Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 09:59 PM
MHP
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by TMC M5
A couple of things....I have been thinking about with regards to this comparison. First of all, does anyone know if all RENNtech tunes are the same? What I am getting at is MHP tailored the software to Jeff's exhaust and intake mods. I believe that Jeff got the RENNtech software before he did any mods (correct me if I am wrong). Would RENNtech have offered different software to match these mods? If so, wouldn't comparing the mod tailored software be a more fair apples to apples comparison. If not, MHP is the clear head to head winner in the dyno. I don't know the answer, can someone who has actual experience with RENNtech software answer this?
My response to this would be for us to tweak his A/F and add another 8-12rwhp.

Second point: if you live by corrected 1/4 mile numbers...you should die....err I mean have to use them to compare runs. Jeff may very well trap 3-4mph higher just because it is -2500ft DA day at MIR. I think Jason brought the portable weather thing to MIR on Columbus day and it was showing 10 degrees warmer than reported on the dragtimes DA calculator. I think he said it was between 700ft and 1500ft that day. So we should factor that in when we do the runs to compare the two softwares' performance. Hey, I hope for Jeff's sake he picks up some huge numbers and it isn't all DA related.

Tom
I've said many times we'll be correcting upward at MIR. I made the comment as if we were comparing corrected traps.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:01 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by ROMEO550
This has to be the worst money spent on any recent MB "tune".

What is really funny, is the references that they dont want to "blow" anything up as if this tune would even approach that feat.

Sorry, it had to be said. Buy an intake and some long headers and leave this alone.

Paul
Worst advice ever.

64rwhp/30rwtq SAE 1:1 gains vs. stock for $2500-2750 or ~10-18rw if you're lucky with either headers/intakes.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:02 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Fikse
4 MPH pickup over what, completely stock?
No vs. the Renntech tune, it was an exaggeration as in if the car traps significantly higher than the dyno results would lead us to believe the new dyno brakes may have affected the results.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:11 PM
LZH
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Great job Andy - very nice to see your "hunch" was correct. LOL !!!!
Thanks to Fr33kn63 for taking the time to post all the data from the dyno pull. Guess this pretty much puts an end to all those looking for "proven" results and "real world" data. I'm sure it'll only get better at MIR !!!!
Old 10-28-2008, 10:27 PM

GT-R
I was expecting to see much higher numbers with the MHP tune based on all the chest-beating. However, I'm sure the relatively small increase in hp will translate into great track results given the TCU tuning. Can't wait to see the results from MIR.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 AMG
Originally Posted by TMC M5
A couple of things....I have been thinking about with regards to this comparison. First of all, does anyone know if all RENNtech tunes are the same? What I am getting at is MHP tailored the software to Jeff's exhaust and intake mods. I believe that Jeff got the RENNtech software before he did any mods (correct me if I am wrong). Would RENNtech have offered different software to match these mods? If so, wouldn't comparing the mod tailored software be a more fair apples to apples comparison. If not, MHP is the clear head to head winner in the dyno. I don't know the answer, can someone who has actual experience with RENNtech software answer this?

Second point: if you live by corrected 1/4 mile numbers...you should die....err I mean have to use them to compare runs. Jeff may very well trap 3-4mph higher just because it is -2500ft DA day at MIR. I think Jason brought the portable weather thing to MIR on Columbus day and it was showing 10 degrees warmer than reported on the dragtimes DA calculator. I think he said it was between 700ft and 1500ft that day. So we should factor that in when we do the runs to compare the two softwares' performance. Hey, I hope for Jeff's sake he picks up some huge numbers and it isn't all DA related.

Tom
As far as Renntech goes, when I asked for my tune at no time did they ever ask me if I was modded. I do remember that. But still a valid question. Anyone else have that experience?
Old 10-28-2008, 10:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 AMG
4 MPH pickup over what, completely stock?
no over the renntech tune...
Old 10-28-2008, 10:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

STS,FGT,12C,P85D,M4
64rwhp/30rwtq on C63..... we're talking about the E63 here.....

