Tunning Horrific Nightmare

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 10:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG E55, Stage 1, Strait Pipe from Primary Cats
Originally Posted by LZH
Interesting this is your first post in such a heated discussion and your post seems to favor EE. Did someone at EE ask you to come here and post ?
+1
Old 02-03-2008, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
This just gets scarier and scarier.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
2017.E300 / 2015.GL450
Originally Posted by LZH
Interesting this is your first post in such a heated discussion and your post seems to favor EE. Did someone at EE ask you to come here and post ?
Hi LZH,

Actually, it's not my first post. I've been around for quite some time (6+ years) on a different handle (in the W210 days). And no, nobody asked me to come on and post. I just read this yesterday and it just sounded so eerily familiar. I just confirmed that these were the guys I met earlier in the week.

As for being pro 'shop'... I have never had a problem with any of the work they've done. At the same time, if something had gone wrong, it's what insurance and extended warranties are for. If they want to compensate me for my time, great. However, I know it's not reasonable to ask for more than being made whole.

At the same time, these guys seemed like very nice folks on first impression. And it's in their every right to demand their bumper be fixed. But it should be a claim with the tow company, not 'the shop.' As in previous posts, they are expecting 'the shop' to absorb the liability (through chain effect as their logic). That's sounds like emotional rationale as opposed to logical.

Again, I sympathize with their frustration. However, I do not approve of any form of extortion. Here is how that is defined: "Most states define extortion as the gaining of property or money by almost any kind of force, or threat of 1) violence, 2) property damage, 3) harm to reputation, or 4) unfavorable government action."

'I want the ELM AND the ECU tuning gratis, or we'll see you in court.'
'I want the ELM AND the ECU tuning gratis, or we'll make this very public.'

Not okay in my book...

If the shop has met their obligation to repair the vehicles and return them to like original (or better), then this soapbox is moot. I honestly (withtanding being a client) feel like the burden has already been met.

Last edited by foreverbeta; 02-03-2008 at 11:13 PM.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:54 PM

2017.E300 / 2015.GL450
Originally Posted by Timeless
This just gets scarier and scarier.
ISN'T IT THOUGH??

It was quite the coincidence when I read the thread... wondering "no, it couldn't be the same day... the same shop... the same guys..." But sure enough, it is. And really, no one asked me to jump in. I'm just giving my opinion as a bystander who is closer to the action.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55 AMG and 2003 C320 4Matic Miss my 993 Turbo above!!
Originally Posted by juicee63
Anybody else with problems with an ECU tune or anything else members here should be made aware of?

Should members with Olivers map be worried , I am not feeling too good right about now

I have done around 30 or so Quarter mile track runs since Oliver did my tune so I am hoping I have nothing to worry about. If something were to happen, I suspect it would have happened by now. Maybe the ECU tune is not the issue but the TCU tune that was done. I am wondering what we should do as clients of Olivers tuning?? What a mess man............

Last edited by higginsbeach; 02-03-2008 at 11:26 PM.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 AMG C63 S
Originally Posted by LZH
I agree, sounds like a typical CYA post by someone with a vested interest in the outcome of this whole conundrum.

Last edited by sack5000; 02-03-2008 at 11:14 PM.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by higginsbeach
I have done around 30 or so Quarter mile track runs since Oliver did my tune so I am hoping I have nothing to worry about. If something were to happen, I suspect it would have happened by now. Maybe the ECU tune is not the issue but the TCU tune that was done. I am wondering what we should do as clients of Olivers tuning?? What a mess man............VRP CAMS and Timing, ECU/TCU and whatever else is out there that noone has mentioned.....
I have also had the tune since Dec 07 no problems .. Did you notice an improvement after the tune , or was your tune coupled with other mods ? Did your runs improve , looks like they did.

EE obviously has had a number of satisfied customers, just seems many of the negative ones are surfacing the last couple days

Last edited by juicee63; 02-03-2008 at 11:16 PM.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:17 PM
Almost a Member!

