as "FelixDaHouseCat"?

If not, we're being watched as well: http://forums.ocala.com/eve/forums/a...211086986/p/28

About halfway down, his post starts with an almost word for word copy of what I posted last night, along with other things that I've read here (might not be word for word, but wouldn't surprise me).
Old 01-30-2008, 02:06 PM

Is one of you guys posting on the Ocala boards as "FelixDaHouseCat"?

If not, we're being watched as well: http://forums.ocala.com/eve/forums/a...211086986/p/28

About halfway down, his post starts with an almost word for word copy of what I posted last night, along with other things that I've read here (might not be word for word, but wouldn't surprise me).
Not me; never heard of the Ocala boards.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:23 PM

'08 CL63
The "Ocala boards" are just the local newspapers forums, where they're into 30 pages of discussion on the accident.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Five Killed In A 2008 BMW M5