MB bluetec lawsuit in USA

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2022, 01:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,384 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Originally Posted by gooregi
I dropped off my E350 at local dealer on Aug 19. I just got a message from my dealer that they are too busy and cannot handle my case until first week of Oct. I am wondering what that means? Technically, AEM is available by Oct 1, 2022, it is the dealer who doesn't have the bandwidth to work on the recall. Shall I reach out to the MBUSA or the settlement contact?
AEM does not have expiration date, filing for cash settlement does.
But the settlement has a provision for extending Oct deadline.
Old 09-05-2022, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E350 Bluetec
It turns out my reservations about the AEM had been justified. The engine lost substantial amount of oil while the car was parked in my garage for a few days (picture attached). Total miles driven since the dealer messed with the engine? A whopping 33, all city driving, short distance. There is NO mention of any oil leaks in the dealer paperwork, and my engine did not leak at all for months prior to the AEM surgery. Should I go back to the dealer, assuming they would try claiming innocence? Or better directly to MBUSA?

Thanks for advice!

Put a piece of cardboard underneath to protect the garage floor. The snapshot is on Day 4.

Last edited by yuril; 09-05-2022 at 06:28 PM.
Old 09-05-2022, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by yuril
It turns out my reservations about the AEM had been justified. The engine lost substantial amount of oil while the carl was parked in my garage for a few days (picture attached). Total miles driven since the dealer messed with the engine? A whopping 33, all city driving, short distance. There is NO mention of any oil leaks in the dealer paperwork, and my engine did not leak at all for months prior to the AEM surgery. Should I go back to the dealer, assuming they would try claiming innocence? Or better directly to MBUSA?

Thanks for advice!

Put a piece of cardboard underneath to protect the garage floor. The snapshot is on Day 4.
First try to determinate where is oil leak. When lot of things can indicate that dealer messes something up, sometimes **** happens.
I had similar dilemma, when I had air bag code reset by my friend in his shop. When I left his shop and made U-turn on highway, the CEL come on and engine went into safe mode, what I did not notice right away as it was still giving about 80% of the power.
I drove it home and only there, having scanner I check that MAF gave up at that very moment. Did I say that sometimes **** happens?
Old 09-06-2022, 03:43 PM

Received 319 Likes on 248 Posts
2023 EQB 350 & 2014 GL350
Originally Posted by yuril
There is NO mention of any oil leaks in the dealer paperwork, and my engine did not leak at all for months prior to the AEM surgery. Should I go back to the dealer, assuming they would try claiming innocence? Or better directly to MBUSA?
Start with the dealer. The first thing MBUSA will ask is, "Did you return to the dealer?"
Old 09-07-2022, 03:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 E350 Bluetec
I dropped off my car at dealer and requested for oil cooler & seal replacement along with the AEM recall. I got a call today and the mechanist suggests that I need to replace radiator (~$2,000) and vacuum pump (~1,000) plus a transmission service (~$700). I do have a bad engine oil leak problem (sometimes white smoke will come from the front hood), but I don't have other issue with my car. I am wondering whether it is worth to replace radiator and vacuum pump. Could some problem with radiator and vacuum pump lead to oil leak and white smoke? Note: I plan to sell my E350 next year after my new car is delivered.

Last edited by gooregi; 09-10-2022 at 11:29 PM.
Old 09-07-2022, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Vacuum pump might need new gasket, what should not cost more than $10, so what are your DIY skills?
Spending $2000 on radiator without pinpointing the leak makes not much sense to me. Can very easy be water pump.
If you plan to visit dealer and come back with estimate below $8000, you better change the brand.
The following users liked this post:
yuril (09-26-2022)
Old 09-07-2022, 06:01 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
R350
I dropped off my car at dealer and requested for oil cooler & seal replacement along with the AEM recall. I got a call today and the mechanist suggests that I need to replace radiator (~$2,000) and vacuum pump (~1,000) plus a transmission service (~$700). I do have a bad engine oil leak problem (sometimes white smoke will come from the front hood), but I don't have other issue with my car. I am wondering whether it is worth to replace radiator and vacuum pump. Could some problem with radiator and vacuum pump lead to oil leak and white smoke? Note: I plan to sell my E350 next year after my new car is delivered.

Here is the video I received from dealer:https://youtu.be/-RZ5zJ70Y24
I'm not mechanic, my suggestion below is just based on my experience as a car owner: dealer tell you that coolant leak is a minor leak.

Correct?

If I was told so, and see the evidence of the leak. I will ask the dealer: is the coolant level down? And can this related to the oil cooler seal?

​​​​If the coolant level is normal, then the leak is truly minor.
I will reject the dealer's suggestions to replace the radiator. And stop by an auto parts store to buy something from Lucas to stop coolant leaks.

If the coolant level is very low, I will ask whether there is a deep discount. If not, ask an independent shop to do it. Should be at least 30% cheaper.
Old 09-07-2022, 06:19 PM

2013 E350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by kajtek1
Vacuum pump might need new gasket, what should not cost more than $10, so what are your DIY skills?
Spending $2000 on radiator without pinpointing the leak makes not much sense to me. Can very easy be water pump.
If you plan to visit dealer and come back with estimate below $8000, you better change the brand.
Thanks for your reply. I am very limited in terms of auto DIY (cannot do things other than replacing auto battery). I prefer not to do anything that is solely preventative. If vacuum pump or radiator is close to the end of its lifecycle or broken, will I see some symptoms first? Will that be the same amount of work if I decide to do the replacement later? This time, I requested for the oil cooler and oil cooler seal replacement because I will spend much more if I choose to do the replacement separately (vs doing it along with AEM recall). I am not sure whether that will be the same thing for vacuum pump and radiator.
Old 09-07-2022, 06:52 PM

2013 E350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Steven Gu
I'm not mechanic, my suggestion below is just based on my experience as a car owner: dealer tell you that coolant leak is a minor leak.

Correct?

If I was told so, and see the evidence of the leak. I will ask the dealer: is the coolant level down? And can this related to the oil cooler seal?

​​​​If the coolant level is normal, then the leak is truly minor.
I will reject the dealer's suggestions to replace the radiator. And stop by an auto parts store to buy something from Lucas to stop coolant leaks.

If the coolant level is very low, I will ask whether there is a deep discount. If not, ask an independent shop to do it. Should be at least 30% cheaper.
Thanks. The coolant level was never mentioned by my previous regular service, and I didn't check that part before dropping off the car. I assume coolant leak will lead to some drop in blue/green/yellow, which I haven't seen so far.

What do you mean by "buy something from Lucas to stop coolant leaks"?
Old 09-07-2022, 10:14 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
R350
Thanks. The coolant level was never mentioned by my previous regular service, and I didn't check that part before dropping off the car. I assume coolant leak will lead to some drop in blue/green/yellow, which I haven't seen so far.

What do you mean by "buy something from Lucas to stop coolant leaks"?
Just Google coolant leak stopper
Old 09-07-2022, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 793 Likes on 545 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
That "coolant leak stopper" is probably one of the easiest ways to completely destroy your motor.
The following users liked this post:
yuril (09-26-2022)
Old 09-08-2022, 09:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ML 350
Smile

Originally Posted by davidbr93
Picked mine up Friday. No new CEL since then. According to dealer, metering valve on def had to be replaced.
Quick update. No CELs since we picked it up after having the metering valve replaced about 2 weeks back. Went on 7:5 hour trip last week and happy to report is gas mileage averaged almost 31 mpg. We have never seen much over 28 on highway trips. Averaged about 75mph. Pretty happy with the results so far.
Old 09-08-2022, 12:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by davidbr93
Quick update. No CELs since we picked it up after having the metering valve replaced about 2 weeks back. Went on 7:5 hour trip last week and happy to report is gas mileage averaged almost 31 mpg. We have never seen much over 28 on highway trips. Averaged about 75mph. Pretty happy with the results so far.
How did you measure mpg?
Single fill for mpg calculation is inadequate as small, not visible to human eye tilt of pump pad will leave air bubble.
Also there are lot of factors that affect mpg, where biggest is the speed and air speed.
When I drive Sprinter, I always set CC to the same speed, yet calculated mpg comes with up to 20% variations. That is due to heavy winds I often have on deserts.
You reported DEF system work, who is emission system, having no effect on engine work.
Old 09-09-2022, 10:09 PM

GL350
AEM has been a godsend for me...

