Sponsored by:

Pops and crackles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 07:47 AM

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts
2016 C63S
Originally Posted by ShaneN.
I hate to be "that guy" that asks stuff that might be answered but this thread is long and all over the place. I have a 2017 that I just bought 3 weeks ago and wanted to give it some time to get an impression on the sound and I've come to the conclusion it pretty much has ZERO pops or crackles. On a higher rpm downshift in manual I get one bang-ish sound but never any crackles on downshifts, decel, revving, etc (I'll even attach a video below). The car was low enough mileage where it hadn't even been into a dealership yet for maintenance prior to me purchasing it (which I did first day of ownership), so I assume he had never done any updates. Now, does this talked about update add some pops and crackles or take it away? My friend that is a local MB tech said they've been doing updates to cars that have been making them more quiet and it's actually been pissing off owners, so they've been warning them first that there is no going back. That information seems to differ what I read on here. I have one update/recall that is ecu related that I opted out of during my first service, just wondering if I should have done it or keep avoiding it. It was listed as "1801p54a12 (sab) - perform scn coding in engine control" when I denied it.

This was earlier tonight in sport plus and I also have valve simulators so valves are full open:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SIhDC1jVoA
Sounds like you need the update for your mode year. Mine sounded like this after I got the “bad” update, and then a few months later (about a year ago) the “fix” update came out. Make sure you complain about jerky transmission actions as well as not being able to hear the exhaust. Just complaining about the noise along sometimes won’t get you the update. Also just FYI there is a whole separate thread on the pre 2019 exhaust noise fix
Old 08-16-2019, 09:37 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
C300
Cancelled my 2020 order despite me agreeing to a $1000 non refundable deposit. Picking up a ZL1 instead lol. $1300/month for silent 503hp or $625/month for 650 hp in a lease that isn’t $5 less than the finance payment. Hell yes

Last edited by Frankenswat; 08-16-2019 at 09:41 AM.
Old 08-16-2019, 09:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 399 Likes on 307 Posts
AMG C63s Sedan , AMG C43 , AMG G63 , GLK 250
Originally Posted by Frankenswat
Cancelled my 2020 order despite me agreeing to a $1000 non refundable deposit. Picking up a ZL1 instead lol. $1300/month for silent 503hp or $625/month for 650 hp in a lease. Hell yes
Have fun with that... Not sure if your comparing the C63 with a ZL1 ??

When I used to race, I would have people come up to me, and say I have 600/700 horse power , and I will kick your *** off the line and in the 1/4 etc etc , how about longevity, how long and far can your car go at 75%-100% WOT without blowing up!!
(But I guess if the purpose is to (jump of the line at a redlight and feel good that you made it to the next) then AWESOME) was my normal response.
Old 08-16-2019, 10:00 AM

C300
Not comparing anything. Just sick of the runaround and charades with MB and MB dealers. It’s almost like they don’t want to sell you a car. Top that off with the exhaust and you have me throwing $1000 down the drain but hey, I’ll make
that back after 2 mos of zl1 payments.
Old 08-16-2019, 10:35 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
AMG C63S
Originally Posted by ezatnova
Sounds like you need the update for your mode year. Mine sounded like this after I got the “bad” update, and then a few months later (about a year ago) the “fix” update came out. Make sure you complain about jerky transmission actions as well as not being able to hear the exhaust. Just complaining about the noise along sometimes won’t get you the update. Also just FYI there is a whole separate thread on the pre 2019 exhaust noise fix
You guys should be happy that there are little pops and burbles. My car makes so much exhaust noise, you can’t drive it hard under Sport+ or Race mode without someone complaining about it. Some people and passengers ask if there is something wrong with the car. Also, cold starts are much louder, so even though I’m in my garage, the moment I open the garage door my neighbors are sometime there to complain.

Sometimes I wish they didn’t force the software update on my car. It used to be more silent with only a single bang on downshifts, now it’s like triple pops on upshifting and when I lift off the throttle you get multiple burbles and then single bangs on downshifts.
Old 08-16-2019, 10:52 AM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
2010 BMW M3, 2010 Lancer Evolution X, Incoming 2020 C63S Coupe
Not comparing anything. Just sick of the runaround and charades with MB and MB dealers. It’s almost like they don’t want to sell you a car. Top that off with the exhaust and you have me throwing $1000 down the drain but hey, I’ll make
that back after 2 mos of zl1 payments.
ZL1's a dominator - can't go wrong with that choice
Old 08-16-2019, 05:12 PM

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 e63s edition 1
plz delete, wrong thread.

Last edited by ShaneN.; 08-16-2019 at 07:05 PM.
Old 08-16-2019, 05:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 194 Posts
2021 Mercedes C63s AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by superstarR
You guys should be happy that there are little pops and burbles. My car makes so much exhaust noise, you can’t drive it hard under Sport+ or Race mode without someone complaining about it. Some people and passengers ask if there is something wrong with the car. Also, cold starts are much louder, so even though I’m in my garage, the moment I open the garage door my neighbors are sometime there to complain.

Sometimes I wish they didn’t force the software update on my car. It used to be more silent with only a single bang on downshifts, now it’s like triple pops on upshifting and when I lift off the throttle you get multiple burbles and then single bangs on downshifts.
First time I have ever seen someone complain about this.
The following 2 users liked this post by munis:
cyberorth (08-17-2019), Soubido (08-16-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 07:19 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
'18 C63s Coupe

Old 08-17-2019, 09:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 158 Posts
2018 GT R; Tesla M3P
So now I have Stage 1 OE Tuning and yesterday installed an active sound valve control and the car can finally started to "fart" past 4000 rpm
Old 08-17-2019, 11:10 AM

C300
Suck on dem chocolate salties
Old 08-17-2019, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by JPM-3
Everytime I think of how “bad” my 2020 model is going to sound, I think about how bad the F80/82 and C43 sound, and all seems well again.
As someone that had a '13 W204 C63 for 5 years, the '18 C43 for one, and cross-shopped the F80 M3, I think it's unfair to even lump the C43 in with the F8X lol. The overrun pop in S+ is so loud I can feel it. I get lift-off crackles with the PE even in C, which is just nuts.

It's just a completely different tone. Just like the biturbo V8 sounds neutered to me compared to the 6.2L NA V8, the biturbo V6 just doesn't have that low, thunderous growl and bass that the V8 provides (irrespective of NA or forced induction). I've liked all 3 motors for different reasons.

F8X sounded like a dishwasher on the verge of exploding. Which was a shame because the E9X was glorious.

Anyway, been keeping an eye on this thread because I couldn't get into an LCI C63 sedan in time when I got rid of my W204, but trying to see how this exhaust issue pans out.
Old 08-17-2019, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 684 Likes on 539 Posts
c
Cancelled my 2020 order despite me agreeing to a $1000 non refundable deposit. Picking up a ZL1 instead lol. $1300/month for silent 503hp or $625/month for 650 hp in a lease that isn’t $5 less than the finance payment. Hell yes
non refundable deposit? Sounds you got swindled - never heard of such a thing even on custom ordered cars.
Old 08-17-2019, 04:43 PM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
2019 C63s Coupe

Humble brag.
Old 08-17-2019, 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by alexasa
non refundable deposit? Sounds you got swindled - never heard of such a thing even on custom ordered cars.
It depends. If the dealership requires a customer to sign a deposit contract stating that the consideration tendered is non-refundable, the customer will forfeit the deposit if he cancels the purchase.

Local dealer in my neck of the woods has gone completely off the rails and is requiring a $5k non-refundable deposit for any ordered cars. They are also requiring customers to design deposit contracts.

How these things shake out can vary by state. I would be interested to see someone challenge one of these policies. If, at the end of the day, the specification of the car ordered is similar to other cars that the dealer orders (i.e., it isn't a "stripper" car with low-options or one with an obnoxious color combination), then the dealer should have no problem selling the car off the lot, and retaining the customer's deposit (depending on the amount) could be considered unjust enrichment.

In that situation, it could be argued that the dealer gets a bit of a windfall as a result of the customer canceling his order.
Old 08-17-2019, 10:48 PM

Received 149 Likes on 112 Posts
2017 C63S Coupe
Was heading out and thought why not make the car sing a little in C, S, S+ and Race. You guys think theres a difference in S+ and Race or is it just me? Looking at the video later made me realize that the car wasnt fully warmed up but oh well

Exhaust mods: Secondary cat delete plus ASR module.

Last edited by untamedd; 08-17-2019 at 11:53 PM.
Old 08-18-2019, 12:35 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2014 CLA45 AMG, 2019 C63 S Coupe

Weird flex but ok
Old 08-18-2019, 12:41 PM

Received 147 Likes on 119 Posts
C63s
Originally Posted by untamedd
Was heading out and thought why not make the car sing a little in C, S, S+ and Race. You guys think theres a difference in S+ and Race or is it just me? Looking at the video later made me realize that the car wasnt fully warmed up but oh well

Exhaust mods: Secondary cat delete plus ASR module.

https://vimeo.com/354449376
Yes l think there is actually a difference, Race sounds a bit deeper? ...
Old 08-19-2019, 05:10 AM

Received 131 Likes on 117 Posts
2021 C63S coupe
Update on my car.

The pops and crackles seem to becoming more and more like the pre facelift.

I am beginning me believe that just as RACE START is not available until running in is complete, the facelift has been programmed to reach its full potential as the mileage increases.

This is in line with the running in procedure that requires you to increase RPM and speed gradually after 1000 miles.

I really had a blast yesterday. multiple pops below 4K RPM.
Old 08-19-2019, 02:00 PM

Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts
C63S
I recently got through my break-in period and have been gradually increasing the amount of aggression I'm putting through the car and noticed something interesting yesterday which I'm sure others here have also found on their '19s...

While I hadn't really heard any pops, crackles or burbles driving in S+ either upshifting or downshifting even in higher RPMs - I left it in Manual Mode yesterday and instead of upshifting at 5500RPM I just let my foot off the gas - and I got burbles and two or three whip cracks.

I thought I was hearing things so I did it again. More burbles and a crack here and there. In 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear - accelerating past 3000RPM and then letting off the gas produced burbles every time. Getting it up past 4000 increased their volume and getting up over 5000 added the pops and crackles practically every time I let off the gas. So they're there - you just gotta know how to make it sing. Oh and I got 12.6mpg on my joyride driving like that.
The following users liked this post:
Matteus GLC AMG (08-23-2019)
Old 08-19-2019, 03:52 PM

Received 86 Likes on 57 Posts
c63s
@Uga Uga and @Seis-Tres , how much is MB paying you to say this?? ...and how do I get in on it?
The following users liked this post:
cyberorth (08-20-2019)
Old 08-19-2019, 04:46 PM

Received 131 Likes on 117 Posts
2021 C63S coupe
Originally Posted by mrguitar
@Uga Uga and @Seis-Tres , how much is MB paying you to say this?? ...and how do I get in on it?
Hahahahahhaha

Just PM me I will let you in on it.
On a serious note. It really is true. The car is coming alive as I pile on the mileage
Old 08-19-2019, 05:01 PM

Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts
C63S
Originally Posted by mrguitar
I think the problem is mostly that the sound is not more present more often. But if you had a nice little stretch of road where you can get it up in 2nd or 3rd to 5500-6000rpm and then let off in MM you will pop pop bang bang.

I don't know what effect this has if any but I really tried to break the engine in properly and not just get on it once I hit 1k miles.
Old 08-19-2019, 05:09 PM

Received 89 Likes on 63 Posts
2019 c63s coupe, 2008 s63 sedan, 2007 335i coupe
Originally Posted by Seis-Tres
I think the problem is mostly that the sound is not more present more often. But if you had a nice little stretch of road where you can get it up in 2nd or 3rd to 5500-6000rpm and then let off in MM you will pop pop bang bang.

I don't know what effect this has if any but I really tried to break the engine in properly and not just get on it once I hit 1k miles.

Even Amg's head engine builder told me to get on it once I hit 1000 miles and enjoy the car.. You do not need to wait any longer.

I get the pops and bangs but like you said.. up in the 5-6k rpm range and letting off throttle in MM in race.. often times loud enough to make car alarms go off in the street not just in a garage. That said people used to get that between 3-4 k now I gotta rev it all the way to 5-6k rpm. I do get a quick pop/bang when I change gears.. that's about it.. Regardless I LOVE THIS CAR!!!! Best car I ever owned hands down!!!
Old 08-19-2019, 08:03 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2019 C63S Sedan
Originally Posted by purplewidow
Even Amg's head engine builder told me to get on it once I hit 1000 miles and enjoy the car.. You do not need to wait any longer.

I get the pops and bangs but like you said.. up in the 5-6k rpm range and letting off throttle in MM in race.. often times loud enough to make car alarms go off in the street not just in a garage. That said people used to get that between 3-4 k now I gotta rev it all the way to 5-6k rpm. I do get a quick pop/bang when I change gears.. that's about it.. Regardless I LOVE THIS CAR!!!! Best car I ever owned hands down!!!
Not sure what the difference is in builds, but I get crackles and pops in sport+ and race whenever I let off the gas above 3000rpm

Up to 4-5000 rpm, the cracks and pops get much louder, but at any rpm above 3000, letting off the gas gives me the crackles and pops

This is for the facelift version

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pops and crackles