C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Low Volt on jl amp...help please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230 K Coupe (05)
Low Volt on jl amp...help please

I posted this on the audio forum since that is the most appropriate place but could u guys lend a helping hand too please? Thanks!

G

https://mbworld.org/forums/audio-ele...lt-jl-amp.html
Old 09-15-2010, 07:02 AM
Super Moderator

Received 178 Likes on 145 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
If the battery will start the car & get it running the alternator should take over. I think you might have tripped a protection circuit in the amp that has not reset itself. Try removing power from the amp & then reconnect. If this does not help call the good folk at JL Audio. They are very helpful with their high end audio subs so I'm sure they will help you troubleshoot. They know their product & it will stop a lot of guessing & trial & error. JLA make some of the finest subs out there.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:17 PM

C230 K Coupe (05)
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
If the battery will start the car & get it running the alternator should take over. I think you might have tripped a protection circuit in the amp that has not reset itself. Try removing power from the amp & then reconnect. If this does not help call the good folk at JL Audio. They are very helpful with their high end audio subs so I'm sure they will help you troubleshoot. They know their product & it will stop a lot of guessing & trial & error. JLA make some of the finest subs out there.
Thanks Glyn. I did disconnect all the wires and then reconnected it back to the amp. The problem still ensues...
Old 09-15-2010, 06:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nike Turbo Shox
You need a Power Capacitator.. End of story.

A power capacitator stores power so when you sub hits hard it doesn't take power from else where.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

No Sir! - JL Amplifiers have excellent power supplies. Don't F---k with Caps
Old 09-15-2010, 07:33 PM

C230 K Coupe (05)
No Sir! - JL Amplifiers have excellent power supplies. Don't F---k with Caps

So I shoudnt bother with a capacitor then?

Btw, I will be checking the voltage hopefully today. I will resecure the ground wire again. Hopefully I'll get somewhere.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nike Turbo Shox
The questions is does your sub hit properly and do you lights dim or anything when the subwoofer is about to hit hard? I'll tell you from what I know, if other components of the car loose power when the subwoofer is about to hit, then you need a cap.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator

The JL Power supplies have more than adequate caps built into them. Do nothing that JL don't recommend. If a Sub amp draws enough current to dim your lights with a 100Ah battery then something is not right. Listen to JL Audio only. Car audio guys are the biggest bunch of ******* on the planet. A thinly disguised bunch of hoods like tyre dealers.

If you value your long term hearing then never drive a JL sub into distortion or clipping. Then you are listening too loud & don't really appreciate music anyway.

Then all you need is a ghetto blaster - not decent equipment like JL. Then you can buy Kicker & similar crap.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 09-15-2010 at 09:52 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
you don't need a cap. Your battery is probably dying or you used cheap 4gauge wire and its not really 4 gauge but closer to a 8gauge wire. The alternator in these cars are pretty robust.

My buddy with his civic has a w7 10'' sub and hids and his car is fine. The alternator output in these cars as much higher in comparison to a civic. Its been hot the last few weeks.

Maybe the stock system couldn't handle your AC running full blast and you sub hitting hard, but i doubt it.

I would check the battery first and then check the thickness of the 4guage.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:12 PM

08 E63
I have been installing for over 10 years and have done my fair share of systems ( G's is one of them) and I realized many years ago that caps don't do anything. I have had systems in all my cars and never had a cap in them some say that it fixed the lights dim or that it filtered better bass. I never noticed a change on either.

I have fixed the problem with G it was his ground wire which was loose.

As per lights dimming on our cars a cap won't fix it. I would much rather recommend to add another ground to the batt which can really use one. Specially if running a W7.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:05 AM

C230 K Coupe (05)
thank you guys for all your help. I have been able to resolve the issue. The battery was putting out enough volts (above 12v). After talking to jerry, I just found a new ground spot and that seemed to do the trick.

Temjinx2: I am actually using true 4 gauge wires. Its pretty fat. I payed $100. After reading a lot of posts, I made sure not to cheap out on the wire after dropping $$$ on JL components.

Im not much for bassing the crap out of my car. So I don't have issue of my lights fading.

I was soo happy that my sub was working again that I decided to go wash the car. ahaha

Thanks again all!

