MBworld Guru

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
04 CL55, 05 E500S4, 15 BMW i3 REx
Never heard back from them on my end...
Old 12-18-2012, 10:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
05 cl55
abc

strut master makes a kit for the cl as well as 220 and you can bypass the red abc warning light.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CL 500
Originally Posted by mikecl600
strut master makes a kit for the cl as well as 220 and you can bypass the red abc warning light.
No sway bar with that kit. I think they overreached on the website by including the CLs.

I do most of my own work and have a moonlighting certified dealer Mechanic when I can't. Rebuilt ABC struts are about $500 a piece on Amazon.

The $11k estimates are typical dis-honest dealership crap (many established independents follow suit). One part fails and they want to replace the whole system.

Porsche,Mercedes were built right and built to last. The only time I have had troubles with them. Were after a dishonest or incompetent mechanic or shop has messed them up.

And how many out there know if the dealer-mechanic is shooting straight? Almost none! You have to take their word for it.
A few rotten apples spoil the whole bunch. Hence this poor reputation for breakdown. My .2 cents.

Last edited by MiguelsC2CL; 03-29-2013 at 12:11 AM.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 157 Likes on 136 Posts
2002 CL500 to CL55 conversion
Originally Posted by MiguelsC2CL
No sway bar with that kit. I think they overreached on the website by including the CLs.

I do most of my own work and have a moonlighting certified dealer Mechanic when I can't. Rebuilt ABC struts are about $500 a piece on Amazon.

The $11k estimates are typical dis-honest dealership crap (many established independents follow suit). One part fails and they want to replace the whole system.

Porsche,Mercedes were built right and built to last. The only time I have had troubles with them. Were after a dishonest or incompetent mechanic or shop has messed them up.

And how many out there know if the dealer-mechanic is shooting straight? Almost none! You have to take their word for it.
A few rotten apples spoil the whole bunch. Hence this poor reputation for breakdown. My .2 cents.
my strutmasters system works fine even without the sway bars. ive had none of my passengers notice the change of suspension. slamming on the brakes at 130 is not a problem nor taking circular on ramps at 65 mph. even the stiffness of the springs is not an issue despite the fact that im riding on 20 inch rims with 1 inch thick tires. i had my pump go out at 70k miles and when i took a closer look at it, i noticed that the pump had already been changed once before in the cars life. seeing how i managed to put 30k miles on my CL in one year that basically equates to a new abc pump once a year!! not to mention valve blocks, accumulators and tens of hoses that can rupture at any time. the abc system is great, when it works right. i hated the paranoid feeling of knowing the abc system was bound to fail at any given time away from home. but at least when the abc system did take a ****, i cant say i wasn't already expecting it!!

edit: considering how often the abc components fail, i consider it bad advice to tell anyone to replace anything without using genuine OEM parts. unless the rebuilt components are supposedly built with better materials or coming with a warranty as a rebuilt item is probably going to fail before the OEM therefore equating to higher overall cost of ownership. my advice is, spend 1200 one time and never worry about the suspension again for the life of the car! if you search my name you will find i found a way to get around the red abc light on the dashboard for the conversion by removing ABC related fuses. DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THE MODULE STRUTMASTERS SELLS TO GET RID OF ABC ERRORS

Last edited by ctravis595; 04-11-2013 at 10:22 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:25 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
S55K AMG
ctravis595 - Any information on where you purchased your system from and any price guidance?

My ABC pump has been replaced once in its lifetime aswell, according to the paperwork it was around the 70,000 mile mark. Just yesterday the car hit 130,000 miles, so its probably nearly time something let go.

Just like yourself, i too want to be prepared should the worst happen.

And just so that we're all on the same page, this is a conversion of the hydraulic suspension system we're talking about, not the airmatic one?
Old 04-12-2013, 06:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i don't know about the s class, but yes strutmasters system for the 215 chassis indeed replaces the HYDRAULICS, there was never an airmatic option for the cl...

don't purchase the warning light module as you can get rid of it with some fuses. but the coilovers should be anywhere from 1100-1400 bucks. they are bilstien shocks and the sheer size of the springs look like they belong on a huge ford pick up truck which is why i think they don't need a sway bar. handles similar to the abc system over terrain but the car no longer remains completely flat through hard turns
Old 04-12-2013, 06:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

handles just liek any other 4000 lb car with coilovers. im not sure why everybody thinks the CL is a special car in that its a lot heavier than any other car on conventional suspension.....

edit: yes we are driving some top of the line cars from a prestigious brand, but they are just that at the end of the day - just cars...

