M156- pieces of metal in oil/oil filter - need favor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 07:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E36M3 race car/Ferrari F355 GTS/1973 Mini 1275GT/Fiat Abarth/ML63/SLK55
M156- pieces of metal in oil/oil filter - need favor

i have an ml63. I have rattling sound on startup but goes away when engine is hot.

according to dealer i'm not within range of motors affected by SB 20/20b
http://www.justanswer.com/mercedes/4...oise-sump.html

The problem is that there are particles of metal - small say 0.5 mm trapped in my oil filter. every 5th pleat in the filter has a flake. some have what looks like black plastic pieces too.

- favor-

can you guys check your filters at next oil change and report what you find here? not sure if this is normal for the m156 motor.

thanks.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Metal in your filter is a BIG deal. They should fix it under regular warranty ( if it has any ).
Old 01-25-2012, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E63, 2006 C55
RE: Metal in Engine

I've had my E63 almost 3 years. Engine has been bulletproof aside from an intake gasket leak.

Just changed oil last week, oil had had been in the engine since July 2011, no metal shavings or chunks of anything in the filter or the oil.

I've never seen anything like you are describing, sounds like something is very wrong. I'd get it looked at asap!
Old 01-26-2012, 06:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

thx nce500. it's not chunks but tiny flakes say half milimeter, and not a lot. agree any metal is bad i was just wondering if slim chance this may be normal for m156.

so yeah- would appreciate if other e63 owners could pull apart the pleats on the oil filters and look carefully see if that have the same thing.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
2004 E55,1969 300SEL6.3,2011 ML350 BlueTec Diesel,2005 ML400 CDI
If the flakes have part numbers on them then it's really serious. In any event, there certainly appears to be something going on. I strongly suggest that you take a sample of hot oil and send it to a lab for analysis. I've been doing this for 40 years at every oil change with my aircraft and autos. A good lab can usually tell what part is failing. For the last several years I have been using Titan Labs. They were originally recommended to me by Exxon/Mobil.

http://www.titanlab.com/

Last edited by AgSilver; 01-26-2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07' SL65, 04' E55, 03' Evo8, 08' GSXR, DSM's...
It is not normal to have metal flakes in your oil. I would send out a sample asap. I use blackstone laboratories for all oil samples. Good luck.

Aaron
Old 01-26-2012, 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CTSV/6sp Grocery Getter
Originally Posted by WHTEVO
It is not normal to have metal flakes in your oil. I would send out a sample asap. I use blackstone laboratories for all oil samples. Good luck.

Aaron
Another for Blackstone, have been sending them my oil for years.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55, S600, ML63
Hello, I realize that this is an old thread by I just had a very similar situation with a 2007 ML63 with 70k (ish) miles that I just purchased. The history on the vehicle was pristine, always serviced at MB dealer with full records, my first oil change (with a very trusted mechanic) had visible metal in the oil.

Engine runs perfectly, no odd sounds, mechanic used a stethoscope to attempt to detect noise to predict a failure, but said the engine sounds perfect.

AWDman, I am curious as to your outcome.

Mechanic indicated that the cost of doing anything preventative is probably no less expensive than repair after failure. If risk it to cam shaft(s), per some internet conversation, it seems that preventative examination and replacement may prevent greater damage. That said, I am not a mechanic, and I don't ever play one on TV so I am speaking from ignorance.

My mechanic races, and has a good lab that we are sending an oil sample to, but given the amount of similar material in the engine he is skeptical that the sample will be able to identify the specific failing component.

Any additional thoughts on this situation?

Thanks!

Last edited by kldcoombs; 09-16-2016 at 10:08 AM.
Old 09-16-2016, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
2004 E55,1969 300SEL6.3,2011 ML350 BlueTec Diesel,2005 ML400 CDI
Originally Posted by kldcoombs
Hello, I realize that this is an old thread by I just had a very similar situation with a 2007 ML63 with 70k (ish) miles that I just purchased. The history on the vehicle was pristine, always serviced at MB dealer with full records, my first oil change (with a very trusted mechanic) had visible metal in the oil.

Engine runs perfectly, no odd sounds, mechanic used a stethoscope to attempt to detect noise to predict a failure, but said the engine sounds perfect.

Mechanic indicated that the cost of doing anything preventative is probably no less expensive than repair after failure. If risk it to cam shaft(s), per some internet conversation, it seems that preventative examination and replacement may prevent greater damage. That said, I am not a mechanic, and I don't ever play one on TV so I am speaking from ignorance.

My mechanic races, and has a good lab that we are sending an oil sample to, but given the amount of similar material in the engine he is skeptical that the sample will be able to identify the specific failing component.

Thanks!
Good labs can identify which component(s) is failing. I have been using Titan for many years and have a continuous history enabling comparison over the entire operational time . http://www.titanlab.com/

You are certainly approaching the problem properly. Correcting it before there is a failure will certainly be less expensive. Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
kldcoombs (09-16-2016)
Old 09-16-2016, 03:09 PM

Received 82 Likes on 76 Posts
E63 AMG 2007
If you go to Blackstone Labs (search: blackstone oil analysis) there is a report explanation section, scroll down and the trace metals etc are coupled to the most likely source. Test kits are free and analysis $28. Just FYI, I've never used them so not endorsing.

update: I have used Blackstone many times since this post. Very valuable, helpful in monitoring your engine over time. Very friendly and helpful staff there. A person answers the phone and techs are available to answer questions. Highly recommended.

Last edited by Dublinoh; 07-02-2021 at 10:23 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dublinoh:
kldcoombs (09-16-2016), PNW_E63_AMG (10-03-2022)
Old 12-11-2016, 09:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Update

Originally Posted by kldcoombs

Thanks!
sorry for late reply. I had checked a few more times afterwards but no real recurrence of flakes. Had not pursued oil analysis. Recently did valve cover gasket and some wear on cam lobes nothing dramatic. Now 115k miles on the ml- not really worried as I've put perhaps 50k miles since I initially reported on this thread. Will run the Mobil 1 0w40 and add some zddp via redline break in additive for some added scuff protection.

Last edited by AWDman; 12-11-2016 at 09:42 AM.
The following users liked this post:
PNW_E63_AMG (10-03-2022)