W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official Weistec M113K 3.0L Supercharger, PICTURES INSIDE!!!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 4.69 average.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
A Merc
Of course you are going to blame someone else except you, you would have alot more honor to say we effed up and are fixing it

What about a few other people with your sc that have leaning out conditions while driving on the street? Let's open the can of worms now...
Old 02-07-2013, 10:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Originally Posted by Weistec
Earlier you said our tunes run lean and this is the cause of the engine burning a piston, however our issue is that there are email exchanges from us and the shop working on the car stating the car is running 10.8 AFR and it would pick up some power if we leaned the tune up a bit. We declined to change the tune because we have tested it on multiple cars for over a year and it has passed all quality control tests we have ran. This particular car has identical air fuel ratios as both of our test cars that we drive daily. It is a possibility that the integrity of our hardware/software were compromised by a third party (I.E. Editing tune) and this is the part you are leaving out.

Weistec Engineering
If a shop modified your tune against your wishes and they are your preferred dealer you may want to think about terminating your relationship with that shop.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:00 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts
Weistec
Again you can form your own opinion and speak on it. What we just stated isn't blaming anyone. It is stating facts just like you wanted. Enjoy your night.

Weistec Engineering
Old 02-07-2013, 11:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A Merc
Exactly , you putting blame on someone else or the shop, what about your tune that leans out, you don't think that contributed to the engine blowing up?
Old 02-07-2013, 11:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Originally Posted by Hulk
Exactly , you putting blame on someone else or the shop, what about your tune that leans out, you don't think that contributed to the engine blowing up?
Hulk I don't have a dog in this fight but if I read it correctly it sounds like the shop/installer modified the original file created by Weistec
Old 02-07-2013, 11:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A Merc
I don't either but this innocent stuff is bs...

The iats were over 190* where's that part of the story

Hey Weistec answer this,...

What analysis and testing did you do in comparison to AMG to justify the elimination of the sc clutch. The single fail safe against excessive iats that your company determined was not needed.

Afr is not the direct cause of engine failure it's detonation and that comes from both iats and AFRs and of course timing

You mentioned what the AFRs were but what was the timing and iats.

Are you now feeling that the clutch elimination wasn't a good decision after all??

Amg put that clutch there for a reason
Old 02-07-2013, 11:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts
2012 C63 BS & 2014 E63 Estate & 2008 CLK63 BS
Hulk, we all know you have no interest in the product. Let's leave it to those who either have the product or are interested in the product to deal with this issue. It seems weistec is aware of the issue and is dealing with it accordingly. What more can you ask for? And why aren't you asking the same questions to OE tuning about lean conditions?
Old 02-07-2013, 11:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A Merc
I have along with MANY others OE tuning and we are happy, what about your tuner,which I don't want to bring here so stfu!

Go back to the barn pigboy

This is something that has to be known to save others, unlike you that has no intelligence

Last edited by Hulk; 02-07-2013 at 11:48 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts
2012 C63 BS & 2014 E63 Estate & 2008 CLK63 BS
Originally Posted by ajm55
Gents,the vehicle in question is mine. We have had issues this side but I am currently working closely with Weistec with a view to resolving them. I will, in due course, publish a full review. In the meantime I'd be grateful if you would all resist the temptation to speculate.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
1000Hp Diesel Trucks, 2019 E63s
Originally Posted by Hulk
I don't either but this innocent stuff is bs...

The iats were over 190* where's that part of the story

Hey Weistec answer this,...

What analysis and testing did you do in comparison to AMG to justify the elimination of the sc clutch. The single fail safe against excessive iats that your company determined was not needed.

Afr is not the direct cause of engine failure it's detonation and that comes from both iats and AFRs and of course timing

You mentioned what the AFRs were but what was the timing and iats.

Are you now feeling that the clutch elimination wasn't a good decision after all??

Amg put that clutch there for a reason
The bypass valve is really the fail safe for high IAT's in this setup, it opens and dumps all of the boost. Now that being said who knows if they have the tuning for that dialed in or not. As I've stated previously I don't see the intercooler they're using up to the task due to it's relatively small size, but I'm not saying that has anything to do with what happened because I don't know what happened.

