*** E63 MidSection Exhaust ***

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 01:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'12 E350 Coupe (3rd Benz)
Arrow *** E63 MidSection Exhaust ***

*** The unoffical E/CLS 63 MidSection exhaust thread. ***
TONS of stuff on here about MidSection exhaust... ...for the 55. So this is just for the 63 mid-sized sedan.

• Resonator delete - Cost? Sound? Drone? Power?
  • Removing secondary cats - Legal in my state? Issues? Sound?
  • X-Pipe - Sound? Cost?
  • Other options?

Fr33kn63: "Initially I had done the resonator delete and put straight pipes in its place. I later went back and completely redid my exhaust with 3" SS pipes from the primary cat to the muffler." Was in not loud enough???

Last edited by intellilogic; 03-04-2009 at 04:25 PM. Reason: add sedan comment
Old 03-04-2009, 01:45 PM

I am considering removing my resonator and going with straight pipes, because its cheap and easy, just like my highschool girlfriend. Will this give me the sound I want? I live in VA, not sure if I want to go f__king with the secondary cats, also it comes back to the money issue, how much is it going to cost me to get them lobbed off? I wonder how much an X-Pipe is going to cost me? I now have a shop to call, so I am going to get some numbers and info from them and I will post it back up here. I really want to know about the secondary cat issue for the 63. I am under the impression I can cut em off and it will pass, no biggie, but I won't do anything until I am sure.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63 AMG
Ok time for me to chime in. Loud but not loud or nice enough a tone.
I started off just removing the resonator. Put two 2.75 inch pipes on its place. Sound was nice, but at idle car was always a lot quieter then what I wanted. Also I kept hearing people tell me removing the secondary cats will help with breathing and was only there for strict emissions.
After talking to a local exhaust guy(also happens to own a nice e55) he and i decided to redo the entire exhaust from the primary cats to the mufflers all in 3". Just make sure whatever you cut out off your exhaust to make sure you keep the spare parts, incase you do have trouble with emissions in your state.
Also getting a good X-pipe in 3" seems to be a lot less expensive then what I have seen being sold on this forum.
As far as cost goes I cant quote my exact price but can tell you I feel its well worth it. Since I dont have good before and after dyno's I cant really say how much power gain I really got, but seemed to feel good on the butt dyno. Also now my exhaust is music to my ears are all rpm's.
As far as drone, I dont have any. As some people probably already know I used Dynamat with my exhaust install. We applied it to the backside of all of my heat sheilds down the length of my exhaust. Its great cause when my windows are closed I barely hear my exhaust. But when open ...
Old 03-04-2009, 03:33 PM

Arrow Fr33kn63's exhaust setup

Old 03-04-2009, 04:11 PM

14-F Sport, 07-CLS63 2003-HUMMER 2004-Suburban 2008-MAX 2005-YZF R1
Is the Piping on the CLS63 the same size as the E63 or different? Also I have been told that X pipes are fairly cheap. the ones I've seen here are just Crazy expensive. I would check EBAY first!!!
Old 03-04-2009, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Mathmik
Is the Piping on the CLS63 the same size as the E63 or different? Also I have been told that X pipes are fairly cheap. the ones I've seen here are just Crazy expensive. I would check EBAY first!!!
<- NOT A CREDIBLE SOURCE
Oh yea, they are totally the same.
<- NOT A CREDIBLE SOURCE
Old 03-04-2009, 06:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
08 E 6point3-sold- 11 caddy cts-v-sold, 2012 E63 Palladium Silver
exhaust

the mids might be the same on a CLS but the muffler inlet pipes are not. Very similar but not identical

So I ran straight pipes and my car is louder and sounds like a freakin motor boat- better than stock but much have it rather sound like a europena car

I will be doing a full custom system with bullet style resonators in place of mufflers to change the tone up. I will be running an x pipe in place of the resonator- then running 4 bullet resonator/mufflers in replacement of the amg mufflers.

Hope it sounds good!
Old 03-04-2009, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by intellilogic
<- NOT A CREDIBLE SOURCE
<- NOT A CREDIBLE SOURCE
I Notice that the X pipes here have been reduced! The Pricing is alittle better then before. Now As far as not a credible source.... not sure about that.

