E63 Renntech vs MHP data

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 12:43 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by Vic55
Again Jim and Jangy? Are you both ready for a longer time out? Get out of this thread now and let it go back to the original discussion.
Actually, Andy and Jangy but I'll do as you say.

Can I become a sponsor too so that I can have immunity? I( have asked Simon about it a number of times and no response?
Old 10-29-2008, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by jangy
Actually, Andy and Jangy but I'll do as you say.

Can I become a sponsor too so that I can have immunity? I( have asked Simon about it a number of times and no response?
Your dialogue with Andy is about the topic (for the most part) but you and Jim are starting to veer back to where you guys were in the past.

As for being a sponsor, PM Simon, and sponsors are not above the TOU.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Originally Posted by 01bolt
I would like to see timing tables across the curve for both the Renntech pull and MHP.

This possible?
I’d suspect the tuners are keeping that information proprietary. Rightly so, IMHO.

Nothing to stop one from purchasing each and then logging/reverse engineering, except for the investment necessary. Oh, and MHP’s exclusive sorcery into the inner depths of the TCU. ;=)
Old 10-29-2008, 01:42 PM
MHP
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by jangy
No, thank you.
Yep, all smoke and mirrors over here. Nothing to see, move on.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 AMG
Well to get back on topic....
Andy and I spoke again today and have agreed upon a time that works for both of us to work this all out.
On monday I will be shipping my ecu back to him. since I only put 93 octane in my car, sometimes more since MIR has 104 and the occasional octane booster, I want my tune changed so it doesnt take 91, which is my understanding of the tune i received can support.
Dont get me wrong its nice to know I dont have to put 93 in my car and can use 91, but around here where i live almost noone carries 91 except sunoco, but I still go for the 93 or 94 depending on the location. I want max performace out of my tune as I believe mhp can and has already shown to produce, but want more and I think he and I are on the same page regarding the changes they will be making.
I beleive, as Andy has mentioned, by ensuring I stick with 93 or better these will give me more gains as some expected I would see. Since yes, I am a little bit of a mod junky, I am electing to have my tune changed to accomodate what i am looking for.
Again to date i am happy with what I am seeing my car produce. From a stock to tune perspective the MHP tune, all over the curve, has shown significant gains which is noticable when driving around in conjunction with the tcu tuning. I am excited to see what more they are going to squeez out of this tune while keeping my afr's at or below the renntech tuning I was previously running.
Anyway just wanted to give an update.
Lets try to keep the responses as civil as possible. Again we are all here to make gains to our rides, and thats all i am trying to do
Old 10-29-2008, 02:20 PM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
SL600
Originally Posted by chiromikey
afr's look a bit safer but neither one looks unsafe to begin with. hopefully the same can be said for timing.
You'll notice it if the timing's outta whack, though. Pinging, etc. etc. is hard to miss. You wouldn't necessarily notice the AFR's outta whack, until it's too late and you have a burnt valve, ruined cats, etc.

If I had to pick one, I'd definitely rather run a safer AFR and go for gains on the timing side, than the other way around.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by CWW
You'll notice it if the timing's outta whack, though. Pinging, etc. etc. is hard to miss. You wouldn't necessarily notice the AFR's outta whack, until it's too late and you have a burnt valve, ruined cats, etc.

If I had to pick one, I'd definitely rather run a safer AFR and go for gains on the timing side, than the other way around.
really??? tell that to the several people around here that have left pistons on the the road due to their aggressive tuners with the same thoughts on timing.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ML550
Just scanned through this entire thread. So much drama about nothing. Here we have a MHP tune on an E63 that got 414 peak HP and 400 peak ft lbs of torque. BFD.

Last February when I re-dyno'ed my E55 (bone stock except for addition addition of Evosport shorty headers [see DIY sticky for details] - which was the reason for the new dyno run), my car made 434 peak HP and 491 peak torque. At the time, I was disappointed because the shorty headers only added about 12 HP to my car's original baseline dyno (same dyno, operator, etc.).