Last edited by PACougar; 02-08-2013 at 12:16 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A Merc
Pa, I have asked questions but seems they want to run around them, anyone that has had intentions of buying this setup please read this and be forewarned, the ones who do have this system, speak up with any problems you have, after all isn't this what the forum is for?
Old 02-08-2013, 12:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl55 amg
Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
.....I'be been burned so many times now. I don't buy the propaganda from tuners. A lot of cars you hear about are actually not tuning right, don't make the power tuners claim, or have check engine lights. You just don't hear about it on the forums. Some tuners don't even do a baseline dyno for comparison. All you hear is a lot of hyperbole while the cars still sit in the shop, yet to be fixed. Meanwhile, the tuners use the otooaganda and sell more of the same stuff. So unless the owner of the car actually does and independent dyno and says his/or her car is running just right without issues or cel, I won't believe it.

......notice that you see a lot of threads excitedly announcing some monster project. Notice also you never see the same thread return and say project has been completed and car runs perfectly fine and no issues. I think Mercedes tuners are not quite at the same level as tuners if other cars. Or the Mercedes electronics might be too complicated. But there are actually very few truly successful projects from Mercedes tuners.

.......I could drop off my Gallardo today and in pick it up in 6 weeks with tt dine and no issues. We just don't have the same level of expertise in the my/amg tuner world, even if you have the funds to pay for it. So I am always skeptical

Ted
could not agree more. after a couple conversations with some mercedes tuners it has really scared me. also charging $800 plus or minus for an out of the box tune someone already paid them to do (which any other tuner in the world would use as a base map for a custom tune free!!!) flat out pisses me off and is highway robbery. after hearing from one member the afr's some tuners were shooting for, were way more on the lines of a race gas tune or an n/a tune! i am really starting to see why these engines are letting go and i am curious if anyone is learning from the mistakes.
there is only one person i am letting tune my car, and it is the same guy that figured out, and would be tuning that tt gallardo you are talking about!
Old 02-08-2013, 01:12 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Weistec
Earlier you said our tunes run lean and this is the cause of the engine burning a piston, however our issue is that there are email exchanges from us and the shop working on the car stating the car is running 10.8 AFR and it would pick up some power if we leaned the tune up a bit. We declined to change the tune because we have tested it on multiple cars for over a year and it has passed all quality control tests we have ran. This particular car has identical air fuel ratios as both of our test cars that we drive daily. It is a possibility that the integrity of our hardware/software were compromised by a third party (I.E. Editing tune) and this is the part you are leaving out.

Weistec Engineering
Steve, this post is highly irresponsible. It disregards the confidence I understood us to be maintaining regarding the incident while our attempts to get to the bottom of it were still underway and it contains factual inaccuracies.

As I have already indicated to you, in all the private communications I've had with individuals on the forum with regard to the restoration of my engine, I've done my best to deflect attention away from the notion that there may be some connection between the engine failure and your product. (See my thread entitled WEISTEC: Setting the record straight). I've done this so as to avoid the very calibre of online speculation into which I have now (reluctantly, as a result of your post) been drawn.

I assured you, when you first enquired whether your tune had been modified, that it had not. I indicated to you that my tuner (Mo) had in any event told me that he was not able to access and/or manipulate the tune even if he wished to do so. I thought that this issue had been put to bed and was surprised to see it the rear its head again for the first time on a public forum.

Let me say again - I never instructed or requested Mo to tamper in any way with your tune. You are now either attacking my integrity or suggesting that Mo, without any prompting from me and while on a frolic of his own, modified your true. The former of these two possibilities is insulting and the latter is outrageous.

Unless you are in possession of correspondence from Mo that I have not seen, I have no doubt that you are taking the e-mail to which you are referring out of context with the result that a skewed perspective is being presented.

I invite you to refrain from getting into the detail on this or any other public forum until such time as our efforts to resolve this matter have been exhausted - unless I must infer from your post that that time has arrived, in which event say so.

Last edited by ajm55; 02-08-2013 at 08:09 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
.....here is another tuner advertising their non existent tt for an AMG car. All we are saying is that Mercedes Benz wannabe tuners should stop using the forum to hawk products that are not viable, where cars still have cel or drive ability issues etc. If you want to step into the big leagues, visit tuners like www.undergroundracing.com and learn how it's done. It gets annoying when every other thread is a tuner wannabe excitedly selling some half-baked product

https://mbworld.org/forums/sls-amg-g...s-project.html

Ted
Old 02-08-2013, 07:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 116 Likes on 74 Posts
2016 Cls63s AMG
that sucks....

