Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

1. HOW-TO GUIDE FOR CELL PHONE UPGRADES, PLUG-IN AND BLUETOOTH

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E320 CDI
Bluetooth how to in 2005 CDI

I have a 320E CDI manufactured in Germany in 2004, but the VIN returns as a 2005 North American model.
It had a cell phone with cradle, which I removed. The puck with tail seemed to fit just fine. The plug on the end of the tail worked in the plug socket for the phone cradle plug, like it was made for it.
Previously someone had advised checking the wiring, as the puck does not seem to be getting power. When I press the blue button, nothing happens. I will check voltages this weekend. The telematics buttons work, albiet they don't call anyone. I figure they must be on the same circuit, so I know there is power that far. I can also plug the phone back in to see if anything pops up on the screen when I try to dial. I might have a bad puck, but I doubt that, as there is not much too it.
That is where I am at so far.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
UPDATE ON PHONE BULLETINS

As some of you know, the phone bulletins referred to throughout the "How-To Guide for Cell Phone Upgrades, etc." sticky are no longer available on Paul H. Dick's website. The index is, but not the bulletins themselves. However, BW member elc32955 has provided the extremely useful information, reproduced entirely below. Hats off to you, Eric! :thumbsup:

I cannot make changes within the Guide to reflect this information in each post where the Phone Bulletins are mentioned, but here it is.

************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** *****************************

Posted by: elc32955
On: 06-07-2014 08:38 PM

Hi Folks!

I'm pretty new here, but I've started to tackle the problem of enabling Bluetooth in my 2005 E320 CDI and have been reading the FAQ's from all around the forums. I see a common theme here and on other sites that the Phone Bulletin archive seems to have disappeared from Paul's website as of a few months ago, which had a lot of good information on it (that I needed for my 05).

Well, even though the bulletins are gone off Paul's site, the bulletins are STILL AVAILABLE via the power of the 'net! Here's how you get to them.

1) Go to the Wayback machine site, https://archive.org/web/web.php

2) Enter the complete URL of the file formerly available on Paul's site (example - archive for the 2005 E-series sedan) from Paul's page such as "http://phdwebsite.powerpulse.cc/Phon...0E%20Sedan.pdf". Paul's index page is still up so this can be used as the source for the URL information you'll need. Phone Bulletins (Phone Bulletins)

3) The archive search you've requested will take you to a calendar page. There will be entries highlighted that represents the last time the page was crawled and archived. Click on a highlighted date (in this case, I used Sept 2, 2011).

4) Bingo!!! There's your PDF Phone Bulletin, complete with pictures. I'd highly recommend someone with available time track these all down and make a new repository somewhere.

Just a little lesson that _nothing ever disappears off the Internet _ if you know how to search for it. Hopefully this helps people in my position who are looking for this info. for upgrades.

Thanks
Eric

Last edited by Skylaw; 06-08-2014 at 08:58 PM.
Old 06-14-2014, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

In addition to the information above, Ex-Fed has re-created the links to the phone bulletins in a pdf file for some '99 models, all models from '00-05 and some '06 models. See http://www.benzworld.org/forums/audi...bulletins.html
Old 09-21-2014, 05:56 PM

Audi TT
Sorry, I am having a hard time determining what I need to make my car bluetooth compatible. The car is a 2005 C55 AMG with the H/K Audio 20 system (has phone buttons on the steering wheel and radio) with Teleaid.

Armrest: does not have the UHI/MHI connector, but I opened up the armrest and was able to locate the the two plugs where the connector will plug into. Any ideas where these plugs are still available?

Trunk: I located the following two modules in my trunk, do I need to add any others?

Module 1:

Module 2:

I already have a bluetooth puck, so the easy part is purchased!

Any help/ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Roman
Old 11-23-2014, 09:33 AM

2008 E350
Thanks so much, all my questions have been answered by your post and the link was so helpful I am happy I joined this group. I am a new owner of a 2008 E350 in great shape and so well taken care of...love my Benz!
Old 11-23-2014, 09:57 AM

Audi TT
If anyone is interested in an aftermarket option for under $100, I just installed this:

http://www.amazon.com/iSimple-Hands-Free-Calling-Streaming-Smartphones/dp/B00FRU5UNA

I was looking at installing the OEM components in my C55, which was not bluetooth equipped, and realized that it would run me over $500 to buy all the necessary pieces.

