W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How did you chose what tune to go with?

Old 11-28-2016, 12:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
www.renuauto.com/forsale lists all of my cars
How did you chose what tune to go with?

Searched and couldn't find a good resource (please link if I missed it), but I'm wondering what is the difference between all the tunes you can get for a 55 motor (EuroCharge, FabTech, OE, ect).

I have a 55AMG (cls) that I want to do some light tuning on (Long tubes, pulley, tune, cooling), but I can't seem to find what others experience has been with each of the available tuner options out there. I'm mostly concerned with reliability and driveability, and not peak hp/tq numbers.

Also, what is the difference between doing a s/c pulley vs. a crank pulley?

What set of mods would you guys recommend to achieve the goal of "modest" power bump with priority being long term reliability and good driveability?

Looking forward to your insight!

Thanks,
Grant
Old 11-28-2016, 12:56 PM

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
2006 E55
Originally Posted by GrantRR
Searched and couldn't find a good resource (please link if I missed it), but I'm wondering what is the difference between all the tunes you can get for a 55 motor (EuroCharge, FabTech, OE, ect).

I have a 55AMG (cls) that I want to do some light tuning on (Long tubes, pulley, tune, cooling), but I can't seem to find what others experience has been with each of the available tuner options out there. I'm mostly concerned with reliability and driveability, and not peak hp/tq numbers.

What set of mods would you guys recommend to achieve the goal of "modest" power bump with priority being long term reliability and good driveability?

Thanks,
Grant
grant,
hey there...my guess is folks will want to know the following before making suggestions...
what are your goals?
where do you live (hot climate, 4-seasons,etc)
how long do you plan to own the car?
budget?
is this a daily driver or 2nd car?
ever hear of "mod fever"?

Last edited by BlackHammer; 11-28-2016 at 12:58 PM.
Old 11-28-2016, 01:16 PM

grant,
hey there...my guess is folks will want to know the following before making suggestions...
what are your goals?

Reliable power with no adverse affects on driveability. I'm totally ok with giving up crazy peak hp/tq numbers in the interest of keeping stock-like drivability

I live in St. George, UT which is basically Las Vegas climate (hot hot hot)

A year or two.

budget?

2-3 grand? *shrugh*

2nd car, weekends mostly

Is that where you get one thing, and then fall down into a rabbit hole of buying ever mod that you can?

I use the car for road rallies a lot too. Long distance, hard driving, so again, I'm willing to just keep it stock if there's concern that even a base tune/pulley could create problems down the road. I'm going back to stock wheels and tires because the low profiles have already given me so much headache.

The following users liked this post:
FunkTron (11-28-2016)
Old 11-28-2016, 09:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
following as I too am interested in what people have to say.
Old 11-28-2016, 11:02 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
04 55
my .02 would be larger heat exhanger, mid length headers for better lower end torque as opposed to long tubes which would be better for drag racing/high rpms, tuner of choice and then add 2.82 rear end gears... pulleys will only cause you head aches
Old 11-29-2016, 08:51 AM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 148 Likes on 108 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo

Thanks,
Grant
Speaking for Eurocharged: We are probably the only tuner that offers a motor protection warranty. If our software causes issues, we make it right. We also have locations around the world and are known for our customer service. If we don't have an immediate answer, someone on our global team will!

For your cls. Most people will do a tune, supercharger pulley, and then heat exchanger and pump. Simple proven and safe power without the headaches. We offer our tune with our Euroflash software that allows you to flash the car from the comfort of your home, so no need to ship the ecu. We have tuned thousands of the 55's and know them extremely well.

If you have any questions let us know!

Old 11-30-2016, 10:10 AM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
2005 c230
I have the Eurocharged tune, and have had no issues. Their service was great. I havent done any dyno test, but it "feels" like about a 10% improvement over prior to stock.

Im kinda now interested in the next steps. (pulley/heat exchanger/pump).

Whats cost to add those...and are there any drawbacks at all..whatsoever, in driveability? Total cost? Expected HP/Torque gains?

I dont track or race the car, just street. And dont REALLY need it.

But power..is addictive.

Last edited by lseguy; 11-30-2016 at 11:12 AM.
Old 11-30-2016, 10:30 AM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
2005 c230
will I need a Johnson pump?
*snicker*
Old 11-30-2016, 10:52 AM

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
2006 E55
grant,
what are your goals?

Reliable power with no adverse affects on driveability. I'm totally ok with giving up crazy peak hp/tq numbers in the interest of keeping stock-like drivability

I live in St. George, UT which is basically Las Vegas climate (hot hot hot)

A year or two.

budget?

2-3 grand? *shrugh*

2nd car, weekends mostly

Is that where you get one thing, and then fall down into a rabbit hole of buying ever mod that you can?

I use the car for road rallies a lot too. Long distance, hard driving, so again, I'm willing to just keep it stock if there's concern that even a base tune/pulley could create problems down the road. I'm going back to stock wheels and tires because the low profiles have already given me so much headache.
Grant,
Thanks for the write up on your situation. LOL at the reply on "mod fever"...
There are folks on the forum with more of "road course" type experience more applicable to hard "road rallies", etc. that will be able to speak better to the topic. Like I PM'ed, heat is a huge factor so cooling is key and bigger pulley's don't always = faster car.

Here are a few "road course" type threads that might be helpful (some of the posters have mods in signature). PM these guys and see if they surface OR start a new thread more specific like "Modding and Tuning for Road Rallies or Road Course" to see if you get more hits:

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ad-course.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...-feedback.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ified-e55.html

Like everyone will tell you cooling is key!

Good luck.

