Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 03:03 PM
MHP
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'09 C63 AMG
Exclamation MHP TCM Tuning Now Available

We now have total control of the W7A700 TCM. Shift points, shift firmness, converter lock up speed, etc. are some of the new variables we can now manipulate. If you want your WOT shifts to hit at 7300-7500rpm (or any other rpm) every time this is for you. We can also control WOT shifting (whiplash firm, or whatever you desire) and part throttle shifting (turn it up or leave it stock, your call).
TCM tuning is like PCM tuning in that we need you to ship us your TCM (or a spare cal'd to your VIN). Turn around time is 5-7 days from the time we recieve your TCM.
Please keep in mind that all TCM tuning is 100% custom and created with your vehicle, and it's exact modifications in mind. You will not be able to sell your tuned TCM to another 6.3 owner, as they are simply that specific.

There will be 2 stages of TCM tuning.

Stage I: Mildly modified vehicles including stock longblock, stock shortblock N/A applications: $1600.00

Stage II: If you're making an insane amount of power and/or send us a laundry list of exactly how everything must work: $2000.00

Please note that pricing reflects the large amount of time it takes to properly reflash a TCM.

Thanks
Andy

Last edited by MHP; 08-25-2008 at 03:52 PM.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:24 PM
Almost a Member!

2004 E55 AMG, 2006 Pontiac GTO
Originally Posted by MHP
We now have total control of the W7A700 TCM. Shift points, shift firmness, converter lock up speed, etc. are some of the new variables we can now manipulate. If you want your WOT shifts to hit at 7300-7500rpm (or any other rpm) every time this is for you. We can also control WOT shifting (whiplash firm, or whatever you desire) and part throttle shifting (turn it up or leave it stock, your call).
TCM tuning is like PCM tuning in that we need you to ship us your TCM (or a spare cal'd to your VIN which we can do). Turn around time is 5-7 days from the time we recieve your TCM.
Please keep in mind that all TCM tuning is 100% custom and created with your vehicle, and it's exact modifications in mind. You will not be able to sell your tuned TCM to another 6.3 owner, as they are simply that specific.

Stage I: Mildly modified vehicles including stock longblock, stock shortblock N/A applications: $1600.00

Stage II: If you're making an insane amount of power and/or send us a laundry list of exactly how everything must work: $2000.00

Please note that pricing reflects the large amount of time it takes to properly reflash a TCM.

Thanks
Andy
since my car is not N/A I would have to pay 2g's?
Old 08-25-2008, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Do you guys have anything available yet for the AMG Black Series 7-speed TCM? This sounds very intersting to me.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:50 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Mirz
since my car is not N/A I would have to pay 2g's?
No. Sorry, pricing for the WA5A variants (less the 900) is $1600.

Thanks
Old 08-25-2008, 03:51 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by jrcart
Do you guys have anything available yet for the AMG Black Series 7-speed TCM? This sounds very intersting to me.
Unless there is something drastically different about the BS TCM (v other 7A TCMs) we can do it. I'm checking on this now...

Thanks
Andy

Last edited by MHP; 08-25-2008 at 03:53 PM.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by MHP
TCM tuning is like PCM tuning in that we need you to ship us your TCM (or a spare cal'd to your VIN). Turn around time is 5-7 days from the time we recieve your TCM.

Thanks
Andy
I'm very interested as well. Here's my question: my car (as well as all 63s in the U.S.) tends to shift at 6400 rpm from 1st to 2nd, but every other subsequent shift is done at 7200 rpm. Can this 1st gear shift be changed to shift always at 7200 rpm when in sport mode.

Does the TCM flash affect the Comfort mode at all?

Jim, I believe the tranny in your Black Series is the same as the one in all 63s. So this should work for you as well.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:55 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
I'm very interested as well. Here's my question: my car (as well as all 63s in the U.S.) tends to shift at 6400 rpm from 1st to 2nd, but every other subsequent shift is done at 7200 rpm. Can this 1st gear shift be changed to shift always at 7200 rpm when in sport mode.
I have the same problem with my C63s 1-2 shift, it occurs lower and at varying rpms than the other WOT upshifts. Yes, we can eliminate this issue and set your trans to shift at whatever rpm you desire 100% of the time when at WOT in sport/comfort mode.

Does the TCM flash affect the Comfort mode at all?
Only if you want it to. We can leave part thorttle shifts (also comfort mode) alone or modify them to your liking.

Thanks
Andy
Old 08-25-2008, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 753 Likes on 734 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
very interesting....
5 days for TCU tune? where r u located?
Old 08-25-2008, 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by MHP
I have the same problem with my C63s 1-2 shift, it occurs lower and at varying rpms than the other WOT upshifts. Yes, we can eliminate this issue and set your trans to shift at whatever rpm you desire 100% of the time when at WOT in sport/comfort mode.

Thanks
Andy
Okay, you got my attention....

So have you tested this yet on your C63? If you program it to shift lets say at 7100 rpm at WOT, does it actually do it?

What about the rev limiter, does it hit the rev limiter at all?

The reason I'm asking is because the only way I can get my car to actually shift at 7200 rpm from 1st to 2nd at WOT is to put it in manual mode, but because of the varying delay, I end up hitting the rev limiter half the time

Last edited by MB_Forever; 08-25-2008 at 04:46 PM.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Very cool, if you guys say it will work for me sign me up. I have read several write ups in mags and online that call the Black Series a "modified version of the 7G speedtronic transmission", that is what promted my question. Am I safe to assume the different final drive ratios in the Black Series will have no effect on this program? I want to go with the most aggressive program available and if you could look into that 1st to 2nd gear shift point that would be great as well.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So have you tested this yet on your C63? If you program it to shift lets say at 7100 rpm at WOT, does it actually do it?

The reason I'm asking is because the only way I can get my car to actually shift at 7200 rpm from 1st to 2nd at WOT is to put it in manual mode, but because if the varying delay, I end up hitting the rev limiter half the time
Wouldn't the rev limiter be an ECU issue not a TCM issue?
Old 08-25-2008, 04:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Wouldn't the rev limiter be an ECU issue not a TCM issue?
You maybe right, I'm not really sure But wherever the problem lies, the computer is able to get away with it on every single up-shift except from 1st to 2nd. Many of us have pressed the issue at the AMG private lounge, as we wrote to AMG about this multiple times, but their reply was not very satisfying; it went something along the lines of this: due to the many factors involved during the 1st to 2nd shift, the computer will pick the most optimum one to maximize performance.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:22 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212

The reason I'm asking is because the only way I can get my car to actually shift at 7200 rpm from 1st to 2nd at WOT is to put it in manual mode, but because if the varying delay, I end up hitting the rev limiter half the time

I'm confused why you want to shift at lower points? If so, why have the rev limit higher than where you want to go? Why not have it be where it shifts? Is the concern that your car will bounce off the limiter? I'm just confused about this.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:33 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by MJ50
very interesting....
5 days for TCU tune? where r u located?
We have two facilities. One in OH and MI.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:36 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG

Yes, I'm presently testing a beta version of the TCM reflash in my own C63. Yes, the shifts happen exactly where we want them to (rpm wise) all the time. I understand what you're saying with the inconsistency in manual mode and dislike it as well.
No the TCM reflash will not cause you to hit the rev limiter. However if you want to shift higher than stock you will need a ECU reflash as well to raise the rev limiter (which is different than raising the actual shift points).

Thanks
Old 08-25-2008, 04:37 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Very cool, if you guys say it will work for me sign me up. I have read several write ups in mags and online that call the Black Series a "modified version of the 7G speedtronic transmission", that is what promted my question. Am I safe to assume the different final drive ratios in the Black Series will have no effect on this program? I want to go with the most aggressive program available and if you could look into that 1st to 2nd gear shift point that would be great as well.
I'll let you know as soon as I hear back regarding the BS TCM, again though, I don't think it will be an issue. Final drive ratio will not cause any problems with our ECU or TCM tuning.

Thanks!
Andy
Old 08-25-2008, 04:39 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
You maybe right, I'm not really sure But wherever the problem lies, the computer is able to get away with it on every single up-shift except from 1st to 2nd. Many of us have pressed the issue at the AMG private lounge, as we wrote to AMG about this multiple times, but their reply was not very satisfying; it went something along the lines of this: due to the many factors involved during the 1st to 2nd shift, the computer will pick the most optimum one to maximize performance.
What AMG is trying to say is that they don't want to give you true performance shifting because they want to cover their asses when it comes to warranty related driveline claims.
The SRT engineers tried the same line on SRT8 owners some mos. back.
An interesting fact to note, the 7A torque converter never sees more than 95% lock-up.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:40 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by jangy
I'm confused why you want to shift at lower points? If so, why have the rev limit higher than where you want to go? Why not have it be where it shifts? Is the concern that your car will bounce off the limiter? I'm just confused about this.
We typically set the rev limiter 150-200rpm higher than the actual shift point to ensure you never tag it on a WOT upshift.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:42 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by MHP
We typically set the rev limiter 150-200rpm higher than the actual shift point to ensure you never tag it on a WOT upshift.
That makes sense for me.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by jangy
In S mode @ full WOT, the 63 tranny shifts as follows:

1st to 2nd @ 6200 rpm to 6900 rpm (the computer seems to decide randomly).
2nd to 3rd @ 7200 rpm
3rd to 4th @ 7200 rpm
4th to 5th @ 7200 rpm
etc...

We're trying to make it shift at 7200 rpm from 1st to 2nd in order to maximize power a little bit because right now it is very inconsistent.

However, if the car does not shift right at 7200 rpm, it'll hit the rev limiter, which we also don't want.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Real Cars
Originally Posted by MHP
No. Sorry, pricing for the WA5A variants (less the 900) is $1600.

Thanks
Can you please provide a breakdown of which TCMs are associated with which cars? I'd actually like this software for my SL65 and my E55, both of which use the 722 transmission.

-m
Old 08-25-2008, 07:15 PM

2006 W164 ML350
W164 ML350

I have a 2006 ML350 with the 7 speed transmission, and I REALLY want to improve the shifting.

I have a heap of questions

Have you ever actually changed the software on a W164 ML?

What is involved in removing the brain, do you have instructions with photos? How long will it take to remove?

The 5 day turnaround seems like a long time, are you sending the brain to Europe to be programmed, I guess I am asking where the programming is done.

I have the optional off road pro engineering pack, so I have a two mode transmission, it has 'M/S' button on the dash. 'M' is manual mode so that when it is the 'Low Range' mode the transmission holds each gear like an SL55, and wont change up or down. But it only does this in the low range off road mode. When it is used on the highway, I cant use low range of course, and the transmission functions differently in M mode. When it gets near the rev limit, it upshifts whether I like it or not, so it is not really a true manual mode. Can you modify the software so it will not upshift near the redline in normal mode?

I really like to know who is the designer of the software so I know who the 'manufacturer' of the software is, I know its common for sponsors on this board not to reveal who is writing it, but it will come out eventually We all want to deal with someone who speaks english and who actually answers emails, but its good to know who is behind it. People are a bit wary after the evotech/euroelites postings about transmission ECU's, so the reason you have everyone ready to order is because of euroelites 'going down'.

We need to know more about who is making it and how.

Can you post up a video on youtube of the changed shifting between first and second to show us that it actually works in a car in practice.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:15 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
Can you please provide a breakdown of which TCMs are associated with which cars? I'd actually like this software for my SL65 and my E55, both of which use the 722 transmission.

-m
We can reflash any WA5A variant from 580 to 900. Both of your vehicles are covered.

Last edited by MHP; 08-25-2008 at 08:32 PM.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:29 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by hotml350
I have a 2006 ML350 with the 7 speed transmission, and I REALLY want to improve the shifting.

I have a heap of questions

Have you ever actually changed the software on a W164 ML?
Not specifically on a ML, but there shouldn't be any problems since all 7As are the same, unlike the 5As that had several different versions.

What is involved in removing the brain, do you have instructions with photos? How long will it take to remove?
Step by step instructions will be provided. Install/removal time depends on the mechanical ability of the person doing the job, tools at hand, etc. On avg I'd say it's a 1-1.5hr job.

The 5 day turnaround seems like a long time, are you sending the brain to Europe to be programmed, I guess I am asking where the programming is done.
The turnaround is 5 days simply because it's a fairly time consuming process to reflash a TCM and there are only so many hours in a day. Typically it won't take that long to receive your reflashed TCM however worst case scenario (if we're slammed) it may, which is why we claim what we do.
All programming (ECU/TCM) is done in house (OH or MI).

I have the optional off road pro engineering pack, so I have a two mode transmission, it has 'M/S' button on the dash. 'M' is manual mode so that when it is the 'Low Range' mode the transmission holds each gear like an SL55, and wont change up or down. But it only does this in the low range off road mode. When it is used on the highway, I cant use low range of course, and the transmission functions differently in M mode. When it gets near the rev limit, it upshifts whether I like it or not, so it is not really a true manual mode. Can you modify the software so it will not upshift near the redline in normal mode?
Yes we can modify your software so that it can either shift or not shift at redline in Manual shift mode.

I really like to know who is the designer of the software so I know who the 'manufacturer' of the software is, I know its common for sponsors on this board not to reveal who is writing it, but it will come out eventually We all want to deal with someone who speaks english and who actually answers emails, but its good to know who is behind it. People are a bit wary after the evotech/euroelites postings about transmission ECU's, so the reason you have everyone ready to order is because of euroelites 'going down'.
Sorry but all anyone will ever know about our software is that it works (form your own opinion based on the results) and that we do it in house. No one in the world that I'm aware of uses the same software that we do, simply because we developed it and don't resell or liscense it out to anyone. We are in the business of helping people go fast, not educating our competition as to how we do what we do.
If you have any specific questions or concerns you can PM, email me at andrew@modernhorsepower.com, or even call my cell 614 940 9523 anytime. Fortunately or unfortunately, I only speak English.
I'm sorry I don't understand what you're saying about Evotech's postings, can you clarify a bit? If their feelings are along the same lines as Kleeman's (TCU modification can't be done) they are simply and totally wrong.

We need to know more about who is making it and how.
Addressed above.

Can you post up a video on youtube of the changed shifting between first and second to show us that it actually works in a car in practice.
I'll be able to do that after we finalize everything. Also keep an eye out for track and dyno results.

Last edited by MHP; 08-25-2008 at 09:01 PM.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by MHP

Originally Posted by hotml350
I'll be able to do that after we finalize everything. Also keep an eye out for track and dyno results.
I'd be very interested to see a video of shift points at WOT as well

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: MHP TCM Tuning Now Available