Instead this aftermarket piece is 1/5 the price and has more functionality (make calls and stream music).

The install instructions are straight forward, and the entire process took around an hour.

1. I hid the supplied answer button in the ashtray and routed the wire through a small hole at the bottom of the ash tray (this button also activates Siri, so this is 100% hands free operation).

2. I hid the supplied microphone in the same place where the OEM microphone is supposed to be.

3. I cut off the AUX output and hard wired it into our AUX input in the passenger footwell.

In the end everything is 100% hidden and looks completely stock. Again dollar for dollar this is 1/5 the price with more functionality (Siri, make calls, pandora, google maps...)

Hope some of you find this useful and are able to save a bit of money over trying to add the OEM components.

Best,
Roman
Old 11-24-2014, 07:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That would certainly be an option to consider for models having an AUX input, or the ability to splice into one in the footwell, as you did. Some models, however, do not have any AUX capability at all - e.g., all of the '00-'06 W220s (S-Class), except the '03. The COMAND head units used in those models simply did not have AUX inout capability. Check first!
Old 01-22-2015, 09:17 PM

CL
For Older models 1999-Up. Here are two CAN based solutions with an OEM touch:
http://cruxinterfacing.com/products/BEEMB-44/index.html
OR
http://cruxinterfacing.com/products/...44B/index.html
Old 04-10-2015, 10:33 AM

R350
texting

Hi I just bought a 2012 R350, can someone give some info on how to get the reading of texts threw the car with a iphone thx
Old 06-12-2015, 03:59 PM

clk 320
Hi, not sure if this post is still active, but, i have a quick question.
i have a 2005 CLK320 and I'm in the midst of installing the bluetooth kit.
so I installed the BT puck and the connector plate and the UHI that goes in the trunk.
My model doesn't have any thing in the fiber optic loop. No CD Changer, No Amplifier, No Satellite Radio or TeleAid.
So, after installing, the bluetooth puck doesn't power up, and the cluster doesn't says no phone!

So, I was told that the fiber optic needs to be lit. is that the case?
any suggestions would be appreciated.
thanks .
Old 06-15-2015, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Did you install it in accordance with the phone bulletin for your car (https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxI8...Q/edit?pli=1)? You would not need the linear amplifier or the antenna splitter for Bluetooth.

Check your fuse diagram. Are there fuses specific to a phone system that are not installed?

Yes, fiber optics would be lit (one of the cables from the head unit would glow red - if it as an F/O unit). Do you have an original MB head unit? (I ask because most of those I am familiar with have a separate amp., and you say you have none). The fiber optics connect the head unit, the amp, and anything else using the amp, in cars I am familiar with.

It would also be unusual for your vintage car not to have a tele-aid module even if you don't subscribe. They were standard equipment.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:26 PM

clk 320
thanks for your reply Skylaw.
I did install it according to the bulletin and I put in two additional fuses.
and yes it is an original Audio 20 Head Unit.
the thing is there is nothing installed in the fiber optic loop.
So, i dont have sound system, or cd changer or Tele-aid. that's why i was asking if that might be the reason that my fiber optic cable is not lighting up when i start the car. is that what version coding means? that i have to go to the dealer so they can lit the fiber optic cables?
I stopped by the dealer the other day, they seem to know nothing about the possibility to install a bluetooth kit on a 2005 clk.
sometimes they are really useless..
Old 06-18-2015, 09:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Version coding is explained in the first post in this thread. I realize this thread is lengthy and difficult to digest - you might find the thread at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/audi...ades-plug.html easier. It is updated, and most of what you need to know is explained in the first seven posts.

The first thing I would suggest is to double check the installation in accordance with the bulletin. The fuses and relays called for must be present. Failure of the system to even power up brings this into question.

An additional step I would suggest is to check the back of the Audio 20 head unit to be sure the fiber leads are still connected to it. If the head unit was ever removed, it is possible they were disconnected.

The fact that the fiber optics do not light up (on one side) suggests those a break or disconnect in the fiber optics between the HU and the MHI controller. Do any of the leads in the trunk light up when you turn on the Audio 20? Look especially at the lead labeled "E" on page 3, part B of the phone bulletin.

Then, be sure you have made the connections at the transmission tunnel per page 7, item ii.

