W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disappointed on Mercedes

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 E63, KTM990, 2012 CLS63, 1972 W108 280SE 4.5
Disappointed on Mercedes

I love my car, and think its amazing ...but I'm experiencing mixed feeling with Mercedes and the quality of their products. I use to believe that Mercedes build durable, rough, solid cars ... Unfortunately this is gradually fading away!

I had an Audi 2009 TTS which I gave to my brother, because I needed more space for the family... So I get the 2008 E63 and my dad a new 2012 CLS63.
Also we have a couple of 3 series at the company. And a 2012 A7 for my

Never had a BMW myself, but so far the quality of these cars is amazing. The Audis, by far the best interior design and electronics.... Great diving position on both brands.

Yesterday my keylees door handle quit working, 3 weeks ago the thermostat housing had to be replaced ... The car had to be towed due to a complete coolant leak....

And to top it off I can't take the head-bolt issue out of my head. ....every morning I hear the ticking sound (which according to my dealer is normal) .. I'm worried all the time and not enjoying the car... Like always pending if something wrong is going to happen ... I avoid many times flooring the pedal.

The damn MB dealers haven't help either ... So far not good experiences with them.... I can't trust them.

I bought a 1972 280SE 4.5 which I expect to receive in a couple of weeks.... I'm sure this was a good MB which made MB fame...

I really wish I could just use the car and enjoy it, and not to worry.

Btw, only 23000 miles on it and had it since new.

Last edited by 2008AMG63; 08-15-2012 at 11:04 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by 2008AMG63
I love my car, and think its amazing ...but I'm experiencing mixed feeling with Mercedes and the quality of their products. I use to believe that Mercedes build durable, rough, solid cars ... Unfortunately this is gradually fading away!

I had an Audi 2009 TTS which I gave to my brother, because I needed more space for the family... So I get the 2008 E63 and my dad a new 2012 CLS63.
Also we have a couple of 3 series at the company. And a 2012 A7 for my

Never had a BMW myself, but so far the quality of these cars is amazing. The Audis, by far the best interior design and electronics.... Great diving position on both brands.

Yesterday my keylees door handle quit working, 3 weeks ago the thermostat housing had to be replaced ... The car had to be towed due to a complete coolant leak....

And to top it off I can't take the head-bolt issue out of my head. ....every morning I hear the ticking sound (which according to my dealer is normal) .. I'm worried all the time and not enjoying the car... Like always pending if something wrong is going to happen ... I avoid many times flooring the pedal.

The damn MB dealers haven't help either ... So far not good experiences with them.... I can't trust them.

I bought a 1972 280SE 4.5 which I expect to receive in a couple of weeks.... I'm sure this was a good MB which made MB fame...

I really wish I could just use the car and enjoy it, and not to worry.

Btw, only 23000 miles on it and had it since new.
Apparently the ticking noise when cold IS normal...my wifes ML350 does the same thing and works fine and I've heard other 63's do it as well with zero issues.

Just drive it and beat on it and be happy destroying the competition.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Bought mine new now at 122,000 miles there is still a valve tick very light on cold start up. I ignore it now.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
Alot of E63 owners ran into problems and continue to run into problems as you described. I myself wanted a newer AMG, but ended up getting the E55 instead. My decision weighed in factors that the E63 had and searching this board and reading up on posts for over a year, I decided on the E55.

I feel your pain in the issues you keep having. Maybe trade it in if you can for something else?
Old 08-16-2012, 10:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 SL65, '13 FX4 Eco
Main reason I didnt get a ML63 over the X5M... Read about alot of problems especially with the 63s for some reason. I ended up having alot of problems with my E55 by the end and I just didnt want to put up with it anymore. I feel your pain man.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:39 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2008 W463 G500, 2003 Terminator Cobra (710RWHP), 2012 S350 Bluetec, 2010 911 C4S, 2007 VRSCDX
HAHAHAHAHA Audi, hahahahah every independent mechanic I have known agrees they make the cheapest cars of the bunch. when you open them up everything is stamped with a VW logo.

Your events are unfortunate but rememeber what you are expecting of the car. 510hp, daily driver, extermely comfortable, track ready, safe, reliable, electronically advanced. At some point certain things are going to have to give.

Mercedes Benz is engineering excellence, that is why they make everything from Garbage trucks, taxis, semis, Super cars and 400k luxury sedans. No other automaker in the world does this outside of possibly Volvo which is lacking on the highend spectrum and possibly GM.

