Low Coolant Warning... 2004 C32

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 02:40 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
... are always a good time.
Low Coolant Warning... 2004 C32

Hello,

Over the past few months I have experienced the "low coolant warning" on my malfunction display. Every 500 miles appx I have to add about 2 cups of water/coolant.

Yes, I have done the MBW search and thank you to all of the key players and posters I pretty much think I know what is going on. It sounds like an Intercooler leak. Yes.. ?

I bought it to the dealership on a previous visit and they did the tranny check and found no contamination. Ok... Now I feel that there are moments that the car just doenst have the same power that I am used too. (although it still is pretty good as I took out this kid in a "set-up" S2000. More on that later"

So the MB is at the dealership now. I am hoping that they will be honest about the findings if it it the IC leaking. Btw... I am not experiencing any low washer fluid indicators.

Oh yes... I failed to mention. My car IS UNDER CPO still.

Miguel

ps; anything I should mention to the service tech. Any advice or heads up from you guys out there? Thanks!
Old 09-01-2009, 02:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Calspeed
Hello,

Over the past few months I have experienced the "low coolant warning" on my malfunction display. Every 500 miles appx I have to add about 2 cups of water/coolant.

Yes, I have done the MBW search and thank you to all of the key players and posters I pretty much think I know what is going on. It sounds like an Intercooler leak. Yes.. ?

I bought it to the dealership on a previous visit and they did the tranny check and found no contamination. Ok... Now I feel that there are moments that the car just doenst have the same power that I am used too. (although it still is pretty good as I took out this kid in a "set-up" S2000. More on that later"

So the MB is at the dealership now. I am hoping that they will be honest about the findings if it it the IC leaking. Btw... I am not experiencing any low washer fluid indicators.

Oh yes... I failed to mention. My car IS UNDER CPO still.

Miguel

ps; anything I should mention to the service tech. Any advice or heads up from you guys out there? Thanks!
so the dealer did a glycol contamination test?

what year is your car? try to find out the manufacture date of your radiator. it might just be starting to go bad.

if you want, you could pop off your intake manifolds and see if there is coolant leaking in there.

your lack of power......is it always lacking? or just sometimes cut out under certain conditions? have you replaced your i/c pump recently? if not (or if not ever), check your service records if you bought it used. if it hasnt been replaced, yours may have gone out and suggest it to your SA as a CEL will NOT come on if it goes bad. i forced my SA to tell his guys to check it b/c he wouldnt believe me....and i was right.....twice
Old 09-01-2009, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by jturkel

what year is your car? try to find out the manufacture date of your radiator. it might just be starting to go bad.

if you want, you could pop off your intake manifolds and see if there is coolant leaking in there.

your lack of power......is it always lacking? or just sometimes cut out under certain conditions? have you replaced your i/c pump recently? if not (or if not ever), check your service records if you bought it used. if it hasnt been replaced, yours may have gone out and suggest it to your SA as a CEL will NOT come on if it goes bad. i forced my SA to tell his guys to check it b/c he wouldnt believe me....and i was right.....twice
Thank you for the responce. I will definitely push the issue. A glycol contamination test was performed a few months ago. It will be done again. Was told that they were going to do a pressure test to try and locate the leak. I responded that a pressure test may come back negative if the leak is located in the intercooler and that they need to spend the time to check the intakes. Was I correct in this assumption?

Thanks for the info and I will follow up with more information on the outcome of my cars repairs.

Miguel
Old 09-05-2009, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2013 C63 AMG P31, 2014 GMC Sierra (6.2)
Sounds like this:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...servoir-2.html
Old 09-05-2009, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by jturkel

MB wont pull off the intakes to check for a leak unless they charge me. But if there is a leak then there is no charge. So, how difficult is it to pull off the intakes? If there is a leak and residue present I just need to photograph it and they will continue with the repair. I have a few months of CPO left. I would like to do this asap.

Thanks.

Miguel ps; btw... what does and doesnt a pressure test indicate?
Old 09-05-2009, 07:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Calspeed
MB wont pull off the intakes to check for a leak unless they charge me. But if there is a leak then there is no charge. So, how difficult is it to pull off the intakes? If there is a leak and residue present I just need to photograph it and they will continue with the repair. I have a few months of CPO left. I would like to do this asap.

Thanks.

Miguel ps; btw... what does and doesnt a pressure test indicate?
intake removal: https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...s-gaskets.html

if you do that, you'll need to reassemble it with new intake manifold gaskets
Old 09-08-2009, 10:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 C32 AMG
Update?

Miguel - any news from your MB shop?

I'm having similar issues getting low coolant warnings every so often pretty much same as yours at 500 miles or so. But I read from other members this is normal for C32's. Can someone clarify this pls? Tks!
Old 09-08-2009, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2002 C32, 2012 S550
Originally Posted by C32dOOd

I'm having similar issues getting low coolant warnings every so often pretty much same as yours at 500 miles or so. But I read from other members this is normal for C32's. Can someone clarify this pls? Tks!
It's not normal for me....knock on wood.

I'd get that checked....Good luck!
Old 09-09-2009, 11:21 AM

C32 AMG - in Pewter
Originally Posted by C32dOOd

Have the car checked for sure. It seems you are loosing between half a litre to a liter coolant every 500 miles (assuming you top up to the black cover every time). The two common issues on this car are:

* bad radiator (coolant leaks into transmission fluid). Test: glycol contamination test on transmission fluid.

* leaky intercooler. Test: visual check on manifold intakes.

Note that coolant pressure test usually does not detect either of these problems. Good luck and let us know the results.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:27 AM

Volvo
If you find your intake runners like this or your intake manifold

Then you have a leaky Intercooler....Its very easy to check... I check every so often