Some owners have installed equipment without having the version coding done, and have been able to get some use out of their phones. However, the only way to be sure one has all of the functionality the system is designed for is to version code the fiber optics controller (which I believe is, in this case, the HU). However, even without version coding you should get indications that the system is powered up (the puck should light up). Because it doesn't at least power up, I suspect connections. The MOST bus "wake-up" signal is transmitted via fiber optics - which again makes me suspect that fiber optic connections may be the cause.

Not being familiar with your car beyond what is provided in the phone bulletin, I really can't offer more help. Possibly the supplier of your components would be able to.

Last edited by Skylaw; 06-18-2015 at 09:38 AM.
Old 06-21-2015, 03:05 PM

2003 ML 350
2003 ml350 v60 install

OK, call me crazy, but I'm preparing to install the original v60 phone and voice control system components that are missing from my ML. The vehicle is supposed to be factory pre-wired. The goal is to obtain via eBay, etc, everything including a v60s or v60g which will be activated just for kicks, along with a puck to allow me to use my Note3 via Bluetooth on a day to day basis.

Question... do the v60 pucks still work well with modern smartphones/ phablets?

Contribution... Perhaps this site will help others: http://www.bbbind.com/free_tsb.html

Instructions for the w163 ml:
http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/...dPdf?id=132037

Last edited by Carole Wright; 06-21-2015 at 05:17 PM.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The V60 pucks work with modern smart phones and phone-equipped tablets to the extent the MB system was designed for. It will handle telephony - voice, dialing, answering calls, muting music, etc. It will NOT handle SMS or Bluetooth music streaming; you would need additional modifications for that (see http://www.benzworld.org/forums/audi...hancement.html).

As to equipment, rather than chasing down cradles, I suggest you get a Universal PSE, a cradle eliminator cable and a V60 puck. You may need fuses as well. You will not need a linear compensator or an antenna switch. You may find the How-To Guide at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/audi...ades-plug.html to be a little easier to use, since it has been updated much more recently. What you need is in the first seven posts, and there is a "matrix" to tell you which would apply. Your ML will have a D2B fiber optics system.

Thank you for the link to the BBB site - it is a good source for the phone bulletin. The bulletins are also available in the How-To Guide link provided.

Last edited by Skylaw; 06-22-2015 at 08:37 AM.
Old 07-20-2015, 10:51 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2003 S500 4Matic (SOLD) + 2004 S55 (SOLD) 2005 CLK 500 Cabriolet 2008 S 450
I just purchased a 2008 S 450 which is the short wheel base S model available in Canada starting in 2008 I believe. I believe that the electronics are identical to the W 221 S 500. I'm having trouble pairing the new Blackberry Classic. When telephone is first selected the screen says telephone off. I can get the telephone to show "on" and I can even get the puck in the console to flash blue lights but I can't get the Blackberry to find the Mercedes or the Mercedes to find the Blackberry. Funny enough the BlackBerry can find the "MySync" from my wife's Lincoln that is in the garage with the Mercedes. Can anyone offer suggestions?
Old 08-16-2015, 08:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 E55 99 SC400 01 Z06 Corvette

Anyone help me on which Bluetooth puck is needed for my 2004 E55 its a v60s, I think its B67875856?
Old 11-11-2015, 10:50 AM

2004 E320 sedan
Is puck with tail only BT option

I have read this entire thread as well as the much lengthier one at www.mbca.org.

My 2004 E320 sedan has the V60 cradle and was working with the V60i phone (which is not E911 compliant). I am no longer interested/able to use the V60 phone and am investigating adding BT so that I can use my iPhone.

The cradle installed in the car is the Q682 0828 "V60 cradle short cord kit".

I understand that, if I can find one, I can take out the cradle and install the puck with tail (B 6 7 87 5855) and pair my iPhone with it for basic phone use.

Post #74 in this thread suggested that he was able to use the V60 puck (no tail) with a similar vehicle. I was unaware that the V60 puck (B 6 7 87 58 56) would work with the CP211/PSE system.

Is this also a viable alternative?

Thank you.
Old 11-12-2015, 01:21 PM

2014 S550 4matic
Just get puck

[QUOTE=cameloper;6611445]I have read this entire thread as well as the much lengthier one at www.mbca.org.

