Cooling question (S/C)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 11:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Cooling question (S/C)

Hey guys,

after i figured out my S/C is cutting off due to heat soak (most likely), i did a little research and found some members here did the engine bay cooling tank for the H/E, some just did the pump, others did the new H/E etc'.

im trying to figure out which setup will deliver best cooling per $ as i think it will be very usfull for other new AMG owners.

does the external cooling tank can work with the OEM H/E?

which of the following combinations will be more efective?

*pump+upgraded H/E

*pump+external tank (on OEM H/E)

if anyone did some logs for those setups it will be great if can share info so we (the new guys for AMG's) can learn.

many thanks!
Old 05-20-2013, 09:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
one car at a time
(1) A larger tank (rear or engine bay) of dedicated water + water wetter will yield better results than the stock system...The quantity of fluid will dictate how long it takes before the water gets really hot...

(2) Replace your pump with the newer Bosch 010 if your pump goes bad

(3) A larger HE is a good thing

(4) A killer chiller or methanol injection are also options

(5) HE + larger / dedicated tank is better than stock < Killer Chiller + large tank ( I would run the HE after the IC prior to the water going back into the tank (not the same routing as the stock setup)

Last edited by cij911; 05-20-2013 at 09:23 AM.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:02 AM

04 E55
a larger H/E and pump did a lot for me as a daily driver. but now im looking at doing a trunk tank for the track as just a H/e and pump are not near efficient enough for multiple hard pulls.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:49 PM

2003 E55 AMG
Many thanks for the useful info!

One important question- I know there's 2 different water pumps, the belt operated for the engine and the electric one for charger.
Do they also share the same cooling radiator or they have separate radiators? (In other words, the H/E is used by both engine and charger?)

Does anyone have the cooling system diagram so I can study it?

I think once its clear to me will be much easier for me to know which path to go.

Again, many thanks for the help, I'm a rooky in this car
Old 05-20-2013, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
one car at a time
The S/C or IC system uses coolant, but it really is isolated...The pump everyone is talking about is the electric Bosch 010 (upgraded from the old design) and the water pump is used for the engine coolant (isolated system). The heat exchanger is used just for cooling the S/C or IC coolant. The advantage of running a larger tank is you have much more fluid, which will keep your IATs lower.

Search for the diagrams, they are on here...
Old 05-20-2013, 01:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
04 E55 AMG
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...agram-wis.html check this thread
Old 05-20-2013, 07:39 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Originally Posted by edan82
Hey guys,

after i figured out my S/C is cutting off due to heat soak (most likely), i did a little research and found some members here did the engine bay cooling tank for the H/E, some just did the pump, others did the new H/E etc'.

im trying to figure out which setup will deliver best cooling per $ as i think it will be very usfull for other new AMG owners.

does the external cooling tank can work with the OEM H/E?

which of the following combinations will be more efective?

*pump+upgraded H/E

*pump+external tank (on OEM H/E)

if anyone did some logs for those setups it will be great if can share info so we (the new guys for AMG's) can learn.

many thanks!
Big Mezzeire WP 136 pump and get the Eurocharged H/E, as I think they are running a special.

Trunk tank will not help you much for daily driving but is great for dyno and track, once ice is added.

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 05-20-2013, 09:08 PM

2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by MAN55LE

Thanks for the diagram, been very helpful, however like the last member that reply that post I also wonder where is the engine radiator at the top pic...