Sponsored by:

Passed on an E55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2003, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Porsche 997 C2S
Passed on an E55

Well, all this talk of an E60 (plus the fact that I just closed a deal on a new condo) has convinced me to pass on the E55 I've had an order on for the past year and a half. I talked to my dealer today, and told him to put me back a year, for the first E60 AMG. My salesman knew nothing of the E60, but he agreed to write the contract anyway.

Having said that, since I passed on the car, my dealer's got an incoming E55 on the market. It's an '04 model, obsidian black exterior, charcoal + blue interior, bixenon package, COMAND, CD Changer and Keyless-Go (can't remember if I optioned it with anything else). It's going at MSRP, and if you want it, you should PM me, and I'll give you the salesman information.

Sure does hurt to pass on the E55, but I'm going to get an E500 instead, for the upcoming year. Should help dull the pain a bit.
Old 08-09-2003, 06:56 PM
alz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I doubt the E60 will ever make it to these shores

I won't say that I know a highly placed DC executive, but I would not hold your breath.
Old 08-09-2003, 07:24 PM

Porsche 997 C2S
Re: I doubt the E60 will ever make it to these shores

Originally posted by alz
I won't say that I know a highly placed DC executive, but I would not hold your breath.
Perhaps. But I do know that the current generation of engines were released in '97/'98 and I highly doubt they'll keep producing the E55 engine just for the AMGs. I think it's very likely a new generation of engines will be released soon, and whether it be the e60 or the E63, I think I'd prefer to wait for that.

Anyway, that was just one more factor in waiting. I just closed the deal on a new condo, and quite frankly, while mortgage + E55 payments would be manageable, it's still not a small sum. I'll be in a much better position next year, so I think I'll stick with that. And the E500 I'm getting is nothing to sneeze at either! YMMV.
Old 08-09-2003, 10:39 PM

one of seven
I know nothing ...........

about the inside plans of MB or DC, but am very happily driving my E500 while I await my 04 E55. And, if in 05 there is a larger more powerful engine with a 7 speed tranny, I'll buy one - but not until the 2nd year of production - that's my story and I may stick to it!

Last edited by mbprince; 08-10-2003 at 03:54 PM.
Old 08-09-2003, 11:23 PM

Hey KrispyK, you'll likely have many, many years in the future to get "the next best thing".
It's hard to pass on something you've waited 18 months for, but you'll be just as excited about whatever's next (E60, E63 etc).
Sounds like you made the wisest move for your current circumstances.
Cars like E55's should be purchased/leased from discretionary funds which won't be missed IMO.

Did you ever receive a build date for your '04?
Or were you still in the dark like most of the rest of us waiting for '04's?
Old 08-09-2003, 11:48 PM

Porsche 997 C2S
Originally posted by amg55
Hey KrispyK, you'll likely have many, many years in the future to get "the next best thing".
It's hard to pass on something you've waited 18 months for, but you'll be just as excited about whatever's next (E60, E63 etc).
Sounds like you made the wisest move for your current circumstances.
Cars like E55's should be purchased/leased from discretionary funds which won't be missed IMO.

Did you ever receive a build date for your '04?
Or were you still in the dark like most of the rest of us waiting for '04's?
Thanks for the support. Quite frankly, I was really disappointed and depressed today, but since I started the whole home-buying process, I kept thinking in the back of my head that I'd be carrying a huge debt burden if I got the E55. A small part of me thought "you know, you could just pass on the condo and get the E55!" but with interest rates rising, I thought it best to do what I did. At least I'm consoling myself with getting the E500, and I'm justifying this with waiting for the E60/E63, but it's always good to hear that I'm making a wise move.

All I can think now, though, is couldn't I have picked a less expensive hobby/obsession?!

Edit: Forgot to include this part, but I have the first decade of September as my build date. My dealer said it should arrive early October.
Old 08-10-2003, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Porcelain Bus
Screw the condo, get the car!!!!!!!!
Old 08-10-2003, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
Originally posted by Dr Chill
Screw the condo, get the car!!!!!!!!
hey, i just saw you got your car today, congrats man!!