And that's without a MHP tune. The new math is the old math: E55 > E63
Old 10-29-2008, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by Fr33kn63
Well to get back on topic....
Andy and I spoke again today and have agreed upon a time that works for both of us to work this all out.
On monday I will be shipping my ecu back to him. since I only put 93 octane in my car, sometimes more since MIR has 104 and the occasional octane booster, I want my tune changed so it doesnt take 91, which is my understanding of the tune i received can support.
Dont get me wrong its nice to know I dont have to put 93 in my car and can use 91, but around here where i live almost noone carries 91 except sunoco, but I still go for the 93 or 94 depending on the location. I want max performace out of my tune as I believe mhp can and has already shown to produce, but want more and I think he and I are on the same page regarding the changes they will be making.
I beleive, as Andy has mentioned, by ensuring I stick with 93 or better these will give me more gains as some expected I would see. Since yes, I am a little bit of a mod junky, I am electing to have my tune changed to accomodate what i am looking for.
Again to date i am happy with what I am seeing my car produce. From a stock to tune perspective the MHP tune, all over the curve, has shown significant gains which is noticable when driving around in conjunction with the tcu tuning. I am excited to see what more they are going to squeez out of this tune while keeping my afr's at or below the renntech tuning I was previously running.
Anyway just wanted to give an update.
Lets try to keep the responses as civil as possible. Again we are all here to make gains to our rides, and thats all i am trying to do
Hey Jeff...where do you get 94 octane? I haven't seen it around in years but would love to find some in the DC Metro area (closest I found was in PA).

Thanks,

Tom
Old 10-29-2008, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
Originally Posted by kompressed55
Just scanned through this entire thread. So much drama about nothing. Here we have a MHP tune on an E63 that got 414 peak HP and 400 peak ft lbs of torque. BFD.

Last February when I re-dyno'ed my E55 (bone stock except for addition addition of Evosport shorty headers [see DIY sticky for details] - which was the reason for the new dyno run), my car made 434 peak HP and 491 peak torque. At the time, I was disappointed because the shorty headers only added about 12 HP to my car's original baseline dyno (same dyno, operator, etc.).

I would be willing to bet an ECU tune would add another 20 to that as it can utilize the upgraded headers better.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:29 PM
Banned

02 S500 Sport

Hmm So I looked up the regular dyno graphs of 63 models and found this

https://mbworld.org/forums/showpost....2&postcount=12

He had 425 rwhp before?
Old 10-29-2008, 03:31 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
After further reviewing your cal Jeff, there's no way your ECU took our flash as the difference in gains should be much larger. The gains you're seeing are purely from the TCU--since your shifting is so dramatically different and there are mostly torque gains it makes perfect sense. EcU/TCU are 2 seperate flashes.
Yes, this is our fault, we admit to the error and apologize for the additional invonvenience incurred while we rectify the situation (reflash) early next week. Again we live test the cals before shipping but can't tell which cal is in the ECU (if it took or not), and we will always stand behind our product.

Thanks
Andy
Old 10-29-2008, 03:33 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Gondon

He had 425 rwhp before?
That was uncorrected.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 AMG

Of course someone has to be an a$$... Keep in mind this was a 5th gear pull. If your e55 is doing it woopteedoo....good for you.

Originally Posted by Gondon

He had 425 rwhp before?
Yes this last time out it was actually 428 in 4th but since 5th gear is 1:1 I opted to only post 5th gear results. because of all the drama my 5th gear pulls as received I have decided to not post my 4th gear pulls. I dont really care enough at the moment to bother, but promise to post all new 5th gear pulls after andy sends my ecu back. seems tcu flash took, but ecu might not have. not sure.

Originally Posted by MHP
After further reviewing your cal Jeff, there's no way your ECU took our flash as the difference in gains should be much larger. The gains you're seeing are purely from the TCU--since your shifting is so dramatically different and there are mostly torque gains it makes perfect sense. EcU/TCU are 2 seperate flashes.
Yes, this is our fault, we admit to the error and apologize for the additional invonvenience incurred while we rectify the situation (reflash) early next week. Again we live test the cals before shipping but can't tell which cal is in the ECU (if it took or not), and we will always stand behind our product.

Thanks
Andy
Well you can correct this when I send it back to you on monday. Just make sure to get it right so I can post "people-shutting-up" results.(without blowing up my ride ) Thanks

Originally Posted by MHP
That was uncorrected.
I think it is sae corrected. just was 4th gear pulls.

Last edited by Fr33kn63; 10-29-2008 at 03:48 PM.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:54 PM
Almost a Member!

08 S550, 08 E63, other non-Green cars
Originally Posted by MHP

Thanks
Andy

So the TCU tune is done on the ECU, not the TCU? I thought you'd do them on the respective units. What am I missing?
Old 10-29-2008, 03:56 PM
LZH
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Hang on a sec....Andy/Jeff - are you saying the dyno pull and ECU tune that was just done did NOT have the MHP tuning but just the TCU ?? So was Jeff running the Renntech tune becasue the MHP tune never loaded and the small gains were only as a result of the increased torque from the TCU tne ??
I'm confused ????
Old 10-29-2008, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by RHBENZ
So the TCU tune is done on the ECU, not the TCU? I thought you'd do them on the respective units. What am I missing?

I think what he is saying is that his stuff doesn't work.... (JUST KIDDING)

Actually, what he is saying is that the ECU tune didn't take. However, the TCU tune is working and the torque limiters were properly removed which allowed the gains that you see on the dynos.

Tom
Old 10-29-2008, 03:58 PM
LZH
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Originally Posted by RHBENZ
The TCU is buried in the transmission - taking it out means dropping he trans. Since the ECU and TCU are electronically connected, the TCU can be tuned through the ECU thus the TCU does not need to be removed.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 AMG
Originally Posted by TMC M5
Hey Jeff...where do you get 94 octane? I haven't seen it around in years but would love to find some in the DC Metro area (closest I found was in PA).

Thanks,

Tom
I didnt actually mean I found 94 here in VA. I go back and forth the westchester and LI to visit family and go through Jersey and can always find it there.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:59 PM
Banned

02 S500 Sport
Originally Posted by LZH
Hang on a sec....Andy/Jeff - are you saying the dyno pull and ECU tune that was just done did NOT have the MHP tuning but just the TCU ?? So was Jeff running the Renntech tune becasue the MHP tune never loaded and the small gains were only as a result of the increased torque from the TCU tne ??
I'm confused ????
+1 what just happend
Old 10-29-2008, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 AMG
Originally Posted by LZH
I'm confused ????
Yes thats what Andy/MHP beleives happens. TCU tune took but not ECU. They appear to be 2 seperate flashes to the same unit

Originally Posted by TMC M5
I think what he is saying is that his stuff doesn't work.... (JUST KIDDING)

Actually, what he is saying is that the ECU tune didn't take. However, the TCU tune is working and the torque limiters were properly removed which allowed the gains that you see on the dynos.

Tom
Thats what I beleive he is saying.

Originally Posted by LZH
The TCU is buried in the transmission - taking it out means dropping he trans. Since the ECU and TCU are electronically connected, the TCU can be tuned through the ECU thus the TCU does not need to be removed.
As I said above, Andy/MP says there are two seperate flashes that take place on the single ECU unit. One for ecu performance afr stuff and the other that controls the tcu in the tranny.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 AMG
Andy/MHP says this is why I only saw minimal gains, I will find out ealry next week I guess. Kinda need my car through the weekend and dont mind having rental for a few days next week as been arranged.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
new balance
:b lah::bla h:
Old 10-29-2008, 04:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 AMG

[QUOTE=JAYCL600;3137370]:blahQUOTE]
Old 10-29-2008, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
[QUOTE=Fr33kn63;3137381]

Originally Posted by JAYCL600
:blahQUOTE]
What is it with all the people with names beginning with the letter "J" fighting it out... Jim vs Jangy....now Jeff vs Jay...

Tom

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E63 Renntech vs MHP data