Last edited by Mathmik; 03-05-2009 at 12:18 AM.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:26 AM

:)
so did anyone remove the secondary cats? i been wondering how that would sound? if so, sound clip please. also please post pics of the bullet style exhaust?
Old 03-05-2009, 10:56 AM

08 SL55, 07 E63, 07 S550
Hey Richi, ever considered cutoffs as an option? I'm thinking about applying it to my car. I dont have to worry about warranty issues either.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by UT_AMG
Hey Richi, ever considered cutoffs as an option? I'm thinking about applying it to my car. I dont have to worry about warranty issues either.
I have, but doesn't that spew **** out under your car? also I am pretty sure I would want them loud all the time. I just want to sound meaner than the other cars when I am sitting at the light and rolling at low speeds. I hate that I sit next to a XXXX(slower car than mine) and its louder =[

Anyone know some details about cutouts?

I drive hard almost all of the time, I want the sound all of the time, even when not driving hard. I need something that is going to stand up to the stress I put them under, IE new tires every 8,000miles, new brakes every 20,000miles - I melted the wear sensor off the break pads.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:48 PM

I have, but doesn't that spew **** out under your car? also I am pretty sure I would want them loud all the time. I just want to sound meaner than the other cars when I am sitting at the light and rolling at low speeds. I hate that I sit next to a XXXX(slower car than mine) and its louder =[

Anyone know some details about cutouts?

I drive hard almost all of the time, I want the sound all of the time, even when not driving hard. I need something that is going to stand up to the stress I put them under, IE new tires every 8,000miles, new brakes every 20,000miles - I melted the wear sensor off the break pads.
Damn Rich! How many Mile you have on your car now.... melt the pads??? tires ever 8k
Old 03-06-2009, 12:05 AM

2003 e55
i wonder if Fr33kn63's exhaust setup could work on a e55, but again, its a different engine, it might not sound as good for us
Old 03-06-2009, 06:31 AM

Mercedes,Porsche etc
<- NOT A CREDIBLE SOURCE
<- NOT A CREDIBLE SOURCE

CLS and E 63 and S 63 all same

they are the same 2.75 inches..
Old 03-06-2009, 08:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 AMG
Originally Posted by III II I I AMG
i wonder if Fr33kn63's exhaust setup could work on a e55, but again, its a different engine, it might not sound as good for us
wish I could answer that one for you. Might be able to...
The shop owner who did my exhaust also owns an e55. After he did my ride he was saying he was thinking about doing the same setup to his e55. I will call him today and ask him if he ever did it. Been 6-7 months since I have seen his car. If he did I will ask him what he thinks and try to get a sound clip from his 55 engine.
If not and he never did it, then guess out of luck here...

Originally Posted by storm
CLS and E 63 and S 63 all same

they are the same 2.75 inches..
yes they are. 2.75 is such a pain. Down to buying piping, and accessories all these vendors bend you over on prices. Seems at 2.5 or 3 inch parts are easier to find and half the price of our odd size piping.
Thats one reason I went to 3" piping. My exhaust setup is one of my cheapest mods.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Mathmik
Damn Rich! How many Mile you have on your car now.... melt the pads??? tires ever 8k
Only 20k, but that's because I had a booboo (car out 6mo) and it was in the shop for a bit But I drive for Mischief, I have hairline crack's on my rotors from getting on them so hard, lol. I have 27 points on my license, I think its been suspended more than I have had it. You might say Ihave a bit of a problem... VROOM!!!!

www.Mischief.tv - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFKwuu9sboY
Old 03-06-2009, 03:16 PM

I was hoping this would get a sticky, I can't edit the top part now. =/ Was going to change it from midsection to just plain exhaust, the whole thing, mmmkay.

Ok, so I don't think I want cutouts: https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...touts-e63.html

Here is some info:
Originally Posted by storm
1 put race high flow race cats back in, both pairs.
2 put in X-pipe,
3 put resonator bullet high flow small type on each pipe AFTER x-pipe but before muffler, this will tone the sound and get rid of raspy and drone sounds.
4 good mufflers,, either stock AMG< or REMUS, or EISENMANN
the car will sound amazing. its the setup I have.. (REMUS)
How things can go wrong: https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...haust-now.html

Originally Posted by Max.H
Here are a few pics I took while modifying the exhaust system on my E55. First order of business was 3 inch straight pipes in place of the resonator. Next part was a little tricky. I had no idea where to cut open the mufflers. So after few minutes of contemplating, i decided where to make the cuts. Here are some pics.