Originally Posted by MHP
Worst advice ever.

64rwhp/30rwtq SAE 1:1 gains vs. stock for $2500-2750 or ~10-18rw if you're lucky with either headers/intakes.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 AMG
yes as far as I can tell the E did not have much to benefit as the C class did regarding its tuning when you only look at peak numbers...arent we forgetting that peak number arent what necessarily dictates good times on the track. Look at the gains in the spreadsheet to see the gains over the renntech tune. 90%+ of the time the MHP tune is stronger the the previous tuning. Between that and the TCU i should see some better times once I hit the track.
dont forget the c class was more restricted stock to stock.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 AMG
I always though that the power under the curve was the biggest thing other then what happens in the last couple hundred rpms to make peak power...
Old 10-28-2008, 10:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

STS,FGT,12C,P85D,M4
yea, that's what I was saying, and ROMEO550, just not that much of a gain for tuning the E63 from any tuner..... the mhp tune vs renntech is probably worth about .5 MPH, a difference that you could easily see from run to run with no changes at all....

the quicker shifting from a TCU tune might help a little as well....

Originally Posted by Fr33kn63
yes as far as I can tell the E did not have much to benefit as the C class did regarding its tuning when you only look at peak numbers...arent we forgetting that peak number arent what necessarily dictates good times on the track. Look at the gains in the spreadsheet to see the gains over the renntech tune. 90%+ of the time the MHP tune is stronger the the previous tuning. Between that and the TCU i should see some better times once I hit the track.
dont forget the c class was more restricted stock to stock.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 AMG
yea, that's what I was saying, and ROMEO550, just not that much of a gain for tuning the E63 from any tuner..... the mhp tune vs renntech is probably worth about .5 MPH, a difference that you could easily see from run to run with no changes at all....

the quicker shifting from a TCU tune might help a little as well....

Umm im not one to start calling people out...but READ THE CHARTS, and dont twist my words around...under the curve there is as much as 12+hp and almost 15lbs tq at one point gains over the renntech tune and at 95% of the time there is positive numbers over the renntech tune. Peak HP yeah only saw about 5hp and 12tq over the renntech tune. But curve is more important then peak! Then yes TCU on top of it all which has nothing to do with dyno pulls
Old 10-28-2008, 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

STS,FGT,12C,P85D,M4
I'm not twisting words, just being realistic.... average pickup is about 6HP... the race weight of your car is well over 4000 pounds.... let us know how it goes at the track...

Umm im not one to start calling people out...but READ THE CHARTS, and dont twist my words around...under the curve there is as much as 12+hp and almost 15lbs tq at one point gains over the renntech tune and at 95% of the time there is positive numbers over the renntech tune. Peak HP yeah only saw about 5hp and 12tq over the renntech tune. But curve is more important then peak! Then yes TCU on top of it all which has nothing to do with dyno pulls
Old 10-28-2008, 11:21 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
I should be getting the quaife friday Jeff. Want to hit a test and tune this weekend?
Old 10-28-2008, 11:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 AMG
I'm not twisting words, just being realistic.... average pickup is about 6HP... the race weight of your car is well over 4000 pounds.... let us know how it goes at the track...
isnt that what i have been saying half of the time. I am not biased to either renntech or MHP. I was happy with my renntech tune, but wanted to see how mhp could improve upon my existing tune, which he was able to one up based on just the ecu portion. if the tcu works as it feels and should between them both i should be able to crack my record times of 12.14 at 116(I think it was). i will definetly post my times good or bad.
my efforts in this werent to be an mhp cheerleader or anything of the sort other then to provided the best unbiased info I could.
As I have told others from the standpoint of if i was a stock 63 in the market to get a tuning done out of renntech or mhp who would I chose??? Until a few days ago i would have said renntech. but after getting mhps tune I would have to say I would go with his now. For the price of just the ecu its 1k less then the renntech and produces more power all over the place. And to top it off I can get tcu(which I did) which should provided some additional gains on the track. not sure how much, but should be somewhat noticable in my times.
that is all...
Old 10-28-2008, 11:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 AMG
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
I should be getting the quaife friday Jeff. Want to hit a test and tune this weekend?
think you can have it installed for friday night test and tune? If so I can try. I was thinking the following friday 11/07 might give you some more time. But let me know. I should be game.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:27 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
64rwhp/30rwtq on C63..... we're talking about the E63 here.....
The stock E dyno's I've typically seen are around 390rw SAE on a DJ in 5th. They have a less restrictive stock exhaust as well. Makes me really wonder what Jeff's stock results would've been.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
As far as Renntech goes, when I asked for my tune at no time did they ever ask me if I was modded. I do remember that. But still a valid question. Anyone else have that experience?
RennTech has at least 5 tunes that i know of for the 63, including a very aggressive one designed from the CLK BS. I think Rick may have tried their more aggressive tunes.