CLS55, BMW 540, SUPRA
My suspicions have all along have come true after all. I really do feel bad for all these guys, and I am sure for every one that is coming forward, there are three other ones that wont. This is why i am very against using customers' cars for R&D purposes. People get too excited and will post videos and putting these so called tuners/fabricators on level with god and everybody else jumps on the bandwagon.

I would say unless you have extra time and are wiping you asses with C notes then stay away form any mod/upgrade until at least 10cars have been done fully, tested a few xxxxx miles have been driven, dyno sheets posted before you pull the trigger.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:19 PM

Not an AMG :(
Originally Posted by foreverbeta
.........Do you go to Vegas and then ask for your money back when you lose?!..........
Is this a joke? Since when did paying for performance modifications become on par with pi$$ing your money away whilst gambling??
Seriously though, is this the general consensus from the majority of forum members here regarding performance modifications?
Does the customer not even have a reasonable expectation of zero - modest results (not even considering an optimal outcome) when we pay for modifications? I understand that every car may be somewhat different, but come on..!!
Obviously many mods described on this forum require a lot of initial R&D and brave souls to offer their vehicles as 'test mules'. But... what about those mods that are on the market and supposedly 'tried and tested'?
We all know that MB may or may not honor your warranty if you mod your car. If something malfunctions because of insufficient R&D or attention on the part of the vendor is that IT? Are we S.O.L.?

I gotta say - this thread has been a real eye-opener for me. While acknowledging that a lot of you guys doing serious mods have cars far more valuable than mine, I will definitely not be going the 'mod' route if this is the type of outcome I can expect if things go south.

Anyone else having 'AMGSC / HPS' flashbacks?
Old 02-03-2008, 11:20 PM

06 S55 AMG, 03 SL55 AMG, 02 S430(sold), 05 F150, 06 Ranger, My baby 07 HD Rdking
Wow, you must be a fortune teller, not once in this post or any other, I asked for a free ecu, or ELM, but you came here on your own saying that I did, let me guess they never talked to you about this, nor they ever asked you to post for them, nice. As for when we were double booked with you, you've been scheduled for two weeks, where when we talked to them the same day, they said the S65 will be done that same day a little after 3:00 Pm wasn't your appt. at 4:00 pm, then why wasn't the car done before, how come they ordered the wrong parts, and ignored us telling them so untill 10:00 pm. As for our cars have been bought from auctions, where do you come up with this stuff, we bought our cars from highly reputable dealers. can you please now tell me how did you come up with all of these ideas, I sure as hell never told you anything of this nature, I would know where we bought the cars from. Before you sit here and point fingures, because you're buddy, buddy with those guys get your facts straight, I understand that they dissed us for you, made us wait for 5 hrs to do your brake job, maybe that's why, honestley I would defend them too.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:21 PM

2017.E300 / 2015.GL450
Originally Posted by sack5000
I agree, sounds like a typical CYA post by someone with a vested interest in the outcome of this whole conundrum.
sack5000, way to take the thread off track with your conspiracy theory!

I LOVE IT!

but no, i do not have a vested interest in the outcome of this situation. what do YOU think is a fair outcome? do YOU think it has been met? if not, what else could 'the shop' do for them? do YOU think extortion tactics are fair? how do YOU think a court or mediator would award the plaintiffs?

YES, it's easy to cry conspiracy theory. BUT NO, it does not help the situation come to a resolve. And am I not entitled to post my opinion? The last I checked this is still America (at least where I am). Yes, it's a place where I am protected by the first amendment to free speech. Also, last I checked, this was a public forum on the Internet, where someone with as few as 5 posts can speak their mind, the same way someone with 1,000 posts can speak theirs.

Old 02-03-2008, 11:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
Even though I have had my car modded a year ago via Euroelites, and as of yet had no problems, I'm really getting a feeling of nausea right now. Renntech did the actual modifications as Adam was only a middleman in the deal ( I think Jeff actually did the work at Renntech). I sure hope this kind of story doesn't trickle down to me too.

