S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Eurocharged Black Friday Sale

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 S600
Eurocharged Black Friday Sale

Eurocharged has a Black Friday Sale. It is on till Wed this week. I ordered the ECU/TCU package for my '05 V-12 S600. Regular price 1499, sale price 750.To me, at this price, it was a "I HAVE to get this" decision. I'll post results in a week or two. ECU comes with a thumb drive, the TCU requires removal and send in, one day turn around, 2-3 days down with shipping. Not wanting to have the "lack of maturity" talk again, told wife charges were for engine mounts and coil pack.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
'15 T&C & '14 SL63
i have not seen anything from eurocharged. have a link?
Old 11-24-2015, 07:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 490 Likes on 433 Posts
Mercedes
You'll need new coils soon after a tune as they tend to fry them so what will you tell your wife about needing coil packs a second time?
Old 11-24-2015, 09:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
'15 T&C & '14 SL63
"damn! I guess they really do go out more than you'd expect. Oh well."
Old 11-25-2015, 07:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by tusabes
You'll need new coils soon after a tune as they tend to fry them so what will you tell your wife about needing coil packs a second time?
Where did you hear this BS from?

I have had my tune form EC now for about 4 years with the same coil packs my friend.

Don't listen to the hype.

PS: Enjoy the tune, I know I do
Old 11-25-2015, 07:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by nycphotography
i have not seen anything from eurocharged. have a link?
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...iday-sale.html

Enjoy
Old 11-25-2015, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
Where did you hear this BS from?

I have had my tune form EC now for about 4 years with the same coil packs my friend.

Don't listen to the hype.

PS: Enjoy the tune, I know I do
That "bs" came directly from Jerry at euro charged himself

His quote was 1 in 5 coils die after a tune
(See posts 1 and 2)
https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...0-misfire.html

In the second post the guys coils died a few days after the tune and he wouldn't have bought a tune if he knew they put more stress on the coils

You are simply lucky yours didn't fry after the tune mramg. You are the 4 out of 5 that make it ok
Old 11-28-2015, 09:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by tusabes
That "bs" came directly from Jerry at euro charged himself

His quote was 1 in 5 coils die after a tune
(See posts 1 and 2)
https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...0-misfire.html

In the second post the guys coils died a few days after the tune and he wouldn't have bought a tune if he knew they put more stress on the coils

You are simply lucky yours didn't fry after the tune mramg. You are the 4 out of 5 that make it ok
Well, when I was with Jerry in Chicago he certainly never said anything like that. Still would have done it anyway.

As one should know, ANY time you make more horsepower you have raised the combustion temperature. On the S600 this is done with more boost.

More boost does make for the spark plug to have a harder time to make a spark, as most boost junkies will shorten up the gap and run one less heat range.

Although this strain on the plug is real, there is NOTHING that the coil can do to change anything. It sees the same voltage, resistance, and amperage as long as the stock plug/gap are in place.

By the way, most boost junkies shorten the gap as it is possible that the higher boost can blow the spark out, NOT that it will eat the coil.

AS with ANYTHING, when you turn up the power, things can break. AKA physics get involved here. As far as the coil packs becoming a weak link, that would be very hard to prove indeed. My only real world guess here is that with close proximity to the head, they could see higher working temperatures. Electronics do not like heat.

Good luck OP with whatever you do, but you will love the car even more once you turn up the wick.

Last edited by MRAMG1; 11-28-2015 at 09:44 AM.
Old 11-28-2015, 08:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
That's right , they never advise customers before a tune , only when they fail afterwards they give them the story that 1 out of 5 coils fail. That's the key problem I keep trying to highlight in these forums , that this risk is being hidden -and there's always people like you shouting " BS" trying to keep this information hidden .

Look, if a buyer is fully informed In Advance -and ok with the risk of premature coil failure , or have a warranty , go bananas.

But there are plenty of people not informed in advance , just like you and those others weren't informed in advance - or aware that bumping up the power can fry coils , and we don't need people like you screaming "go for it " while trying to hide the reported failures
Old 11-29-2015, 05:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 329 Likes on 266 Posts
2006 S600
I don't always share tusabes' negativity about V12TT reliability etc, but I think he's on target here. There's no guarantee that it will fail - but there's a significantly increased probability. Yes, there's always an exception that proves the rule, but there does seem to be a lot of anecdotal evidence about this.

Speaking from personal experience, my S600 bust a coil pack after being Eurocharge tuned, and it took me long time to get over all the misfire and CEL problems.

Part of the problem is the spark plugs. I don't think anyone uses the wrong plugs, but they have to be in good condition and the gaps have to be right. That's not something I've had to attend to for many years, but I had to get them spot on with this car.

If you're going to tune a V12TT, I'd say fit new NGK IFR6QG or Bosch FR7-KPP33U at the same time, and set the gaps to 0.7mm.

(I also made myself a new pair of coil pack heat shields to replace the ridiculous Mercedes ones. They reduced the peak working temp of the coil pack case by several deg. C. I can't say for sure whether that protects them, but its got to help.)

Nick