E-Class (W214) 2024 -

Mercedes-Benz Unveils the 6th-Generation W214 E-Class

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2023 | 08:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Roweraay
The current E-class E450 Wagon/All-terrain starts at 71,250 USD. Once options are added, it will quickly ramp upto the $100K mark. Typical configurations available at the dealers, are in the $85K+ mark, from what I’ve seen.

The E-class Sedan starts at 56,750 USD.

That’s a 14,500 $ spread right there, base-to-base……or the wagon starts at almost 26% more than the E-sedan.
You are comparing apples and oranges - sedan to All-terrain. They are not comparable vehicles targeted at different types of buyers.
Old 08-03-2023 | 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by JTK44
Not according to this report: 38% come from transportation:

see: https://www.cbo.gov/publication/58861
Again, that is ALL transportation. Regardless of source or year, my point stands that personal vehicle emissions are far less than the 30% you stated, especially when you consider cars alone (seeing as we are in the W213 forum discussing the W214 in this thread).

And your link indicates 33% of CO2 is from electric power generation, vs 25% from the EPA graph. Not a great selling point for EVs.

Buy what you want. But do research, know the sources, and be mindful of their motivation before making personal sacrifices.
Old 08-03-2023 | 01:52 PM

GLC EQB GLS C300 convertible
wow the non-amg line grille and amg line grille look the same
Old 08-03-2023 | 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Originally Posted by ILoveNY
wow the non-amg line grille and amg line grille look the same
They are. The only difference is the lower bumper. US will get AMG-Line standard. Only other grill is the Exclusive/Luxury-Line with the stand up star, of course not in the US though.
Old 08-03-2023 | 04:08 PM
Wig

W213, C238
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by js_cls
Only other grill is the Exclusive/Luxury-Line with the stand up star, of course not in the US though.
Many of us hope that you are wrong, JS!
The following users liked this post:
bellavance (08-18-2023)
Old 08-03-2023 | 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Originally Posted by Wig
Many of us hope that you are wrong, JS!
We can always hope, but I’m afraid that horse is dead. Luckily the AMG-Line this generation looks fantastic, especially compared to the W213.
Old 08-03-2023 | 04:33 PM
Wig

W213, C238
We can always hope, but I’m afraid that horse is dead. Luckily the AMG-Line this generation looks fantastic, especially compared to the W213.
Your avatar is exactly the look some of us want!
Old 08-05-2023 | 09:36 AM

W213 E450
Originally Posted by ua549
I'll phrase it differently. There are a few minimum features that define a luxury sedan such as premium leather soft seating, color and materials choices, ... The E class has most of the luxury features except for seating and limited choices. The E class has taxi cab hard seats that border on the uncomfortable especially after a long period of time. After all, the E class is primarily used as a taxi throughout Europe and Africa. IMO the hard seats make the E class semi-lux. Put the S class seats in the E class and I would consider it a luxury model.
I currently have a 2022 E450 with multi contour seats and mb-Tex. I previously had a 2017 Bmw 530 with multi contour seats and Napa leather.

Ignoring the differences in materials, the BMW seat was a lot more comfortable than the Mercedes. There was slightly more cushioning so it didn’t feel rock hard like the MB, and the side bolsters were contoured so they would grip lower in the torso vs the MB that tightens up right on my ribs and feels uncomfortable.

As far as the material, the Napa does look and feel significantly more luxurious and expensive than the MB Tex, but it doesn’t really affect comfort. The shape of the seat and the cushioning are a lot more important than choice in materials. I do like MB Tex, but I’ll probably go back to a semi-aniline leather for my next car. I just miss the extra bit of refinement.

The controls on the BMW were also much better. Physical buttons on the side of the seat for all functions. When I touch any button, it showed a picture on the nav screen illustrating exactly which part of the seat that button adjusted. In the Benz, some controls are on the door panel, others you need to go into layers and layers of menus. It’s a disjointed mess.

Last edited by ssquared30; 08-05-2023 at 09:38 AM.
Old 08-05-2023 | 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 E300
Originally Posted by ssquared30
I currently have a 2022 E450 with multi contour seats and mb-Tex. I previously had a 2017 Bmw 530 with multi contour seats and Napa leather.

Ignoring the differences in materials, the BMW seat was a lot more comfortable than the Mercedes. There was slightly more cushioning so it didn’t feel rock hard like the MB, and the side bolsters were contoured so they would grip lower in the torso vs the MB that tightens up right on my ribs and feels uncomfortable.

As far as the material, the Napa does look and feel significantly more luxurious and expensive than the MB Tex, but it doesn’t really affect comfort. The shape of the seat and the cushioning are a lot more important than choice in materials. I do like MB Tex, but I’ll probably go back to a semi-aniline leather for my next car. I just miss the extra bit of refinement.

