W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

!!! ATTENTION !!!! - FUEL LEAK ISSUE HAS BEEN SETTLED BY DAIMLER-BENZ... 2014.12.23

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Mercedes-Benz e500
I'm so glad I did research on this and found this thread. I bought a 2005 MB e500 a few months back.

Has a strong gas smell inside of it all the time.

I'm taking it to the MB dealer Wednesday and they did pull up the extended warranty on the tank replacement. Hopefully that's the problem.
Old 01-16-2017, 02:53 PM
Banned

Received 116 Likes on 99 Posts
You will be in good hands, after the repair no more gasoline smells inside.
Old 01-26-2017, 05:52 PM

CLS 55
Fuel Tank Replaced

Did I get everything that the extended warranty addressed? Thanks in advance for your input.
Attached Thumbnails !!! ATTENTION !!!!  - FUEL LEAK ISSUE HAS BEEN SETTLED BY DAIMLER-BENZ...  2014.12.23-scanned-xerox-multifunction-device.jpg  
Old 02-13-2017, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts
couple of Benzos
i have no fuel leak at all but I smell Fuel, I first noticed the smell a few weeks ago when I would drive the car for 2-3 hours and it has been pretty hot here in Florida 80, usually I drive the car for half hour or so. So the other day I filled the car up to the max and was driving it for about 2 hours when I got home I smelled fuel and it was coming from the Fuel Cap Area (its a bad stench) i do not have a check engine light on.... well this morning i lifted the rear seat and cushion and have ZERO smells or signs of fuel leakage in that area. Just wondering if anyone else had a similar issue No visible leaks but the smell coming directly from the fuel door/cap area

Thanks
Old 02-13-2017, 10:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Mercedes
Replace the fuel cap and see if that fixes it.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:45 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by AndreNY
i have no fuel leak at all but I smell Fuel, I first noticed the smell a few weeks ago when I would drive the car for 2-3 hours and it has been pretty hot here in Florida 80, usually I drive the car for half hour or so. So the other day I filled the car up to the max and was driving it for about 2 hours when I got home I smelled fuel and it was coming from the Fuel Cap Area (its a bad stench) i do not have a check engine light on.... well this morning i lifted the rear seat and cushion and have ZERO smells or signs of fuel leakage in that area. Just wondering if anyone else had a similar issue No visible leaks but the smell coming directly from the fuel door/cap area

Thanks
I would take it to the dealer and tell them you smell gas periodically.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:46 PM

W211 E63 AMG, 2014 BMW S1000RR
I started smelling gasoline every time I filled up so I started reading through this thread. Thanks to everyone that contributed to it!

Scheduled an online appointment with MB of Tysons Corner. Dropped my car off and my SA was already aware of the issue. Got a new 2017 C300 as a loaner while my car was being worked on. My VMI said 'Fuel Tank' so they replaced everything...fuel tank, senders, pump, etc.

Car was done in 5 days. Had it for a few weeks now and don't have the gasoline smell when I fill up the tank anymore. I have to say though, when I first picked up my car, it had a strong odor. I believe it was the fuel tank itself since it was brand new but the odor has subsided.

Not sure if it's just me but my car doesn't pull as hard as it used to. I can definitely tell it's a tad bit slower when I punch it. Thought it would be faster since I had new fuel components. Has anyone experienced the same?
Old 02-27-2017, 11:51 PM

E55
just had mine fixed today at MB Sugarland. Thanks for the thread. No smell!!!!!!
Old 03-07-2017, 09:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts
couple of Benzos
Originally Posted by 05-E55
I would take it to the dealer and tell them you smell gas periodically.
yea it got worse so dropped it off to the dealer where its currently being replaced (for the second time) under warranty
Old 05-02-2017, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts
05 E55, 98 CLK320
I think mine has had its changed according to the service history... it's 12 years old and 95k miles, I'm the 3rd owner. Do I fall under the umbrella to get this done for free?

I've never been to an MB dealer for service, whats the best cheapest way to get my car in their shop for them to analyze it and check it over?

Should I just get a oil change and say "while it's here can you guys check the tank for a leak?" to see if I qualify to get this done?? That's kinda what I'm planning... I need the oil changed anyway though I can do it myself, but I'd like them to check if there are any qualified recall repairs that need doing etc...
Old 05-02-2017, 11:31 AM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
2012 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by MACEDON
I think mine has had its changed according to the service history... it's 12 years old and 95k miles, I'm the 3rd owner. Do I fall under the umbrella to get this done for free?