Last edited by ctravis595; 04-12-2013 at 06:38 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:37 PM

S55K AMG
Originally Posted by ctravis595
i don't know about the s class, but yes strutmasters system for the 215 chassis indeed replaces the HYDRAULICS, there was never an airmatic option for the cl...

don't purchase the warning light module as you can get rid of it with some fuses. but the coilovers should be anywhere from 1100-1400 bucks. they are bilstien shocks and the sheer size of the springs look like they belong on a huge ford pick up truck which is why i think they don't need a sway bar. handles similar to the abc system over terrain but the car no longer remains completely flat through hard turns
I didnt mean to sound ignorant, but Arnott Industries also offers a coilover conversion kit for the S class, however, its ONLY for cars with airmatic, NOT the hydraulic suspension. I didnt want to end up with the same problem.

I spoke to strutmasters earlier today and they were 100% sure it would be a direct replacement for the ABC hydraulic suspension, remove the red ABC warning light and it would fit my European spec S55. The price that i was given was $1600, but if i can save myself $200 on that by not requiring the module to remove the red warning light then even better. Although im in the UK i thought shipping and handling was a bit steep at just over $500.

Iv just been watching the installation videos on the S55 on their website, but i thought the springs looked quite normal. The person i spoke to at strutmasters though the lack of sway bar WOULD be a problem in their opinion, but then said something about "look at s430 sway bars end links and lower control arms".

I dont really notice the car staying flat during cornering, but i guess if it did it might give a more real feeling of what the car was doing, which i suppose could only be better.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,001 Likes on 808 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Handling would surely suffer without sway bars but the increased reliability without the ABC would be priceless. The only real weak spot on the CL is the ABC. Sure, the 600's have coil pack problems and a few other small issues but the updated coil packs seem to fix the other major issue.

Can you make it handle better without the ABC? Yes! Just look at the SL65 Black series. NO ABC!!!!! It will require some big sway bars but it can be done.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:18 PM

S55K AMG
Originally Posted by BlownV8
Can you make it handle better without the ABC? Yes! Just look at the SL65 Black series. NO ABC!!!!! It will require some big sway bars but it can be done.
But where do you get them sway bars from?

And my biggest problem would be that the car would go back to factory ride height, as you can see i think she looks rather sexy low down.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by w4sim
I didnt mean to sound ignorant, but Arnott Industries also offers a coilover conversion kit for the S class, however, its ONLY for cars with airmatic, NOT the hydraulic suspension. I didnt want to end up with the same problem.

I spoke to strutmasters earlier today and they were 100% sure it would be a direct replacement for the ABC hydraulic suspension, remove the red ABC warning light and it would fit my European spec S55. The price that i was given was $1600, but if i can save myself $200 on that by not requiring the module to remove the red warning light then even better. Although im in the UK i thought shipping and handling was a bit steep at just over $500.

Iv just been watching the installation videos on the S55 on their website, but i thought the springs looked quite normal. The person i spoke to at strutmasters though the lack of sway bar WOULD be a problem in their opinion, but then said something about "look at s430 sway bars end links and lower control arms".

I dont really notice the car staying flat during cornering, but i guess if it did it might give a more real feeling of what the car was doing, which i suppose could only be better.
watch some videos of some w215's doing some driving along with other cars through turns. youll notice the benz seems to hug the road evenly through corners where as most cars will sag on the side where the weight is being shifted.

that price for shipping is ridiculous (although ive never dealt with shipping overseas) they shipped mine for under 100 USD i believe. but im in the states

i can't speak for the s class but my cl handles great without the sway bars. i've had passengers who drive e39 m3's worried about how fast im taking turns because they claim their car wouldn't hug the ground as much and would lose control if that gives you an idea. minor rubbing on the plastic in the back but as i've stated elsewhere i believe that's because of my staggered 20 inch rims
Old 04-12-2013, 09:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Handling would surely suffer without sway bars but the increased reliability without the ABC would be priceless. The only real weak spot on the CL is the ABC. Sure, the 600's have coil pack problems and a few other small issues but the updated coil packs seem to fix the other major issue.

