W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Facelift W212 designo Choices- Real Photos!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
Facelift W212 designo Choices- Real Photos!

I thought I'd create a thread to share photos of real E63s that I've found in the various designo paints, leather colors, and trim offerings so all of you can make a better decision when ordering your cars as we all know how terrible MBUSA's website renderings are. I've pulled all of these photos off of numerous searches online and cars.com so I could make a better decision when ordering my own car. I hope this would be helpful to you.

This info is for the USA but I think it's pretty much the same around the world. I saw that only the USA gets designo Mystic Brown paint while other parts of the world don't show that color available including Canada and Germany.

Please note that the colors will look different in different lighting conditions. These photos are just to give you an idea what it will look like and it's definitely a step up from the MB website but can still look different in person.

Paint: 2014+ we have only five designo paint offerings compared to the prefacelift that had more.
We are now offered designo Mocha Black, designo Graphite Grey, designo Mystic Brown, designo Magno Alanite Grey (Matte), designo Cashmere White

033 designo Mocha Black:

041 designo Graphite Grey:

052 designo Mystic Brown:

044 designo Magno Alanite Grey:

049 designo Magno Cashmere White:

Last edited by xxGenericSNxx; 08-24-2014 at 02:03 PM.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Interior: The numbers given are the package number note the actual interior color (as the DOG doesn't list those).

The US price for designo interior is $1,180 (AMG price only) and it includes the seating surface of the four outboard seats in this alternate color, some alternate stitching on the seat edges, designo branded floor mats with black leather edges, the facelift also gains color matched door panel inserts. The rear center seat, all armrests, and seat sides and backs are still in black leather.

In terms of leather grade, and surfaces covered in leather, it is the exact same as the regular E63 interior available. You are only paying for a different color, designo floor mats, and some two tone detailing (along with a 6-8 extra wait time).

181 designo Sand
255 designo Platinum White
274 designo Saffron Beige (Pastel Yellow in other markets)
278 designo Mystic Red
280 designo Amaretto
286 designo Auburn Brown (Maron in other markets)**
286 designo Light Brown (probably called something else in other markets)**

There is an error in the Dealer Ordering Guide for 2014 and 2015. They list designo Auburn Brown and designo Light Brown as both having the 286 package. I don't know which one is the true 286 and what the other code is. If anyone knows please tell me!

I've tried to use similar angles for all the photos so you can more easily compare against others.

181 designo Sand- first image with Bamboo, second with Curly Maple:

255 designo Platinum White- first image with Carbon Fiber, second not sure:

274 designo Saffron Beige- both images with Curly Maple:

276 designo Mystic Red- first image with Piano Black Lacquer, second image not sure:

280 designo Amaretto- unsure of trim for both images:

286 designo Auburn Brown**incorrectly labelled option code- first image with Curly Maple, second image not sure:

286 designo Light Brown** incorrectly labelled option code- both images with Curly Maple:
Note- this is a prefacelift interior- the facelift cars have color matched door panel inserts and DOES NOT have wood trim under the armrests on the door panel.

Last edited by xxGenericSNxx; 08-25-2014 at 01:16 AM.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

There are three designo trims available as an $850 option. The amount of trim pieces is the same as a regular trim option with the addition of the designo badge near the passenger side AC vent.

W10 designo Natural Curly Maple
W26 designo Natural Bamboo
W69 designo Piano Black Lacquer

W10 designo Natural Curly Maple:

W26 designo Natural Bamboo:

W69 designo Piano Black Lacquer:

Last edited by xxGenericSNxx; 08-24-2014 at 02:27 PM.
Old 08-24-2014, 03:11 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
'19 GLC 63S, '17 911 TTS Cabrio, '16 Viper TA2.0, '15 E63S (sold),'12 Harley CVO 2212cc
Great post ! Thanks for sharing your intensive research
Old 08-24-2014, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 S550 Coupe
Designo details

Very helpful. Thank you very much!
Old 08-24-2014, 05:12 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,898 Likes on 1,331 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
I read something about diamond white being re branded a designio color for '15... Really?
Old 08-24-2014, 05:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 E63 S
Thanks for compiling this! When I ordered my car there had been no deliveries made so it was a bit of a shot in the dark to go designo. In the end I went for the piano black trim and that's it. I'm happy with it.

I really wanted a red interior like they have on the CLS. Mystic red is a little too muddy purple for me.

