Sponsored by:

weird trans problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 10:21 AM

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts
2003 Mercedes E55 AMG
weird trans problem

ok guys wanted to get some recommendations from you that may have experienced it and what fixed it.

Car has just over 100k on it 2003 e55 amg

It got a new MB remanned transmission and torque converter less than 20k ago by previous owner at MB dealership in vegas I called and verified it was done. Also has a newer Nissens radiator in it as well so not radiator related

I changed the fluid and filter using 134 fluid just a few 100 miles ago didnt need it but since im a new owner an tech I like to make sure my cars are tip top shape. I also installed a new adapter plug .... cleaned the cable with electrical cleaner and installed a new eurocharged TCU and cleaned the harness up top. There was a lil fluid that had wicked its way up probably from previous trans as the adapter had almost nothing on itcouple drops on bottom. The TCU is new cus the old one got lots of fluid in iut and didnt work properly. I have zero codes in the trans or the engine have a dipstick to check fluid level and at 80 degrees im just a hair under the top line of the high fill point.

Now the problem the car runs great holds all the power to redline like a champ but my problem comes sporadically when coming off a stop lightly. It will sometime do an almost double shift going into 2nd. Other times it goes in perfectly with zero issue. I notice some extra shifting jerks here and there almost like the torque converter locking up but dont quite know been a manual man for a time and just switched to this E55 being it was a great deal on a dream car ive wanted for some time.

I have thought maybe the conductor plate but just dont see it being that as its so sporadic figure if it was bad it would be all the time. TCU is new so cant be that as it did it with the old one as well. Adaptor is clean and the wiring harness and plugs were cleaned with electrical cleaner. When I dropped the pan few 100 miles ago to change fluid and filter all seemed good no shavings or looks of any wear what so ever

love to hear some thoughts

Last edited by E55amg0220; 03-30-2017 at 10:29 AM.
Old 03-30-2017, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 383 Likes on 326 Posts
2005 e55 AMG
mine will do the same thing. it's the converter locking up right after the 1-2 shift. I narrowed it down by disconnecting the tcc sol. and it goes away. Some cars do it ,some cars do not. I think YOU will adapt to it since its not that big a deal when it happens.
Don't forget the supercharger clutch kicking on as well...that makes for some interesting "jerky" ness when driving for sure when shifting,locking up and clutch engaging!!
The following users liked this post:
E55amg0220 (03-30-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 10:42 AM

2003 Mercedes E55 AMG
yeah i was wondering if it may be normal not a huge deal just a small nuisance
Old 03-30-2017, 06:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 Mercedes Benz E55 AMG
Glad its not just me... My new (to me) 2006 does the same thing. Sometimes its smooth and uneventful, other times it bucks a little like I was driving a stick for the first time. One thing I've figured out is that babying the throttle when in/around town it usually behaves, or getting on it pretty good, no issues... anything in between that and who knows what its gonna do. Comfort mode its less noticeable, in Sport mode I'm always anticipating the buck. This trans is the most "manual" like I've ever driven. It acts very much like a 5-speed, just without the clutch. For some situations that's a good thing, just putt-putting around town can be a challenge though.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:35 PM

2003 Mercedes E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Onespeed55
Glad its not just me... My new (to me) 2006 does the same thing. Sometimes its smooth and uneventful, other times it bucks a little like I was driving a stick for the first time. One thing I've figured out is that babying the throttle when in/around town it usually behaves, or getting on it pretty good, no issues... anything in between that and who knows what its gonna do. Comfort mode its less noticeable, in Sport mode I'm always anticipating the buck. This trans is the most "manual" like I've ever driven. It acts very much like a 5-speed, just without the clutch. For some situations that's a good thing, just putt-putting around town can be a challenge though.
Yeah you nailed it Im in total agreement with ya its definitely a manual feeling trans but ill take it being as strong as it is. But yeah babying it it behaves .... get on it hard or pretty hard behaves .... but inbetween its finicky lol. Glad Im not the only one either haha. I hate comfort mode i loooooove sport mode like starting off in 1st much better

Not to mention im always wanting to play so if i have to deal with a lil jerkiness here and there im ok with it I was just making sure my car was in good condition and nothing was wrong.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:07 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
2006 E55, 2006 SL55, 2006 LS7 Ute
Both my E55 and SL55 with EC tunes do the same. Only the SL55 has had the TCU 'tuned' by EC. I thought it was the bigger TB but the E55 has the stock TB.
Old 04-01-2017, 10:30 PM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
2017 GLS 550
If you get the jerking at part throttle between 1500 and 2500 rpm. I would suggest first replacing tcc lockup solenoid. That fixed mine. I troubleshoot with Dad by turning off lockup and it was smooth
Old 04-01-2017, 11:57 PM

2003 Mercedes E55 AMG
May have to look into this, i have a brand new mb remaned trans, new tcu , as well as a new torque converter. But u nvr know .... it does have 10k on it but yes thats the place it has the slight jerk an its sporadic not all the time sometimes cold n sometimes hot.