My car won't move while in DRIVE. FML. - MBWorld.org Forums

Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > C-Class (W203)
My car won't move while in DRIVE. FML. > My car won't move while in DRIVE. FML.
Notices
C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

My car won't move while in DRIVE. FML.

Reply

 
 
Old 08-18-2010, 06:11 PM
  #1
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
edgarinho10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,002
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2013 UFO
My car won't move while in DRIVE. FML.

To make a long story short, I was picking up a friend to go to the movies, got out of the car for a minute to go inside and tell him to hurry up since we were running a bit late. (Car was left on since his sister was outside). When I came back outside literally 30 seconds later my car isn't there. So his sister decided to take it for a joy ride. 15 minutes later she comes back and she has trouble taking the key out of the ignition, so I go over to help her out. Were late already. So we stay inside for about 10 minutes then go back outside because we feel like going to get something to eat. When I get in the car and turn it on, everything was fine, but then I put the car in drive and accelerate, and all of a sudden my baby won't go. I tried turning it off and starting it all over again multiple times but no matter what it wouldn't go. Luckily enough my next door neighbor comes home (certified mechanic), and I go over, explain him the situation to get his input on what it could be. He said that from the sound of things it could be the shifter cable that either ripped/broke or got disconnected. Can anyone corroborate this? I mean I have faith in this mechanic but at the same time I trust the elder and wise from this forum. Please let me know what you think it could possibly be. School starts next week and I'm screwed without a car.

Please and Thank You.
-Edgar
edgarinho10 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:38 PM
  #2
Super Moderator
 
Glyn M Ruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Llandudno, Cape Town, South Africa
Posts: 19,843
Thanked 54 Times in 47 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
You should ask the young lady exactly what she did when driving the car??? One of Benz "limp" modes (limp is a bad explanation in this sense) will not allow you to select anything until the TCU resets. I've achieved this once in my car by selecting reverse before the car had stopped running forward when I was in a hell of a hurry - this is done to protect the transmission. It came right about 10 minutes later after numerous reboots by restarting. I suspect the lady did something stupid with the selector or tried a burnout!!

If it does not come right - check the fluid level in the tranny - the cause of 99% of transmission problems is low fluid.

If you have no luck get it on a flat bed & take it to the dealer to get it on a STAR DAS - They can diagnose & reset the TCU.

Good luck - Apart from fluid level check & reboots this is not DIY.

I hope this is the problem & nothing is broken.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 08-18-2010 at 08:41 PM.
Glyn M Ruck is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:54 PM
  #3
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
jcnash's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,098
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2002 Mercedes Benz C230 Coupe
Another reason why no one but me drives my car...regardless of puppy eyes, offers for things which shall not be mentioned on here, etc...lol. No food allowed in my car either.

Sorry dude..Im sure this doesnt help.

Good luck in getting it fixed though.
jcnash is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 01:01 AM
  #4
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
edgarinho10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,002
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2013 UFO
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck View Post
You should ask the young lady exactly what she did when driving the car??? One of Benz "limp" modes (limp is a bad explanation in this sense) will not allow you to select anything until the TCU resets. I've achieved this once in my car by selecting reverse before the car had stopped running forward when I was in a hell of a hurry - this is done to protect the transmission. It came right about 10 minutes later after numerous reboots by restarting. I suspect the lady did something stupid with the selector or tried a burnout!!

If it does not come right - check the fluid level in the tranny - the cause of 99% of transmission problems is low fluid.

If you have no luck get it on a flat bed & take it to the dealer to get it on a STAR DAS - They can diagnose & reset the TCU.

Good luck - Apart from fluid level check & reboots this is not DIY.

I hope this is the problem & nothing is broken.
I did ask her, but as you can probably guess, she said nothing. How do I check the fluid level in the transmission? And also I can move the shifter from D to R to N to D without having the foot on the brake. Is this normal for such a situation?

Originally Posted by jcnash View Post
Another reason why no one but me drives my car...regardless of puppy eyes, offers for things which shall not be mentioned on here, etc...lol. No food allowed in my car either.