Basically, the exhaust gases flow into the mufflers and loop through a U bend into a small chamber on the backside of the muffler. The gases then travel into dual resonated pipes that are tightly wrapped with steel wool. It then exits the mufflers through the dual tips.

Ideally You want to delete the u bend and the 2 small pipes, making the muffler a straight through design.

Removed the factory resonator.

Now for the good stuff. Here is a shot of the inside of the muffler pre gutting.

This is with the upper u bend cut. Below the layers of fiberglass are 2 resonated pipes that lead to the exhaust tips.. At first I wanted to cut all the baffles out and make it straight through. I was cutting it close (time wise) for my dinner plans, so the u bend was welded back in place for now.

This is the packing from one muffler. if you dont cut in the right spot you will not be able to access all the fiberglass and steel wool.

A shot of the gutting process.

Here's how they look after removing all the packing.

Tacked in place before seem welding it all back together.

The whole process took about 3.5 hours. It was very tedious but well worth it IMO.

First Impression: The car definitely has a rumble to it at idle and burbles when you drive partial throttle. Crack the throttle wide open and the sound comes alive with a nice deep growl. It sounds good but its not outrageously loud. BTW the car will get louder after a few days of driving on it hard.

Butt Dyno says, it feels a tad quicker. Nothing crazy.. It's probably just a placebo effect of the sound.

I'm thinking of selling these mufflers and removing the baffles on another set. For an increase in power, I will be deleting the primary cats. I will snap some more pics when I do. Thanks for looking.
So I wonder how the outcome would be on a 63?

So now that I have some more info, I am going to call the show here and ask my questions, get some off the cuff pricing info.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63S coupe, X5M
I have 27 points on my license, I think its been suspended more than I have had it. You might say Ihave a bit of a problem... VROOM!!!!
I thought my 8 speeding tickets were bad...
Old 03-07-2009, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 then E63, now back to an E55
Originally Posted by Murtaza
I like your guys style !
Old 03-08-2009, 09:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I appreciate the info found here:

So I continued my own thread-

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ml#post3399021
Old 03-09-2009, 01:27 PM

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Murtaza
My VA driving record is 7 pages front and back. All speeding, no DUI, no running lights, nothing like that, just too much pedal time.

EDIT: Is this dead already?

Last edited by intellilogic; 03-10-2009 at 08:19 AM.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:29 AM

More info I gathered

replace it w/ 3" SS (if possible) or aluminize straight pipes.

the X-pipe make the car sound way more balanced and EURO

the guys that say their straight pipes sound fine, and dont drone
or sound burbly like a motorboat its becuase they kept eh stock muffler which is hiding alot of the sound.. and deadens it.

but if you change the mufflers at some point, it will be ALOT LOUDER,
and without the xpipe, you get a turbulant airflow
and can hear each cylinder bank, like DA DA DA DA DA

the X-pipe smooths out the airflow, balances the exhaust from the 2 engine banks, adds midtones.. and makes teh sound

more like DAAAAAAAAAAAAAA , like a ferrari at idle, instead of a muscle car, burble..

get the X-pipe, its under $150, and magnaflow makes a great one the TRU X , they pretty much invented the X_pipe along with NASCAR.

you will love it..and it helps HP and exhaust flow..

why almost every performance car you see on the street will have one over 450 hp.

as far as size, if you have an AMG car, use a 3", if you have a non AMG car, use a 2.75 inch, as 3 inch will be too big.. and you will lose too much backpressure. as your compression is lower in the engine to start with..

2.5 inch is rated for 550 hp, anyways. so 2.75 inch is a little more refined sound,, and less loud which is why AMG probably chose that size for stock..
Old 03-10-2009, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nice summary !
Old 03-10-2009, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by jpohl402
Nice summary !
I should mention, someone quoted that on another thread, it wasn't them, it wasn't me. heh
Old 03-10-2009, 03:28 PM

08 SL55, 07 E63, 07 S550
Thanks Rich, now I want my secondary cats off and put a 3" pipes and x-pipe. Haha, it must me louder!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: *** E63 MidSection Exhaust ***