Even with these choices I find the selections to be a bit bland. I saw a techno violet M6 grand coupe in the fall... I had the same color on my 98 M3 and loved it then as I do now... can't get that in a benz without going to the performance studio.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
is there any possible way to get the entire seat and trim one color with out the black sides and back.....it would look so much better if it was once entire color
Old 08-24-2014, 10:14 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2008 Saab 93 TurboX SC (BSR stage 1)/2014 E63 S Wagon (Rebellion Tuned/Renntech Sport Mufflers)
Wow great work! I wish I had these pictures when I ordered!

If I was to reorder today, I find the best combo to be sand leather and bamboo trim... but with kids I'm happy with the darker mystic red I went with!
Old 08-25-2014, 01:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
I read something about diamond white being re branded a designio color for '15... Really?
Yeah I forgot to mention this. Diamond White and Cardinal Red are rebranded as designo for MY2015 but will not require the extra 6-8 week delivery time. Marketing more than anything- doesn't seem like a true designo paint if it wasn't branded as such to begin with.

Originally Posted by Chocofishez
Thanks for compiling this! When I ordered my car there had been no deliveries made so it was a bit of a shot in the dark to go designo. In the end I went for the piano black trim and that's it. I'm happy with it.

I really wanted a red interior like they have on the CLS. Mystic red is a little too muddy purple for me.

Even with these choices I find the selections to be a bit bland. I saw a techno violet M6 grand coupe in the fall... I had the same color on my 98 M3 and loved it then as I do now... can't get that in a benz without going to the performance studio.
In the USA we can get custom colors- I inquired about it. We can get any previous standard MB paint for a one time $2,500 custom order fee (similar to the one time SPC special options charge) + $3,000. If you want any (gloss) designo paint it's the same $2,500 custom order fee + ~$7,500.

If you want to do any non MB color it is possible but the process is a little more complicated since you can't just tell them what MB paint code you want so it becomes more involved but not impossible. Not sure of cost for that but the Techno Violet should be possible if you really want it.

Originally Posted by vdubpower
is there any possible way to get the entire seat and trim one color with out the black sides and back.....it would look so much better if it was once entire color
Nope. If MB didn't even let me do the matching contrast designo stitching for the armrests they sure as hell won't let you adjust the seat pattern. I like the black center as it's a little different from the regular choices.

Originally Posted by kart125
Wow great work! I wish I had these pictures when I ordered!

If I was to reorder today, I find the best combo to be sand leather and bamboo trim... but with kids I'm happy with the darker mystic red I went with!
I love the Sand on Bamboo as well but I wanted to have a more unique color so like you I got the Mystic Red. I personally prefer a brighter red but the ladies involved in the decision making process prefer the more muted red.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:15 AM

2014 E63S WAGON (On Order), BMW X5 (Gone), E92 M3 (Gone)
Magno Alanite Grey is sick
Old 08-25-2014, 03:37 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Porsche 991 GT3, 2012 cls63 Kleemann K3
Originally Posted by xxGenericSNxx

In terms of leather grade, and surfaces covered in leather, it is the exact same as the regular E63 interior available. You are only paying for a different color, designo floor mats, and some two tone detailing (along with a 6-8 extra wait time).
so if you're only paying for a different color leather, and the existing color is black, what about the JET black designo leather option? i saw it as as n option for the cls. is it different than the standard black? i would think so.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
2019 E63 S
In the USA we can get custom colors- I inquired about it. We can get any previous standard MB paint for a one time $2,500 custom order fee (similar to the one time SPC special options charge) + $3,000. If you want any (gloss) designo paint it's the same $2,500 custom order fee + ~$7,500.
First of all props for a great thread and all of your effort.

I went with designo lightly brown leather and designo curly maple wood.

I am not thrilled with any of the standard or designo paints for the E63. There is no befit medium blue such as BMW's San Marino Blue (M6 color) or Monte Carlo Blue (M5 color).

I do really like the designo Mystic Blue which used to be available on the E63 but no longer is (it is available for the CLS63). So if I read you right it would be $10,000 to get an E63 painted Mystic Blue, correct?

At that price point that is not going to happen.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mainly
so if you're only paying for a different color leather, and the existing color is black, what about the JET black designo leather option? i saw it as as n option for the cls. is it different than the standard black? i would think so.
I'm not sure if I spoke about this with you before but yeah I'm not sure what the difference between designo Jet Black and standard non designo Black are. I would imagine that Jet Black is even more black than the regular color but that's just a guess. None of my local dealers have the designo sample stand in their showroom.

Originally Posted by sdg1871
First of all props for a great thread and all of your effort.

I went with designo lightly brown leather and designo curly maple wood.

I am not thrilled with any of the standard or designo paints for the E63. There is no befit medium blue such as BMW's San Marino Blue (M6 color) or Monte Carlo Blue (M5 color).

