Sponsored by:

Finished conductor plate install and now won't move

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 07:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 E55 AMG White
Finished conductor plate install and now won't move

Installed new conductor plate and connector and changed tranny fluid and filter with pentosin. After finishing it all, started car and shifted to reverse. Won't engage the gear. Won't go into drive either. It does nothing. That metal pin shaft is correctly inside that plastic piece and the fluid is at the correct level. We checked, double checked, and triple checked. That super long dipstick is almost useless, why'd they design it that way? We reinstalled the old but still functioning conductor plate and connector and it was the same. Not moving at all! It is throwing no codes and it'll connect to verus just fine and does the solenoid check fine which tells me it's communicating properly and not a connection issue. I also have DAS Xentry, it throws no codes for tranny whatsoever. Stumped. Already invested sooo much time and there's no solution in sight as of yet. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks all for any input.

Car is 2005 E55 AMG
Old 08-10-2017, 07:49 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 280 Likes on 231 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
I have done this job, not fun. Sorry if this is a stupid suggestion, I know you said it is definitely seated correctly, but have you seen the gear selector rod actually moving from under the car when the shifter is moved into gear?

Did you do a full fluid change or just dump what you needed for the conductor plate?
Old 08-10-2017, 09:20 PM

Received 70 Likes on 54 Posts
W210 DRFT BNZ
Originally Posted by WannaBeeAMG
Installed new conductor plate and connector and changed tranny fluid and filter with pentosin. After finishing it all, started car and shifted to reverse. Won't engage the gear. Won't go into drive either. It does nothing. That metal pin shaft is correctly inside that plastic piece and the fluid is at the correct level. We checked, double checked, and triple checked. That super long dipstick is almost useless, why'd they design it that way? We reinstalled the old but still functioning conductor plate and connector and it was the same. Not moving at all! It is throwing no codes and it'll connect to verus just fine and does the solenoid check fine which tells me it's communicating properly and not a connection issue. I also have DAS Xentry, it throws no codes for tranny whatsoever. Stumped. Already invested sooo much time and there's no solution in sight as of yet. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks all for any input.

Car is 2005 E55 AMG
Just hit the same problem last night, but mine turned out to be, shall we say, low on ATF.

The only clue I've found online for you is here: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w203...ml#post3793337

Last edited by jumph4x; 08-11-2017 at 03:50 AM.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:50 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts
93' 500E, 95' Corolla

Car is 2005 E55 AMG
Post a pic of the fluid you used please

Thanks

Dave
Old 08-11-2017, 09:58 AM

2005 E55 AMG White
Originally Posted by DavesMeanE's
Post a pic of the fluid you used please

Thanks

Dave
I used this

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/mer...osin-722-6fck2
Old 08-11-2017, 12:50 PM

Received 120 Likes on 96 Posts
2004 E55

Car is 2005 E55 AMG

It can be easy to miss the groove on the plastic guide on the manual valve and get on one side or another. If gear position moves on dash, jack car up make sure its stable on 4 jack stands or lift. Then loosen the clip on the shift linkage lever on the side of the trans. Have someone put it in D right as you put it in D, Does it go?

Same for R make sure your timing is close on the shifts, unsure if there is any C-Can feedback on shifter lever compared to manual actuation by hand.

You will be able to feel with your hand better about whats going on. If its soft one way to go into D then you are prolly off and it just is sliding past without moving the valve would be my guess... Honestly without re-inspecting or seeing fluid level its hard to diagnose things like this.

Last edited by BoostedAero; 08-11-2017 at 02:55 PM.
Old 08-11-2017, 01:22 PM

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
1956 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday, 2006 AMG S55, 2016 Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE
Originally Posted by BoostedAero
It can be easy to miss the groove on the plastic guide on the manual valve and get on one side or another. If gear position moves on dash, jack car up make sure its stable on 4 jack stands or lift. Then loosen the clip on the shift linkage lever on the side of the trans. Have someone put it in D right as you put it in D, Does it go?

Same for R make sure your timing is close on the shifts, unsure if there is any C-Can feedback on shifter lever compared to manual actuation by hand.

You will be able to feel with your hand better about whats going on. If its soft one way to go into D then you are prolly off and it just is sliding past without moving the valve would be my guess... Honestly without re-inspecting or seeing fluid level its hard to diagnose things like this.

Is the shift to R smooth or is there a harsh garage shift (clunk)?
There is a spot on star that shows when the shifter is put in gear vs when the trans actually goes into gear.
Old 08-11-2017, 02:00 PM

2005 E55 AMG White
Originally Posted by BoostedAero

Is the shift to R smooth or is there a harsh garage shift (clunk)?
The gear shifter shifted super smooth and felt totally normal like it always has. Moving the lever thru the gears produces no fluctuation in rpm and makes no noise at all, but if you look at it on the lift with the tranny pan off while someone in the car moves the shifter back and forth, you can see the pin move the plastic body and it moves thru the gear selector notches perfectly when the lever is moved in the car. So frustrated in troubleshooting this
Old 08-11-2017, 02:38 PM

2004 E55
The gear shifter shifted super smooth and felt totally normal like it always has. Moving the lever thru the gears produces no fluctuation in rpm and makes no noise at all, but if you look at it on the lift with the tranny pan off while someone in the car moves the shifter back and forth, you can see the pin move the plastic body and it moves thru the gear selector notches perfectly when the lever is moved in the car. So frustrated in troubleshooting this
That sounds like it is a pressure issue. It is manually actuating the fluid flow with the shift valve. I am thinking you have a blockage in your valve body. You can take it off before you fill it back up. Split VB in half careful of your checkball valves. Clean it all out and manually actuate each valve to verify they move....

Just put " 722.6 .pdf " in google and get a copy of the manual it will show you exactly where they all go and give more intel than you could ever desire

Man, this is a dooozy

Last edited by BoostedAero; 08-11-2017 at 02:53 PM.
Old 08-11-2017, 03:11 PM
SPONSOR

Received 797 Likes on 570 Posts
2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
did you have your new conductor plate married to the TCU? when i had mine installed my indy said he had to bring a guy in to program and sync the TCU with the conductor plate or the car wouldn't move. I have a E63 though.

​​​Follow us on instagram @eightysixtuned
https://www.eightysixtuned.com
Old 08-11-2017, 04:16 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 280 Likes on 231 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Originally Posted by hachiroku
did you have your new conductor plate married to the TCU? when i had mine installed my indy said he had to bring a guy in to program and sync the TCU with the conductor plate or the car wouldn't move. I have a E63 though.
Luckily for half of us, that is an E63 issue since the TCU is inside the trans. E55 doesn't have the same problem, its just a pile of plastic with a few sensors and electrical conducting paths.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:45 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
BMW E31 Dinan Stage 3 TT 625Hp on 93 pump............. 00 BMW E38 750iL.....03 S55 Alabaster white
You sure the filter is seated correctly and has suction? Might not be pulling fluid.....
Old 08-12-2017, 07:39 PM

Received 70 Likes on 54 Posts
W210 DRFT BNZ
Originally Posted by pumpedTSI
You sure the filter is seated correctly and has suction? Might not be pulling fluid.....
Definitely sounds like a hydraulic supply issue, based on the OPs claims that linkage is 100%.
Old 09-30-2017, 03:37 AM

2005 E55 AMG White
Forgot to update this thread so here goes.

Whoever owned the car before me decided to put the red dipstick cap on the engine oil tube. The notes on how to fill tranny fluid stated the red cap tube is where the fluid goes and so the issue was all the *** tranny fluid was poured into the gosh darn crank case. Super upset with my Indy about that but what can I do? It's done, the mistake was made and caused me a lot of stress, but it's over now. The actual owner of the shop finally got involved and figured out that the tranny dipstick tube is out of sight on the back of the engine bay. So, he changed out the oil and filter on his own dime because of the mistake and filled the correct dipstick tube with fresh pentosin that he payed for as well.

So let me ask you guys,... how much did they hurt my motor by running it in the garage with wayyy too much oil in the crankcase and none in the transmission. It was only started and ran a few times to try and shift it out of gear, which of course it wouldn't do, but should I be worried about any long term damage here? This whole thing broke my heart as I'm trying to do everything right on this car .. please leave some comments as to wether or not I should be freaked out or not over this error of gross negligence.
Old 09-30-2017, 07:25 AM
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
at the beginning of this thread you stated that you checked,double checked and thripplechecked the fluid level and it was ok,as you filled the transfluid in the engine there must have been oil up to the cylinderheads!! there and you did not see that on the dipstick?
amazing....
Old 09-30-2017, 07:48 AM

2005 E55 AMG White
Originally Posted by duccen
at the beginning of this thread you stated that you checked,double checked and thripplechecked the fluid level and it was ok,as you filled the transfluid in the engine there must have been oil up to the cylinderheads!! there and you did not see that on the dipstick?
amazing....
I was purely relaying the information that my mechanic gave me as we were trying to search for a solution. I asked the same question when he was telling me that the dipstick must not have been the correct one as it was way up on the shaft but he was certain he put in the correct amount. If you are going to post a reply just to be a smartbutt, why even bother trolling my thread? I'm looking for constructive analysis of the issue... I'm Not interested in having a jerk like you waste my time and yours by posting just to nudge in an insult.

Now please, if someone (with appropriate candor and class) can offer some wisdom as to my last question about how worried I should be about the effects of this mistake, please do so.
Old 09-30-2017, 08:59 AM

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
04 e55
I would not worry to much about it - double check the oil level and run it around without over revving for a couple of days and then change the oil and filter again you should be good to go.... I would look for another indy though

Last edited by hayseed; 09-30-2017 at 10:25 AM.
Old 09-30-2017, 09:16 AM

Received 82 Likes on 76 Posts
E63 AMG 2007
I don't feel duccen was trolling your thread, being a jerk, insulting, or classless. Amazing, is charitable when describing what your "tech" did IMO. I appreciate the followup post explaining the solution, that is always helpful. I would recommend a short interval on your next oil change. Perhaps send out an oil sample now and start a history of what's actually going on inside the engine, with a follow up sample when you do your next oil change, and so on with every oil change. I'd be less concerned about the transmission, if it was truly only briefly run.
Old 09-30-2017, 01:42 PM

2004 E55
+1 on no stress
+1 on short oil change interval (500 miles?)

May be a good time to justify a crank case/oil flush

Heard Good things about liquid moly products...

Hell, a can of Seafoam could dumped in right before your next oil change would give me peace of mind.

Happy you got to the bottom of it!
Old 10-02-2017, 09:23 AM

2005 E55 AMG White
Originally Posted by Dublinoh
I don't feel duccen was trolling your thread, being a jerk, insulting, or classless. Amazing, is charitable when describing what your "tech" did IMO. I appreciate the followup post explaining the solution, that is always helpful. I would recommend a short interval on your next oil change. Perhaps send out an oil sample now and start a history of what's actually going on inside the engine, with a follow up sample when you do your next oil change, and so on with every oil change. I'd be less concerned about the transmission, if it was truly only briefly run.
Thanks for the reply. Perhaps I jumped to conclusions and took offense a bit soon, but I just felt his comment was in poor taste and a slam.. Maybe I'm wrong. I argued with the tech many times before I posted this thread to start with and I'm now blown away that he argued several times that He was certain he put hte right amount in and that it was correct. I wlll certainly do the oil change sooner than later. Where would I send an oil sample to?
Old 10-02-2017, 09:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 338 Likes on 290 Posts
2005 e55 AMG
Trust me i have been down this road and it is a very easy mistake to make. when it says RED cap and you see a red cap and follow the tube somewhat it looks like it goes to the trans. Any how change your oil NOW. not 100-500 miles....now !! It's cheap and piece of mind.
Old 10-02-2017, 10:58 AM

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
2006 CLS55
Thanks for the reply. Perhaps I jumped to conclusions and took offense a bit soon, but I just felt his comment was in poor taste and a slam.. Maybe I'm wrong. I argued with the tech many times before I posted this thread to start with and I'm now blown away that he argued several times that He was certain he put hte right amount in and that it was correct. I wlll certainly do the oil change sooner than later. Where would I send an oil sample to?
https://www.blackstone-labs.com/free-test-kits.php

Old 10-02-2017, 07:29 PM

Received 82 Likes on 76 Posts
E63 AMG 2007
Blackstone Labs is often mentioned, cost something like $30. Google and then ask for a free collection kit. I would have been going crazy with this, so I understand where you were coming from.