I have had issues with my E63 but to sit behind the wheel of a Mercedes with one of the largest if not the largest displacement motors ever produced = PRICELESS
Old 08-16-2012, 06:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 C32 gone, 06 CLS55, 16 Tesla X
You should sell your 63 to get another vw. Your dad made the right decision though

If one is DYI or has a lot of $$$, he should be comfort to drive a Benz. If not, it's better to drive a civic jk
Old 08-16-2012, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
03 E55 AMG, 06 Harley Road King Custom 06 Ram 2500 Cummins, 97 Firebird Race Car, 88 Cutlass Supreme
Originally Posted by W109 W211 6.2L
Your events are unfortunate but rememeber what you are expecting of the car. 510hp, daily driver, extermely comfortable, track ready, safe, reliable, electronically advanced. At some point certain things are going to have to give.
Corvette does it with a bulletproof drivetrain. Not a luxury car, but a daily driven, track ready, safe, comfyish monster.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:03 PM

2008 SL600
I sell VWs and owned a 2002 1.8T passat as well as a 2006 VR6 Lux and I love the cars. I personally had no problems with either of them and the 2002 had 225k miles on it and only ever had an oil pump go out lol
Old 08-16-2012, 07:05 PM

2017 991.2 Turbo PDK 2017 C63S Coupe Ceramic Brakes 2015 CLS63S AMG Full House
Sell your current E63 and buy another(less miles) E63, you won't be dissapointed. Oh and BTW, drive the ***** out of it(in a nice way), thats what makes all the difference.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
HAHAHAHAHA Audi, hahahahah every independent mechanic I have known agrees they make the cheapest cars of the bunch. when you open them up everything is stamped with a VW logo.

Mercedes Benz is engineering excellence, that is why they make everything from Garbage trucks, taxis, semis, Super cars and 400k luxury sedans. No other automaker in the world does this outside of possibly Volvo which is lacking on the highend spectrum and possibly GM.

I have had issues with my E63 but to sit behind the wheel of a Mercedes with one of the largest if not the largest displacement motors ever produced = PRICELESS
You kinda went a bit overboard with the "largest displacement" comment but yes....it is priceless....lol.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:53 PM

2008 SL600
Originally Posted by GT-ER
You kinda went a bit overboard with the "largest displacement" comment but yes....it is priceless....lol.

LOL Yeah I think the 8.1 liter in my old 2500HD is bigger?... Not sure though

Just jokes
Old 08-16-2012, 09:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 E63 AMG, 1991 NSX, 2007 Corvette
I understand your concern, but if you really want a car that you don't have to worry about and it will always be there for you day after day, get a Honda Accord. But when you start getting into high horsepower cars with tons of electronics, you have to be prepared to strap in for a wild ride. 'Thank God you didn't opt for a Ferrari. Your mechanic would soon be your best friend because those cars are constantly in need of this or that. But you seem to have quite a stable of cars. Let me know if you are doing any adopting !!!!
Take a deep breath, strap in and just enjoy !!
Old 08-16-2012, 09:36 PM

2008 E63, KTM990, 2012 CLS63, 1972 W108 280SE 4.5

Unfortunately they (MB or any other brand) don't pay me for being an inconditional fan .... I enjoy cars very much and I'm passionate about them .. but I'm not a blind hoolingan on any brand.

They have to earn my preference, not the other way around! .. We pay a lot of money for their products and in exchange we can demand quality.

We have had many cars in the family, some of them expensive...

A beautiful 2006 Maserati Quattroporte GTS - a POS semiautomatic gearbox.. we get rid of it in less than a year.

3 A6's, an A7, a 2006 TT, the 2009 TTS .... We must have been very lucky, but no problems with these cars. ... Yes a VW, but I dont see anything wrong with that... they also own Porsche, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Bentley!!!

funny story: 2007 Q7 .. mom's car, only lasted like 6 months and was exchanged for a Cadillac Escalade ... and after a couple of months with a Toyota Sienna! ... her arguments: the Q7 was very tought on the road and not comfty on back seat (i agree), the cadillac a monster ... the Sienna? nobody dares to touch or say anything about her minivan, funny to see somebody with a driver on a Minivan ... She loves the back space - a clear example of unbranded thinking.

that is why they make everything from Garbage trucks, taxis, semis, Super cars and 400k luxury sedans. No other automaker in the world does this outside of possibly Volvo which is lacking on the highend spectrum and possibly GM
... VW is a bigger group, has all the range, even impresive super cars like the Bugatti, the Aventador or the R8. Nissan also has a wide range. Ford. etc

Anyhow, I love my Mercedes E63 and its the car I want to have.. I like this design more than anything ... I even like it way more than my dad's new CLS63 ... otherwise I would have one. Also I don't like the new E series, will choose a 5 series instead.

That's why Im mad and disappointed ... I want to have this car for many years and I want it to be bullet proof .. Im not against maintaining it properly! I want it to be a classic in 30 years

But I hate Mercedes Benz dealers and people in charge for not making me feel at ease with my car...

