E63 Renntech vs MHP data

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 04:20 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 S550, 08 E63, other non-Green cars
Originally Posted by LZH
The TCU is buried in the transmission - taking it out means dropping he trans. Since the ECU and TCU are electronically connected, the TCU can be tuned through the ECU thus the TCU does not need to be removed.
So why 2 different flashes? Can't you adjust the solenoid pressure and map in the same flash? Thanks for clearing that up.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:21 PM

'04 Porsche 996TT X-50, '95 M3 Built & Blown
Originally Posted by Fr33kn63
I didnt actually mean I found 94 here in VA. I go back and forth the westchester and LI to visit family and go through Jersey and can always find it there.
Exit 17s off the SSP there is a gas station with 100 unleaded and 110 leaded so next time you are on the south shore of LI........FILL HER UP!
Old 10-29-2008, 04:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 AMG
Originally Posted by RHBENZ
So why 2 different flashes? Can't you adjust the solenoid pressure and map in the same flash? Thanks for clearing that up.
I cant answer this obviously. I am sure Andy will step in and answer this when hes back online.

Originally Posted by tuningtechnician
Exit 17s off the SSP there is a gas station with 100 unleaded and 110 leaded so next time you are on the south shore of LI........FILL HER UP!
Thanks, good to know Hopefully not $7-8 a gallon like 104 at MIR.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:27 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by MHP
Yep, all smoke and mirrors over here. Nothing to see, move on.
Looks like it. So, before the numbers were tru and higher and now they are simply noise of two various runs. Before, your TCU mod didn't show up on the dyno and now they do. Before TCU mods meant MODDING the TCU and now they don't. Boy how things change.

So to be clear, are you saying that you can mod the TCU module by modding the ECU module and having it later mod the TCU AFTER the ECU has been replaced? Can you mod the TCU or not and if so, lets see it!!
Old 10-29-2008, 04:34 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
So the TCU tune is done on the ECU, not the TCU? I thought you'd do them on the respective units. What am I missing?

Nothing. You can alter shift points and all types of other things in the ECU (as powerchip has). I thought that Andy was actually talking about TCO mods before but maybe he just means ECU parameters that have an affect on the tranny?
Old 10-29-2008, 04:35 PM
LZH
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Originally Posted by jangy
Looks like it. So, before the numbers were tru and higher and now they are simply noise of two various runs. Before, your TCU mod didn't show up on the dyno and now they do. Before TCU mods meant MODDING the TCU and now they don't. Boy how things change.

So to be clear, are you saying that you can mod the TCU module by modding the ECU module and having it later mod the TCU AFTER the ECU has been replaced? Can you mod the TCU or not and if so, lets see it!!
Dude I really think you have a reading comprehension problem....Is English your first language ???
It has been discussed before that the TCU stays in the car. The ECU is removed and then flashed - Jeff just said the ECU is takes 2 seperate flashes. One for the ECU tuning itself and one for the TCU. Of course, once the ECU is reinstalled it then communicates with the TCU and changes how it operates. What, did you think the TCU was flashed by osmosis ???
Old 10-29-2008, 04:37 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by LZH
The TCU is buried in the transmission - taking it out means dropping he trans. Since the ECU and TCU are electronically connected, the TCU can be tuned through the ECU thus the TCU does not need to be removed.
Now I am really confused, since I was pretty specific with Andy when he first came on here to the point of literally asking for TCU photos showing that the tranny was openned. He didn't feel the need to prove anything to me and now you say it CAN be done through the ECU. Are you saying that is how MHP does it? Are you sure that works when all you have to mod is an ECU?
Old 10-29-2008, 04:39 PM
Almost a Member!

08 S550, 08 E63, other non-Green cars
Nothing. You can alter shift points and all types of other things in the ECU (as powerchip has). I thought that Andy was actually talking about TCO mods before but maybe he just means ECU parameters that have an affect on the tranny?

That's what I thought too.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:42 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by LZH
Dude I really think you have a reading comprehension problem....Is English your first language ???
Huh? is it just customary to throw in the personal insult or are you just sad to see your house of cards tumble?

It has been discussed before that the TCU stays in the car. The ECU is removed and then flashed - Jeff just said the ECU is takes 2 seperate flashes. One for the ECU tuning itself and one for the TCU. Of course, once the ECU is reinstalled it then communicates with the TCU and changes how it operates.
Other ways had also been discussed. Don't confuse what is posted here with what you hear from your boss.

