Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Coupes & Cabriolets > CL-Class (W215)
Replacing ABC with a regular strut or coilover setup >

Replacing ABC with a regular strut or coilover setup

Notices
CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

Replacing ABC with a regular strut or coilover setup

 
Old 12-09-2011, 11:49 AM
  #51  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 190
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CL500
What other exp problems are you referring? it's actually through my bank. $4k for 2 years 20k miles and a $200 deductible. doesnt seem worth it
baekim22 is offline  
Old 12-09-2011, 12:57 PM
  #52  
Super Member
 
1995E320Cab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Del Mar, CA
Posts: 939
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CL600 2005 745Li
Originally Posted by biker349 View Post
i vote for the warranty. you will have many more problems than just the abc which will be expensive. btw, what company are you talking about and how long will the warranty be for?
The question is will the warranty REALLY cover the ABC system and all of its components when it come time to pay ???

1995E320Cab is offline  
Old 12-09-2011, 01:01 PM
  #53  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 190
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CL500
Yes, i sent my policy details to Bruce with Becker. He looked at it and said my extended warranty plan was GREAT covered everything just super expensive. $4k for 2 years 20k miles. he says its better off to save $4k and self insure.
baekim22 is offline  
Old 12-18-2011, 12:27 PM
  #54  
Super Member
 
1995E320Cab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Del Mar, CA
Posts: 939
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CL600 2005 745Li
I have hear some guys are starting to do this, I found this local CL add....

S430 S500 S55 Mercedes Parts***and all others - $1
Date: 2011-12-17, 10:56AM PST
Reply to: [email protected]
S430 S500 S55 and all other Mercedes Benz. We have transmissions 722.6, All body parts, door, AMG bumper, 600 V12 black leather interior, Rear clip, Seat modules, vacuum pump, wood steering wheel, ABC suspension pump, ABC block valves, ABC struts, rebuilt. Complete Conversion kit from the expensive ABC suspension to European coil struts which never fails, all computer including coding, shifter, throttle body, instrument cluster, Crash parts, several cars to choose from, we also have a full line of re-manufactured parts. We service service these cars here!!! (561)305-1315

Link to add

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/pts/2758028679.html

.
1995E320Cab is offline  
Old 12-19-2011, 03:18 PM
  #55  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 190
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CL500
aite i just spoke with the guy in that ad. apparently they're in FL and ship the coil over kit for the CL for $3800 and a return of $1800 for your old struts and parts for rebuilding. So it would cost out of pocket $2000. He said they install in FL for $800 about 8 hours of labor including getting rid of the ABC. I spoke with a guy that has a pretty heavy german accent. he says the cars are already programmed and all they need to do is go in with the star system to change the suspension from ABC to coil over. I guess he said in germany the CL came with coil over kits too not just ABC. They also have all kinds of parts for the S, SL, and CL if you need. Sounds legit anyone wanna be the first guinea pig? LOL i wanted to wait for my ABC to give before i messed with it.

he says there are 3 options one is a chinese made suspension. option 2 is german parts built in the USA. and option 3 is german parts built in germany. I got the quote for option 2. the guy said its pretty much the same crap. he also said option 2 and 3 came with the ability to convert with or without sway bars. i got the quote for with sway bars. sounds almost too good to be true but. he says the car already was built for sway bars so everything is an easy install. apparently did it to his 2001 cl500
baekim22 is offline  
Old 12-19-2011, 03:21 PM
  #56  
Super Member
 
1995E320Cab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Del Mar, CA
Posts: 939
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CL600 2005 745Li
Originally Posted by baekim22 View Post
aite i just spoke with the guy in that ad. apparently they're in FL and ship the coil over kit for the CL for $3800 and a return of $1800 for your old struts and parts for rebuilding. So it would cost out of pocket $2000. He said they install in FL for $800 about 8 hours of labor including getting rid of the ABC. I spoke with a guy that has a pretty heavy german accent. he says the cars are already programmed and all they need to do is go in with the star system to change the suspension from ABC to coil over. I guess he said in germany the CL came with coil over kits too not just ABC. They also have all kinds of parts for the S, SL, and CL if you need. Sounds legit anyone wanna be the first guinea pig? LOL i wanted to wait for my ABC to give before i messed with it.

he says there are 3 options one is a chinese made suspension. option 2 is german parts built in the USA. and option 3 is german parts built in germany. I got the quote for option 2. the guy said its pretty much the same crap. he also said option 2 and 3 came with the ability to convert with or without sway bars. i got the quote for with sway bars. sounds almost too good to be true but. he says the car already was built for sway bars so everything is an easy install. apparently did it to his 2001 cl500
Whats the name of the shop ??

Calling sergs99m3, I know you are doing something like this, what do you think of this ??



.