I do really like the designo Mystic Blue which used to be available on the E63 but no longer is (it is available for the CLS63). So if I read you right it would be $10,000 to get an E63 painted Mystic Blue, correct?

At that price point that is not going to happen.
Thank you! The light brown on curly maple looks great!

My all time favorite designo is Mauritius Blue (bright blue) followed by Mystic Blue. I inquired about painting my E Wagon in either of those colors and I was quoted nearly $10,000 to do it straight from the factory. Although the colors are enticing for me, we found to like the designo Mystic Brown quite a lot, especially after seeing it in person. The blue just wasn't worth the $7,700 upcharge (to us) over the regular designo paint even though it'd be even more cool to have a totally unique color.

It's too bad they got rid of a lot of the COLORFUL designo paints after the facelift. We lost designo Mystic Red (exterior), Mystic Blue, and Mauritius Blue from what I recall.

I'm personally just so sick of all the 50 shades of Gray and Black that they offer even though the Matte Gray is quite sick.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 E63 S
I'm not sure if I spoke about this with you before but yeah I'm not sure what the difference between designo Jet Black and standard non designo Black are. I would imagine that Jet Black is even more black than the regular color but that's just a guess. None of my local dealers have the designo sample stand in their showroom.

Thank you! The light brown on curly maple looks great!

My all time favorite designo is Mauritius Blue (bright blue) followed by Mystic Blue. I inquired about painting my E Wagon in either of those colors and I was quoted nearly $10,000 to do it straight from the factory. Although the colors are enticing for me, we found to like the designo Mystic Brown quite a lot, especially after seeing it in person. The blue just wasn't worth the $7,700 upcharge (to us) over the regular designo paint even though it'd be even more cool to have a totally unique color.

It's too bad they got rid of a lot of the COLORFUL designo paints after the facelift. We lost designo Mystic Red (exterior), Mystic Blue, and Mauritius Blue from what I recall.

I'm personally just so sick of all the 50 shades of Gray and Black that they offer even though the Matte Gray is quite sick.
I agree with you 100% about the frustration with the lack of bright paint colors. It's like a bunch of old men picked the paint colors. I am not a fan of them. At all. This is one area where BMW is better. No way I will spent $10k for a paint job.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 E63 S
Originally Posted by sdg1871
I agree with you 100% about the frustration with the lack of bright paint colors. It's like a bunch of old men picked the paint colors. I am not a fan of them. At all. This is one area where BMW is better. No way I will spent $10k for a paint job.
I am with you there too. Remember when the E46 M3 came out and you could have Imola Red, Phoenix yellow, laguna seca blue etc.

My dream would be an E63 S in Alubeam (SLS color) with a bright red interior.

And the center console in carbon. So silly of them to ask $2500 for the carbon package but not do the center console.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 E63 S
Originally Posted by Chocofishez
I am with you there too. Remember when the E46 M3 came out and you could have Imola Red, Phoenix yellow, laguna seca blue etc.

My dream would be an E63 S in Alubeam (SLS color) with a bright red interior.

And the center console in carbon. So silly of them to ask $2500 for the carbon package but not do the center console.
BMW still has fantastic colors for its M cars. If I based my decision on paint it would be the M5. But the E63 S's performance is just so far superior.

Yes of course center console should be carbon for that money. It will leave room for aftermarket modders or expensive dealer installed ones.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
2006 E55
Thanks for doing this!

Should be a sticky!!!!!!
Old 08-27-2014, 01:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks guys! I'm glad you find it useful. I think this can be a good resource to anyone even considering doing designo for their build.

That center console is so stupid. The 2010 builds had the shifter surround and ashtray in aluminum. The climate control surround and the two edges next to the shifter surround were in the same trim as the rest of the car. 2011 forward they decided to cheap out to a black plastic center console area. So lame!
Old 08-27-2014, 02:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 E55 AMG; 1991 Previa
+1 on the pics. Every time I read something from you it's GOLD.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
couldnt deal with that black plastic

Old 08-27-2014, 08:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
'14 E63S, '13 G550, '06 E320 cdi, and a bunch of other stuff.
vdub- this is a picture thread (which deserves to be a sticky) regarding designo selections and pics, not an aftermarket mod thread.

if this is a reference thread, then it should be clean.
$0.02
Old 08-27-2014, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes
Great thread, thanks for doing this!
Old 08-27-2014, 07:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
2011 forward they decided to cheap out to a black plastic center console area. So lame!
I thought the change to piano black center console from 2011 forward was actually an upgrade.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:40 AM

2014 E63 S AMG
Nicely done!!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Facelift W212 designo Choices- Real Photos!