C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

COMAND 10.25" Screen Upgrades

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-18-2018, 05:47 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
soon-to-be 2018 glc43
Oh ok i was thinking that it was an app that could be downloaded to run in the background and configured for the whole operating system and could work for all apps. Guess not.
The call delay is certainly a big issue if OEM BT for calls can't be used at the same time it's connected to the screens BT adapter. Looks like the USB AUX dongle is the easiest way (only if you could get one that works with your system) to free up the OEM BT for calls. Too bad it's unpredictable as to which USB AUX dongle would work as there's many more fails than successes. Guess i'll hold out a little bit longer...
Old 09-21-2018, 05:06 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes-Benz C400
Hey I was thinking the same thing about an app that would help sync up the A/V. I didn’t realize Kodi had that feature. I’ve also been exploring FM modulation as well, but it’s hard to find a unit that works with a Benz.

If we couls only figure out how to activate the aux port in the w205, then this issues that exists in the Benz OEM system is solved technically, because we could bypass the cars BT system and just use the new units.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:48 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
AMG C43
OBD AUX Activation

Originally Posted by Whurree
Hey I was thinking the same thing about an app that would help sync up the A/V. I didn’t realize Kodi had that feature. I’ve also been exploring FM modulation as well, but it’s hard to find a unit that works with a Benz.

If we couls only figure out how to activate the aux port in the w205, then this issues that exists in the Benz OEM system is solved technically, because we could bypass the cars BT system and just use the new units.
You can get OBD-II activation of AUX in W205. I used similar to below from eBay to enable in my 2017 C43. I didn't need external RCA, as CarPlay proxy box I am using had AUX connection in harness. I have no experience with this seller.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MERCEDES-CO...EAAOSwNRdYBnUC
Old 09-21-2018, 06:50 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes-Benz C400
Originally Posted by jdubya01
You can get OBD-II activation of AUX in W205. I used similar to below from eBay to enable in my 2017 C43. I didn't need external RCA, as CarPlay proxy box I am using had AUX connection in harness. I have no experience with this seller.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MERCEDES-CO...EAAOSwNRdYBnUC

Do you by chance know of anyone videos out of some one that has installed this in a w205 that does not have any existing AUX ports?
Old 09-22-2018, 03:17 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
GLC X253
Hey I got an issue with my 10.25 screen related to the GPS, and that looks like a driver bug: often when going through a tunnel, or sometimes just randomly, the GPS will stop seeing any satellites, forever (or at least for 20mn).
The only way I've found to fix it is to open the Android settings, go in Location, and change the Location mode to WiFi only, wait a sec, then set it back to device or high accuracy. Then the GPS Test app will see the satellites again, and navigation will work again.
Has anyone found a permanent fix for this? Thx.
Old 09-22-2018, 04:28 AM

Received 67 Likes on 60 Posts
E250 AMG Sport Convertible
Can't say I have had that happen. I have has Waze just stop doing route guidance, but that was due to a data drop and it did not pick up when the data signal returned. But exiting Waze and going back in sorted that. The GPS part still worked.
Old 09-27-2018, 02:30 AM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
2015 S205 AMG
Anyone tried to pair a Bluetooth OBDII Diagnostic scanner to the screen, i just cant figure how, or if it is really possible

I want to test this
https://cloud.video.taobao.com/play/...1/49542549.mp4
Old 09-29-2018, 02:20 AM

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
C220D W205 Estate
Should be no problem. Did it in my Ford to an android unit.

Just install Torque and connect.
These OBD2 plugs are cheap on AliE

Last edited by TorbenK; 09-29-2018 at 02:25 AM.
Old 09-29-2018, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by TorbenK
Should be no problem. Did it in my Ford to an android unit.

Just install Torque and connect.
These OBD2 plugs are cheap on AliE

https://youtu.be/irLUImwkKOc
Obviously you haven't done it with this unit. Most of the cheap ODB2 units are blacklisted in the firmware by the supplier on these. Reported it to Chris to get the restriction removed, but had no response from him whatsoever on whether he can get them to do it. Unless the BT name of the adapter starts ODB then it will not show up to pair in either the HU or Torque.

Explained this several times across the threads now. If the manufacturer won't remove the restriction then rooting and doing it yourself is the only real answer. Unless someone finds a compatible unit, but these are usually the $100+ range ones.
The following users liked this post:
sentralfyr (09-29-2018)
Old 09-29-2018, 01:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S205
Originally Posted by Sly_North
Hey I got an issue with my 10.25 screen related to the GPS, and that looks like a driver bug: often when going through a tunnel, or sometimes just randomly, the GPS will stop seeing any satellites, forever (or at least for 20mn).
The only way I've found to fix it is to open the Android settings, go in Location, and change the Location mode to WiFi only, wait a sec, then set it back to device or high accuracy. Then the GPS Test app will see the satellites again, and navigation will work again.
Has anyone found a permanent fix for this? Thx.
Maybe it is related to where you install your GPS receiver?
From my sode, I put it under the cover of the front speaker, and the GPS catches satellites when I go out from a tunnel.
I use waze as well.

Old 09-29-2018, 04:29 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
GLC X253
Originally Posted by zippi
Maybe it is related to where you install your GPS receiver?
From my sode, I put it under the cover of the front speaker, and the GPS catches satellites when I go out from a tunnel.
I use waze as well.
Thx, but no : my GPS reception is excellent, most satellites reception level is in the 30ies, and some in the 40s in GpsTest. The issue came only after a tunnel or randomly after 20mn+.

That last "losing GPS after a while" helped me find a solution that seems to work: it's a quite common bug in Android 6 on lots of smartphones, where the battery saver accidentely kills the GPS reception. And apparently disabling battery optimizations on all GPS related apps&services seems to have solve it.
To do so:
  • Open Android settings,
  • Use the search for battery to open the per app battery optimization (it's hidden from my menu, I had to use the search to open it).
  • Disable everything that seems to be related to GPS, especially some system service with a weird name that I forgot.

Very late edit : it was the antenna placement. It was stuck behind the screen vertically, and the roof was probably hiding it too much. Now that the antenna is placed horizontally and further in the front, all is fine.

Last edited by Sly_North; 10-22-2018 at 12:07 PM.
Old 09-30-2018, 02:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300
Hello
First, thanks for all the sharing in this thread. It is really useful. After digesting all the info, I ordered the latest version(4G RAM + 64G ROM) of this head unit from taobao. Just got it installed on my C300. It took me sometime to find the right resolution of OEM system, after that, it is running great. Then only issue I have is Bluetooth connection. I cannot get it connected to OEM system. Will need to do more troubleshooting tomorrow.

I checked with Rock at carlife, they also have this model available. And had posted new video on

After installation.

3GB memory!?

Firmware version.
Old 09-30-2018, 08:16 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2015 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by IamET
Hello
First, thanks for all the sharing in this thread. It is really useful. After digesting all the info, I ordered the latest version(4G RAM + 64G ROM) of this head unit from taobao. Just got it installed on my C300. It took me sometime to find the right resolution of OEM system, after that, it is running great. Then only issue I have is Bluetooth connection. I cannot get it connected to OEM system. Will need to do more troubleshooting tomorrow.

I checked with Rock at carlife, they also have this model available. And had posted new video on YouTube.

After installation.

3GB memory!?

Firmware version.

Seems like a scam? Other have pointed out how the Android version, that's supposed to be 7, is actually 6.x. They simply hacked it to say 7.0. And now yous is supposed to be 4gb ram but only has 3, or 2.8? Something's fishy. I'd call them out on it and see what they say.
Old 09-30-2018, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Sly_North
Thx, but no : my GPS reception is excellent, most satellites reception level is in the 30ies, and some in the 40s in GpsTest. The issue came only after a tunnel or randomly after 20mn+.

That last "losing GPS after a while" helped me find a solution that seems to work: it's a quite common bug in Android 6 on lots of smartphones, where the battery saver accidentely kills the GPS reception. And apparently disabling battery optimizations on all GPS related apps&services seems to have solve it.
To do so:
  • Open Android settings,
  • Use the search for battery to open the per app battery optimization (it's hidden from my menu, I had to use the search to open it).
  • Disable everything that seems to be related to GPS, especially some system service with a weird name that I forgot.
Not had that happen at all yet. Have had Waze stop the routing when it lost the internet, but the GPS has carried on fine. Just exiting and re-starting Waze sorted that thought.
Old 10-01-2018, 02:38 PM

S205
Hello,

Do you figure out to make "ok Google" works on the head unit?

On my device, the voice match option is locked, so I cannot activate "ok Google" on any screen.

When I start the Google app, the "ok Google" works from the Google search interface... But it will be terrific if it can works from any screen.

Same on your side?
Old 10-02-2018, 05:04 PM

soon-to-be 2018 glc43
Originally Posted by IamET
Hello
First, thanks for all the sharing in this thread. It is really useful. After digesting all the info, I ordered the latest version(4G RAM + 64G ROM) of this head unit from taobao.
Darn i just ordered the 2+32gb version, didn't know a 4+64 already came out. Hope it still works flawlessly and maybe it is upgradable from the inside just like a laptop, but probably not as like most phones all ram and cpu are integrated onto the board.

Last edited by eling23; 10-02-2018 at 05:12 PM.
Old 10-02-2018, 07:00 PM

soon-to-be 2018 glc43
Anyone without the AUX-IN try something like this for their NTG5 system?
https://car-solutions.com/en/aux-mod...5.0-system.php
I looked at their install wiring diagram and instructions and compared it to the back of my headunit and it matches to the corresponding empty slots on the adapter.
The OBDII activator that comes with it seems to activate the AUX menu. Anyone try it?
Old 10-02-2018, 10:43 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2015 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by eling23
Darn i just ordered the 2+32gb version, didn't know a 4+64 already came out. Hope it still works flawlessly and maybe it is upgradable from the inside just like a laptop, but probably not as like most phones all ram and cpu are integrated onto the board.
except a few posts up you can see ithe 4gb one only has 2.8 gb ram. not even 3. looks like a scam, just like it having "android 8.0
Old 10-02-2018, 11:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300
I contacted the seller, but they haven't provided me the answer(long vacation in China). Regardless the scam-like hardware config, it runs smoothly. I have no complaint about it so far. It's too troublesome to ship it back to China so if no significant issue, I will keep it as it is.
Old 10-03-2018, 02:58 PM

S205
I looked at their install wiring diagram and instructions and compared it to the back of my headunit and it matches to the corresponding empty slots on the adapter.
The OBDII activator that comes with it seems to activate the AUX menu. Anyone try it?
It looks promising!
Unfortunately, i cannot give a try. my car model is 2015, and the datasheet of the adapter specifies 2016 and above.
Old 10-04-2018, 04:09 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Mercedes w205
It looks promising!
Unfortunately, i cannot give a try. my car model is 2015, and the datasheet of the adapter specifies 2016 and above.
Same for me, i would love to but mine is from 2014! I don't even know if there would be such a retrofit possibility!
Old 10-04-2018, 06:23 AM

S205
Originally Posted by fgarcor
Same for me, i would love to but mine is from 2014! I don't even know if there would be such a retrofit possibility!
I asked the seller if the adapter can support my car.

His answer:

"Unfortunately this adapter was not tested on C class.
The following item will work
https://car-solutions.com/en/aux-mod...5.5-system.php
"

This module is more expensive and seems to be more tricky to install than the other one. But no OBD upgrade.

i'll wait for the USB adapter i ordered few days ago, an if I still have delayed sound like with the BT one, then I'll think about this module.

Old 10-04-2018, 01:49 PM

S205
Auto activated hotspot with bt

Hello,

just want to share a very cool app that auto activate the Wi-Fi hotspot when the phone is connected with Bluetooth to the car (or any other device, you can choose).

Carspot Wi-Fi

Enjoy!

Last edited by zippi; 10-04-2018 at 03:45 PM.
Old 10-04-2018, 02:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Mercedes w205
I asked the seller if the adapter can support my car.

His answer:

"Unfortunately this adapter was not tested on C class.
The following item will work
https://car-solutions.com/en/aux-mod...5.5-system.php
"

This module is more expensive and seems to be more tricky to install than the other one. But no OBD upgrade.

i'll wait for the USB adapter i ordered few days ago, an if I still have delayed sound like with the BT one, then I'll think about this module.
Thanks for link, it mentions something about the amplifier (optical fiber audio) not being spec conform. Not sure whether it is valid, but I find it to much cable and, yet one more quad lock to plug in the chain for the aux audio.
Please let me know your findings. I was playing today with the embedded bt of the display to connect it directly to the head unit to see if it made any difference. But I wasn't able to connect it.

I am just wondering why I don't have any audio delay if I connect my phone and I do call somebody.

Zippi which adapter are you trying?

Last edited by fgarcor; 10-04-2018 at 02:40 PM.
Old 10-04-2018, 03:36 PM

S205
For now, I use the BT adapter. I'm still waiting for the usb adapter i ordered few days ago.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: COMAND 10.25" Screen Upgrades