One thing is for sure, even if I don't ever have problems with my Renntech upgrades, I'm never doing this again on a future car again.

I really can't understand how doing ECU/TCU upgrades can get such differing results from one car to another car of the same exact model???. Looks like a program is a program is a program.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:37 PM

2017.E300 / 2015.GL450
Originally Posted by BallzyS55
Wow, you must be a fortune teller, not once in this post or any other, I asked for a free ecu, or ELM, but you came here on your own saying that I did, let me guess they never talked to you about this, nor they ever asked you to post for them, nice. As for when we were double booked with you, you've been scheduled for two weeks, where when we talked to them the same day, they said the S65 will be done that same day a little after 3:00 Pm wasn't your appt. at 4:00 pm, then why wasn't the car done before, how come they ordered the wrong parts, and ignored us telling them so untill 10:00 pm. As for our cars have been bought from auctions, where do you come up with this stuff, we bought our cars from highly reputable dealers. can you please now tell me how did you come up with all of these ideas, I sure as hell never told you anything of this nature, I would know where we bought the cars from. Before you sit here and point fingures, because you're buddy, buddy with those guys get your facts straight, I understand that they dissed us for you, made us wait for 5 hrs to do your brake job, maybe that's why, honestley I would defend them too.
I never said i didn't talk to them. I only said nobody asked me to come on here and post. I still stand by that statement.

If I were you, I'd be upset, too. I don't have any negative opinion of you and your cousin. In fact, we got along great. So, I have no reason to 'fight' against you. I'm not being paid or incentivized to speak my opinion either.

Now, with regard to your post, even if the cars did not come by way of dealer auction (which honestly MANY used cars do), you still don't know how the car was driven in the past. Bad cars come from reputable dealers. Sometimes, even new cars are bad cars. Hence, the term 'lemon car.' Yet, somehow these cars pass factory inspection/QA.

But that is not the issue at hand. The issue is what you want to receive as a result of the problems experienced. Unfortunately, asking for your time to be compensated just isn't reasonable. You can't ask the doctor to discount your bill because he had a backup of patients before you, can you? If you can, I'd love to get the name and number of your doctor.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:38 PM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
SL600
This thread is ridiculous.

The OP obviously has the cars he says he does...look at his stuff on youtube. The OP also obviously went into the shop in question and had the experience he said he had with them, because if that weren't the case the shop would be on here screaming "it wasn't us!". They have not. As to the vague references to defamation, the truth is always an absolute defense in defamation actions...so unless there's something hinky going on, then the shop shouldn't worry about posting what really happened.

As to the bumper, the shop ordered and authorized the tow...not the OP. The OP shows up weeks later to find the damage already done. In that scenario, the shop is responsible. It's clearly a bailment, and they are liable for any damage occurring while the car was in their possession. Remember: They called for the tow, not the OP. They were responsible for making sure it went ok.

EE should pay for the bumper and then turn around and collect from the tow company to reimburse themselves, 1: Because legally they will have to do that anyway if the OP pushes the point and 2: Because it's not fair of them to say "oops $%#& happens, so now it's up to YOU to waste your time going after the tow truck driver that we had to call because we $#@!&*% your car up so bad that only the dealer could fix it..." Come on, that's not fair, and you all know it.

I can't believe the amount if crap getting heaped on the OP. This has been a giant hassle for him, and the tuner isn't standing up to make it right. If the OP not only wants his car back in the condition it was when he dropped it off, but also wants a partial refund, a new tune, or some other kind of acknowledgement for his time and headache, then SO WHAT? He deserves some "free $%#&" for having to deal with this crap and being without a car for a month.

And why are people making poorly veiled threats of violence? That's retarded. We're not in middle school, and most people aren't 12-yr olds that you can intimidate with biceps. Somebody shows up at my door threatening me and I won't give two $%&#s about what their muscles look like compared to mine...I don't need much strength to pull the trigger. Threaten enough people and you'll eventually run into someone who feels the same way. Perfectly legal too, at least in my state.

This thread just makes me ill. The OP is owed an apology, both by the tuner and by a lot of the folks in this thread.

Way to stick up for your fellow members.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
Ballzy, thanks for posting the issue you had on the tune.

To those that had a similar experience and chose not to post it ... I don't understand that at all. You don't have to slander or libel someone to make a point about quality. Speaking up in a responsible fashion could save others from ruining an engine and wasting money.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:53 PM

I have also had the tune since Dec 07 no problems .. Did you notice an improvement after the tune , or was your tune coupled with other mods ? Did your runs improve , looks like they did.

EE obviously has had a number of satisfied customers, just seems many of the negative ones are surfacing the last couple days
No problems whatsoever........I did realize a gain in trap and ET......I believe I picked up 1.5-2 MPH and .1 - .15 on ET.....

It's a stage 4 tune....Headers, TB etc.. but not for a pully. That would be my next step. Now I am in a quandry based on the thread........I was thinking of a TCU tune but I think I will wait till the dust settles on that matter.

I had great service and timely return of my ECU by Adam........
Old 02-03-2008, 11:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by DFW01E55

To those that had a similar experience and chose not to post it ... I don't understand that at all. You don't have to slander or libel someone to make a point about quality. Speaking up in a responsible fashion could save others from ruining an engine and wasting money.
I am going to be absurdly honest and say "I HAD NO IDEA AN ECU TUNE " could grenade a super charger and implode a tranny. Especially so quickly.

If this can happen it should be told to us prior to paying 2k for a ECU remap. None of the tuners I have used have said anything about the risk of such damage.

How long did it take before the other members here engines failed?
Old 02-03-2008, 11:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030
No problems whatsoever........I did realize a gain in trap and ET......I believe I picked up 1.5-2 MPH and .1 - .15 on ET.....

It's a stage 4 tune....Headers, TB etc.. but not for a pully. That would be my next step. Now I am in a quandry based on the thread........I was thinking of a TCU tune but I think I will wait till the dust settles on that matter.

I had great service and timely return of my ECU by Adam........
This is right in line with what I gained 1-2 mph trap and .05-.1 ET. I also got my ECU back as promised .
Old 02-04-2008, 12:03 AM

I am going to be absurdly honest and say "I HAD NO IDEA AN ECU TUNE " could grenade a super charger and implode a tranny. Especially so quickly.

If this can happen it should be told to us prior to paying 2k for a ECU remap. None of the tuners I have used have said anything about the risk of such damage.

How long did it take before the other members here engines failed?
I believe the installation of the Pully is what caused the jerkiness which seemed to be the basis for getting the SC replaced. No different than my complaint about the jerkiness and chirping. Correct me if i am wrong, but I believe the ECU nor the Pully caused the SC to fail. Also, I believe from what I read it was the TCU tune not the ECU tune that caused the Tranny to fail. Or were both done at the same time so we will never know which did cause the tranny to fry...........
Old 02-04-2008, 12:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030
I believe the installation of the Pully is what caused the jerkiness which seemed to be the basis for getting the SC replaced. No different than my complaint about the jerkiness and chirping. Correct me if i am wrong, but I believe the ECU nor the Pully caused the SC to fail. Also, I believe from what I read it was the TCU tune not the ECU tune that caused the Tranny to fail. Or were both done at the same time so we will never know which did cause the tranny to fry...........
The S65 got an ECU/TCU and the trans failed.
The S55 got ECU and Pulley, and SC failed?

Bumper damaged on the way to dealer,
Old 02-04-2008, 12:21 AM

The S65 got an ECU/TCU and the trans failed.
The S55 got ECU and Pulley, and SC failed?

Bumper damaged on the way to dealer,
Yes, YEs, and Yes,

but I think it was the symptons of the ECU and Pully install that got them a new SC. Not sure if the SC actually failed. For instance, my SC was most likely fine, but the jerkiness and chirping was enough of a concern for MB to replace the SC.........
Old 02-04-2008, 12:36 AM

07 SL550; C32 (sold)
Originally Posted by DFW01E55

look at how the members reacted against ballz when they found out it was EE and you can see why. someone posts their experience on something and they get attacked if he/she disagree w/ him. that could be a reason?
Old 02-04-2008, 12:37 AM

05 e55

i have had my tune, pulley,header and tb for over a month and have had no significant issues with it, one CEL but took it back last wednesday for some adjustments after my run in. some of the posts in this thread are comical and a few hit the nail on the head... this is not an attack on the OP nor an endorsement for EE, I dont believe every post i read about great results and the same for bad results. although with all the rumors floating out there maybe it would be the time for people to come forward and air their grievances on every vendor, I'm sure that every tuner and or vendor has made a mistake in a tune and or in the mod-ding of these cars at one point. what we dont usually hear about are the cars that dont get fixed , and or that have engines seize or that specific dealers are really bad with dealing with mods... my mod days are over for my e55 and will look forward to modding my Z06 .
Old 02-04-2008, 12:55 AM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Originally Posted by CWW
This thread is ridiculous.

The OP obviously has the cars he says he does...look at his stuff on youtube. The OP also obviously went into the shop in question and had the experience he said he had with them, because if that weren't the case the shop would be on here screaming "it wasn't us!". They have not. As to the vague references to defamation, the truth is always an absolute defense in defamation actions...so unless there's something hinky going on, then the shop shouldn't worry about posting what really happened.

As to the bumper, the shop ordered and authorized the tow...not the OP. The OP shows up weeks later to find the damage already done. In that scenario, the shop is responsible. It's clearly a bailment, and they are liable for any damage occurring while the car was in their possession. Remember: They called for the tow, not the OP. They were responsible for making sure it went ok.

EE should pay for the bumper and then turn around and collect from the tow company to reimburse themselves, 1: Because legally they will have to do that anyway if the OP pushes the point and 2: Because it's not fair of them to say "oops $%#& happens, so now it's up to YOU to waste your time going after the tow truck driver that we had to call because we $#@!&*% your car up so bad that only the dealer could fix it..." Come on, that's not fair, and you all know it.

I can't believe the amount if crap getting heaped on the OP. This has been a giant hassle for him, and the tuner isn't standing up to make it right. If the OP not only wants his car back in the condition it was when he dropped it off, but also wants a partial refund, a new tune, or some other kind of acknowledgement for his time and headache, then SO WHAT? He deserves some "free $%#&" for having to deal with this crap and being without a car for a month.

And why are people making poorly veiled threats of violence? That's retarded. We're not in middle school, and most people aren't 12-yr olds that you can intimidate with biceps. Somebody shows up at my door threatening me and I won't give two $%&#s about what their muscles look like compared to mine...I don't need much strength to pull the trigger. Threaten enough people and you'll eventually run into someone who feels the same way. Perfectly legal too, at least in my state.

This thread just makes me ill. The OP is owed an apology, both by the tuner and by a lot of the folks in this thread.

Way to stick up for your fellow members.
EXCELLENT post and I agree 100%. However, as I've said before....I would really like for Adam or whomever from EE to quit hiding, becasue we all know they are reading this, and post up your side of the story.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
Yes, YEs, and Yes,

but I think it was the symptons of the ECU and Pully install that got them a new SC. Not sure if the SC actually failed. For instance, my SC was most likely fine, but the jerkiness and chirping was enough of a concern for MB to replace the SC.........
Kindly explain how the jerkiness and chirping is an indication of S/C failing? I thought the jerkiness is just because bigger pulley, hence, initial S/C speed is higher. Same thing for chirping. So bigger pulley is more like you drop your clutch at higher RPM. The clutch may hurt... but the S/C should not.

Also, OP, could you kindly tell us how you knew your S/C needed to be replaced? Is there a difference in feeling between S/C failing vs. pump failing?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tunning Horrific Nightmare