Bought 2015 GL350 used from a local VW dealer July 21, had AEM performed Aug 19, 21 - submitted claim on Aug 25, 21 and just received claim check on Sept 6, 22

Since AEM:
Jan 22 - Replaced Timing Belt - covered by AEM
Jan 22 - Replaced Low Pressure Fuel Hose - not covered
May 22 - Replaced clean air line \ mass air sensor - did work myself since I assumed it was not covered since not listed in covered components
Aug 22 - Replaced EGR - covered by AEM
Sep 22 - Replaced Right Charge Air Intake Hose. Covered by AEM (I was surprised this was covered since not specifically mentioned in covered components list)
This was interesting because it was giving me a Mass Air Sensor error code and behavior was similar to sensor failure (but worse) - no acceleration, would not shift. Acted like Limp Mode. I took it in because that was the only way I could have gotten warranty coverage on the Air Intake line I purchased in last May.

Love the car - but it is in the shop quite a bit since purchased! AEM warranty has been a godsend. Also - my local MB dealer service dept has been great and diesel mechanic seems quite knowledgeable.

Marty - Walnut Creek, CA

Old 09-09-2022, 10:45 PM

2013 E350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by MartyRL
Bought 2015 GL350 used from a local VW dealer July 21, had AEM performed Aug 19, 21 - submitted claim on Aug 25, 21 and just received claim check on Sept 6, 22

Since AEM:
May 22 - Replaced clean air line \ mass air sensor - did work myself since I assumed it was not covered since not listed in covered components
Sep 22 - Replaced Right Charge Air Intake Hose. Covered by AEM (I was surprised this was covered since not specifically mentioned in covered components list)
This was interesting because it was giving me a Mass Air Sensor error code and behavior was similar to sensor failure (but worse) - no acceleration, would not shift. Acted like Limp Mode. I took it in because that was the only way I could have gotten warranty coverage on the Air Intake line I purchased in last May.

Love the car - but it is in the shop quite a bit since purchased! AEM warranty has been a godsend. Also - my local MB dealer service dept has been great and diesel mechanic seems quite knowledgeable.

Marty - Walnut Creek, CA
Marty, how did you claim the replacement of timing belt? Did you experience any issue before requesting for the replacement?
Old 09-09-2022, 11:26 PM

Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts
2014 Cummins, 2014 E250 Bluetec
Originally Posted by MartyRL

Since AEM:

Marty - Walnut Creek, CA
Timing chain or assecory belt (one on front of engine)?
Old 09-10-2022, 12:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Kind of strange statements since MB is not using timing belts.
What do you smoke Marty?
I know those dealers. MB of WC used to be good, but still diesels are not that common in the area.
MB of Oakland per my experience is much better with diesels.

Last edited by kajtek1; 09-10-2022 at 12:05 AM.
Old 09-10-2022, 01:15 AM

GL350
Yes - Obviously timing chain. Started making rattling sound on cold start. MB measured tension, out of spec and did replacement under the warranty.
So far I have no complaints on diesel service. I suspect it depends on the mechanic they have in house at the time.

-Marty
Old 09-13-2022, 12:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ML 350
Originally Posted by kajtek1
How did you measure mpg?
Single fill for mpg calculation is inadequate as small, not visible to human eye tilt of pump pad will leave air bubble.
Also there are lot of factors that affect mpg, where biggest is the speed and air speed.
When I drive Sprinter, I always set CC to the same speed, yet calculated mpg comes with up to 20% variations. That is due to heavy winds I often have on deserts.
You reported DEF system work, who is emission system, having no effect on engine work.
The mpg is being reported by the vehicle 'since reset', which I'm pretty sure is when the service work was done. It reported 1400 miles and 30.9 mpg. I've never seen much above 28. The miles check out since I took a trip of 500 miles each way about a week back. No clue if these onboard mpg calcs are accurate. Our avg speed was I'd guess around 70 while on the highway. I doubt the DEF has anything to do with mpg bump. It failed after they did the recall install and was covered (both times - DEF Heater and metering valve). Hopefully the good mileage keeps up.
Old 09-13-2022, 11:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
ML320
Originally Posted by 2010C-class
I just found this thread and I’m very happy I found someone who actually understands what is going on. We have a sprinter which was affected, did the recall and opted in for the settlement.

Many people are quick to think that mercedes pulled the same s*** VW did by purposely cheating the tests with defeat devices and deceiving the public, which is not true. Mercedes vehicles for the most part, met emissions requirements and only turned off the emissions system in cold temperatures, like gas cars as you mentioned! If I’m not mistaken, the EPA actually never found any defeat devices with similar purpose as VW’s.

It is my opinion that when people saw the success of the VW scandal and the lawsuits, they jumped all over it with Mercedes for the cold temperature shut off. With this logic we should recall most gas cars!
​​​​​​

Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC Clean Air Act Civil Settlement

(Washington, DC) – The Department of Justice, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), and the California Air Resources Board (CARB) have resolved a civil enforcement case against Daimler AG and It's, they installed cheat software.

Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC (collectively, “Daimler”). This settlement, filed on September 14, 2020 and entered by the Court on March 9, 2021 (the “Effective Date” of the agreement), resolves violations of the Clean Air Act and California law based on Daimler’s cheating on emission tests and failing to disclose unlawful defeat devices in approximately 250,000 diesel vehicles sold or leased in the United States.

Source: https://www.epa.gov/enforcement/daim...vil-settlement
Old 09-15-2022, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I am not a lawyer, but for me "settlement" means the sides come to agreement without judge decision.
Meaning whatever MB was accused for, it was not proven.
MB per my understanding admitted that his advertisement promised more, than vehicles deliver and that is why it is paying.
If somebody have seen any proof that MB did cheat on EPA, I would like to see actual numbers quoted?
Old 09-15-2022, 09:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,067 Likes on 856 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Daimler fined nearly $1 billion for selling cars that cheated emissions tests - The Verge

Why Mercedes-Benz Is Being Sued For Diesel-Emissions Cheating— Again (forbes.com)

Mercedes-Benz Cheated on Diesel Emissions for Years, DOJ Says - Bloomberg
Old 09-15-2022, 10:13 PM

Those all pretty much say what K said above. Suits against, mb denied and settled. Its total garbage imho. They hate diesel passenger cars in the US and love money. The epa is ran by those same people along with carb. Didnt see the epa pay a dime when they screwed up royally and caused actual major environmental disaster.

considering my om651 got 44.5 mpg over 560miles commuting this week and in 2014 gas passenger vehicles many of them getting 22mph straight highway via the vs test makes no sense to me.
Old 09-15-2022, 11:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,067 Likes on 856 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350

MB does not admit fault. They fight every lawsuit with their every being. MB is either forced into action or they settle if they feel it will be cheaper than the alternative. If these lawsuits did not have merit, they would not settle. They are a global corporation to make money - I get it.
Old 09-15-2022, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by BlownV8
MB does not admit fault. They fight every lawsuit with their every being. MB is either forced into action or they settle if they feel it will be cheaper than the alternative. If these lawsuits did not have merit, they would not settle. They are a global corporation to make money - I get it.
True but what does that say about the epa and other money hungry organizations that sued them. They didnt have to settle either but figured it was a good enough payout to not fight them in court. There are only two things they were after, money, and ridding the us of diesel passenger cars. They got what they wanted on both counts.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: MB bluetec lawsuit in USA