Last edited by 1995E320Cab; 12-19-2011 at 03:24 PM.
1995E320Cab is offline  
Old 12-19-2011, 03:24 PM
  #57  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 190
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CL500
i think they're called "European Suspensions" He could be lying but he sounds like he's been doing it for a long time. just hasn't been on any forums to know it's been a REAL issue for people
baekim22 is offline  
Old 12-19-2011, 03:37 PM
  #58  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 1,182
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 CLS55 Renntech stage 5, 04 CL600 ( will miss ),02e55 , 11 R350
where are they in Florida , I am in Miami , if they are close I can go and check them out ...
maxwerks is offline  
Old 12-19-2011, 03:39 PM
  #59  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 190
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CL500
believe it's a 561 area code? I have no idea i just called the number on the ad. Figured they weren't in CA so i didn't bother to ask their exact location, just if they shipped or not.
baekim22 is offline  
Old 12-19-2011, 03:47 PM
  #60  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 141
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 CL65 (current), 2001 CL600 (chopped)
No CL (w215), in Europe or USA, ever came with anything other than ABC. Probably just a bunch of parts he put together to make it work. Should probably try to figure out what brand the parts are. The 3-option thing is a common gimmick salespeople use to get you to buy the 2nd or 3rd option. By throwing negative connotation towards the "Chinese" suspension, he tries to steer you towards options 2 or 3, when in fact he probably only has one package labeled 3 different ways.
ch33sehead is offline  
Old 12-19-2011, 03:51 PM
  #61  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 190
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CL500
^lol you're probably right. he said bilstein or the OEM brand that mercedes uses. again cause his heavy accent i couldn't really understand. I just bought my CL like 1 month ago so if someone else with better knowledge can call him and ask the right questions and get back to us, that'd be great!
baekim22 is offline  
Old 12-19-2011, 03:54 PM
  #62  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 141
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 CL65 (current), 2001 CL600 (chopped)
Bilstein is a good brand, but they don't make anything specifically W215, which means this guy has to have it retrofitted, which is hard to do a good job. If anyone's in FL I would probably recommend asking to ride in his car to see how it rides and handles before buying. If OEM there should be a part number, but Mercedes EPC Europe doesn't show anything other than ABC struts.
ch33sehead is offline  
Old 12-19-2011, 04:08 PM
  #63  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 1,182
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 CLS55 Renntech stage 5, 04 CL600 ( will miss ),02e55 , 11 R350
unfortunately I have seen so many snake oil salesmen in FL ! You would think it is the other way around since there are so many great cars here but with that comes a lot of BS ... if he is in FL why is he selling a car in CA Craigslist ? Bilstein NEVER made any coilover parts for the W215! ( AT LEAST NONE THAT I KNOW OF ) , how on earth would anyone be able to adapt a sway bar on a car that never had one ! Sorry .. accent or no accent , I know of no decent techie who would be able to tackle such a project without proper explanation , part numbers , pictures , etc.... this is no different than " I had to be out of town for work but I have the shipping company ready to ship you the car for your inspection and if you dont like it , I will refund your money " crap that is Craiglsist !
maxwerks is offline  
Old 12-19-2011, 04:15 PM
  #64  
Super Member
 
1995E320Cab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Del Mar, CA
Posts: 939
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CL600 2005 745Li
Originally Posted by maxwerks View Post
unfortunately I have seen so many snake oil salesmen in FL ! You would think it is the other way around since there are so many great cars here but with that comes a lot of BS ... if he is in FL why is he selling a car in CA Craigslist ? Bilstein NEVER made any coilover parts for the W215! ( AT LEAST NONE THAT I KNOW OF ) , how on earth would anyone be able to adapt a sway bar on a car that never had one ! Sorry .. accent or no accent , I know of no decent techie who would be able to tackle such a project without proper explanation , part numbers , pictures , etc.... this is no different than " I had to be out of town for work but I have the shipping company ready to ship you the car for your inspection and if you dont like it , I will refund your money " crap that is Craiglsist !
There are guys doing this, ABC to Coil, REAL SHOPS with REAL TALENTED TECHS, I was really just wondering if it was getting more common

Check out this Thread toward the end, Serge (the real deal) in So Cal is starting to do this...

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...art-3-a-5.html

.
1995E320Cab is offline  
Old 12-19-2011, 05:52 PM
  #65  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 190
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CL500
LOL i believe you guys. I don't really have any experience in with this stuff because as I just said i picked up my 2003 cl500 a month ago and i'm already having issues with what was supposed to be a "bullet proof" car except the suspension. but i'm in love with the car and luckily everything was fixed for free by the stealer...anyone else try calling the guy? (561) 305-1315
baekim22 is offline  
Old 12-19-2011, 06:39 PM
  #66  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 1,182
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 CLS55 Renntech stage 5, 04 CL600 ( will miss ),02e55 , 11 R350
Originally Posted by 1995E320Cab View Post
There are guys doing this, ABC to Coil, REAL SHOPS with REAL TALENTED TECHS, I was really just wondering if it was getting more common

Check out this Thread toward the end, Serge (the real deal) in So Cal is starting to do this...

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...art-3-a-5.html

.
I have no doubt that anything can be done give the right tech , time , R&D , to my knowledge Serge has done only a W211 conversion , and from what I heard the Airmatic is easier to do than the ABC .. again I am no expert on the subject .. but reading about what that guy is offering , it seems a bit shady .. I will be glad to call him tomorrow and see if I can get more detail .
speaking with my indie who had quite few inquires regarding that , the hardest part is programming the ECU not to " wonder " where the ABC is , and what to do with the signal coming from the sensors on top of the struts .

I Know there is a gentleman in our group who apparently had done a full conversion on his own , but he hasnt posted the details yet .. judging but what I have read from him , he obviously is quite a techie DIYer ...the work is not for the faint of heart !
maxwerks is offline  
Old 12-19-2011, 07:02 PM
  #67  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 190
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CL500
that'd be great give them a call tomorrow and give us an update!
baekim22 is offline  
Old 12-19-2011, 09:59 PM
  #68  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Western New York, USA
Posts: 192
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 CL500
not sure why everyone's so anxious for this swap out- the ABC suspension is why this car handles so amazing. IMO it's what sets the W215 apart from other cars. The manufacturer claims that this car can make a 90 degree turn at 60 MPH without "significant wheelspin". You gonna do that with your coil springs? I've owned my CL500 for 3 years with no ABC problems or warning lights. The pump was replaced (under warranty) before I bought it. There have been improvements to several of the ABC components- the system can hold up if it's fixed right.
mf219 is offline  
Old 12-19-2011, 10:09 PM
  #69  
Super Member
 
1995E320Cab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Del Mar, CA
Posts: 939
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CL600 2005 745Li
Originally Posted by mf219 View Post
not sure why everyone's so anxious for this swap out- the ABC suspension is why this car handles so amazing. IMO it's what sets the W215 apart from other cars. The manufacturer claims that this car can make a 90 degree turn at 60 MPH without "significant wheelspin". You gonna do that with your coil springs? I've owned my CL500 for 3 years with no ABC problems or warning lights. The pump was replaced (under warranty) before I bought it. There have been improvements to several of the ABC components- the system can hold up if it's fixed right.
Good point, some guys have had issues and big cost so I'm sure that's why.

I always liked the below quote taken from the Car and Driver top line coupe test - 2005 Aston Martin DB9 vs. Bentley Continental GT, Ferrari 612 Scaglietti F1, M-B CL600 ...

"Then there's the semiactive hydraulic suspension. It's a system of sensors and computer-controlled hydraulic rams and shocks at all four corners. It can instantly adjust from cushy soft for soaking up bumps to sports-car stiff to reduce body lean in corners. It's not perfect--some abrupt freeway impacts send jitters through the body--but in general, it works fantastically. The CL digs into corners with a surprising amount of bite and enthusiasm. One tester wrote, "Wow, very impressive in the turns, feels almost as agile and frisky as the Ferrari." The Benz also has a wonderful talent for inhaling large dips and wallops and exhaling mere nudges to the occupants."


http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...mparison-tests

1995E320Cab is offline  
Old 12-19-2011, 10:34 PM
  #70  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 190
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CL500
well personally for me i love the way the car looks. will i ever need to do 60mph going around the corner...short answer is no. I'm not a speed junky. most you catch me going on the freeway is 60 mph haha. id rather not have to spend 4 figures every time i have to take it in for suspension problems. the ride is great but if i can save myself $10 in maintenance during the life of this car...id rather have a little crappier ride. my my opinion
baekim22 is offline  
Old 12-21-2011, 11:06 PM
  #71  
MBworld Guru
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Irvine
Posts: 2,345
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
04 CL55, 05 E500S4, 15 BMW i3 REx
I talked to them and requested pics days ago and have yet to receive any. I am suspicious.
OCKlasse is offline  
Old 12-22-2011, 07:28 AM
  #72  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
saintz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 1,803
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
GL450
I think somewhere earlier in this thread was a question about the ABC pump. The parts catalog shows 2 pump versions, one for active suspension (ABC) and one without. They are both listed as fitting the S600. I don't really know why, but that makes it sound like you can put the non-ABC power steering pump onto the V12, so that is one part down. It also says it fits the CL500, so I'm guessing it would work on the CL55.
saintz is offline  
Old 12-22-2011, 11:10 AM
  #73  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 93
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
12 S550 and 07 SL55
Though I do not care for the Idea of neutering these cars

If you are going to build a kit to handle the ABC to a standard spring/strut system I would keep the lack of sway bars in mind.

The front sway bar would be a minimum requirement in my eyes and I would not want to have to run a spring rate stiff enough to eliminate the need for the sway bars

The Airmatic cars use a different lower control are that has a ball joint that the sway bar links mount to. That would be your first requirement if you want to use a stock S500 sway bar. That also allows you to run a much less expensive lower control arm with a simpler way of attaching the front shock/strut. Remember these cars will still be hard on front control are bushings and ball joints.
Eraser-X is offline  
Old 12-22-2011, 01:51 PM
  #74  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 1,182
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 CLS55 Renntech stage 5, 04 CL600 ( will miss ),02e55 , 11 R350
Originally Posted by OCKlasse View Post
I talked to them and requested pics days ago and have yet to receive any. I am suspicious.
same here !
maxwerks is offline  
Old 12-26-2011, 01:33 PM
  #75  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 190
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CL500
Anybody have any updates?
baekim22 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Replacing ABC with a regular strut or coilover setup


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: