MY ENGINE WENT KA BOOOOOOMMM !!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 09:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Forrest Gump 9
Ok, so am I the only one think this is the owner fault here??

When did he get the car tune? What was the temp then?

The owner stated that he went out to race again two Cobra in twenty degree weather. Ran it once, then ran it twice, and then the engine blew in the end of the second run. To me that's straight up abuse.

I don't know who the tuner is, have no affiliation with them, never bought any part from them. This is just my observation as a RICER for the last fifteen years or so.

Lol... WTF!!! Abusing his car because he had a few hot laps?? I've made several passes back to back down the 1/4 mile, runs up to 170, and 25 dyno runs in a single tuning session.

Loco, don't listen to such nonsense. There will be guys chiming in to try and blame everyone else except for who's really responsible. If people haven't figured it out by now they can't be helped... Lol.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P-Carro
Originally Posted by Don_J
Back to back races should not be a problem at all. You may suffer some heat soak..but the engine becoming a grenade should not be an after effect of back to back racing or hot lapping

+1 heat soak should kick in before the engine becomes a grenade to prevent all that 180mm 16psi to cause issues!!
Old 03-14-2010, 09:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
211-55
Ok, so am I the only one think this is the owner fault here?? Not the owners fault.

When did he get the car tune? What was the temp then? Irrelevant

The owner stated that he went out to race again two Cobra in twenty degree weather. Ran it once, then ran it twice, and then the engine blew in the end of the second run. To me that's straight up abuse. It's NOT abuse
See above.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:11 PM

P-Carro
Originally Posted by benz_addict
Daamn man sorry to hear about this. How much would a new engine run you? Got one for 7

Don't worry now you can dump this in there! http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-...Q5fAccessories
Originally Posted by Yacht Master
Loco, do you have any better pics of the hole in the cylinder?
I do have a couple but will be getting more this week..

Originally Posted by bassn_07
Lol... WTF!!! Abusing his car because he had a few hot laps?? I've made several passes back to back down the 1/4 mile, runs up to 170, and 25 dyno runs in a single tuning session.

Loco, don't listen to such nonsense. There will be guys chiming in to try and blame everyone else except for who's really responsible. If people haven't figured it out by now they can't be helped... Lol.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:15 PM

P-Carro
Don't worry now you can dump this in there! http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-...Q5fAccessories[/quote]

thought about it but gotta respect the original idealist...Coming soon but wont be me!
Old 03-14-2010, 09:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
shrimp boat
Originally Posted by malakasnyc
Abuse ?? LOL 2 back to back runs are far from abuse .
The back to back run is only part of the problem. The high speed run under full load is another part of the problem. IMHO, the biggest part is the twenty degree weather. I can only imagine how lean the engine is running in that weather.

Again, I'm here to learn. This is my first supercharge car, so cut me some slack if I'm out of line.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
3-five-five/ TUNDRA/ 07 997 cab
To clear something up on my end....I spoke out of turn with my MHP comment and I retract it. I got info from someone who is no longer available for comment ie.(in prison) so due to that and a long phone conversation I just had with MHP (Andy) I retract my statement on MHP. I personally know of no blown engines from MHP and I have looked extensivly on the WEB and can find no examples. Hopefully the OP can post the tuner soon so people can stop speculating. What speculation does is put all tuners under the gun until there is a name, which is not good for business.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:35 PM

A Prius because I'm green
First off sorry to hear about your engine!

I want to say about not naming the tuner, this thread is useless otherwise. If you want to share your experience you need to post up who tuned it like you posted up who did the installs. Let the debate be civil and let the tuner have a right to defend themselves as this will effect business. Otherwise it's a one sided story of he said she said.

For any member who wants to buy a lousy engine tune from a marketing company that has yet to prove itself (unlike Kleeman, Renntech, and Jeremy formerly PC's tuner) my advice is stick with the tuners that know what they are doing. Less expensive tunes (you get what you pay for) are merely a scam from companies that exploit MB's ability to build a strong engine to mask their lack of head space.

The issue with your engine blowing is MECHANICAL FAILURE yes, but everything has a limit. It's limit was reached not because of faulty parts or any other reason then the software that controlled these MECHANICAL PARTS! Next they will be blaming the fuel for being explosive!
Old 03-14-2010, 09:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 41 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes
When you said that you thought you blew a head gasket, that is exactly what I assumed as well with my car, except my engine bay had oil everywhere. I am very sorry to hear that happened to your car.

And to everyone that thinks that the OP is hiding something, he is not. He is actually giving a very down to earth honest opinion.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
Wow, Sundays are usually a quiet day on the forums, and look what we have here.

First off, thanks to LOCO for coming forward about his troubles, there are many out there who are not willing to put forth the courage it takes to deal with these kind of situations and the constant barrage of insults and generally unbecoming behavior people have towards members who run into these things. They should be thankful, and come together as a community, but as usual it seems that everyone on here is more interested in drama and popcorn. These are times when the community should rally around and figure these things out, rather than breaking out the cross to crucify someone.

The previous thread I participated in was a great example of this. Everyone wants blood in the streets, and that really is not the solution. I'm sure there is plenty of finger pointing to be done here, but the LESSON is the important thing for community members, as well as the KNOWLEDGE that can be gained by reviewing the situation as a whole rather than just asking WHO'S FAULT IT WAS.

I know for a fact there are many enthusiastic members here who simply do not know much about engines, tuning, etc. They put their trust, and money, into tuners without really understanding what is being done and what the consequences are. I don't mean to make light of the posters situation by turning this into "I told you so" thread, but I hope that we can all yet again, observe that these engines are NOT bulletproof, they can EASILY blow, even with MILD modifications for any NUMBER of reasons... be it a bad pulley install, crappy tune, etc., etc.

I wish you the very best of luck in this unfortunate situation LOCO. My experience would dictate, based on the information presented, that your problem was likely causes from overly aggressive ignition timing - especially with the melted spark plugs.

-m

Last edited by Marcus Frost; 03-14-2010 at 10:13 PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:14 PM
Banned

02 S500 Sport
Originally Posted by Thericker
Sorry to hear your troubles, but w/out posting who tuned/bombed your engine it's a worthless thread to others in harms way.... LET it out
LET what out?

Please LET me know

Old 03-14-2010, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 374 Likes on 275 Posts
2005 E55
my car is running lean also.I think I know who tuned your car.I cant believe i didnt melt my engine also,My car was 14.1 in the meat of the torque band with there base tune.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:26 PM

P-Carro
Originally Posted by Mikesamg
First off sorry to hear about your engine!

I want to say about not naming the tuner, this thread is useless otherwise. If you want to share your experience you need to post up who tuned it like you posted up who did the installs. Let the debate be civil and let the tuner have a right to defend themselves as this will effect business. Otherwise it's a one sided story of he said she said.

For any member who wants to buy a lousy engine tune from a marketing company that has yet to prove itself (unlike Kleeman, Renntech, and Jeremy formerly PC's tuner) my advice is stick with the tuners that know what they are doing. Less expensive tunes (you get what you pay for) are merely a scam from companies that exploit MB's ability to build a strong engine to mask their lack of head space.

The issue with your engine blowing is MECHANICAL FAILURE yes, but everything has a limit. It's limit was reached not because of faulty parts or any other reason then the software that controlled these MECHANICAL PARTS! Next they will be blaming the fuel for being explosive!
Thanks Mike! I understand all of the guys but just naming is not what this is about, i told them i was not posting this but off course their decision was so final, challenging and deceiving that left me no choice.. I am the easiest guy to screw over, but that is how you learn in life but guess what? **** hits the fan at some point!!

Originally Posted by aleksandar1099
When you said that you thought you blew a head gasket, that is exactly what I assumed as well with my car, except my engine bay had oil everywhere. I am very sorry to hear that happened to your car.

And to everyone that thinks that the OP is hiding something, he is not. He is actually giving a very down to earth honest opinion.
Tx man..I wont hide, i will be here!!
Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
Wow, Sundays are usually a quiet day on the forums, and look what we have here.

First off, thanks to LOCO for coming forward about his troubles, there are many out there who are not willing to put forth the courage it takes to deal with these kind of situations and the constant barrage of insults and generally unbecoming behavior people have towards members who run into these things. They should be thankful, and come together as a community, but as usual it seems that everyone on here is more interested in drama and popcorn. These are times when the community should rally around and figure these things out, rather than breaking out the cross to crucify someone.

The previous thread I participated in was a great example of this. Everyone wants blood in the streets, and that really is not the solution. I'm sure there is plenty of finger pointing to be done here, but the LESSON is the important thing for community members, as well as the KNOWLEDGE that can be gained by reviewing the situation as a whole rather than just asking WHO'S FAULT IT WAS.

I know for a fact there are many enthusiastic members here who simply do not know much about engines, tuning, etc. They put their trust, and money, into tuners without really understanding what is being done and what the consequences are. I don't mean to make light of the posters situation by turning this into "I told you so" thread, but I hope that we can all yet again, observe that these engines are NOT bulletproof, they can EASILY blow, even with MILD modifications for any NUMBER of reasons... be it a bad pulley install, crappy tune, etc., etc.

I wish you the very best of luck in this unfortunate situation LOCO. My experience would dictate, based on the information presented, that your problem was likely causes from overly aggressive ignition timing - especially with the melted spark plugs.

-m
+2
we all like to play but when the ball is on the other side of the court

How do i trust any tune in my car now?
Old 03-14-2010, 10:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Originally Posted by Thericker
Sorry to hear your troubles, but w/out posting who tuned/bombed your engine it's a worthless thread to others in harms way.... LET it out
Sean you are killin me
Old 03-14-2010, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 E55
Originally Posted by malakasnyc
about 4-5 hours
If my memory serves me right, that dyno meet in DC was postponed and postponed later because we had tons of snow and finally took place on March 6th. I might be wrong thou.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by skratch77
my car is running lean also.I think I know who tuned your car.I cant believe i didnt melt my engine also,My car was 14.1 in the meat of the torque band with there base tune.
Damn....14.1. What have you done to correct your problem?

I'm telling you guys, Log your car and invest in some equipment. I spent about 1k on my logging equipment and every time I tune my car I know exactly what's going on....I don't guess.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 41 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes
Originally Posted by LOCO 05' E55
I am the easiest guy to screw over, but that is how you learn in life but guess what? **** hits the fan at some point!!
That pretty much sums up my exact experience as well. If you always give the benefit of the doubt, sometimes it can really stab you in the back, even on a personal level.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 374 Likes on 275 Posts
2005 E55
Originally Posted by bassn_07
Damn....14.1. What have you done to correct your problem?

I'm telling you guys, Log your car and invest in some equipment. I spent about 1k on my logging equipment and every time I tune my car I know exactly what's going on....I don't guess.
I have an updated file thats supposed to have alot more fuel,but I havnt got a chance to put it on the dyno yet.

My ltfts are like 7.0 so I think its still lean
Old 03-14-2010, 10:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
V12TT
Originally Posted by emoving
As cold as it is here in Ohio, I am scared ****less to even full throttle my car now! WTF! This is getting outa control!
Why? Over here winter averaged 10 degrees and I mashed the CL hard and it's still running extremely strong. These cars have been tested like crazy under development so don't worry

Just as long as the oil is at the normal operating temperature before harsh driving... usually between 90-100 degrees
Old 03-14-2010, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by benz_addict
Why? Over here winter averaged 10 degrees and I mashed the CL hard and it's still running extremely strong. These cars have been tested like crazy under development so don't worry

Just as long as the oil is at the normal operating temperature before harsh driving... usually between 90-100 degrees
For sure it was pulling like a freight train but I have no idea how it is running inside......lean or otherwise.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:55 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
GL550, C55, 335i Coupe, vintage Mustang
The back to back run is only part of the problem. The high speed run under full load is another part of the problem. IMHO, the biggest part is the twenty degree weather. I can only imagine how lean the engine is running in that weather.

Again, I'm here to learn. This is my first supercharge car, so cut me some slack if I'm out of line.
Gump, if you think deeply about it, 20F degrees intake air is going to go through a supercharger. It is heated in there, and because of the compression and the ambient operating temps under the hood at load, it will probably be at about 120F degrees when it passes the intake air temp sensor. If the ambient was about 60F, intake temps would probably be around 140. This does not include variables such as a 180 pulley, which is known to raise temps even higher, but if the intercooling system recovers the temps quickly, then that will cancel that out. The ME should damn well be capable of adjusting for 40-50F differences in ambient temps. Of course, by adding too much timing and poor fuel maps into the equation, you have instantly taken out one of the preset safety parameters in the control unit.

Keep in mind, these cars were designed to be Autobahn stormers, and there are hundereds, if not thousands of hours of real world testing and development put into the fuel managment systems to ensure that they are functional in the real world. With a stock tune, that includes operating ranges from -30F-+120F.

Nick
Old 03-14-2010, 11:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by nick 55
Gump, if you think deeply about it, 20F degrees intake air is going to go through a supercharger. It is heated in there, and because of the compression and the ambient operating temps under the hood at load, it will probably be at about 120F degrees when it passes the intake air temp sensor. If the ambient was about 60F, intake temps would probably be around 140. This does not include variables such as a 180 pulley, which is known to raise temps even higher, but if the intercooling system recovers the temps quickly, then that will cancel that out. The ME should damn well be capable of adjusting for 40-50F differences in ambient temps. Of course, by adding too much timing and poor fuel maps into the equation, you have instantly taken out one of the preset safety parameters in the control unit.

Keep in mind, these cars were designed to be Autobahn stormers, and there are hundereds, if not thousands of hours of real world testing and development put into the fuel managment systems to ensure that they are functional in the real world. With a stock tune, that includes operating ranges from -30F-+120F.

Nick
Nice write up Nick!
Old 03-14-2010, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
IMO, I think box tunes are a thing of the past with all the different products from different companies. If you plan on getting a box tune stay with one company with their proven stages with their tune, if not get a custom tune by a proven reputable company. I'm not sure what this board would call exceptable...1 out of 100 tunes = blown engine??? IMO this is bs and it's time for everyone to come forward and tell their story. I wish I could tell but it's not my place to do so.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by emoving
Nice write up Nick!
I might know a little about what I'm doing.

Nick

I was asked to post these. These are Loco's engine.
Attached Thumbnails MY ENGINE WENT KA BOOOOOOMMM !!!-picture_104-1-.jpg   MY ENGINE WENT KA BOOOOOOMMM !!!-picture_106.jpg   MY ENGINE WENT KA BOOOOOOMMM !!!-picture_103.jpg   MY ENGINE WENT KA BOOOOOOMMM !!!-picture_110.jpg   MY ENGINE WENT KA BOOOOOOMMM !!!-picture_111.jpg  

MY ENGINE WENT KA BOOOOOOMMM !!!-picture_112.jpg  
Old 03-14-2010, 11:12 PM

and a few more... The white spot on the piston in the first pic I posted above is a hot spot. That point was so hot that it burned all the carbon off of the piston in that place. Unfortunately, the block had a point that got just a little bit hotter a little bit faster.

Nick
Attached Thumbnails MY ENGINE WENT KA BOOOOOOMMM !!!-picture_109.jpg   MY ENGINE WENT KA BOOOOOOMMM !!!-picture_108.jpg   MY ENGINE WENT KA BOOOOOOMMM !!!-picture_107.jpg  

Last edited by nick 55; 03-14-2010 at 11:14 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: MY ENGINE WENT KA BOOOOOOMMM !!!