Sponsored by:

Quaiffe versus Kleemann differential

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 12:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05 E55
Quaife versus Kleemann differential

Are there any owners here who have experienced both the Quaife and Kleemann diffs (maybe switched from one to the other)? I have a Kleemann and I'm considering trying the Quaiffe out. My car has always rocked and swayed since the Kleemann diff, and I'm tired of it.

But if that's just the by-product of both diffs, then obviously no point in switching. If the Quaiffe goes truer and straighter, I'd be going for it.

Help? THANKS!

Loren

Last edited by FlyByNight; 04-08-2008 at 05:03 PM.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by FlyByNight
Are there any owners here who have experienced both the Quaiffe and Kleemann diffs (maybe switched from one to the other)? I have a Kleemann and I'm considering trying the Quaiffe out. My car has always rocked and swayed since the Kleemann diff, and I'm tired of it.

But if that's just the by-product of both diffs, then obviously no point in switching. If the Quaiffe goes truer and straighter, I'd be going for it.

Help? THANKS!

Loren
I've read that the Kleemann differential is a lot more aggressive and geared towards very high performance, but lacks the reliability of Quaife. I personally haven't tried the Kleemann differential but have had Quaife on my modified C32 for some time and was extremely happy with it. The car performed well in straights and on an oval track. Quaife guarantees their products for a lifetime even when raced (yes, it states that on their warranty ). It's very high quality and good value for the money.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:20 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
monowiper
search
it's been discussed many many times
Old 04-08-2008, 05:09 PM

05 E55
I'm bad at searching then... I can't find a single thread or post with someone who has experienced both units... just a lot of speculation on either side of the fence. If you could guide me to such a post, I'd really appreciate it!
Old 04-08-2008, 05:24 PM
Administrator

Received 512 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
Loren,

Are you still alive?

Had any need to install the back-up engine yet or do you only admire it as it sits in the corner of your garage? You're the first guy I'm calling when my 55 goes BOOM!!
Old 04-08-2008, 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
I have experienced both units. Don't recall excessive rocking back and forth with my Kleemann unit. Freaky.

We have had reports of rocking back and forth with guys who are making slight contact with the tires and inner fender wells. Scary stuff. No noise, nothing.....just rocking back and forth under acceleration. When they went and looked...BAM!. Tire damage in the inside part of wheel.

I forgot what rims you are running on Loren or if you are dropped.

If one or more of both, perhaps a quick peak with a flashlight at the inner fenders wells to make sure.

Otherwise I actually have felt no difference Klee to Quaiffe. Just my clunking issue with the Klee when going around 90 corners and punching it (one tire would lift and rear gear would slip slightly, then clunk back in place)
Old 04-08-2008, 08:35 PM

I have a quaife in stock for $1300 if you are interested
Old 04-08-2008, 08:45 PM
Out Of Control!!

monowiper
here's a good thread, i know lots of reading but it's good info in there
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...10#post2486310
Old 04-08-2008, 08:50 PM
Out Of Control!!

monowiper
All I know is that the Kleemann is an LSD and basically has a locking mechanism for the spider gears. I think similar to the good 'ol Phantom Grip from my ricer days:

http://www.phantomgrip.com/

The problem with these were that if you didn't put them in right- it could be a very costly mistake.

The Quaife is an ATB, which is a torque biasing limted slip diff. (although they sometimes don't call it an LSD)

http://www.nolimitmotorsport.com/quaife/

I guess it's more like a Torsen diff (AWD cars use Haldex). These are geared torque sensitive diffs rather than clutch-type torque sensitive diffs and speed sensitive diffs like viscous-coupling LSDs.

http://www.torsen.com/products/T-3.htm

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you get a straight answer about the Kleemann versus Quaife.

I ain't putting one of these into my ride until someone stands up and says- "I've got XYZ and it's allowed for me to drive my car like I stole it and everything still works."
hope this helps
Old 04-08-2008, 10:15 PM

03 E55 K2, 98 Dodge Ram2500 diesel/propane, M3 race car, BMW X3
Kleemann diff with no problems

I have a Kleemann diff in place for about 7K miles. No problems at all. No odd driving pattern.. specifically no rocking as you described and that on both Pilotsports and also some drag radials. Car has always run straight and true. Turn off traction and it lays perfectly symmetric tire tracks for as long as you want to burn rubber! No odd clunking. Makes me wonder if there might have been an installation problem with yours. Hope this helps.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
I also heard the Kleemann diff requires more maintenance to keep in good condition as opposed to Quaife.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:47 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
I've had my Kleemann diff for over 15k miles without any problems
Old 04-09-2008, 12:53 PM

05 E55
Hey Rock, yes I'm still around! Daughter arriving in a couple weeks, so I've once again been out of the loop! Spare engine and tranny are on wheels and looking pretty, no use for them yet!

I did a widebody extension on the car JUST so I could get away from the internal rubbing problem associated with larger tires, so I know that's not the problem. No matter what tires / size I've had on the car, I've always had this swaying in the rear during takeoff. Weird stuff.

Thanks guys!
Old 04-09-2008, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
07E63, 12E350, 08997TT, 16SiennaSE
Originally Posted by James@Creative
I have a quaife in stock for $1300 if you are interested
Does this fit W210 E55?

thanks
Old 04-09-2008, 01:56 PM

2004 E55
I had the same problem with the rear swaying from side to side. It turned out to be a broken right rear shock. According to my SA not an uncommon problem with these cars. Both were replaced under warranty and the sway went away. When the shock was bad the rear would clunk on certain bumps, but not all bumps. Only mod I have is 20" Vellanos.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:20 PM
Administrator

Received 512 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
Congrats on the new addition. It's funny how a new child can make you less eager to push that right foot to the floor whenever possible. Does this mean an end to K2Videos Inc. or will you be selling that company?

BTW, Did you get the newest K2 update? CEL and load limit issues have been addressed............better than ever from what I hear. Mine gets shipped to Cory tomorrow.