I've never been to an MB dealer for service, whats the best cheapest way to get my car in their shop for them to analyze it and check it over?
If they already changed the fuel cell and related parts, then your car is not eligible for another free repair. Stop here if it's already been done.

If the warranty repair has not already been done, then you are eligible to get it IF there is a problem. Are you smelling any gas in the passenger compartment? Are you maybe getting the dreaded red "Check Gas Cap" error repeatedly? If so, call the dealer and schedule a time to drop the car off for inspection. (Schedule a free loaner car for yourself, too.)

If they take out the back seat and see no evidence of leaks, however, they will charge you for the time spent in diagnosis.
The following users liked this post:
MACEDON (05-02-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Mercedes
Read through more of this (long) thread.

Fill up tank to the brim, drive up and down some hills (or drive in corners fast, hah).

Then pull up on rear seat cushion, open both access doors to the fuel tank. Then inspect for fuel leak, or any kind of fuel smell. If no leak and no smell, then you are ok. If not, haul to Mercedes dealer and let them fix it.
The following 2 users liked this post by JoeNobody:
Blade Canyon (05-02-2017), MACEDON (05-02-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 12:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55, 98 CLK320
Originally Posted by JoeNobody
Read through more of this (long) thread.

Fill up tank to the brim, drive up and down some hills (or drive in corners fast, hah).

Then pull up on rear seat cushion, open both access doors to the fuel tank. Then inspect for fuel leak, or any kind of fuel smell. If no leak and no smell, then you are ok. If not, haul to Mercedes dealer and let them fix it.
That makes more sense.

I haven't had that much time together with my car I just got it but it's been chilling at the indy shop for the past week getting some preventative maintenance done... I think it might just be smarter to ask him about it.

My main concern was getting the fuel delivery system straightened out so that I don't deprive the car of fuel so that no further damage arises in the motor. It's stock with no cats at all and I want to get it all serviced, refreshed, and everything, so that when I finally get the chance to REALLY test this car out and drive it daily there are no doubts in my mind.

As it stands, if you want the fuel filter changed you need to get the whole pump assembly changed, and if getting the leak service done would replace any surrounding parts for free then I'd be very very interested.

So far ~$4k down in just preventative maintenance... still nowhere near close to $95k+ this car cost when it was new.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 255 Likes on 233 Posts
2001 E320 Wagon, 2006 LBZ Silverado, 2007 E63 (sold), 2001 E55 (sold)
When the dealer replaced mine they did a new tank and the fuel pump assemblies.
Old 05-02-2017, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55, 98 CLK320
Originally Posted by Strigoi
When the dealer replaced mine they did a new tank and the fuel pump assemblies.
I remember seeing that the fuel tank is replaced in the history when I bought my car but nothing listed about the assemblies. I'm guessing they go hand in hand and it just wasn't listed?
Old 05-05-2017, 05:38 PM

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Took mine into the dealer today with a printed copy of the MB warranty extension letter noted at the beginning of this thread. They are replacing everything (i.e, tank, sender, pumps, etc) no questions asked. I just told them of smelling fuel periodically, even when the car wasn't full of fuel and they didn't give me a hard time or hesitate to get me scheduled with a loaner. This is at MB of Fayetteville, NC.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:44 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
'08 E63 AMG
I drove my recent purchase [2008 E63] from Houston to Dallas over the weekend. Just before the second fill up I get a check engine light. The light came on about an hour after a few hard pulls and high RPMs. I didn't smell gasoline until about a couple of hours later.

When I first got the CEL I plugged the BlueDriver in and got the following codes:

P228F Fuel Pressure Regulator "A" Exceeded Learning Limits - Too High

P2187 System Too Lean at Idle Bank 1 (Frequently Reported Fix: Replaced Crankcase Pressure Valve w/P2189

P2189 System Too Lean at Idle Bank 2 (Frequently Reported Fix: Replaced Crankcase Pressure Valve w/P2187

Car ran just fine, no detected loss of power, but just a faint gasoline smell every now and then. The CEL never appeared again on Saturday, nor today after driving around town for a while, although I did smell gas every now and then.