I think I feel better now....
Old 08-17-2012, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts
2014 E63s amg 4matic, 2009 C63, 2006 E55 AMG , 2001.5 AUDI S4 stg 3+ w/meth

i am sure your mechanics must think bugatti veryon and lamborghini's are cheap cars too since they also have VW stamped all over the engines since they are also made by Audi/VW since they are part of VAG (volkswagon audi group)... btw the buggatti's engine is basically 2 audi twin turbored v8's graphted together to make a 16 cyl quad turbo....

oh and the 3rd fastest time ever around the Nürburgring is in an audi powered car (gumpert apollo)

yep them audi's are cheap cars like the bugatti's and lambos
Old 08-17-2012, 02:27 PM

2008 SL600
Originally Posted by gaspam
i am sure your mechanics must think bugatti veryon and lamborghini's are cheap cars too since they also have VW stamped all over the engines since they are also made by Audi/VW since they are part of VAG (volkswagon audi group)... btw the buggatti's engine is basically 2 audi twin turbored v8's graphted together to make a 16 cyl quad turbo....

oh and the 3rd fastest time ever around the Nürburgring is in an audi powered car (gumpert apollo)

yep them audi's are cheap cars like the bugatti's and lambos

Couldn't have said it better.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts
E 63S Wagon Renntech, E55 Renntech, SL65, SL 55 030, ML, bunch of old ones--they come, they go...
If you think....

that MB reliability and build quality are far superior to that of Audi, you need to wake up. I hate to say it, after driving these cars for over 30 years now, but the Audi build quality, and more importantly, the quality of the raw materials, is superior to what MB is doing. Not to mention that mb seems to think they need to build a vehicle that satisfies every single customer on the planet--thereby cheapening the brand.
My son in law has worked for BMW USA for several years and management are all in agreement. The brand that they are concerned about is not MB, who they think have lost their way--but Audi, who has really turned up the heat.
Just my .02 which is exactly what it's worth....
Old 08-19-2012, 08:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by BBBSS
Corvette does it with a bulletproof drivetrain. Not a luxury car, but a daily driven, track ready, safe, comfyish monster.
You are so right and I compare MY (bought new vet) the MY MB.

The vet has needed one a/c tension pulley and one oil pressure sending unit in 92,000 of driving some on the race track at VHS.

The MB driven by my wife little grandmother has needed..

SBC, complete air suspension all 4 corners, and the list goes on and on and on. ...........

If the corvette is such a hard driver and it is and it is so reliable why isn't the MB?.. UMMM

Note my avitar on the race track me driving.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:23 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2008 W463 G500, 2003 Terminator Cobra (710RWHP), 2012 S350 Bluetec, 2010 911 C4S, 2007 VRSCDX
Originally Posted by vettdvr
You are so right and I compare MY (bought new vet) the MY MB.

The vet has needed one a/c tension pulley and one oil pressure sending unit in 92,000 of driving some on the race track at VHS.

The MB driven by my wife little grandmother has needed..

SBC, complete air suspension all 4 corners, and the list goes on and on and on. ...........

If the corvette is such a hard driver and it is and it is so reliable why isn't the MB?.. UMMM

Note my avitar on the race track me driving.
NO question GM makes some durable products. Knock on wood I am glad you have a trouble free corvette. I also owned a TBSS with a LS2, it spun a rod bearing at 14,XXX miles. Then i decided to stroke out the motor to a 402. It was an awesome truck and I will buy another LS based motor car.

However, I wouldnt compare a Vette to a Mercedes because the interior build quality is not the same. However GM uses a Dry Sump system on a $60k Vette while Benz only offers this on a SLS last I checked (Fail Mercedes!).

Most durable American car I have ever owned tho 2003 Terminator Cobra Sonic Blue (& any I6 Cast Iron block Jeep). That car was bullet proof and could make HUGE numbers on the stock block and build (Combination of Forged and Cast Iron).

as for Audi to each his own, BMW aspires to compete with Mercedes Benz in terms of units sold. Clearly Audi is eating BMW market share because AUDI is the "it" car right now for 20 to 35 somethings. BMW should be worried. As for interior quality, the electrical issue will come in your AUDI, dont worry, its still a VW. As for Lambo and Bugatti, i could careless for either. The only VW owned exotic I would consider tomorrow is a Porsche and it is barely a VW. Ferrari over LAMBO any day!

It is your money enjoy it where you want. My money will never go to AUDI, VW, LAMBO, or Bugatti, its all I am saying
Old 08-20-2012, 02:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 AMG edition 1
Audis IMO are not built to stand the test of time as well as a MB. Trust me, I own several of them. I can rant on about all the problems ive had but it will just be way too much to read

Last edited by ferrariyellow44; 08-20-2012 at 02:28 PM.