No matter how many versions they have, i think they would have simply offered you a base one and only time will get them to "fix" it.

I'm on my 4th revision of the VRP 55K software now and each has been different.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
think you can have it installed for friday night test and tune? If so I can try. I was thinking the following friday 11/07 might give you some more time. But let me know. I should be game.
No way I can get in in time for friday. I dont get off of work til 5pm on friday. Test and tune this week is sunday at MIR. Friday test and tunes are done for the year at MIR. Capitol still has test and tunes on fridays. I guess i'll just keep you posted on how far I get. Theres only a few more weeks of racing left according to their schedules but they usually stay open until the first snow fall.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:34 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
I still say any differences are statistically insignificant. Given differing environmental conditions a 5hp or 1% difference is just tough to justify. You wanna prove anything run a larger number of replicates (dyno runs).

BTW, comparing a 63 tune from summer of '07 to today is leading you astray. RennTech has made HUGE differences in their code since then. Does RennTech have an upgrade program? Powerchip does. If they do, consider getting a more competitive tune for the comparison.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:35 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Jeff,
We have a simple solution to the nitpicking, send the ECU back to us for a day, and we'll net you larger (still safe) gains.

Thanks
Andy
Old 10-28-2008, 11:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 AMG
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
No way I can get in in time for friday. I dont get off of work til 5pm on friday. Test and tune this week is sunday at MIR. Friday test and tunes are done for the year at MIR. Capitol still has test and tunes on fridays. I guess i'll just keep you posted on how far I get. Theres only a few more weeks of racing left according to their schedules but they usually stay open until the first snow fall.
yeah keep me posted. sunday is usually reserved for football, but might be able to make an exception. Lets see how far you gat and go from there. If not then lets shoot for next friday night if you can.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:37 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by hooleyboy
to be perfectly honest with all of you. I got the renntech tune on my little C55, I think its great. But.... sometimes when i jump on it and the car kicks down into a lower gear then on to the next I get a delay like the car does not know what to do. I have done a lot of bolt on mods and I dont know if the stock renntech tune is good still,??? or should i think about a new flash??? Maybe in my C55 there isnt much more to gain from an ECU than i already got.
Have you done Intake or exhaust work? That can cause that lag you speak of. A proper tune will fix it. Your motor's momentum is simply getting ahead of the ECU.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:37 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by jangy
I still say any differences are statistically insignificant. Given differing environmental conditions a 5hp or 1% difference is just tough to justify. You wanna prove anything run a larger number of replicates (dyno runs).
I can't wait to see you try to dispute his track results.

BTW, comparing a 63 tune from summer of '07 to today is leading you astray. RennTech has made HUGE differences in their code since then. Does RennTech have an upgrade program? Powerchip does. If they do, consider getting a more competitive tune for the comparison.
http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/
Old 10-28-2008, 11:38 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by MHP
Jeff,
We have a simple solution to the nitpicking, send the ECU back to us for a day, and we'll net you larger (still safe) gains.

Thanks
Andy
Why would you not have to begin with?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E63 Renntech vs MHP data