Last edited by berti_00; 02-08-2013 at 09:25 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
I can sympathize with Weistec on this one.

They developed a kit for a specific horsepower goal, tuned it conservatively so that it would be reliable under all reasonable conditions.

IATs of 190* are NOT reasonable..... And I'm sure this is not a value that Weistec was designing for with their tune. The elimination of the clutch assembly and bypass valve removes some of the factory "failsafe" mechanisms for dealing with high IATs. That puts the onus on the installer/car owner to make sure that they are data logging and are taking every precaution to keep IATs in the range that Weistec has designed and tested for.

(BTW -> I'd be curious to know what range of IATs Weistec feels it can safely work with.)

In my own opinion, it seems like most guys here were bashing Weistec from the very start for not being "aggressive" enough with their horsepower numbers..... Immediately asking them to provide race tunes, more boost, leaner AFRs or whatever. I just don't get it..... The package they built was a completely docile 575WHP solution, with great drivability and reliability. The mob wanted a lot more horsepower even though clearly they have no appetite for catastrophic engine failures.

It was inevitable that people would buy the Weistec kit and then start "improving" it for more power (I use the word "improve" sarcastically).... Messing with the tune and throwing away all of the remaining safety margin to get a bigger HP number. I'm not saying that the tune was tampered with in this specific case, but the fact that the installer wanted to focus on leaning out the tune instead of addressing the 190* IATs is disturbing.

-G

Last edited by GregMB; 02-08-2013 at 10:23 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-08-2013, 09:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
1967 Pro Touring turbo LSX Camaro
The bypass valve isn't eliminated in this case, although it isn't used as a failsafe as is the blower clutch. It's just for drivability improvement and part throttle use to eliminate boost when cruising IIRC. Even if the tune were to allow for the bypass valve to open at WOT in the event of an IAT spike , it's not big enough to bypass the CFM of air that a blower at full boogie will produce.

On a separate note, how much bigger than the stocker is the Weistec IC core? Has anyone seen pics?
Old 02-08-2013, 10:21 AM

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by GregMB
I can sympathize with Weistec on this one.

They developed a kit for a specific horsepower goal, tuned it conservatively so that it would be reliable under all reasonable conditions.

IATs of 190* are NOT reasonable..... And I'm sure this is not a value that Weistec was designing for with their tune. The elimination of the clutch assembly and bypass valve removes some of the factory "failsafe" mechanisms for dealing with high IATs. That puts the onus on the installer/car owner to make sure that they are data logging and are taking every precaution to keep IATs in the range that Weistec has designed and tested for.

(I'd be curious to know what range of IATs Weistec feels it can safely work with.)

In my own opinion, it seems like most guys here were bashing Weistec from the very start for not being "aggressive" enough with their horsepower numbers..... Immediately asking them to provide race tunes, more boost, leaner AFRs or whatever. I just don't get it..... The package they built was a completely docile 575WHP solution, that was completely drivable and reliable. But the mob wanted a lot more horsepower though clearly it has no appetite for catastrophic engine failures.

It was inevitable that people would buy the Weistec kit and then start "improving" it for more power (I use the word "improve" sarcastically).... Messing with the tune and throwing away all of the remaining safety margin to get a bigger HP number. I'm not saying that the tune was tampered with in this specific case, but the fact that the installer wanted to focus on leaning out the tune instead of addressing the 190* IATs is disturbing.

-G
The reference to my tuner wanting to lean out the tune is taken out of context. I'll need some time to collate all of the info for my performance review and engine failure threads so bear with me. I'll deal fully in one of those threads with this slant put on my tuner's words as also the accusation that my tuner in fact tampered with the tune.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A Merc
Ajm, you have nothing to prove in my opinion, you have proven to be a man of honor while weistec has not
Old 02-09-2013, 04:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500
Steve, this post is highly irresponsible. It disregards the confidence I understood us to be maintaining regarding the incident while our attempts to get to the bottom of it were still underway and it contains factual inaccuracies.

