Sponsored by:

Tune, new plugs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 12:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
08 E 6point3-sold- 11 caddy cts-v-sold, 2012 E63 Palladium Silver
Tune, new plugs

Not sure when my build dates but have read a lot of guys having plug issues after he tunes. Think I am having an issue.

Can anybody recommend an upgraded plug
Old 11-14-2012, 11:54 AM
Administrator

Received 795 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
What issues are you experiencing? I have tunes on both my M157's and didnt need new plugs.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by drop997stop
Not sure when my build dates but have read a lot of guys having plug issues after he tunes. Think I am having an issue.

Can anybody recommend an upgraded plug
Which tune did you go with? I've got Renntech tune and no issues thus far, even after some very hard driving.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:28 AM

Issues

Well before I post any names of the tuner, I want to explain everything that has happen and that is revelant.

Sent my ecu out on thurs and then headed to Vegas for the weekend. Got back on sun and my ecu was waiting for me. Plug in and drove it for 5-10 miles. Wife was in the car so didn't really get to experience anything.

Next day I schedule my after Dyno run and drove 5-10 miles to the shop. Slapped it on the dyno and the car was pinging at high rpm.

We ran the car one more time and a cel popped up. It threw several codes p2272 p0627 p0420 p0036 p0056 b0da8 p0305

My biggest concern is the p0305 which is the misfire in cyclinder 5. The reason for this post is I researched the m157 spark plug recall and noticed others had the same code after the tune. I don't know my build date and have not serviced the car yet.

The Dino shopped clear all codes and I had been instructed to drive some more miles on the car to allow the ecu to adapt.

No problems so far and the car feels strong. I don't drive my car hard and if I get aggressive it's just in the 1-2 gear. By then I am flying on the streets and need to slow down.

I am worried that have always had a plug issues but never drove my car hard enough to have a problem. When I put the car on the dyno, the hard run cause the plug to fail? I did have the car dynoed before the tune and no problem

So my first mistake was that I didn't know about the adapt phase and should of put more miles on the car. I am going to put a couple more miles on I and see what happens.

Anybody have ideas
Old 11-16-2012, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IT LIKE ITS STOLEN!
Its not the tuner, i just got my car back its the plugs, car runs stronger than ever
Old 11-16-2012, 05:30 PM

tune

i hope thats the case,

did the dealer replace the plugs, any idea what plugs they used.

Anymore fuel injector issues or codes

Originally Posted by NickE63
Its not the tuner, i just got my car back its the plugs, car runs stronger than ever
Old 11-16-2012, 05:35 PM

IT LIKE ITS STOLEN!
i hope thats the case,

did the dealer replace the plugs, any idea what plugs they used.

Anymore fuel injector issues or codes
YES the dealer replaced the plugs NO i dont know which they used and NO no codes. car runs extremly strong idles like a champ and on the way home ive winding out 3rd gear shifting into 4th and it pulls harder than ever. whats up with your car did you drop it off is it running? whats the story?
Old 11-17-2012, 11:17 PM

Was driving home on the freeway normal speed and hear a loud thump. Thought I hit something but then my cel turns on. Can rev past 2 and the car starts shaking violently. Lucky I was close to home. Stop at the light and the idle is shaking like crazy and car shaking also. Doesn't feel good.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:19 PM

Looks like a serious issue at this point. Not too savy with cars and looking for others input.

Feels like exhaust is clogged, maybe burnt my cats or I don't have any idea. The violent shaking is scaring me
Old 11-18-2012, 12:42 AM

BiTurbo E63
My car did this the other day think it was bad gas. I put shell 91 in it and a nos octane booster and been running fine since
Old 11-18-2012, 12:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
nick what symptoms were u having before u opted for new plugs
Old 11-18-2012, 01:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 E63 AMG
Looks like a serious issue at this point. Not too savy with cars and looking for others input.

Feels like exhaust is clogged, maybe burnt my cats or I don't have any idea. The violent shaking is scaring me
Did you contact Eurocharged to see if they have any idea what it could be? Based on the symptoms you're describing, I would get it to the dealer ASAP, as driving it may cause some serious damage.

Also interesting is the fact that the three of you in this thread noting experiencing similar symptoms are all running the Eurocharged tune. Not implying anything, just making an observation.

Good luck and keep us posted what you find.

Last edited by xtyper; 11-18-2012 at 01:50 AM.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:10 AM

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 C63 Purpose built race car, 2015 CLS 63 S, 2016 GLA45, 2017 GTS
Guys it sounds like your car is going into limp mode which is the way the ECU protects your engine. I went through all of this. A week after I got my tune this exact thing happened. It's your ECU shutting down the cylinder where the misfire occurs. I took my car in and the plug was replaced under warrantee and all was good for many months of hard riving and track days. Then I went through another set of mods and it all started over again. This time it turned out to be the coil packs and I've heard that I'm not the first. Its actually not that big of a deal and don't think its the any of the tuners fault.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:12 AM

Is the misfire happening due to a faulty plug or something with the tune causing it. I have read all the threads about faulty plugs still performing until tuned.

It's going to the dealer on Monday an hope they honor the warranty
Old 11-18-2012, 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 E63 AMG
Is the misfire happening due to a faulty plug or something with the tune causing it. I have read all the threads about faulty plugs still performing until tuned.

