Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTF happened to our Forum?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 10:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 E63 AMG
I think a lot of it has to do with the economy. Basically, everyone has lost about 30% of their value. Forums are great places to vent in different ways. I'm not saying that is right. Maybe what is going on though.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:34 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Twin Turbo C6, S65,
Originally Posted by CyE55
Some are blaming the lower average age that comes from younger people being able to own depreciated cars. But in the most recent turn of events it's older original owners of the cars that are acting juvenile.

I think some of the older members that are new(er) to the forums in general don't get the fact that the internet, or writing, has no "tone", but that the tone that one perceives is more indicative of one's own mindset rather than that of the poster. (Whoa that got a bit existential) OK never mind, carry on.

But I still think a sponsor selling ***** implants would make a killing judging by some of the recent behavior.

Overall everyone should just take it easy, there's enough stress in the real world to get worked up n the virtual one.
Well said!
Old 01-10-2009, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
3-five-five/ TUNDRA/ 07 997 cab
I think it is sort of funny that some of you people attribute age or income with sheer ignorance! I bought by car second hand and can assure you would never engage in some of the childish posts here. There is alot of good information here and it led me to buy my 06 E55. I believe I am the smarter more mature one by buying my car second hand with 37k for @$32,000. Whats that make the person that paid $92,000. Everyone knows cars depreciate and are not an investment. So the guys that bought them new should not look down on the guys that bought them as a second owner. I think that there are childish immature people in all ages and income,,, it's those that choose to participate in these rediculous antics that make you less then tollerable to the rest of us!
Old 01-10-2009, 11:42 AM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
2006 CLS55 & 2002 SL55 (R129) Silver Arrow
What happened to this forum is simple:
Permanent Bans should have been passed early on, but weren't.
This lack of action has allowed the quality of this forum to spoil very quickly.

To the Mods:
If this 2 week tempo-ban doesn't permanently alter the suspended member's demeanor, then please consider making their bans permanent.
Its obvious that these 3 have greatly contributed to the deterioration of this forum.

IMO, If a few members need to be removed in order to maintain a respectful atmosphere, THEN SO BE IT.
This should go for everyone, including myself.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Originally Posted by emoving
I think it is sort of funny that some of you people attribute age or income with sheer ignorance! I bought by car second hand and can assure you would never engage in some of the childish posts here. There is a lot of good information here and it led me to buy my 06 E55. I believe I am the smarter more mature one by buying my car second hand with 37k for @$32,000. Whats that make the person that paid $92,000. Everyone knows cars depreciate and are not an investment. So the guys that bought them new should not look down on the guys that bought them as a second owner. I think that there are childish immature people in all ages and income,,, it's those that choose to participate in these ridiculous antics that make you less then tolerable to the rest of us!
Very good point. Let's hope that 09 gets off to a better start for all of us, and here at MBWorld as well.

BTW- Guys while paying respect, make sure to mention Konigstiger and RBrenton. Those guys have been excellent at providing inside information and parts savings to many.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:04 PM

old daily driver '07 E63(gone); new dd '14 750xi; 2013 Viper GTS
Originally Posted by enzom
Amen. I used to enjoy coming to this site. Not anymore. Too much drama, too little respect or integrity. Used to be a great forum.

What a shame.
Ditto!!
Old 01-10-2009, 03:26 PM

somethings better left unsaid ...
well before I throw in my 2 cents, I'd like to say that in spite of the change of tone and general atmosphere (which we all agree are becoming more and more negative) .. I still am enjoying this forum ALOT and I find the majority of the members here to be of WONDERFUL manners... what I'm trying to say is, let's not forget the GREATER majority of classy knowledgeable people we have here... it's a rotten fish thing (don't know the actual saying)

having said that, I had and still have an enormous amount of Qs and things I'd love to learn from all the knowledgeable people we have here, but I, as other people said, won't post in fear of getting blown off.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:47 PM
Administrator

Received 515 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
When I read Siswati’s initial post, my first impression was that he has a short memory. There has always been fighting between members on this board.................right?