G
Old 09-16-2010, 01:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 CLK320 Vert & 2005 CLK55 AMG
Hey G, you got any pics of your setup? Did you just add a sub to the system or change out components too and add other amps?

a w7 with a 1000/1 must be crazy in your coupe!

when i asked my installer about a cap, he basically laughed in my face, well not really but he said they are pretty much a scam...
Old 09-16-2010, 02:06 AM

C230 K Coupe (05)
Originally Posted by ROLLNNN
Hey G, you got any pics of your setup? Did you just add a sub to the system or change out components too and add other amps?

when i asked my installer about a cap, he basically laughed in my face, well not really but he said they are pretty much a scam...
I have a HU (avic Z110bt). The other stock components (tweets and other speakers) hold up pretty well for what I need. And amp is on its lowest setting and it still hits hard. You can feel the bass throughout the range. The best feeling is the really low bass. Never felt/heard them before. Awesome sub!

i'll dig up some pic. I think my buddy took a few of the setup.

Thanks for the 2 cents on the caps.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:23 AM

08 E63

Roland hit me up when ur ready

I still want to try the steering wheel controls
Old 09-16-2010, 02:54 AM

C230 K Coupe (05)

Old 09-16-2010, 03:04 AM

C230 K Coupe (05)
pretty dirty...i know. lol.

since these pic were snapped, I have changed the position of the sub and amp. I rotated it 90 degrees so that the length of the sub is parallel to the back seat. This way, it won't tip over(had that happen couple of times when I took hard turns...yay CO)
Old 09-16-2010, 03:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jreC230
Roland hit me up when ur ready

I still want to try the steering wheel controls
Jerry i actually did my subs already, i used 2 jl 10w3's and the jl xd600/1 in a custom made enclosure..

But i am down to do the steering wheel controls anytime man, seriously anytime, this Sat??? just let me know when you are available
Old 09-16-2010, 03:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G that looks monstrous man. that thing would probably give me a headache
Old 09-16-2010, 12:18 PM

08 E63
Jerry i actually did my subs already, i used 2 jl 10w3's and the jl xd600/1 in a custom made enclosure..

But i am down to do the steering wheel controls anytime man, seriously anytime, this Sat??? just let me know when you are available

I think this sat will work ill call you to make this happen
Old 09-16-2010, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jreC230
I have been installing for over 10 years and have done my fair share of systems ( G's is one of them) and I realized many years ago that caps don't do anything. I have had systems in all my cars and never had a cap in them some say that it fixed the lights dim or that it filtered better bass. I never noticed a change on either.

I have fixed the problem with G it was his ground wire which was loose.

As per lights dimming on our cars a cap won't fix it. I would much rather recommend to add another ground to the batt which can really use one. Specially if running a W7.
Ah! - Good sense at last. Please ignore my comments about car audio guys. You are obviously not one of the thinly disguised hoods that talks endless crap. So a simple good earth fixed the problem - common!

I have been involved closely with high end audio all my life outside my Oilco day job as a sleeping director of Absolute Sound SA (recently closed after 31 years due to the death of the founder).

Car Audio is one area we stopped supporting altogether. It is an industry that talks more nonesense than any other I've experienced on all sides of the pond (lived in the US for many years). Good to find a good guy involved. I've seen more cars damaged by installers than I care to recall.

A motor car is a hostile environment for decent audio but one can do a reasonable job of getting it right. I hope your business thrives.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by hieracity
thank you guys for all your help. I have been able to resolve the issue. The battery was putting out enough volts (above 12v). After talking to jerry, I just found a new ground spot and that seemed to do the trick.

Temjinx2: I am actually using true 4 gauge wires. Its pretty fat. I payed $100. After reading a lot of posts, I made sure not to cheap out on the wire after dropping $$$ on JL components.

Im not much for bassing the crap out of my car. So I don't have issue of my lights fading.

I was soo happy that my sub was working again that I decided to go wash the car. ahaha

Thanks again all!

G
Pleased it's fixed - you have a good car audio guy. I should have jumped on the earth but got sidelined by Cap crap. A poor earth in cars is commonly the cause of trouble - as it is with the big stuff but for different reasons. Agree with J - strap an earth cable back to battery.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:25 PM

C230 K Coupe (05)
Pleased it's fixed - you have a good car audio guy. I should have jumped on the earth but got sidelined by Cap crap. A poor earth in cars is commonly the cause of trouble - as it is with the big stuff but for different reasons. Agree with J - strap an earth cable back to battery.
Say that (cap crap) fast 5 times...i dare ya
lol
Old 09-16-2010, 08:31 PM

C230 K Coupe (05)
G that looks monstrous man. that thing would probably give me a headache
Boom boom POW!!