my point exactly, top of the line sls amg's are coming with coilovers.

i do understand your worry about losing your low ride height. as it's the main thing i dislike about doing my coil over conversion. however it's just like any other suspension in that if you want to shell out bucks to alter your suspension then you can do so. not necessarily as easy as altering some settings in SDS but that goes without saying
Old 04-12-2013, 10:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,001 Likes on 808 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Sounds like they need an adjustable coil over set-up.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:33 PM

S55K AMG
Sounds like they need an adjustable coil over set-up.
Now theres an idea id go crazy about.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:41 PM

S55K AMG
Originally Posted by ctravis595

that price for shipping is ridiculous (although ive never dealt with shipping overseas) they shipped mine for under 100 USD i believe. but im in the states

Iv just got several quotes for shipping 4 struts and springs from the UK to the USA and the average quote is about $200

So why on earth is it nearly 3 times more expensive to send the same thing from there to here!!!!! For just over $500 i can probably come over there and pick them up myself.

Having said that though, if i can figure out a way to lower the car and/or something serious goes bang then i might just have to do that anyway.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:13 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
MERCEDES-BENZ CL-CLASS
Originally Posted by w4sim

The person i spoke to at strutmasters though the lack of sway bar WOULD be a problem in their opinion, but then said something about "look at s430 sway bars end links and lower control arms".

Arnott looked at creating the Coil Spring Conversion Kit for the ABC but the sway bar issue was a deal breaker and we didn't move further.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

an adjustable coil over option would be awesome!! the sway bar looks like it could be designed with minimal modification (bolt on basically. i hope someone would look into developing the sway bars
Old 08-23-2013, 03:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R230
ABC to coilovers for R230

ok I just have to open an account after reading everything on this thread, greetings to all mb owners, this is my first post so please bare with me.

I'm a Canadian but moved to Hong Kong a decade ago, I had a 2002 CL600 before, and now I drive a 2003 SL55. Both have had major ABC problems, and I have been looking for a solution for it for past year, until I came to this thread.

From what I read here, there are 3 suppliers that can/may fix the ABC problem:

1) the youzealand kit?http://www.youzealand.net/list/mercedes/sl.html

2) the Arnott kit?
https://www.arnottindustries.com/par...ENZ_yid18.html

3) the Strutmaster kit?
http://www.strutmasters.com/Mercedes...nz-sl500-4.htm

Youzealand is all Japanese, don't understand a thing on that site.

Seems like Arnott doesn't have a perfect solution for it, all they have is an 'enhanced' version of the ABC shocks.

Strutmaster claims to have a easy install bolt on coilovers kit for the ABC but it listed it's for SL500.

So my question is... has anyone tried any of these?
It's working for you?
How was the installation?
What price you got it for?
Where are you located?
Which model is your car?

any answers will be great and I am sure anyone that is still following this thread will very well appreciate it. I am sure the ABC is a love and hate relationship for everyone.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:49 PM

W215 CL500, Ducati 999, Ducati Superlight, W123 V8 Coupe, Yamaha FZR1000, Alfa 166
Hi, I don't know if the same thing is applicable on the CL600 but I have converted a CL500 to conventional coils etc without much trouble. I used a strutmaster conversion kit that was reasonably priced and excellent quality and easy to fit. I was then having problems with the tandem pump as my return routing of the plumbing didn't work due to the huge pressure this pump produces. I solved this but replacing the whole pump with a standard W220 S500 unit. Bolts straight in and no problems since. As for the error messages ... the strutmaster kit comes with a little black box that disables most of them. Removing the right fuse gets rid of the rest. The only residual error lights I have are the ride height button on the centre console and the sport setting button .... they are both looking for, or trying to activate, things that are no longer there. The absence of sway bars is no real problem and ultimately I plan to fit, at least a front one, from an S500.

The CL's are a magnificent car. Persevere, they are worth it.

Currently working on getting my shifter sorted (nothing to do with the suspension).

Good luck.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:30 PM

R230
R230 coilovers conversion

so the strutmaster works for yours then, hmm.... maybe i should contact them and see if they have one for the SL55.