As I have already indicated to you, in all the private communications I've had with individuals on the forum with regard to the restoration of my engine, I've done my best to deflect attention away from the notion that there may be some connection between the engine failure and your product. (See my thread entitled WEISTEC: Setting the record straight). I've done this so as to avoid the very calibre of online speculation into which I have now (reluctantly, as a result of your post) been drawn.

I assured you, when you first enquired whether your tune had been modified, that it had not. I indicated to you that my tuner (Mo) had in any event told me that he was not able to access and/or manipulate the tune even if he wished to do so. I thought that this issue had been put to bed and was surprised to see it the rear its head again for the first time on a public forum.

Let me say again - I never instructed or requested Mo to tamper in any way with your tune. You are now either attacking my integrity or suggesting that Mo, without any prompting from me and while on a frolic of his own, modified your true. The former of these two possibilities is insulting and the latter is outrageous.

Unless you are in possession of correspondence from Mo that I have not seen, I have no doubt that you are taking the e-mail to which you are referring out of context with the result that a skewed perspective is being presented.

I invite you to refrain from getting into the detail on this or any other public forum until such time as our efforts to resolve this matter have been exhausted - unless I must infer from your post that that time has arrived, in which event say so.
Ajm55, you are a gentleman, sir. Good job resisting the urge to litigate this on the forum.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:56 AM

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by dkiogora
Ajm55, you are a gentleman, sir. Good job resisting the urge to litigate this on the forum.
Thank you kindly. My efforts to find a solution privately were thwarted.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
The reference to my tuner wanting to lean out the tune is taken out of context. I'll need some time to collate all of the info for my performance review and engine failure threads so bear with me. I'll deal fully in one of those threads with this slant put on my tuner's words as also the accusation that my tuner in fact tampered with the tune.

IMHO you shouldn't have made any of these posts until you had the time to document everything completely....

Posting up a partial story with inflammatory content just whips the forum into a frenzy, and you end up with the kind of mess you've got now. I'm sure in retrospect you probably wish you had just continued working this issue privately with Weistec....

It's obvious now that mistakes were made during the install of this kit, and it sure sounds like there was quite a bit of stubbornness about doing the necessary troubleshooting steps that Weistec asked you to do.... Once the motor blew everything got emotional and perhaps you were hoping to use MBWorld to beat up on Weistec?

During your struggles with the car, did you ever send datalogs to Weistec? My guess is that you (or your installer) did. Weistec took one look at the AFRs and timing and saw values in those logs that were completely impossible with the tune they provided...

My suggestion is that you start addressing ALL the questions that exist now to stop the speculation. You can't directly post up PMs , but you certainly can paraphrase those discussions and emails if you think that proves your case.

-G
Old 02-09-2013, 10:53 AM

2006 E55 AMG
Greg, I'm sure your sentiments come from a good place but there are events of which you're unaware which prompted the posting of my initial thread when it was posted. As indicated in my thread, Weistec withdrew from discussion on the basis of an ill-conceived notion that I was in some way connected with the provocation disguised as Hulk. They also suggested I clear things up "publicly". This, coupled with there choice to articulate on the forum inflammatory information relating to the incident itself, forced my hand. So continuing to "work the issue with Weistec privately" was not an option.

Your comment that once the motor blew "... everything got emotional and perhaps you were hoping to use MBWorld to beat up on Weistec ..." tells me that you can't have read the private message extracts in my op. Unequivocally, they say precisely the opposite.

Your suggestion about paraphrasing emails is noted. Fact is though that since the motor blew, all interaction has been in writing. There's a full documentary record and no good reason for it not to be available here. That way, there's no room for a he said she said scenario and everyone can focus on the common cause facts when trying to contribute.

You must understand that this is not a Weistec witch hunt. I've already said that I don't know what caused the failure. Here's the thing though. Their product is not inexpensive. I'm spending a small fortune on rebuilding the engine. I'm then going to reinstall the Weistec blower onto the rebuild. For peace of mind, I would want to know that the cause of this catastrophe is unlikey to rear it's ugly head on the new motor. Weistec have now dismissed this on the basis that their tune was tampered with. That does not fly. I never asked my tuner to alter the tune (which incidentally Weistec accepts) and the notion that my tuner would, while on a frolic of his own, play around with the tune at my risk and without telling me is ... well how shall I put it ... preposterous. So Weistec have washed their hands of this. I, on the other hand, have no option but to seek out the insights of those on the forum in a bid to identify the true cause of the failure.