My guess is that some of these tunes raise boost beyond the level that the stock plugs can handle. That was one of the reasons I went with the Renntech tune, as they told me peak boost on their tune was the same as stock PP level of 18.8psi.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by xtyper
My guess is that some of these tunes raise boost beyond the level that the stock plugs can handle. That was one of the reasons I went with the Renntech tune, as they told me peak boost on their tune was the same as stock PP level of 18.8psi.
Interesting....My boost is at 1.4bar which is 20.3psi from Renntech.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:19 PM

I agree 100% with that theory. When I took it in for the first time, freaking out about the whole thing, I though the tune killed my engine. They replaced under warrantee and the new plugs never failed.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by freefall
Interesting....My boost is at 1.4bar which is 20.3psi from Renntech.
My tune is their standard shelf tune, but I think yours is a bit customized.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
Thought all the tunes have boost the psi. To get the major power and tinker with other features to differentiate from other companies
Old 11-19-2012, 03:10 AM

2012 CLS63 AMG, 2012 Bentley Cont. GT, 2013 Cayenne Turbo
To the OP:
Don't panic, I've been there..
First had a misfire after 1000 miles with tune. Dealer replaced all of my spark plugs and car ran fine. 2 days after, drove my car really hard and the same symptoms as yours occured (hard thump, when rev over 2k car vibrates really hard, CEL on, restart the car, CEL still on but car drives fine under 90mph).. Took it to service center again, they couldn't find the problem, so they just cleared up the codes.. a week after, same thing happened all over again..

So I contacted my tuner, they retuned my car, CEL gone, car back to normal..

Conclusion:
I think with some tunes/cars, the engine misfire causes some kind of software glitch, which causes the car to go into limp mode. And I guess a retune would be needed to clear it up.

*please note that the MB service center is full of *****
My car have straight pipes installed and they said that it caused the problem, they advised me to put the resonator back on and it should do the problem. Then I asked, what if after I put my resonator back on, they CEL is still there. Then the SA replied: Now we know that your straight pipes somehow damaged the engine (because of reduced back pressure) and we will have to fix your car not under warranty.

If you think that we have the same problem here,
Don't panic and contact your tuner ASAP

Last edited by otherotherbenz; 11-19-2012 at 03:14 AM.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:59 AM

W212 E63
Is the spark plug issue on all 157 e63? I'm planning to purchase a tune soon. Should I first go to the dealer and have the spark plugs replaced?? Also after you sent the ecu back to weistec, were they able to fully diagnose and repair the problem with the malfunction?

Originally Posted by otherotherbenz
To the OP:
Don't panic, I've been there..
First had a misfire after 1000 miles with tune. Dealer replaced all of my spark plugs and car ran fine. 2 days after, drove my car really hard and the same symptoms as yours occured (hard thump, when rev over 2k car vibrates really hard, CEL on, restart the car, CEL still on but car drives fine under 90mph).. Took it to service center again, they couldn't find the problem, so they just cleared up the codes.. a week after, same thing happened all over again..

So I contacted my tuner, they retuned my car, CEL gone, car back to normal..

Conclusion:
I think with some tunes/cars, the engine misfire causes some kind of software glitch, which causes the car to go into limp mode. And I guess a retune would be needed to clear it up.

*please note that the MB service center is full of *****
My car have straight pipes installed and they said that it caused the problem, they advised me to put the resonator back on and it should do the problem. Then I asked, what if after I put my resonator back on, they CEL is still there. Then the SA replied: Now we know that your straight pipes somehow damaged the engine (because of reduced back pressure) and we will have to fix your car not under warranty.

If you think that we have the same problem here,
Don't panic and contact your tuner ASAP
Old 11-19-2012, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 E63 AMG
The more I read, the more I'm convinced the misfire and spark plug issues are related to boost being dialed up higher than the stock components were designed to handle. I have yet to experience anything like this on the shelf RT tune (knock on wood) that limits boost at PP level of 18.8psi. All the other people in this thread reporting experiencing the issue have tunes that raise boost well beyond that.

My advice, contact your tuners and ask them to retune you with peak boost dialed back a bit. I bet that solves the problem.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:10 PM

boost

Its seems that almost everybody with different tunes have had similar issues.

I never checked boost on the dyno and have no idea what I am running.

Car is going into the dealer today. I am hoping that changing the plugs will fix the issue but not betting on it.

My CEL is not on currently but sure if I drive hard it will show up.

So based on all the comments on various threads, issues with specific tuners are

1.eurocharged
2.Renntech
3.Weistec

I am wondering if there are other issues but just not being reported

Originally Posted by xtyper
The more I read, the more I'm convinced the misfire and spark plug issues are related to boost being dialed up higher than the stock components were designed to handle. I have yet to experience anything like this on the shelf RT tune (knock on wood) that limits boost at PP level of 18.8psi. All the other people in this thread reporting experiencing the issue have tunes that raise boost well beyond that.

My advice, contact your tuners and ask them to retune you with peak boost dialed back a bit. I bet that solves the problem.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:16 PM

plugs

do you think the re-occurence of the issue after plug changes is related to the plugs dealers are using.

Maybe a colder plug will fix the problem

Car is going into the dealer today. I am hoping that changing the plugs will fix the issue but not betting on it.

So based on all the comments on various threads, issues with specific tuners are

1.eurocharged
2.Renntech
3.Weistec

Old 11-19-2012, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 E63 AMG

1.eurocharged
2.Renntech
3.Weistec

I have not heard of any incidents where the Renntech SHELF tune was causing this. Freefall is running a custom Renntech tune with boost turned up to 20.3psi, well beyond their standard 18.8psi. As far as I know, the SHELF tunes of the other tuners already have boost targets at 20+psi.

The issue is not the tuner, but the boost targets of the tune itself.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tune, new plugs