TK
Old 11-30-2016, 08:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG E55, Stage 1, Strait Pipe from Primary Cats
OE Tuning HB, CA
Old 12-01-2016, 12:32 PM

Yep I definitely won't be taking this on any road courses or track days. I'd feel like trying to steer the Mayflower through an autocross with this giant german sled on a track day.

The Road Rally's are just long distance city-to-city ..."sprints" if you will. So sustained high speed driving. I think I'm going to start with a bunch of cooling mods and then go from there.

It's hard to understand all the differences between s/c pulley vs. crank pulley, at what point does one need fueling mods, ect ect
Old 12-01-2016, 03:33 PM
SPONSOR

Yep I definitely won't be taking this on any road courses or track days. I'd feel like trying to steer the Mayflower through an autocross with this giant german sled on a track day.

The Road Rally's are just long distance city-to-city ..."sprints" if you will. So sustained high speed driving. I think I'm going to start with a bunch of cooling mods and then go from there.

It's hard to understand all the differences between s/c pulley vs. crank pulley, at what point does one need fueling mods, ect ect
lol!

We do a ton of the rallies as well. Longevity and reliability are a must!

You will be perfectly fine with stage 1 or 2. I was daily driving a stage 4 car and put over 100k on it with no major issues. (and beat the living crap out of her)
Old 12-01-2016, 03:50 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
SL55 2003
Originally Posted by loungn14
Speaking for Eurocharged: We are probably the only tuner that offers a motor protection warranty. If our software causes issues, we make it right. We also have locations around the world and are known for our customer service. If we don't have an immediate answer, someone on our global team will!

For your cls. Most people will do a tune, supercharger pulley, and then heat exchanger and pump. Simple proven and safe power without the headaches. We offer our tune with our Euroflash software that allows you to flash the car from the comfort of your home, so no need to ship the ecu. We have tuned thousands of the 55's and know them extremely well.

If you have any questions let us know!

Even for overseas/international customers ?
Old 12-01-2016, 04:02 PM
SPONSOR

Originally Posted by mAMG
Even for overseas/international customers ?
we have multiple locations throughout the world and tune overseas on a daily basis
Old 03-24-2017, 10:24 AM

2005 E55 AMG White
I missed it where if anyone answered the question about doing a crank pulley vs supercharger pulley. I'm also interested in what everyone has to say about that topic. Pros and cons of doing one vs the other. And differences in power gain returns and reliability? I would love to see a healthy discussion on this.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
Originally Posted by WannaBeeAMG
I missed it where if anyone answered the question about doing a crank pulley vs supercharger pulley. I'm also interested in what everyone has to say about that topic. Pros and cons of doing one vs the other. And differences in power gain returns and reliability? I would love to see a healthy discussion on this.
Have you searched for that? It seems like a topic that would have already been discussed in this forum. If not, start a new topic to discuss it instead of burying the discussion under a non-related thread.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:50 PM

2005 E55 AMG White

Thanks,
Grant
Originally Posted by HeissRod
Have you searched for that? It seems like a topic that would have already been discussed in this forum. If not, start a new topic to discuss it instead of burying the discussion under a non-related thread.
The OP clearly asked "Also, what is the difference between doing a s/c pulley vs. a crank pulley? " I was trying to follow up on it since that part of his original post was not addressed by anyones answer and I thought it would merit a comment or two on this thread since it was brought up by him.

Yes I have searched for it. I have read up on it a bit and have found some conflicting viewpoints. I'm intrigued by his thread because I'm in a similar boat as him as far as being in the fact gathering stages before I decide which upgrade path to choose. I was hoping for a fresh discussion on it, hoping a few would comment that have wisdom to share, but perhaps you are right and I should read more and/or start my own thread. Didn't mean to stomp on anyones heels here.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:51 PM

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
2006 E55, 2006 SL55, 2006 LS7 Ute
Jerry, my SL55 stage 3 tune, despite your prompt replies etc. is still far from satisfactory. I still have shifting hiccups in low load situations. Keeping the throttle fixed, whether I shift in manual or auto, the shift occurs then there is a delay and jerk before the throttle comes back on. This is especially bad when cold. My E55 after a simple pulley only tune goes great except for the same issue albeit but not nearly as severe. The SL55 has had the trans tune, the E55 trans has not. I also often have a stumble with just a light throttle input in lower gears. Only the SL55 has a bigger TB.

I forgot also, in my full throttle runs in the SL55 from 60-100mph, the 2-3 shift seems to shift then again a delay before the acceleration picks up again. I'll bet I lose most of a second waiting for GO again. If I shift manually I have to hit the shifter right at 6000 to have it shift before the limiter cuts in at 6700. My E55 has the same delay on that 2-3 shift. I can't say anything about the 3-4 shift as I have no roads to go that fast full throttle.

I apologise for raising this publicly but I am no longer happy.

Last edited by trabots; 03-27-2017 at 08:02 PM. Reason: forgot some things
Old 03-28-2017, 07:05 PM

Received 120 Likes on 96 Posts
2004 E55
Originally Posted by WannaBeeAMG
Crank Pulley vs SC pulley
2 methods to skin the same cat = over driving the super charger

Crank pulley

pro: it doesnt shatter and take out parts of your motor with a spinning weed whacker

con: it falls off and takes out parts of your motor if not installed correctly

SC Pulley

pro: It doesnt fall off and take out parts of your motor

con: it breaks apart and becomes a weed whacker of death to parts of your motor

When you make more power, you break more parts...period

Supercharger pulley's are easier to change/upgrade; the stock crank pulley will fall apart in time and separate from the barrel of the harmonic balancer... I opted for an upgraded CP as I felt it was the lesser of the two demons and my CP wobbled off

Choose your poison carefully...