Does the sensor for the ride height eats your battery? Since they keep going on and off.

Are you located in HK? Just curious because your name has HK on it.

Originally Posted by hktrenair
Hi, I don't know if the same thing is applicable on the CL600 but I have converted a CL500 to conventional coils etc without much trouble. I used a strutmaster conversion kit that was reasonably priced and excellent quality and easy to fit. I was then having problems with the tandem pump as my return routing of the plumbing didn't work due to the huge pressure this pump produces. I solved this but replacing the whole pump with a standard W220 S500 unit. Bolts straight in and no problems since. As for the error messages ... the strutmaster kit comes with a little black box that disables most of them. Removing the right fuse gets rid of the rest. The only residual error lights I have are the ride height button on the centre console and the sport setting button .... they are both looking for, or trying to activate, things that are no longer there. The absence of sway bars is no real problem and ultimately I plan to fit, at least a front one, from an S500.

The CL's are a magnificent car. Persevere, they are worth it.

Currently working on getting my shifter sorted (nothing to do with the suspension).

Good luck.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:01 AM

W215 CL500, Ducati 999, Ducati Superlight, W123 V8 Coupe, Yamaha FZR1000, Alfa 166
Hi, the blinking lights for "ride height" and "sport" setting don't drain the battery because they go off when the car is turned off and the key is removed. Sorry, I am not in Hong Kong, the "HK" stands for Helen and Kim.

Good luck with your CL.

Cheers
Old 08-26-2013, 03:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 328 Likes on 265 Posts
2006 S600
Originally Posted by arnottdoug
Arnott looked at creating the Coil Spring Conversion Kit for the ABC but the sway bar issue was a deal breaker and we didn't move further.
That's the most sensible comment I've seen.

I can't believe people are serious about replacing ABC with coil overs. Even the lever ratio on the front track arms is wrong.

With Airmatic cars, the sway bars probably contribute half of the roll stiffness.

ABC is definitely maintainable - look at Howards' (haoz129) seminal thread:

https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...2003-s600.html
Old 08-26-2013, 04:39 AM

Hi, the last post is right, the ABC system is very good and ultimately maintainable but the cost is frightening. When mine died I was quoted $6,000 a corner to replace / fix the problem ... in short, $24,000 to fix the car. Not being that rich I had to come up with another solution, hence the coil overs, yep the ABC is better but the coil overs are more than adequate. Fixing the ABC is more than the car is worth. Now, once I have the shifter fixed (another little CL foible) I will be back to having a rock solid road rocket, my CL is a supercharged Lorinser version and puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.

Great car, once you have kicked the bugs out of it.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:06 PM

R230
replacing ABC

by all means, I like the ABC, it feels nice when I drive my cars, it's just a pain in the butt to fix and maintain, and in order for me to keep the car, I have to find a way/solution to fix this problem.

Cars that I had with ABC : 2003 S55, 2002 CL600, 2003 SL55 (current)

I have prob fixed over 10 ABC problems in the past... 5 years, it cost average 5k each time, thats 50k in 5 years, thats 10k a year, thats average $800 bux a month JUST on ABC maintenance.

I feel stupid to consider to get rid of it, but i feel MB do hold responsibility for making me consider it too LOL

Originally Posted by Welwynnick
That's the most sensible comment I've seen.

I can't believe people are serious about replacing ABC with coil overs. Even the lever ratio on the front track arms is wrong.

With Airmatic cars, the sway bars probably contribute half of the roll stiffness.

ABC is definitely maintainable - look at Howards' (haoz129) seminal thread:

https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...2003-s600.html
Old 08-26-2013, 11:09 PM

R230
Noted, reason I ask about the sensor is because my CL600 had the left front and rear ABC deflating while the car is parked, and apparently the sensor keeps turning on and try to inflate it back up but ofcourse it can't due to leakage. So it drains the battery and it killed my trunk battery.

was the strutmaster kit bolt on? how long was the labor?

Originally Posted by hktrenair
Hi, the blinking lights for "ride height" and "sport" setting don't drain the battery because they go off when the car is turned off and the key is removed. Sorry, I am not in Hong Kong, the "HK" stands for Helen and Kim.

Good luck with your CL.

Cheers

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Replacing ABC with a regular strut or coilover setup