Should I have a bad feeling about this car? I plan to take it to the dealership tomorrow, but thought I'd ask you guys first. Do you think the parts associated with the recall would cover this? Would replacing the Fuel Pressure Regulator fix all of the above
Old 05-10-2017, 08:06 PM

E55
Exclamation MB Refusing to Pay on Previously Completed Fuel Tank Repairs

I got my letter for my 2005 W211 AMG. I had already replaced the modules, seals, and eventually the tank back in 2010 and participated in the NHTSA. The good news is I had an extended warranty for the $3100 in repairs. I paid $470 out of pocket plus about $2200 for the extended warranty so I asked for $2700 since that is my cost for the repairs covered by the extended warranty. The dealer called me and said that MB was probably going to push back on the $2200 because that would be reimbursing a 3rd parties cost. I said it was not acceptable as I would have requested $3100 but because I had an extended warranty, that limited what my expenses were. The dealers said that if I had other repairs done under the extended warranty (I did) that MB didn't feel like they should be obligated to pay since I already benefited from the warranty, but they may pay if the fuel tank issue prevented me from selling back an unused warranty. I said that was a nice try, but in effect MB is trying to reduce their liability because I made the choice to purchase an extended warranty - which is not accurate. I politely said that it's better for the dealer to refer me to MB so I can deal with them and get this moving forward because I'm not going to accept less than the out of pocket and extended warranty price, even if I have to escalate it or file a suit.

Anyone else deal with this issue? How did you resolve it? Frankly, if you did the repairs yourself, they should pay the full cost of the repair at your closest dealer, which is more equitable based on the nature of the issue. Sure, you may have done it cheaper - but that's not of their concern. Helll, my mom could have paid for the repair as a present.....

I'll post more when I speak with MB tomorrow.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:13 PM
Banned

First got denied because SA was a dumb ***. Then back to my trusted Indy. He repaired parts of it because I wasn't aware of the entire fix at the time. We were reimbursed for the entire out of pocket money within 2 weeks or so. Then checked back here and discovered they should have replaced everything and in the first place. Back to MB, raised hell and got the rest replaced for free. In the end it was once again our job to find out what our rights were, what they should have done and what they didn't do and what they did. We had MBUSA involved too since they gave us the runaround at the dealership.
Old 05-11-2017, 11:33 AM

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Here's mine in case anyone is interested.

The following users liked this post:
Blade Canyon (05-11-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 11:58 PM

E55
Denial of Reimbursement Round 2

So I spoke with Susan at MB today. She was clearly aware I wasn't going to accept that MB gets off the hook because I paid for an extended warranty. She was a little combative and i said that if she was simply going to say no, then do so and let me know who to talk to. She did her best, but I said that while I did get other benefits from the warranty, they were also benefiting since my request was considerably less than their obligation would have been had I not purchased the warranty. I said that this experience underscores my disappointment with MB because having owned an Acura, I know what true customer service was all about - and a generally higher quality product. She also tried to say that MB was doing this of their own free will. I said that's also misleading because I was one of the participants in the NHTSA investigation and having been around the block MB simply chose this path to limit their potential liability.

She gave me her e-mail and phone number but I'm not inclined to waste time and effort on somebody who can't or won't resolve my request. I'm going to send a demand letter to the VP who sent the letter to me and add a few other things to the discussion: 1) I didn't get notified for THREE years after they made the agreement with the NHTSA which isn't timely; 2) the lag could be construed as deliberate to help shield their liability; 3) I want interest for the three years, and 4) if they aren't willing to settle with me I intend to file a suit in small claims court where we can see what the judge says.
Old 06-12-2017, 01:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55 AMG
Sorry if this has already been covered, but are you guys getting any hassle getting them replaced on a modded vehicle? I'm getting ready to do pulley, headers, cooling and don't want to run into troubles when the time comes. I don't have any smells/leaks yet but I thought I might go ahead and try to get it done anyway. Or should I consider myself lucky and wait for it to show up?
Old 06-12-2017, 01:08 PM
Banned

Our E55 is modded and no issues.
Old 07-02-2017, 05:19 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
'04 E55 AMG
I just had this done due to intense fuel smell after fillup. Whoever had the car before me had the resonator removed and cut the flanges off. Dealer charged my $170 to drop the exhaust at the header. I was a little annoyed with the charge but at least it's fixed. Loaner was provided free for a couple of days during service.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,011 Likes on 817 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
http://www.autobeatdaily.com/blog/po...assive-recalls

I wonder if there will be an official recall now? Aren't they just replacing with the same defective parts?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: !!! ATTENTION !!!! - FUEL LEAK ISSUE HAS BEEN SETTLED BY DAIMLER-BENZ... 2014.12.23