W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Secondary Heat Exchanger

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2023 | 09:26 PM

C43
Secondary Heat Exchanger

Hello all, I finally got my hand on my dream car, 2005 W211 AMG in white with black interior. So the car has Distronic and I wanted to add a secondary heat exchanger, all the company that offers it say for car without Distronic, my question is…is it because of clearance issues? Can the Distronic bracket be modified to fit? If not what other options do I have? Thanks
Old 07-13-2023 | 02:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mgLipGD
No issues as the distronic puck is located behind the grill below the hood latch. Now if you are getting one that needs that space then it’s a no go.

I recommend a killer chiller mounted behind there feeding a trunk tank. Then for the top end meth injection. But then I’m biased as that’s my setup.

I love my white/pano/merlot E. Enjoy yours!!

Old 07-13-2023 | 06:47 AM

C43
Ok thanks for the info, I had a feeling it had something to do with limited space based on me not seeing anyone having both Distronic and front heat exchanger. I would look into the killer chille as I not familiar with it. I’m glad I didn’t buy the secondary exchanger , because it was on sale, and I was about to pull the trigger. Oh…and your car is beautiful!! Thanks
Old 07-13-2023 | 08:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 CLS55 AMG, 2005 SLK 350 AMG
Originally Posted by Griley
Hello all, I finally got my hand on my dream car, 2005 W211 AMG in white with black interior. So the car has Distronic and I wanted to add a secondary heat exchanger, all the company that offers it say for car without Distronic, my question is…is it because of clearance issues? Can the Distronic bracket be modified to fit? If not what other options do I have? Thanks
The issue I think you are hearing about distronic is that some of the secondary H/E replaces the bracket that is part of the hood latching and mounting of the distronic. In addition to the Killer Chiller approach, there are ways and options for adding additional H/E capacity in the front of the car. You can replace the stock H/E with a larger capacity unit. Add an additioanl 'plate' style H/E in front of the A/C condenser without changing the distronic bracket and also add an additional H/E in front of the front wheel wells under the headlights. A thorough search of the site will give you lots of ideas as to your options. Here is my write up of increasing the H/E capacity: https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...des-cls55.html
Old 07-13-2023 | 08:37 AM

C43
Originally Posted by machild
The issue I think you are hearing about distronic is that some of the secondary H/E replaces the bracket that is part of the hood latching and mounting of the distronic. In addition to the Killer Chiller approach, there are ways and options for adding additional H/E capacity in the front of the car. You can replace the stock H/E with a larger capacity unit. Add an additioanl 'plate' style H/E in front of the A/C condenser without changing the distronic bracket and also add an additional H/E in front of the front wheel wells under the headlights. A thorough search of the site will give you lots of ideas as to your options. Here is my write up of increasing the H/E capacity: https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...des-cls55.html
I will look into this option also, I looked into the killer chiller and I’m not crazy about having to cut into the factory AC lines. Plus it’s a much more expensive option. Have to play with a couple of different options
Old 07-13-2023 | 08:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 CLS55 AMG W219 C219
All depends on your (power) plans with the car if you ask me.
Old 07-13-2023 | 09:31 AM

C43
Originally Posted by nd-photo.nl
All depends on your (power) plans with the car if you ask me.

To be honest …not looking for too much. So far I have ordered the lower heat exchanger to replace the factory unit, other than that headers, next step down size pulley and a Race IQ engine and transmission tune. I might attempt to replicate the Distronic bracket to see if I can solve the clearance issue. I enjoy problem solving, just don’t know if it’s worth the hassle. The plan’s was to do the H/E with the under the hood tank
Old 07-13-2023 | 09:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 CLS55 AMG W219 C219
Ah sounds similar with my plans. I just replaced the lower heat exchanger with a slightly bigger one. Also make sure you have the Bosch 010 pump or use the better Pierburg pump (you also need the electrical plug and rewire it).

My plans:
- Shorty headers (I have yearly MOT which require catalysts)
- 88mm pulley (max 84mm)
- 80mm throttle body
- Tune

For the rest keep it well maintained. I created a video when mounting the new intercooler, should be very similar with E55. Also look at my build thread, as I like to document everything haha. As you might know, the CLS55 is very similar with the E55 > https://mbworld.org/forums/c219/8443...ld-thread.html

Last edited by nd-photo.nl; 07-13-2023 at 10:01 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Fountain35 (07-15-2023)
Old 07-13-2023 | 10:10 AM

C43
Ah sounds similar with my plans. I just replaced the lower heat exchanger with a slightly bigger one. Also make sure you have the Bosch 010 pump or use the better Pierburg pump (you also need the electrical plug and rewire it).

My plans:
- Shorty headers (I have yearly MOT which require catalysts)
- 88mm pulley (max 84mm)
- 80mm throttle body
- Tune

For the rest keep it well maintained. I created a video when mounting the new intercooler, should be very similar with E55. Also look at my build thread, as I like to document everything haha. As you might know, the CLS55 is very similar with the E55 > https://mbworld.org/forums/c219/8443...ld-thread.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty7o0tcB0uA
I purchased the PLM XL H/E (it was on sale) It’s it coming with a Johnson Pump CM30 with wire harness, I’m hoping the pump is a good one. I’m doing the long tube headers and I’m going to have them weld on some high flow cats. I have MOT also and I’ve noticed recently that if the car look modified they put a mirror underneath to see if the cats are present.
Old 07-13-2023 | 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 CLS55 AMG, 2005 SLK 350 AMG
To be honest …not looking for too much. So far I have ordered the lower heat exchanger to replace the factory unit, other than that headers, next step down size pulley and a Race IQ engine and transmission tune. I might attempt to replicate the Distronic bracket to see if I can solve the clearance issue. I enjoy problem solving, just don’t know if it’s worth the hassle. The plan’s was to do the H/E with the under the hood tank
May I suggest instead of the Race IQ trans tune you look into to https://mkultraelectronics.com/ The developer of the tune is a member here under @zerocat101 and you can find lots of raving comments about the tune and the support provided.
Old 07-13-2023 | 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 CLS55 AMG W219 C219
I purchased the PLM XL H/E (it was on sale) It’s it coming with a Johnson Pump CM30 with wire harness, I’m hoping the pump is a good one. I’m doing the long tube headers and I’m going to have them weld on some high flow cats. I have MOT also and I’ve noticed recently that if the car look modified they put a mirror underneath to see if the cats are present.
In the Netherlands, for 2005 and older, they analyze your exhaust gases for NOx, which needs to be under a certain threshold
Old 07-13-2023 | 11:18 AM

C43
Originally Posted by machild
May I suggest instead of the Race IQ trans tune you look into to https://mkultraelectronics.com/ The developer of the tune is a member here under @zerocat101 and you can find lots of raving comments about the tune and the support provided.
I will most definitely take a look at it. Thanks for the tip.
nd-photo.nl (07-13-2023)
Old 07-13-2023 | 11:20 AM

C43
In the Netherlands, for 2005 and older, they analyze your exhaust gases for NOx, which needs to be under a certain threshold
I live in Georgia, and when I take my wife’s Nissan rogue, I’m out of there in about two minutes, but when I take any of my cars, it takes a whole lot longer. It’s almost like if they’re looking for some reason to fail the car, I have also tried different testing facilities with the similar results
Old 07-14-2023 | 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55
If all your plans are is to do an upper pulley and tune, you do not need a secondary. Long tubes will help you greatly with cooling down as well - that's a cooling mod in and of itself!

Quite frankly, unless you're trying to break records or have big power goals, your typical run of the mill long tubes and upper pulley cars do not need much to run strong and consistent. A good aftermarket exchanger and IC pump is more than adequate. The heatsoak thing is a bit exaggerated about these cars, it is not that terrible. I've owned a few now with various mods and I live in a state with 100+ weather in the summer and given with blown V8s , yes, you lose some grunt but it is nothing drastic. You're not tracking your car, are you?

You'll be fine, OP ... best of luck
Old 07-14-2023 | 07:35 PM

C43
Originally Posted by ArmoE55
If all your plans are is to do an upper pulley and tune, you do not need a secondary. Long tubes will help you greatly with cooling down as well - that's a cooling mod in and of itself!

Quite frankly, unless you're trying to break records or have big power goals, your typical run of the mill long tubes and upper pulley cars do not need much to run strong and consistent. A good aftermarket exchanger and IC pump is more than adequate. The heatsoak thing is a bit exaggerated about these cars, it is not that terrible. I've owned a few now with various mods and I live in a state with 100+ weather in the summer and given with blown V8s , yes, you lose some grunt but it is nothing drastic. You're not tracking your car, are you?

You'll be fine, OP ... best of luck
LOL…..Only track time this car we’ll see is on the sidelines. Thanks for the great info.

nd-photo.nl (07-15-2023)