I wanted to see if he was indeed correct, so I spent some time looking back at old W211 threads from the beginning of this forum to present. To my surprise, his assessment was generally accurate. Sure, I found the occasional heated debates and some name calling, like this Bike vs. E55 thread in 2003: https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/39938-bike-race-highway-against-my-e55.html
And who can ever forget the late great Krispykrme threads like this one:https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/63754-can-m5-faster-then-e55-500-nm.html or this one: https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/70878-stephen-come-out-like-man.html

For the most part, the great majority of heated debates were between us (Mercedes) and them (BMW). By contrast, in my review of threads over the last 6-12 months there has been more blow-outs, more chest-pumping, more threats to human life and more closed threads than in the first five years combined. Furthermore, they were usually between individuals that both owned Mercedes.

So, have we lost our general sense of camaraderie on the board? No!! There are still many great individuals here. Have we become a more diverse board? Yes!! and I think that is part of the reason we've seen so much conflict as of late. Previously, during “love-fest” times (2002- somewhere in 2007) we mainly had members with E55s or guys interested in E55’s posting in this section. Now we have guys posting in our forum that have E55s, E63s, CLK63s, C63s and every other Mercedes made. So it should really not surprise anyone as to why we have so many conflicts.

Unfortunately, there is no simple solution. You can preach “respect” but that seldom works. Overly aggressive moderation kills any forum and that would also mean that Vic55 would have to actually do something............ so that wont work. Let's just hope that everyone on this forum takes it down a notch and becomes a little more tolerant in the future.

Last edited by Rock; 01-10-2009 at 10:03 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
Originally Posted by bigben320e
Very good point. Let's hope that 09 gets off to a better start for all of us, and here at MBWorld as well.

BTW- Guys while paying respect, make sure to mention Konigstiger and RBrenton. Those guys have been excellent at providing inside information and parts savings to many.
I believe Patrick (PTE) should also be in this mix. First class guy that will answer any and all of your questions.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by Rock
When I read Siswati’s initial post, my first impression was that he has a short memory. There has always been fighting between members on this board.................right?

I wanted to see if he was indeed correct, so I spent some time looking back at old W211 threads from the beginning of this forum to present. To my surprise, his assessment was generally accurate. Sure, I found the occasional heated debates and some name calling, like this Bike vs. E55 thread in 2003: https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/39938-bike-race-highway-against-my-e55.html
And who can ever forget the late great Krispykrem threads like this one:https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/63754-can-m5-faster-then-e55-500-nm.html or this one: https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/70878-stephen-come-out-like-man.html

For the most part, the great majority of heated debates were between us (Mercedes) and them (BMW). By contrast, in my review of threads over the last 6-12 months there has been more blow-outs, more chest-pumping, more threats to human life and more closed threads than the first five years combined. Furthermore, they were usually between individuals that both owned Mercedes.

So, have we lost our general sense of camaraderie on the board? No!! There are still many great individuals here. Have we become a more diverse board? Yes!! and I think that is part of the reason we've seen so much conflict as of late. Previously, during “love-fest” times (2002- somewhere in 2007) we mainly had members with E55s or guys interested in E55’s posting in this section. Now we have guys posting in our forum that have E55s, E63s, CLK63s, C63s and every other Mercedes made. So it should really not surprise anyone as to why we have so many conflicts.

Unfortunately, there is no simple solution. You can preach “respect” but that seldom works. Overly aggressive moderation kills any forum and that would also mean that Vic55 would have to actually do something............ so that wont work. Let's just hope that everyone on this forum takes it down a notch and becomes a little more tolerant in the future.
i had no problem with your pre-edited post.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:52 PM
Administrator

Received 515 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
Originally Posted by chiromikey
i had no problem with your pre-edited post.
That was more of a goof when I posted it but after further reflection I decided not to advocate the banning of productive forum members.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)

And who can ever forget the late great Krispykrem threads like this one:https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/63754-can-m5-faster-then-e55-500-nm.html or this one: https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/70878-stephen-come-out-like-man.html

For the most part, the great majority of heated debates were between us (Mercedes) and them (BMW). By contrast, in my review of threads over the last 6-12 months there has been more blow-outs, more chest-pumping, more threats to human life and more closed threads than the first five years combined. Furthermore, they were usually between individuals that both owned Mercedes.