My 2004 E320 sedan has the V60 cradle and was working with the V60i phone (which is not E911 compliant). I am no longer interested/able to use the V60 phone and am investigating adding BT so that I can use my iPhone.

The cradle installed in the car is the Q682 0828 "V60 cradle short cord kit".

I understand that, if I can find one, I can take out the cradle and install the puck with tail (B 6 7 87 5855) and pair my iPhone with it for basic phone use.

Post #74 in this thread suggested that he was able to use the V60 puck (no tail) with a similar vehicle. I was unaware that the V60 puck (B 6 7 87 58 56) would work with the CP211/PSE system.

Is this also a viable alternative?

Thank you.

Just get the puck that fit v60 cradle plug it in pair your phone
Old 11-12-2015, 01:58 PM

2014 S550 4matic
part number B67875856 an after market number? It is not coming up on the MB parts center site as a good number

drop the "B" and put in part number @genuinemercedesparts.com if you need to find puck or change on ebay it may be cheaper than dealer.

you only need puck, your PSE is already compatible.
Old 11-13-2015, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

cameloper, some people report success with the 5856 puck, but others do not. Older cradles are slightly smaller than the V60 puck, and the fit is not always good, resulting on poor contact between the cradle and puck. An '04 E-Cass probably has a V60S phone, which is larger than a V60; it may fit the 5856 puck just fine.

However, your 2004 E-Class has a CP-211 system, and the "Puck with Tail" is the Bluetooth device made for it - part no. B 6 787 5855 (you may have to drop the "B").

You may find the first seven posts at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/audi...ades-plug.html to be more helpful. I am able to modify and update the thread there, whereas I cannot do so here or on MBCA (I was the one who posted it there as well) - so it is more current. Specifically, you need posts 1 and 4 in that thread, and you may find posts 6 and 7 useful (or not).
Old 11-14-2015, 12:11 PM

2004 E320 sedan
Skylaw,

Thanks for your response. I did (actually) read all 75 pages in the benzworld post as well.

I am fairly certain that the cradle in my 2004 E-class is the smaller, non-V60s cradle. I will see if I can find more about the likelihood-of /problems-with the puck without tail not fitting well.

The clearest solution reading your guides is to use the puck with tail. However, it seems a pity to remove the cradle that is already there. That is why I was asking about the possibility of the 5856 V60 puck. Most of the people who responded to your posts had the 2003/2004 E-class without the cradle already installed.

I will look at the availability/cost of both pucks and see if either seems worth it.
Old 02-23-2016, 04:35 PM

2003 E320
Bluetooth E320 not working?

Just upgrade command system for my E320 2003, the phone working but the other side not hear my at all, "may be i'm in muted mode", I have v60 cradle and puck Bluetooth. Please help.
Old 01-04-2018, 03:28 AM

v8 s550
WHERE CAN I find aMEDIA AUX FOR A S550 2007 V8 MERCEDES BENZ

Originally Posted by Skylaw
No. Bluetooth does not support SMS on COMAND; plug-in phones do.
Is there a way that i could use the puck docking station to run bluetooth mp3 audio through my car
Old 01-04-2018, 03:33 AM

v8 s550
WHERE CAN I find aMEDIA AUX FOR A S550 2007 V8 MERCEDES BENZ

No. Bluetooth does not support SMS on COMAND; plug-in phones do.
This is a re-posted and updated version of a string that was accidentally deleted after a contributor posted some copyrighted material to it. Unfortunately, I do not have all of the wonderful information that was posted in response by readers - but I had captured some of them, and have incorporated them in the associated string. Without those contributions, this string would not have been nearly as accurate or comprehensive, so I thank those who took the time to post.

This string addresses the following cell phone upgrade issues for U.S. specification Mercedes cars: 1) Prewiring, version coding, and where to get parts; 2) How to add a compatible plug-in phone to replace StarTacs or TimePorts or V60 phones when a service provider will no longer register them; 3) How to convert a StarTac, TimePort, or V60 system to Bluetooth, or to add a Bluetooth system from scratch, in a Model Year ’00 through ’03 Benz; 4) How to add a cell phone to an ’03-’04 E-Class or ’04 S-Class; and 5) Cell phone options for plug-in and Bluetooth for MHI equipped cars (’05 and later). It also briefly addresses 6) compatibility issues and 7) a Tele-Aid digital replacement. So that one does not have to read through useless information, each of the six matters is addressed by a subsequent, same-numbered post in this string.