Sorry dude..Im sure this doesnt help.

Good luck in getting it fixed though.
I learned that the hard way. My cousin borrowed my car one night and got drunk, went to go fill it up at the gas station and completely forgot how to turn the car on/off. Ended up twisting the ignition switch all the way around. Ended up costing me $1200. Such bull. But I would consider offers like the ones your mentioning I guess the only thing I can do is keep the key in my pants. Literally. And thanks. I just hope Mr. Glyn is right and its nothing major.
edgarinho10 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:54 AM
  #5
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
slammer111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 1,684
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
2003 C230K Coupe Orion Blue
When the brake is not stepped on, you will not be able to move the stick out of P. When going faster than 10km/h, you will not be able to move stick from D to R or R to D.

I'm with Glyn on thinking your friend's sister tried something stupid. The only time I ever threw error codes on my car was when I tried doing stupid like donuts in a parking lot.
slammer111 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:07 AM
  #6
Super Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Davis (For College)
Posts: 787
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2006 Merc-Benz C280
Originally Posted by slammer111 View Post
When the brake is not stepped on, you will not be able to move the stick out of P. When going faster than 10km/h, you will not be able to move stick from D to R or R to D.

I'm with Glyn on thinking your friend's sister tried something stupid. The only time I ever threw error codes on my car was when I tried doing stupid like donuts in a parking lot.

You can't move the shifter out of P without engaging the brake..
But you can shift from D -> N at any speeds without engaging the brake, I believe.
And you can shift from R -> N at any speeds without engaging the brake as well.

And when you're in N, I believe you can shift from R-N->D or D-N->R, but the D or R won't engage and you won't be able to actually Drive or Reverse, until the rpms of your engine go down to like... under 1.5 or 2krpms

I don't know if I'm being quite clear.
But sometimes when I accidentally shift into Neutral from Drive, and I'm at higher RPMS: 3k+
after engaging back into D
I won't be able to actually D, until the RPMs die back down
And I believe it's the same case when moving the shifter too fast, D-->R, and R-->D
iJimpanzee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:41 AM
  #7
Super Moderator
 
Glyn M Ruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Llandudno, Cape Town, South Africa
Posts: 19,843
Thanked 54 Times in 47 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Originally Posted by edgarinho10 View Post
I did ask her, but as you can probably guess, she said nothing. How do I check the fluid level in the transmission? And also I can move the shifter from D to R to N to D without having the foot on the brake. Is this normal for such a situation?
You need a dealers dipstick for the 722.6 transmission. You can buy them from RMeuropean etc.



Regarding the interlock. This is where cars differ. On SA cars it's all electronic - on Ed,s early Coupe there is a cable that can be adjusted purely for the interlock & not selection. On cars I am accustomed to the EIS, TCU, Brake pedal & interlock are all tied together. It's possible that the interlock has been locked out of play by the TCU. It's a few years back & I can't remember exactly what happened on my car in this regard when I lost selection.

Ed's car was stuck in gear - interlock jammed - If you have the cable you might want to check it

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ght=stuck+gear

Take a look at the brake switch pdf. posted by Johnand & have a look at post #30 where he lists all the interlock & cable pdf.s

Good luck!

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 08-19-2010 at 07:49 AM.
Glyn M Ruck is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:54 PM
  #8
Super Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 818
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
'02 C230 Coupe (Me) '03 SLK320 6MT (Wife)
My guess might be the opposite of Glyn's....R and then drop to D for the burn-out attempt. I've seen some kids try that. You are not having good luck with your car and friends!!!

Regardless, I hope it is an easy fix for you.
MW_ATL is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:02 AM
  #9
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
edgarinho10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,002
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2013 UFO
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck View Post
You need a dealers dipstick for the 722.6 transmission. You can buy them from RMeuropean etc.



Regarding the interlock. This is where cars differ. On SA cars it's all electronic - on Ed,s early Coupe there is a cable that can be adjusted purely for the interlock & not selection. On cars I am accustomed to the EIS, TCU, Brake pedal & interlock are all tied together. It's possible that the interlock has been locked out of play by the TCU. It's a few years back & I can't remember exactly what happened on my car in this regard when I lost selection.

Ed's car was stuck in gear - interlock jammed - If you have the cable you might want to check it

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ght=stuck+gear

Take a look at the brake switch pdf. posted by Johnand & have a look at post #30 where he lists all the interlock & cable pdf.s

Good luck!
Noob question, but where would the dipstick go? And is it really 50+ bucks?!


Originally Posted by MW_ATL View Post
My guess might be the opposite of Glyn's....R and then drop to D for the burn-out attempt. I've seen some kids try that. You are not having good luck with your car and friends!!!

Regardless, I hope it is an easy fix for you.
All I know is that she did something wrong for a fact. You know us teenagers these days have such ideas.

And thank you so much.
And I could use some luck at this point, and if its not that, then money!
edgarinho10 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:57 AM
  #10
Super Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: centennial, CO
Posts: 812
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2003 c240
Originally Posted by edgarinho10 View Post
Noob question, but where would the dipstick go? And is it really 50+ bucks?!
i bought one on ebay for 20 bucks or so. search 722.6 dipstick and you'll find some.
fookoo303 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:47 AM
  #11
Super Moderator
 
Glyn M Ruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Llandudno, Cape Town, South Africa
Posts: 19,843
Thanked 54 Times in 47 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Originally Posted by edgarinho10 View Post
Noob question, but where would the dipstick go? And is it really 50+ bucks?!
You remove the red pin & this cap to access the dipstick tube - left rear of engine looking from front.









https://mbworld.org/forums/attachmen...org-forums.pdf

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 08-20-2010 at 07:52 AM.
Glyn M Ruck is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 04:45 PM
  #12
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
edgarinho10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,002
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2013 UFO
Thank you so much! I ordered the part off ebay and should be here sometime near the end of the week. I hope this is it. I appreciate everybody. And I will keep everyone posted.

Enjoy your weekend people
Last weekend before college!
edgarinho10 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:55 AM
  #13
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
edgarinho10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,002
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2013 UFO
It may sound like a noob question, but how exactly do I measure the transmission fluid in a Mercedes?
edgarinho10 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:59 AM
  #14
Super Moderator
 
Glyn M Ruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Llandudno, Cape Town, South Africa
Posts: 19,843
Thanked 54 Times in 47 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
See the end of splinters post #9 here: Make sure to take it's temperature

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w203/228327-diy-w203-radiator-r-r.html

See this pdf as well

https://mbworld.org/forums/attachmen...org-forums.pdf

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 08-24-2010 at 08:06 AM.
Glyn M Ruck is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:03 PM
  #15
Super Member
 
Javvy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Joisey
Posts: 851
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
07 BMW 530Xi ; 07 C280 4Matic; 05 Toyota Sienna XLE LTD
I hate joy riders, unleash hell on that girl for being irresponsible with other peoples property...............seriously.....WTF...goodluc k with the fix man, I hope and wish that it is not somthing serious..........
Javvy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:30 AM
  #16
Super Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada, eh!
Posts: 904
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
2003 C230 Sports Coupe, Paprika Metallic Red, Auto, Pano, Leather
You should have had that joy-rider charged with auto-theft. She did after all play Grand Theft Auto with your car. Then have your Mercedes dealership fix your car and send her the bill. She pays the bill to fix your car, then charges are dropped,... she doesn't then charges stay.
SunnyRayToronto is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:07 AM
  #17
Super Moderator
 
Glyn M Ruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Llandudno, Cape Town, South Africa
Posts: 19,843
Thanked 54 Times in 47 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Maybe he likes said lady
Glyn M Ruck is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:22 AM
  #18
pcy
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: MA
Posts: 1,090
Thanks: 0
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
'14 ML350, '07 C280, '98 ML320
edgarinho10, why don't you remove the battery negative cable for couple of minutes and reconnect. It won't cost you anything to try that.
pcy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:40 AM
  #19
Super Moderator
 
Glyn M Ruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Llandudno, Cape Town, South Africa
Posts: 19,843
Thanked 54 Times in 47 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
You can do that - Just be careful - no clumsy sparking etc or you can blow a SAM. You will need to resynch everything. You should really disconnect the battery with a quiescent power source but then you will not hard reboot the TCU.