I have to disagree on just one point. This issue applies across MBWorld as a whole, not just in one forum. It's not just in the E55/63.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 S65, 06 M3 CS(stick), 02 BMW X5 4.6iS, 07 R1 Raven, 08 F-450 4x4, 08 CooperS JCW
Originally Posted by emoving
I think it is sort of funny that some of you people attribute age or income with sheer ignorance! I bought by car second hand and can assure you would never engage in some of the childish posts here. There is alot of good information here and it led me to buy my 06 E55. I believe I am the smarter more mature one by buying my car second hand with 37k for @$32,000. Whats that make the person that paid $92,000. Everyone knows cars depreciate and are not an investment. So the guys that bought them new should not look down on the guys that bought them as a second owner. I think that there are childish immature people in all ages and income,,, it's those that choose to participate in these rediculous antics that make you less then tollerable to the rest of us!
Maybe you're an exception, but generally the lower the cost of entry the lower the class of posts. For those with the , means a new car is nicer than a used one and depreciation is understood prior to purchase. I bought my W220 S used but all the others are from new so I've done both so I think i'm protected from being called a snob.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
3-five-five/ TUNDRA/ 07 997 cab
Still not sure I agree! I had a CTS V and spent alot of time in that forum and we never had this crap. Those cars started selling for the teens and we had a good group of guys. I think this is a great forum don't get me wrong but entry price has little to so with it!

Originally Posted by transferred
Maybe you're an exception, but generally the lower the cost of entry the lower the class of posts. For those with the , means a new car is nicer than a used one and depreciation is understood prior to purchase. I bought my W220 S used but all the others are from new so I've done both so I think i'm protected from being called a snob.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:34 PM

'12 ML350
Originally Posted by transferred
Based on my personal observations and experiences, I disagree with the assertion that cost of entry and class posts/people go hand in hand.

I live/work in Bergen County, NJ and Manhattan and there is no shortage of wealth in these spheres - but there is a serious lack of tact, consideration and respect - what could collectively be called 'class' - across the income spectrum. You would not believe the lack of any or ALL of the aforementioned qualities, including many whose income are high six figures or above; and it is shocking how their offspring pick up these qualities in their own behavior from the parents - not exactly sparkling examples to live by.

So to get back to the point - based on those that I live and work around in supposed affluent areas, there is no direct correlation between income and 'class' - often, the correlation is the opposite.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Anything W/4Wheels
you guys are acting a lil tomuch of baby b.s ***** no one tell you to click on the thread and read it. you guys make it seem like you have to know everything and then to find out something else, you dont like it dont read it, everyone on here has somehting to say STOP its done cant undo anything anymore.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheeled car.
Hey yo what's up.

The Godfather, fastest E55 on a 1 mile radius.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Originally Posted by mthis
you guys are acting a lil tomuch of baby b.s ***** no one tell you to click on the thread and read it. you guys make it seem like you have to know everything and then to find out something else, you dont like it dont read it, everyone on here has somehting to say STOP its done cant undo anything anymore.
I understand your point, and we are all aware that we can choose what to read and what not to read. The problem is the disrespectful few that bring no value to the board are displacing the quality posters that offer real substance in their posts. We have lost members that contributed great secrets, tips and information on how make many mods on our cars. This information has been so good the E55/63 board has the highest hit count of any other AMG website. I welcome you to the board and see you own a C63, I hope you find what you are looking for here and we welcome any contribution you make here, even calling us >"a lil tomuch of baby b.s *****"<

Last edited by Yacht Master; 01-11-2009 at 06:05 AM.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:21 AM
kip

