C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

UHI, Phone, Bluetooth, OEM MB Interface Kits, Hands-Free Comms Thread

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 10-17-2004, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 Citron Green C230KMT
honestly though, i wouldnt recommend the V600 to anyone. i had that phone, and had to be one of the worst phones i ever owned.
Old 10-17-2004, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre
Originally Posted by CitronC230K_03
honestly though, i wouldnt recommend the V600 to anyone. i had that phone, and had to be one of the worst phones i ever owned.
I completely agree. I thought that it would be a great phone, the only thing that's great about it are the looks and even that can be debated. You can see now how great the providers thought it was--the phone has been pulled off the shelf by Cingular and AT&T b/c of it's many problems and flaws.

I love how MB is giving us such great options as to phones!
Old 10-17-2004, 05:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'08 CLK320CDI AMG// '13 E500 Coupe AMG// '17 E350d AMG
Question I am confused about a sentence in the following website

I am confused about a sentence in the following website;

http://www.whnet.com/4x4/phones.html

"The Mercedes Universal Handy Interface (UHI)
became available outside of the US and can be ordered with the C, CLK cabrio and coupe, M, SL, G option code 386 for € 460 list. W211 and other models to follow in 2004. Owners are free to choose between select generic Nokia, Siemens or Motorola cellphones. Individual adapters for each phone are available from MB accessories. When inserting the phone make sure the small car shows up in the phone's display. Otherwise remove and reinsert. I had to fumble a bit till it worked. The latest UHI interface is 230 820 42 26 (software Q4, March 2004). The latest phone software versions are recommended. If one sticks a Bluetooth phone into the UHI it then connects other Bluetooth phones/devices/portables in the car - wirelessly."

That info about the UHI its rigth?

I want to get bluetooth and I want to pre-wire my car first (micro, antenna, UHI,etc...),
so, anyone, from the info on that site or if you know the parts I need to pre-wire my car?

and for bluetooth? I'm thinking buying the nokia car kit ck-7w

2003 sport coupe, nokia 6600

thanks
Old 10-17-2004, 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

interesting. i have a 6230 and im getting UHI in a couple weeks when steve returns.

the way i read that though was a BT phone plugged into UHI will still be BT capable. meaning if a friend with a BT phone gets in your car, he can still talk to your phone via BT.

this doesnt mean you can recieve phone calls and what not without having the phone in the cradle. the nice thing about BT and a car equiped and ready for BT, is you dont have to put the phone in the cradle in order for it to connect to your cars network.
Old 10-17-2004, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C300 SPORT 4MATIC
Back to the original post

If you are looking to preserve steering wheel and head unit/audio functionality, I'm affraid there is no other way around it. The 2005 uses the MOST system. Older set MB setups will not work in your car. You will need a MOST module, a phone specific cradle, and the phone itself. Assuming the $1700 you have been quoted also includes the handset/cellphone itself plus labor (I doubt it), you are getting an unbeatable deal.
Old 10-18-2004, 01:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by nlpamg
I completely agree. I thought that it would be a great phone, the only thing that's great about it are the looks and even that can be debated. You can see now how great the providers thought it was--the phone has been pulled off the shelf by Cingular and AT&T b/c of it's many problems and flaws.

I love how MB is giving us such great options as to phones!
i dont think ill ever have another "Moto" phone again. ive punished myself enough with the V60, V70, T720 (absolutely aweful), V400, V600.

i have Cingular and the 2 reasons i only had my V600 for 4 months was because 1. it sucked, software always locked up (they replaced the phone once and it did the same) and 2. it was highly recommended not to have this phone in conjunction with UHI. ive been with Cingular since 1999 when they were PacBell Wireless, i like the service/company so switch service providers was not an option.

i have the Nokia 6230 now. doesnt have the cool looks of the V600, but its reception and software are unbeatable compared to the V600. The V600 (same with the T720) locked up all the time. the software required a hard re-boot. Cingular told me after i continually complained about this phone, i was required to remove the battery every other day while the phone was on, in order to re-boot the software. this was their idea of support since there was nothing they could do about the phone after replacing the phone once.

i know its a bit but food for thought for anyone who really has to have this phone!
Old 10-18-2004, 06:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C230K Coupe/Orion/C4/C5/CD/AMG Spoiler/V60/TeleAid, 2 MGB's
Originally Posted by jugdishoh1
some unscrupulous people have just attached the MB cover (you can buy them from $5) to a regular V60 phone and put it on ebay,

Where can I get a new cover for $5? I searched e-bay...and found nothing
Old 10-18-2004, 08:05 AM

2009 C300 SPORT 4MATIC
V60

My V60 (Verizon) has been extremely reliable and more than serves its purpose. It stays in the car 90% of the time.
M-
Old 10-18-2004, 01:20 PM

2005 C230 SS, 2004 E320
Thanks for all the info guy's, Im going to search around ebay to see what i could find. I just wish i could find something reliable that ebay stuff is a bunch of b/s. Because if you dont read the fine print theres no refund or no return. So im gona check around. Thanks again for the info Guss
Old 10-18-2004, 04:47 PM

2004 C320 pewter/charcoal
Originally Posted by Rick
Where can I get a new cover for $5? I searched e-bay...and found nothing

Sometimes on ebay they have these Mercedes benz bezels that can be put on any V60 phone to make it look like a MB phone. Also, sometimes you can get a deal on the battery and cover together (I bought mine for $20) off of ebay.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:09 AM

Debadged 6-Speed '05 C320 Sports Coupe
The information, from my dealership, on the MB V710 phone availability has dried up.

So, I called MB directly and they told me that the development on these phones is ongoing. They are now targeting November.

For those who can't wait for an integrated '05 phone, the MB V60 is still an option.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:24 PM

2009 C300 SPORT 4MATIC
OEM PHONE "ENVELOPE" ICON ALERT & PSE (MOST) PART NUMBER INFO

I figured I'd start a new thread.

1) The good news is that I finally figured out how to activate the "envelope" icon in the 2005 C Class Head Unit Display. The bad news is that the envelope icon only lights up when you get a TEXT message (it reads, "SMS RECEIVED"). The envelope does not light up if you have a VOICEMESSAGE. What a waste...

2) Scorchie, the part number for the PSE ("vehicle core") is as follows:

Q - 6 - 82 - 0906 ($600)

In addition, the following parts are needed to "retrofit" the phone:

2 plugs, Part# 008-545-55-26 ($2.49 each)
2 cable connectors, Part# 001-546-99-41 ($8.96 each)
1 "vehicle comp" (?), Part# Q-6-82-0907 ($165.00)

Of course, you need the cradle as well. In this case, the UHI/cradle for the Motorola V60 (Verizon) is Part# Q-6-82-0988 and the price is $170.00

Hope this helps,
Martin-
Attached Thumbnails UHI, Phone, Bluetooth, OEM MB Interface Kits, Hands-Free Comms Thread-im004052.jpg   UHI, Phone, Bluetooth, OEM MB Interface Kits, Hands-Free Comms Thread-im004063.jpg  
Old 10-19-2004, 09:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

still a useful feature i think!
Old 10-19-2004, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Thanks for the info Martin!

-s-
Old 10-20-2004, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by jmartinacevedo
I figured I'd start a new thread.
It makes much more sense to post updates for an existing topic within that topic.

The good news is that I finally figured out how to activate the "envelope" icon in the 2005 C Class Head Unit Display. The bad news is that the envelope icon only lights up when you get a TEXT message (it reads, "SMS RECEIVED"). The envelope does not light up if you have a VOICEMESSAGE.
What does this mean? It was stated by scorchie that the head unit and the instrument cluster needed to be programmed for advanced features so that the envelope icon would work properly.

Was this brought to the dealership to have them follow the steps defined by scorchie? If so, what were the results? Does the MY05 have programmable functionality as he defined, or not?

It would still be useful to see a DAS system screen dump, from an ’05, to see the configuration options that scorchie defined..

Last edited by wingless; 10-20-2004 at 08:03 AM.
Old 10-20-2004, 11:08 AM

2009 C300 SPORT 4MATIC
Feature activation-

By way of clarification (particularly for Wingless):

10/18/04:

I took the car to the dealer to see if they could make the "envelope" alert feature operational. After getting past the "what 'envelope icon' are you talking about?" stage , the technician kindly agreed to hook up the car to the DAS system and ran a diagnostic test in my presence. He went over the telephone and audio systems and checked all pertinent menus and submenus to see if there was something he had missed in the original installation pertaining to the activation of specific features such as the message icon alerts. He found nothing and, thus, none of the original settings was changed. I do, however, believe that he did reset the MOST ring.

After he concluded, I tested the system by sending a text message and a voice message to my cellphone. Alas, the icon did not light up.

The tech promised to make a few phone calls (to some higher up MB engineers) and would get back to me one way or the other.

The phone continued to operate correctly (as it had all along) the rest of the day.

10/19/04 (AM):

On my way to the office in the morning, I attempted to make a phone call. The phone, however, was acting up. First, I was dialing the number, you could not hear the DMTF tones. The phone would make the connection, but you could not hear anything (such as the dial tone or the person on the other side). In fact, whereas music would normally mute itself when you make a call, in this case the music continued to play while the call was being made! I reset the handset several times to no avail. In short, I was unable to operate the phone in the car.

Later in the day, I called the tech to make an appointment to have him fixed the phone. During our conversation, he told me he had spoken with a MB engineer who told him that, while there was an envelope icon in the C Class 2005 head unit, it was "non-operational" and there was no way to make it work. In any event, the tech made an appointment for me to bring the car in the following day to have the phone fixed.

10/19/04 (PM):

When I got in my car to drive home later in the afternoon, for the heck of it I attempted to make a call and, lo and behold, the phone now was fully operational, back to normal, and I was able to make and receive calls. To my surprise, the ENVELOPE ICON now was ON!

When I opened the armrest to check my phone to determine if I indeed had a message waiting, I noticed I had one text message only - no voicemail.

After dinner later that night, I played with the phone a bit more. I tried leaving several voicemessages to see if the icon would light up. It did not. However, when I sent text messages from my wife's cellphone into my car phone, the envelope icon immediately lit up and a "SMS RECEIVED" flashed for a few seconds on the audio head unit screen. That night I took the pics I posted above.

10/20/04:

The phone continues to work normally. (Incidentally, my OEM Sirius Satellite Radio system, which had been acting temperamental lately, apparently fixed itself. Signal is strong, no more "acquiring" signal issues, and there is even a shorter delay when you change streams.)

I know there is nothing scientific about this statement but sometimes it looks as though these electronics need time to "settle" before they start working correctly.

So, in short, the "envelope icon" is for SMS text messages - not voicemail.

Martin-
Old 10-20-2004, 11:42 AM

He went over the telephone and audio systems and checked all pertinent menus and submenus to see if there was something he had missed in the original installation pertaining to the activation of specific features such as the message icon alerts. He found nothing and, thus, none of the original settings was changed.
Thanks for the information, great detail! It sounds like the envelope operating as a text message icon may have been working all along, just not initially tested. So, other than the short-term intermittant glitch, as you've stated, no change required.

My vehicle was configured with the MOST interface from the factory, so the handset may just be a plug and play, ifin they ever decide to start shipping the V710 phones.

It would still be useful to get a screen dump of these setup menus to better understand the configuration options for an '05.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by wingless
Thanks for the information, great detail! It sounds like the envelope operating as a text message icon may have been working all along, just not initially tested. So, other than the short-term intermittant glitch, as you've stated, no change required.

My vehicle was configured with the MOST interface from the factory, so the handset may just be a plug and play, ifin they ever decide to start shipping the V710 phones.

It would still be useful to get a screen dump of these setup menus to better understand the configuration options for an '05.
When you hook up a SDAS system to a MOST-based car, if it detects that the configured device list differs from the actual device list, the system will prompt the user to set the configuration to what is actually there.

This behavior differs than older software in that although it asks for confirmation, a technician who is unaware of what is going on may change the settings inadvertently. Previously, the car would continue to generate error codes until everything was coded in manually. Now it does it automatically. Unfortunately in the case of misconfiguration, this will just cause error codes to go away without requiring that the error be repaired.

I know you have asked me to post pictures, but for many reasons (such as people are usually waiting for their cars and I shouldn't impose on them), I won't be until I have an opportunity. If you think it would help you to post those pictures (I am unsure how helpful it would be), maybe you could seek it out? If you'd like to drive your car over here on a weekend I will be happy to let you take pictures.

(I understand that some feature settings can be difficult to find in DAS, such as the "fader on/off" setting for the Audio 10CD. Most people don't even know it exists because it is not listed under the adaptations menu.)