Hope that explains my position.

Originally Posted by GregMB
IMHO you shouldn't have made any of these posts until you had the time to document everything completely....

Posting up a partial story with inflammatory content just whips the forum into a frenzy, and you end up with the kind of mess you've got now. I'm sure in retrospect you probably wish you had just continued working this issuprivately with Weistec...It's obvious now that mistakes were made during the install of this kit, and it sure sounds like there was quite a bit of stubbornness about doing the necessary troubleshooting steps that Weistec asked you to do.... Once the
motor blew everything got emotional and perhaps you were hoping to use MBWorld to beat up on Weistec?

During your struggles with the car, did you ever send datalogs to Weistec? My guess is that you (or your installer) did. Weistec took one look at the AFRs and timing and saw values in those logs that were completely impossible with the tune they provided...

My suggestion is that you start addressing ALL the questions that exist now to stop the speculation. You can't directly post up PMs , but you certainly can paraphrase those discussions and emails if you think that proves your case.

-G
Old 02-09-2013, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
Greg, I'm sure your sentiments come from a good place but there are events of which you're unaware which prompted the posting of my initial thread when it was posted. As indicated in my thread, Weistec withdrew from discussion on the basis of an ill-conceived notion that I was in some way connected with the provocation disguised as Hulk. They also suggested I clear things up "publicly". This, coupled with there choice to articulate on the forum inflammatory information relating to the incident itself, forced my hand. So continuing to "work the issue with Weistec privately" was not an option.

Your comment that once the motor blew "... everything got emotional and perhaps you were hoping to use MBWorld to beat up on Weistec ..." tells me that you can't have read the private message extracts in my op. Unequivocally, they say precisely the opposite.

Your suggestion about paraphrasing emails is noted. Fact is though that since the motor blew, all interaction has been in writing. There's a full documentary record and no good reason for it not to be available here. That way, there's no room for a he said she said scenario and everyone can focus on the common cause facts when trying to contribute.

You must understand that this is not a Weistec witch hunt. I've already said that I don't know what caused the failure. Here's the thing though. Their product is not inexpensive. I'm spending a small fortune on rebuilding the engine. I'm then going to reinstall the Weistec blower onto the rebuild. For peace of mind, I would want to know that the cause of this catastrophe is unlikey to rear it's ugly head on the new motor. Weistec have now dismissed this on the basis that their tune was tampered with. That does not fly. I never asked my tuner to alter the tune (which incidentally Weistec accepts) and the notion that my tuner would, while on a frolic of his own, play around with the tune at my risk and without telling me is ... well how shall I put it ... preposterous. So Weistec have washed their hands of this. I, on the other hand, have no option but to seek out the insights of those on the forum in a bid to identify the true cause of the failure.

Hope that explains my position.

..............ok, is there any one driving around with a Weistec supercharger on an m113K engine making independently documented 570whp and no cel and no issues?

.........for all tuners, the biggest advertisement is a working customer car with zero issues making independently confirmed power you advertised. All those cars you might have in the shop at various stages of completion do not count. So if there are completed cars actually being driven around with no issues, tuners......lets see them and your products will sell like hot cakes!

Ted
Old 02-09-2013, 01:21 PM

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
..............ok, is there any one driving around with a Weistec supercharger on an m113K engine making independently documented 570whp and no cel and no issues?

.........for all tuners, the biggest advertisement is a working customer car with zero issues making independently confirmed power you advertised. All those cars you might have in the shop at various stages of completion do not count. So if there are completed cars actually being driven around with no issues, tuners......lets see them and your products will sell like hot cakes!

Ted
Ted, I can certainly post details of the power we saw before things went pop. I've set aside time tomorrow to do the performance review thread. It's Saturday night here and my Mrs is gonna be on my case shortly if I don't shut this thing down soon.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 4.69 average.

Quick Reply: Official Weistec M113K 3.0L Supercharger, PICTURES INSIDE!!!