E55
Finally someone said it out loud. The recent post especially on C63 board are about the BMW 335i and its superiority. Lately I dont come back so often as I used to. I hope it will all change and we will go back to the normal
Old 01-11-2009, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Anything W/4Wheels
Originally Posted by Yacht Master
I understand your point, and we are all aware that we can choose what to read and what not to read. The problem is the disrespectful few that bring no value to the board are displacing the quality posters that offer real substance in their posts. We have lost members that contributed great secrets, tips and information on how make many mods on our cars. This information has been so good the E55/63 board has the highest hit count of any other AMG website. I welcome you to the board and see you own a C63, I hope you find what you are looking for here and we welcome any contribution you make here, even calling us >"a lil tomuch of baby b.s *****"<
i do get alot of info on here but everyone is bashing on ther own board. thats not rite. if you wanna talk bad about mbworld go somewhere else and talk bad not here. the baby b.s ***** is bc everyone is jumping a lil 2 much for nothing.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Anything W/4Wheels
this is a MB fourm not a BMW if some one wants info on how fast a nmw is go to bmw fourm. sorry if im getting a lil ahead of my self its just how i feel.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:08 AM

E63,,,not any more,,,BMW X5 50i

And who can ever forget the late great Krispykrme threads like this one:https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/63754-can-m5-faster-then-e55-500-nm.html or this one: https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/70878-stephen-come-out-like-man.html

For the most part, the great majority of heated debates were between us (Mercedes) and them (BMW). By contrast, in my review of threads over the last 6-12 months there has been more blow-outs, more chest-pumping, more threats to human life and more closed threads than in the first five years combined. Furthermore, they were usually between individuals that both owned Mercedes.

I first came on this board after buying my E63. Up to that point, NO other car could be considered a "beast" or any other animal unless they were driving an E55. The old my dog is better than yours I think started there, and what you have seen is a result. We (E63) are trying to make our cars better and faster, and usually it come off as nothing you can do will be better than our E55's....I think that when MB first came out with the E63, there was a video from MB where the E63 was faster in the 1/4. Well...the 55 guys said there is not way that could ever be....and its been a tit for tat ever since. MPH and Jrocket both are working on their E63's...and the oposition Jangy, Mikey, etc, all have E55 so its a pi$$ing contest, then you get other E55 guys to the rescue,and some other 63 guys chime in and there you have it. I come in here to chat and try and get some useful information on my car and what I can do to make it better. I think that Vadim and MPH both have great products for our cars and their contribution is more than welcome. MPH is doing something different in terms of TCU management and to me that is interesting, maybe not to all but to me it is. No need to bash MPH or grill him unless that person knows better. We all have egos, they just need to be checked at the door sometimes....!! Just my three cents worth..
Old 01-11-2009, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by bigben320e

While I am on a roll.......I have to give to Konigstiger for all of the help he has given me. By the way...I finally got my hesitation fixed, thanks to Konigstiger, because of a bulletin he sent me. I had a manifold leak that did not show up or produce any cel. In all, they replaced not only the manifold gasket, but several other smaller ones....Thanks Again!!
Old 01-11-2009, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
i hear what you're saying buckey and although i was disappointed (with mb/amg) that the 63 wasn't a huge improvement in terms of performance over the 55, my interaction with some of those that have been banned has absolutely nothing to do with the 55 vs 63 and everything to do with my disgust over the way people have been treated and what's happened to this forum since their arrival.

i don't want to argue about it anymore and i understand my tact was inappropriate, but i do want to make sure my position isn't misunderstood.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by chiromikey
i hear what you're saying buckey and although i was disappointed (with mb/amg) that the 63 wasn't a huge improvement in terms of performance over the 55, my interaction with some of those that have been banned has absolutely nothing to do with the 55 vs 63 and everything to do with my disgust over the way people have been treated and what's happened to this forum since their arrival.

i don't want to argue about it anymore and i understand my tact was inappropriate, but i do want to make sure my position isn't misunderstood.
Hey Mikey...I understand what you are saying...I have no issues with you or really anyone else. It just seemed to ME...being a newbe..... to me I really was not welcome that much unless I had an '55', or knew everything about a "55"! At least that the way it came across. On another note, I agree with you also!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: WTF happened to our Forum?