I have updated this post as of late April 2008 to account for new equipment such as the "Universal PSE" and the "Cradle eliminator" cable that will aid owners of 2000-2003 cars in equipping their cars for the many new state "hands free" laws. The new equipment will eliminate the need to find older equipment such as "Autosense" PSEs and V60 cradles, which are sometimes in short supply. I thank the contributors who took the time to bring these new devices to my attention.

Covering such a broad set of topics and address each class and type of vehicle would result in a monstrously long post – this will be long enough as it is. Therefore I will discuss a process for determining specific needs for your vehicle, using information posted by Paul H. Dick on his superb website, http://home.earthlink.net/~phdwebsit..._bulletins.htm. I will use my personal experience with the S-Class as an example, but point out that other classes will differ in physical location of equipment and may differ in part numbers; those differences are available on Paul’s site. I will also add that Paul’s knowledge of the ML far surpasses mine, and suggest that many questions about the ML are better addressed there.

I must also ask your forbearance regarding private messages or e-mails regarding specific cell phones. If I haven’t mentioned it, I haven’t seen it, and cannot answer specific questions on how to get it to work with your system. I address how to configure your car’s equipment, and point you to sources of cell phones that it will work with. I cannot go further. I also do not address 3rd party retrofits other than the MikBox, and have no experience with them. My installation experience is limited to my own S-Class cars, so I have not seen all of the wiring and connectors in each model - for that I rely on Paul H. Dick's site for the detailed phone bulletins.

That said, here we go.

A WORD ABOUT PRE-WIRING:

“Pre-wired for hands free communication” (or phone) means that the connecting wire and fiber optic harnesses are in place. It does NOT mean that the electronics such as the PSE and cradle, or any other components are present. Cars from the ’00 through ’05 model years were prewired for phone systems, so that adding the required components was simple (so much so that it’s do-it-yourself, except for the version coding of the fiber optics). However, beginning in the ’06 model year MB began omitting the pre-wiring in some models; I do not have a list of which, and have seen it mentioned only for some models. If your car is not pre-wired for phone, then extensive and expensive work must be done to install the wire harnesses before other equipment can be added.

WHAT IS VERSION CODING

Simply stated, Version Coding is programming the fiber optics controller in your car to tell it that certain electronics are present on the fiber optics bus, and allowing the controller to fully implement all of the features of the electronics. It is done by a dealer or independent technician using the "STAR" diagnostics computer (a laptop with Mercedes Benz proprietary software). If your car had an original equipment hands free phone system installed, and you are upgrading it, you need not have additional version coding done. The new equipment will work fine. If you are installing a phone system (or other equipment that operates on the fiber optics bus) for the first time, the car must be version coded to assure full operation of the new components.

WHERE TO GET PARTS

Your dealer is a good place to start, of course (and don't believe any of them who tell you that what follows cannot be done). This string will provide you the part numbers you need, in most cases. It also provides you links to Paul H. Dick's site, a wonderful reference for phone information including part numbers. You can find more on part numbers (and a wealth of other information on Mercedes systems) at Mercedes Electronics upgrades, installation and retrofits. However (with the exception of the new Universal PSE and the Cradle Eliminator) dealer parts tend to be expensive. You can try ebay; 3rd party suppliers such as USA MBDoctor Mercedes Benz OEM electronics parts and devices. or Mercedes Bluetooth (a Google search will reveal more); and quality salvage yards such as Potomac German Auto, Potomac German Auto : Nation's Largest Since 1979. My inclusion of these sources is merely representative, and is not intended to exclude others, which may be as good or better.

Mercedes has announced "end of life" for many of the older hands free kits - however, this simply means they can no longer be ordered by a kit part number. The individual components of the kit can be ordered under their own part numbers. Some dealers have told owners the parts were discontinued and no longer available, and were not aware that the individual components could still be ordered.
Is there an adaptor that i can use with my cradle to play mp3 audio and if not is there a media interface or something that could be installed to play mp3 audio in my 2007 v8 s550 w221

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 1. HOW-TO GUIDE FOR CELL PHONE UPGRADES, PLUG-IN AND BLUETOOTH