Do NOT disconnect the battery with the key in the ignition!
Glyn M Ruck is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:49 AM
  #20
Senior Member
 
ontmiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mississauga, Ont.
Posts: 283
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2007 C280 4matic Avantgarde
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck View Post
You remove the red pin & this cap to access the dipstick tube - left rear of engine looking from front.




I have hard time to remove red pin. Any tricks?
ontmiss is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 12:27 PM
  #21
Super Moderator
 
Glyn M Ruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Llandudno, Cape Town, South Africa
Posts: 19,843
Thanked 54 Times in 47 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
You are supposed to break it & replace it. Costs about 50 cents. I have never taken one out intact. Maybe there is a trick. I've never tried - always replaced.
Glyn M Ruck is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 12:35 PM
  #22
Senior Member
 
ontmiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mississauga, Ont.
Posts: 283
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2007 C280 4matic Avantgarde
Thanks!
ontmiss is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 05:53 PM
  #23
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
edgarinho10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,002
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2013 UFO
Originally Posted by SunnyRayToronto View Post
You should have had that joy-rider charged with auto-theft. She did after all play Grand Theft Auto with your car. Then have your Mercedes dealership fix your car and send her the bill. She pays the bill to fix your car, then charges are dropped,... she doesn't then charges stay.
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck View Post
Maybe he likes said lady
Lol. She's my best friend's sister, and at the same time kinda like my sister considering I spend alot of time at their house. They only live 3 houses down and I'm always over there watching soccer games. (I don't have cable )

Originally Posted by pcy View Post
edgarinho10, why don't you remove the battery negative cable for couple of minutes and reconnect. It won't cost you anything to try that.
I will have to try that, but first give me your input on the pictures that are to follow....
Attached Thumbnails My car won't move while in DRIVE. FML.-dsc00124.jpg   My car won't move while in DRIVE. FML.-dsc00125.jpg  
edgarinho10 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 07:57 PM
  #24
Super Moderator
 
Glyn M Ruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Llandudno, Cape Town, South Africa
Posts: 19,843
Thanked 54 Times in 47 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Ouch! - your fluid level is below the 25 Deg C mark. Very low. Should be up between the top markings at 80 Deg C. You had better go & get some fluid from the dealer & top up.

See splinter's pics in the link above.

BTW - engine temp is not a good indication of transmission temp.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 08-25-2010 at 08:00 PM.
Glyn M Ruck is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:51 PM
  #25
Super Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada, eh!
Posts: 904
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
2003 C230 Sports Coupe, Paprika Metallic Red, Auto, Pano, Leather
Originally Posted by ontmiss View Post
I have hard time to remove red pin. Any tricks?

Not that I've ever tried it,.... but see how that little RED ATF Tube Lock Pin has a little notch on it close to the bottom end. That notch looks like it notches onto the outer edge of the openning of the transmission dipstick tube hole. So I'm thinking if you use one of those small electronic flat-head screwdriver or even a u-shaped wire clothes hanger to un-notch that little RED ATF Tube Lock Pin from underneath the black cap,... that should do the trick.

It might save yourself 50 cents,... yeah, I'm a cheap-skate,... who drives a Mercedes.

And if it works,... it'll save you a trip to the dealer.
SunnyRayToronto is offline  
Reply With Quote
 
 
 

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Dasauto
Mercedes Vehicles
9
11-24-2015 10:45 PM
decato_P30
Mercedes Vehicles
15
10-12-2015 11:18 AM
Luis Flores
E-Class (W211)
5
09-03-2015 09:24 AM
soolidooli
GL Class (X164)
2
09-02-2015 07:57 AM
rraj
M-Class (W163)
1
08-31-2015 03:42 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:34 AM.


Copyright 2001-2012 InternetBrands, Inc. / MBWorld.org. All Rights Reserved. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: