Killed Dodge Viper Srt10

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 RRS ; BMW K1200R; 14 E350 ; 14 RRS on order
Killed Dodge Viper Srt10

Okay, I know what you're thinking. If you'd posted this story I'd be calling BS on you right now.
But believe me when I tell you this is exactly how it happened. I wish I had my camera ready.

I was on MacArthur today by the airport. beautiful day.
I pull up at the light next to a relatively new, bright red, convertible (top down) dodge Viper SRT10. guy in the driver seat glances at me at the corner of his eye and looks forward and lets the car roll just a bit from the stop (light still red) to let me know it's on. I rolled a bit to and so did he. So we both started to roll towards the red light at about 1 mph getting ready for the light to turn green and then it happened.

We both floored it at the same time and both got an Excellent jump. I was sure he was going to pull away any second but it never happened. We were neck to neck up to about 45 at which point I put easily 1 car length between us.

Now I know that sounds incredible but I have to say that the car was shifting beautifully today as I had been driving it pretty hard all morning. Another thing was I heard the guy shifting and it didn't sound like he was hitting his peaks. But I beat him fair and square.
Anyway, he pulls next to me and we both roll down the window. First thing out of his mouth: "You gotta give me another chance, tires are cold ...." I said fine lets do it again.

Funny thing is there are two girls in an ML that are now watching the show and were laughing at the guy in Viper for losing to a Sedan. And were looking at my car with amazement. It was freaking priceless (would've been more so if they were hot which they weren't)

Same exact scenario 2nd time but as soon as he fell behind he slowed way down and turned right. I called all my buddies to gloat. I was amazed at how well the car did. Although I am confident that with the right driver that Viper would have smoked me. Gotta love an automatic tranny that can play this hard.
Old 02-24-2007, 07:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW E39
Always drive these cars hard before running. The tranny and throttle control adapts.

Anyways, awesome awesome kill!!
Old 02-24-2007, 07:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by newton22
Always drive these cars hard before running. The tranny and throttle control adapts.

Anyways, awesome awesome kill!!
Thanks man. I am sure the sprintbooster didn't hurt either. The car is a real monster now, one slight touch of the throttle and it jumps like crazy.

I always drive it pretty hard, that's what it was designed to do. No abusive, just hard.
Old 02-24-2007, 07:54 PM

2011 SL550, 2007 CLS63, 2004 X5
Nice Kill! The CLS63 is pretty amazing.
Old 02-24-2007, 07:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good kill story, like people say, anything can happen on the street. Stock SRT10's are capable of 12 flat @ close to 120mph in the 1/4 mile though, so lets not claim that 63's are faster based on this encounter. They are very tricky to drive though....
Old 02-24-2007, 08:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Tuskir
Good kill story, like people say, anything can happen on the street. Stock SRT10's are capable of 12 flat @ close to 120mph in the 1/4 mile though, so lets not claim that 63's are faster based on this encounter. They are very tricky to drive though....
Agreed. I don't know how much to trust my g-timer but I regularly get 12.25 on the 1/4 mile with my 63 and if I push it I might see 12 one day (especially with some better fuel!)

I'd have to agree with you on how hard they are to drive. Looked like the guy was really working in there while I could have easily been looking through my mp3 collection for a good race song.

For an overall great car (sportiness, looks, comfort, power, value, x-factor) you just cannot do better than AMG cars. In each individual department there are cars that do much better but none of them give you the full package.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts
2019 G550. 2018 AMG GT roadster
Viper

Great kill. Having had a Viper I will be the first to admit that I could never get the full potential out of that car. Extremely difficult to drive (slow or fast). My grandmother however can stomp on the gas and run the CLS to most of its potential. These are truly GREAT cars.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by trezaei
Agreed. I don't know how much to trust my g-timer but I regularly get 12.25 on the 1/4 mile with my 63 and if I push it I might see 12 one day (especially with some better fuel!)

I'd have to agree with you on how hard they are to drive. Looked like the guy was really working in there while I could have easily been looking through my mp3 collection for a good race song.

For an overall great car (sportiness, looks, comfort, power, value, x-factor) you just cannot do better than AMG cars. In each individual department there are cars that do much better but none of them give you the full package.
Nice kill! Can we play? I know how to drive, plus mines an Auto like yours I'm in the LA area monthly I'll pm you my phn #

Sean..
Old 02-24-2007, 08:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW E39
Originally Posted by traumadoc
Great kill. Having had a Viper I will be the first to admit that I could never get the full potential out of that car. Extremely difficult to drive (slow or fast). My grandmother however can stomp on the gas and run the CLS to most of its potential. These are truly GREAT cars.
The hear the Vipers don't have traction control, but they do have massive rear rubbers right? What was it, 335s?
Old 02-24-2007, 08:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
The hear the Vipers don't have traction control, but they do have massive rear rubbers right? What was it, 335s?
I'm rollin' 345's I believe stock SRT10 has 345's also.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:49 PM

Vipers have no traction or stability control and are infamous for snap oversteer. I believe that according to statistics, 20% of viper owners crash them their first year.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
CLS 55
Great kill, just curious you say you were rolloing towards the light.. have you tried power braking, another words hold the break with left foot, and throttle on just a little bit, not enough to break traction but enough to realease the brakes quick for a great launch. I've practiced this with the GT2 timer, and thats how I get my 0-60 time down.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Kevin M.
Great kill, just curious you say you were rolloing towards the light.. have you tried power braking, another words hold the break with left foot, and throttle on just a little bit, not enough to break traction but enough to realease the brakes quick for a great launch. I've practiced this with the GT2 timer, and thats how I get my 0-60 time down.
I have never had any luck with power braking. In fact the g-timer desn't like it cause the car moves a bit and I seem to **** off the esp when I do that.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Thericker
Nice kill! Can we play? I know how to drive, plus mines an Auto like yours I'm in the LA area monthly I'll pm you my phn #

Sean..
yeah man, PM me. all in good fun. Unless you're a cop, in which case it's not fun. lol
Old 02-25-2007, 12:41 AM

CLS63 AMG
Great Kill. Did you stay in "D" and did you select "1" gear? I am sure you took off in 1st gear, but what I am hearing from this board is that the 7G starts out in 2nd gear most of the time.

Just to let you guys/gals know, I did place an order on a cls 63 in mid January. It will be here in Mid April. I just convinced my wife to get a GL450 to replace her MDX lease. So, I had to turn in my beloved E55(Lease is up) and now am driving her old MDX. I must admit, that GL450 is awsome. Sometimes I am thinking of cancelling my order and getting another GL. Weird, never thought I would ever say I would turn down a 500hp car. Anyways, the GL450 has greatly exceeded my expectation in quietness and smoothness. I need to get myself back into an amg before I get sucked into the GL forever. I am just concerned that the CLS63 would be too similar to the E55 I had while the GL is all new to me.

Great Kill.
Old 02-25-2007, 01:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW E39
I have never had any luck with power braking. In fact the g-timer desn't like it cause the car moves a bit and I seem to **** off the esp when I do that.
Depress the brake harder. The car should not inch at all. Though, I would think you already have traction issues in a 63, brake torquing may worsen that.
Old 02-25-2007, 02:32 AM

2011 SL550, 2007 CLS63, 2004 X5
Originally Posted by amgbg
I am just concerned that the CLS63 would be too similar to the E55 I had while the GL is all new to me.
I traded in my W211 E55 for the CLS63. The experience is totally different, from the engine to the ride characteristics. Besides, I never really got any looks in my E55, but I seem to get a thumbs up everyday in the CLS63.
Old 02-25-2007, 02:54 AM

02ml500sport/maxima06-6speed
Great Kill. Did you stay in "D" and did you select "1" gear? I am sure you took off in 1st gear, but what I am hearing from this board is that the 7G starts out in 2nd gear most of the time.

Just to let you guys/gals know, I did place an order on a cls 63 in mid January. It will be here in Mid April. I just convinced my wife to get a GL450 to replace her MDX lease. So, I had to turn in my beloved E55(Lease is up) and now am driving her old MDX. I must admit, that GL450 is awsome. Sometimes I am thinking of cancelling my order and getting another GL. Weird, never thought I would ever say I would turn down a 500hp car. Anyways, the GL450 has greatly exceeded my expectation in quietness and smoothness. I need to get myself back into an amg before I get sucked into the GL forever. I am just concerned that the CLS63 would be too similar to the E55 I had while the GL is all new to me.

Great Kill.

UHMmm after my ml i didnt like the Gl at all , my father has a 2002 ml500 with amg kit , the gl seemed like a bus to me sooooo long and bulky , and not as comfortable for a driver .
Old 02-25-2007, 05:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
yeah man, PM me. all in good fun. Unless you're a cop, in which case it's not fun. lol
Me a cop deff all in good fun bro!
Old 02-25-2007, 08:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

STS,FGT,12C,P85D,M4
yea, they can be a handful to drive fast, my Viper and E55 are about the same speedwise, but I feel so much safer and in control when in the E55....

Vipers have no traction or stability control and are infamous for snap oversteer. I believe that according to statistics, 20% of viper owners crash them their first year.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:18 AM

2003 CL55 stage 4 Renntech and 2006 CLS55 AMG
Nice job! Best part is the girls laughing at him.

Same exact scenario 2nd time but as soon as he fell behind he slowed way down and turned right.
I bet he slowed down and turned to the right and raced his a** down to the nearest Mercedes dealership to trade in his car.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:30 PM

Received 131 Likes on 87 Posts
2021 E63S Wagon 2019 S63 AMG Coupé 2015 S Coupé Edition 1 1970 Chevelle LS5
[QUOTE=tkracing;2041592}
I bet he slowed down and turned to the right and raced his a** down to the nearest Mercedes dealership to trade in his car. [/QUOTE]

and get ROBBED on the trade in
Old 02-25-2007, 01:36 PM

old daily driver '07 E63(gone); new dd '14 750xi; 2013 Viper GTS
Okay, I know what you're thinking. If you'd posted this story I'd be calling BS on you right now.
But believe me when I tell you this is exactly how it happened. I wish I had my camera ready.

I was on MacArthur today by the airport. beautiful day.
I pull up at the light next to a relatively new, bright red, convertible (top down) dodge Viper SRT10. guy in the driver seat glances at me at the corner of his eye and looks forward and lets the car roll just a bit from the stop (light still red) to let me know it's on. I rolled a bit to and so did he. So we both started to roll towards the red light at about 1 mph getting ready for the light to turn green and then it happened.

We both floored it at the same time and both got an Excellent jump. I was sure he was going to pull away any second but it never happened. We were neck to neck up to about 45 at which point I put easily 1 car length between us.

Now I know that sounds incredible but I have to say that the car was shifting beautifully today as I had been driving it pretty hard all morning. Another thing was I heard the guy shifting and it didn't sound like he was hitting his peaks. But I beat him fair and square.
Anyway, he pulls next to me and we both roll down the window. First thing out of his mouth: "You gotta give me another chance, tires are cold ...." I said fine lets do it again.

Funny thing is there are two girls in an ML that are now watching the show and were laughing at the guy in Viper for losing to a Sedan. And were looking at my car with amazement. It was freaking priceless (would've been more so if they were hot which they weren't)

Same exact scenario 2nd time but as soon as he fell behind he slowed way down and turned right. I called all my buddies to gloat. I was amazed at how well the car did. Although I am confident that with the right driver that Viper would have smoked me. Gotta love an automatic tranny that can play this hard.
There is no question the 63's are easier to get in and drive fast right from the start. heck it's an auto. But take it from someone who has both. With a competent driver the 63 could never keep up with a Viper. It took me a while to LEARN how to drive the Viper. The race is won or lost in the first 60 feet.
With that said I have run in the high 11's and over 120mph on the stock Michelins. It has 275/35 18 (on 18x10) up front and 345/30 19 (on19x13)out back.
You mentioned it was a brand new car, then the owner was the x-factor in the race. He doesn't know how to drive it .You might say that is stupid you have to learn how to drive the car..well that is the mystique around the Viper.
Men who get weak in the knees need not apply!!
By the way, also love the E63, just finishing the break-in period. Originally wanted the CLS but head room was tight.
Old 02-25-2007, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Great Kill.

Started in 1st not D. And we did a slight roll till the light turned which I am sure helped us both with traction. That's how every race should be, roll together towards the light (1 mph) until it turns.
Old 02-25-2007, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by tkracing
I bet he slowed down and turned to the right and raced his a** down to the nearest Mercedes dealership to trade in his car.
LOL LOL , funny that's the way he headed too.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Killed Dodge Viper Srt10