What, did you think the TCU was flashed by osmosis ???
No I don't, but I think the ECU / TCU need to be on the car for this to go. What you are talking about would simply be ECU parameters. For the 1000th time, this is not a new thing. If they are modding the ECU, then it is an ECU mod. The same way that an ECU mod can control throttle position, it can control some parameters in the tranny. That does not mean it is any more of a TCU mod than it is a TB mod.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:46 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by LZH
What, did you think the TCU was flashed by osmosis ???
Honestly? I am believing less and less that it is flashed. Again, inputs may be shifted but I do not believe that the code within the TCU has changed one bit. Adaptations may get reset, if anything. That is what I believe
Old 10-29-2008, 04:48 PM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Now I am really confused, since I was pretty specific with Andy when he first came on here to the point of literally asking for TCU photos showing that the tranny was openned. He didn't feel the need to prove anything to me and now you say it CAN be done through the ECU. Are you saying that is how MHP does it? Are you sure that works when all you have to mod is an ECU?
Use your head....Andy has told numerous people numerous times in public that all they have to do is send him their ECU and he will make the necessary ECU AND TCU modifications. Once the ECU goes back in the car, I assume as soon as it is powered up, the ECU communicates with the TCU and the modification is done. I would also assume that this is the case since Andy has said a few times that the TCU tune takes about 200 miles to fully adapt. Not trying to be a jerk....just pointing out the writing on the wall.

EDIT - You can believe what you want....Perhaps MHP doesn't really tune the ECU ITSELF. Maybe the changes are just in the ECU as you have speculated. Either way, the way the transmission behaves after the ECU flash is very different and many users have said the same. A few have even commented that "this is the way the car SHOULD HAVE COME FROM THE FACTORY". So, we can sit here and split hairs if you want - the end result is that MHP has figured out how to greatly change the way the 7A transmission behaves - can any other tuner say the same ??

Last edited by LZH; 10-29-2008 at 04:56 PM.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:53 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by LZH
Use your head....Andy has told numerous people numerous times in public that all they have to do is send him their ECU and he will make the necessary ECU AND TCU modifications. Once the ECU goes back in the car, I assume as soon as it is powered up, the ECU communicates with the TCU and the modification is done. I would also assume that this is the case since Andy has said a few times that the TCU tune takes about 200 miles to fully adapt. Not trying to be a jerk....just pointing out the writing on the wall.
Look LZH. You aren't pointing out the writing on any wall other than your bosses hand. It does not matter what Andy keeps saying or what you assume. Stop assuming, that is the problem.

Now, you state that all one has to do is send in their ECU for a ECU AND TCU mod. We'll see if that is even possible, much less true. As has been stated many times before, many of the parameters within the ECU can have an effect on how other modules react. And yes, it takes a few hundred miles (closer to 500) for enough adaptation data to get stored for crisper communication but what does that have to do with changing the actual code on the TCU?
Old 10-29-2008, 04:57 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
[quote=TMC M5;3137399]

What is it with all the people with names beginning with the letter "J" fighting it out... Jim vs Jangy....now Jeff vs Jay...

Tom
There are lots of variables. Joining on or about April 2008 is a HUGE factor. Obviously having "J" start your nickname doesn't seem to help, either.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:01 PM
LZH
Banned

You are hopeless. Lemme ask you this....do you think the ECU has anything to do with transmission line pressure and the associated increases in shift firmness/quickness ? I see what you are getting at....You wanna now say that MHP doesn't do anything to the TCU at all and all they do is mess with the ECU and the charge for "TCU TUNING" is BS and they are ripping people off. Clearly that is your belief. If so, then why are you posting here ?? If that is wha tyou believe then why debate what you claim to already know ?? Again, you are hopeless man.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 AMG

There are lots of variables. Joining on or about April 2008 is a HUGE factor. Obviously having "J" start your nickname doesn't seem to help, either.
Not sure why you all the sudden have to pick on the date I joined. That has very little to do with any of my experience and the many MB's I have had over the years. The number of posts on this forum doesnt make you a guru or give you aurthority over anyone else...just means you have too much time in your hands....
Old 10-29-2008, 05:06 PM
LZH
Banned

What Jangy is trying to say is that becasue you have not been here that long, you have not seen the problems other members have had with bogus tuners (HPS) and the associated failures. What Jangy in his infinite wisdom has failed to recognize is that the SEARCH button negates that argument as all those older posts are archived. Nice try though Jangy.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:07 PM

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts
'08 CL63
From this thread: https://mbworld.org/forums/showpost....&postcount=449

Originally Posted by MHP
Sorry if I wasn't clear.

TCU: We don't need anything from you unless you choose to send us your existing TCU. We can order a spare, flash it and then send it to you so you have zero downtime. I've done the swap 3 times now and I'm down to 1.5hrs in total; R&R instructions will be up on our soon to be revamped site soon. I called the service manager at my local dealership to give me a book quote and he's going to get back to me asap. His estimate was 2-2.5hrs tops.

ECU: We need you to send us the VIN encoded ECU already in your vehicle. You can (as I did) buy a spare ECU then have the dealer install/code it for you (under $100 for the labor to do so) and then send us your original one. You'll then have a stocker for warranty purposes later. The ECU swap is a 10 minute or under job.

Thanks
Andy

No flames intended, but clarification would be nice. Before, the TCU had to be physically flashed (via new unit or sending in your factory one), now it is all done through the ECU? Please detail the process for each car or tranny.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 AMG
Originally Posted by Andy0331

No flames intended, but clarification would be nice. Before, the TCU had to be physically flashed (via new unit or sending in your factory one), now it is all done through the ECU? Please detail the process for each car or tranny.
I msg'd Andy and he will be back to chime in on everything in a bit...
Old 10-29-2008, 05:17 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by LZH
I see what you are getting at....You wanna now say that MHP doesn't do anything to the TCU at all and all they do is mess with the ECU and the charge for "TCU TUNING" is BS and they are ripping people off. Clearly that is your belief. If so, then why are you posting here ?? If that is wha tyou believe then why debate what you claim to already know ?? Again, you are hopeless man.
I haven't claimed anythin. I've asked for some facts. I don't gain from saying any of what you are posting. There is no need for me to setup and wait for a fall when I have nothing to gain. I said it from the first and nothing has changed. I believe MHP to have the technical resources to get such things done. Where I have had an issue is in the notion that they can simply do anything blindly and with minimal time. I was never very excited about ECU tuning, since there is already enough out there that do it. Lets assume that this "test" was properly designed, SO WHAT?? You ended up with the same thing (literally here). I want to see something new and playing with ECU parameters to get play out of the tranny is not what I want. Sprintboosters cost $250.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:19 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Not sure why you all the sudden have to pick on the date I joined. That has very little to do with any of my experience and the many MB's I have had over the years. The number of posts on this forum doesnt make you a guru or give you aurthority over anyone else...just means you have too much time in your hands....

Actually, I was not isolating you. Take a look and tell me if it is merely coincidence..... Birds of a Feather......
Old 10-29-2008, 05:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by LZH
What Jangy is trying to say is that becasue you have not been here that long, you have not seen the problems other members have had with bogus tuners (HPS) and the associated failures. What Jangy in his infinite wisdom has failed to recognize is that the SEARCH button negates that argument as all those older posts are archived. Nice try though Jangy.
Dude, you are the best Lamb anyone could ever find. Quit jumping the gun and assuming what I am building up to, since I'm not. I am simply remembering things (supposed facts) that have been said and later asking why things change. You are sinking yourself. As you said archives are our friends and the old threads are already starting to appear.

LZH, fight the good fight, but make sure you are in it for the right reasons. That goes for Jeff as well.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:24 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by Andy0331

LZH, you were saying.......why not have you take this one since the truth is so well known that I'm an idiot for remebering....
Old 10-29-2008, 05:30 PM
LZH
Banned

I haven't claimed anythin. I've asked for some facts. I don't gain from saying any of what you are posting. There is no need for me to setup and wait for a fall when I have nothing to gain. I said it from the first and nothing has changed. I believe MHP to have the technical resources to get such things done. Where I have had an issue is in the notion that they can simply do anything blindly and with minimal time. I was never very excited about ECU tuning, since there is already enough out there that do it. Lets assume that this "test" was properly designed, SO WHAT?? You ended up with the same thing (literally here). I want to see something new and playing with ECU parameters to get play out of the tranny is not what I want. Sprintboosters cost $250.
I'll wait for Andy to post and clear up the procedure for how they modify the TCU through the ECU - all I know is what he has told me privately.

Jangy - as far as your comment regarding the MHP gaining nothing - well, you are simply showing your ignorance. First becasue most of the gains were under the curve, where it really matters. Second, becasue it seems now the MHP ECU tune was not even loaded and the TCU tune alone beat the previous Renntech dyno !!!! LOL - you are lost bro.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:33 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
So the TCU tune is done on the ECU, not the TCU? I thought you'd do them on the respective units. What am I missing?
With regard to 63s, the TCU is handled via the ECU. Unlike 63s, 55s/65s/600s etc have 2 seperate control units. Therefore when flashing ECU/TCU on a 63, we just do the ECU, twice.

Thanks
Old 10-29-2008, 05:37 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by LZH
Hang on a sec....Andy/Jeff - are you saying the dyno pull and ECU tune that was just done did NOT have the MHP tuning but just the TCU ?? So was Jeff running the Renntech tune becasue the MHP tune never loaded and the small gains were only as a result of the increased torque from the TCU tne ??
I'm confused ????
Yes, we are 90% sure of this due to reviewing in greater detail the difference between our cal and the previous Renntech ECU tune--we made significantly more changes that would result in much higher numbers had the flash taken. Additionally Jeff has reported that the shifts are quicker/firmer and we did see some decent tq gains across the board (which comes from reduced TCU TM).
I guess this test inadvertantly displayed what a TCU flash alone can do for power on a dyno.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E63 Renntech vs MHP data