-s-
Old 10-20-2004, 02:43 PM

2009 C300 SPORT 4MATIC
Additional Features

1)Before I took the car to the technician, I had tested the system by sending voicemessages and text messages, both to no avail. Interestingly, I sent myself the text messages from verizonwireless' website, instead of sending them from another cellphone (Don't know if this made any difference).

2)Who knows if the intermittent phone glitch and/or DAS system reset done by the technician was somehow related to the head unit's ability to get the envelope icon activated. Most likely it was just a coincidence.

3) For the time being, at least I got to the bottom of the "envelope icon" issue. Maybe in the next few weeks or months someone will discover if there is a separate symbol or visual alert in the 2005 C Class head unit for VOICEmessages and, if so, how to activate it.

4)Wingless, you have COMAND, correct? It will be very interesting to see if you get separate icons for text and voicemessages. The technician (who only had installed one phone in a new 2005 C Class -- mine), told me that he has installed several phones on W211 E Classes with Comand. Interestingly, he noticed that, depending on the build date, some cars had the ability to show voice and text message visual alerts on the COMAND screen, whereas others don't have this feature at all.

Martin-
Old 10-20-2004, 02:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Martin, just curious... did you happen to look at your manual for your radio? Does it say anything about the icon?

I am curious... because I found some documentation about all the icons on the radio.

-s-
Old 10-20-2004, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

While I was looking around in documentation for information, I also came across a bulletin that suggests that the following problems may be caused by misconfiguration:

1) SMS unable to load
2) SMS indicator not functioning
3) Telephone book weirdness (my term); actually editing it

If any or all of the previous problems occur, the system should be reconfigured and may require coding with supplemental features.

It doesn't give the path on DAS but someday I will look for it.

Of course, Mercedes documentation is often wrong or out of date or been superceded.

-s-
Old 10-20-2004, 05:54 PM

2009 C300 SPORT 4MATIC
Manual

Scorchie,

It would be great if you could pass along that info. My 2005 C Class manual is very poor in that sense. There is no section devoted to an explanation of each of the icons in the head unit. That includes the "envelope" icon (which is not even mentioned at all), the "cassette-looking" icon, etc.

I know it has been discussed before that the "cassette icon" most likely refers to the cassette option available in Europe. Granted, my internet search was short, but I could not locate any reference to the availability of a cassette tape player (in lieu of the cd player) for the redesigned 2005 C Class in Europe. Maybe I simply missed it.

In the spirit of exchange of information, I have the "manual" that I believe came in with the PSE MOST Module. If anyone wants it, I can xerox it and perhaps someone here can scan it and post it online. It's a very thin gray booklet entitled "MB Digital Cellular Phone" and it contains a general description of the features available in the new MB phones (i.e., V710, V600, V60) and what features are accessible through the audio unit. Unfortunately, there are no depictions of icons or screens showing how a particular feature is accessed or how such feature would appear like in one's display.

Let me know.

Martin-
Old 10-20-2004, 07:53 PM

4)Wingless, you have COMAND, correct? It will be very interesting to see if you get separate icons for text and voicemessages. The technician (who only had installed one phone in a new 2005 C Class -- mine), told me that he has installed several phones on W211 E Classes with Comand. Interestingly, he noticed that, depending on the build date, some cars had the ability to show voice and text message visual alerts on the COMAND screen, whereas others don't have this feature at all.
Assuming that at some point in time they complete the development of the MB V710 telephone, then satisfy the order backlog, I expect to have a functioning system with COMMAND. Yes, I will post all related information. Mine was one of the first '05s and the first C320 Sports Coupe with a stick.
Old 10-20-2004, 08:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Scorchie,

It would be great if you could pass along that info. My 2005 C Class manual is very poor in that sense. There is no section devoted to an explanation of each of the icons in the head unit. That includes the "envelope" icon (which is not even mentioned at all), the "cassette-looking" icon, etc.
Oh, the cassette radio may not be available on a C-class, but those radios may be used across various model lines.

The service information that I read indicated that the envelope icon is only to indicate receipt of the SMS message.

I am surprised that the radio manual no longer has a section on telephones. I believe my Mercedes all have that section in the manual, including the W211 COMAND... guess it saves money!

-s-
Old 10-20-2004, 08:24 PM

scorchie,

Happy 14th birthday, according to your public profile.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: UHI, Phone, Bluetooth, OEM MB Interface Kits, Hands-Free Comms Thread