The controls on the BMW were also much better. Physical buttons on the side of the seat for all functions. When I touch any button, it showed a picture on the nav screen illustrating exactly which part of the seat that button adjusted. In the Benz, some controls are on the door panel, others you need to go into layers and layers of menus. It’s a disjointed mess.
I had the same seats in a earlier BWM 535i, they were the most comfortable and supportive seats in any mid-size car I have sat in. Those Beamer multi-contour seats are the gold standard in mid size cars and the same seat they put in the 7 series. The E should really use the S class’ seat for an upgrade option in the E in my opinion.
Old 08-06-2023 | 12:57 PM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by The G Man
This shiny, piano-black type trim are around the front grille as well. Personally, I think the black surround on the front grille cheapen the look of a otherwise very nice looking front end, kind of look like a raccoon’s eyes.
You mean trash panda? I seen those a lot. Speaking of panda.... you get the idea.
Old 08-07-2023 | 03:18 PM

I might have missed this in earlier discussion. Any chance the plug in hybrid version will make its way to US?
Old 08-07-2023 | 04:35 PM

2005 E55 Sedan
They are. The only difference is the lower bumper. US will get AMG-Line standard. Only other grill is the Exclusive/Luxury-Line with the stand up star, of course not in the US though.
Are there any publications from Mercedes regarding the Luxury-Line in the U.S. other than the rumors? The M-B USA website had a Luxury Line in the background of one of the AMG-line photos. (I assumed they would not include that if it were not available. Likely just global marketing photos that are used in multiple countries I'm thinking, unfortunately.) I hate to see M-B adopting the heavy screen controlled interior with less and less buttons. And the fake exhausts on the AMG-line are truly horrible. I like the looks of it otherwise, but the negatives outweigh the positives in my opinion.
Old 08-07-2023 | 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Originally Posted by E55Florida
Are there any publications from Mercedes regarding the Luxury-Line in the U.S. other than the rumors? The M-B USA website had a Luxury Line in the background of one of the AMG-line photos. (I assumed they would not include that if it were not available. Likely just global marketing photos that are used in multiple countries I'm thinking, unfortunately.) I hate to see M-B adopting the heavy screen controlled interior with less and less buttons. And the fake exhausts on the AMG-line are truly horrible. I like the looks of it otherwise, but the negatives outweigh the positives in my opinion.
Zero publications of Luxury-Line in the US. I have heard zero rumors as well, the only people who think it has a chance in the US are some forum members. AMG-Line has been said to be standard in the US in reviews/publications during MB press events. As for the screen heavy interior, that's pretty much unavoidable regardless of brand these days, buttons are out. The fake exhausts is definitely not something I like, but it doesn't bother me too much on a run of the mill E-Class, I'd care more on an AMG model.
E55Florida (08-08-2023)
Old 08-08-2023 | 11:48 AM

2022 E450 All-Terrain
Bigger and bigger screens are what the market is being driven towards, and Mercedes is just answering that push, to not be left behind. Unfortunately.

Fake exhausts are a pet peeve of mine, but due to whatever reason, Mercedes seems to be adamantly pushing that asinine concept, across ALL of their products, including GLC, E-class, the GLE etc. They got repeatedly panned for it in the prior generation, and out they come with the same thing, in the new generation. Either their product designers are not listening to the feedback from testers and consumers, or they are truly asleep at the switch.
Old 08-08-2023 | 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Bigger and bigger screens are what the market is being driven towards, and Mercedes is just answering that push, to not be left behind. Unfortunately.

Fake exhausts are a pet peeve of mine, but due to whatever reason, Mercedes seems to be adamantly pushing that asinine concept, across ALL of their products, including GLC, E-class, the GLE etc. They got repeatedly panned for it in the prior generation, and out they come with the same thing, in the new generation. Either their product designers are not listening to the feedback from testers and consumers, or they are truly asleep at the switch.
Or maybe again, we the forums are the minority. The majority of everyday Joe E-Class buyers likely complained about the exhaust tips being dirty all the time, and the solution was fake exhaust tips which don't get dirty by gas and pollutants. Audi does the same things on their vehicles, as do a number of other brands. Its similar to what BMW did with their steering, they sell to the mass market just like MB, and while the enthusiasts love steering feel and heavier BMW steering of the 90's and 00's, the majority complained that the steering was too heavy and tiresome and had too much feedback. Guess which side BMW listened to more...
Old 08-08-2023 | 02:10 PM

2018 E400 4matic Wagon
Does anyone have an idea as to when prices for the 2024 E-class and dealer ordering guide will be released?
Old 08-08-2023 | 03:20 PM

2005 E55 Sedan

At the very least, you would think M-B would have the forethought to include duplicate hard button controls, along with the screen functions, for things like climate control switches. I too, have a hard time thinking anyone in the target market for a traditional mid-size upper-market sedan these days, particularly a relatively conservative E-class audience would LIKE the fake exhausts. I think they are truly asleep at the switch like you say... To not even offer a way around it is more frustrating. What are they thinking?? The backtracking rumors about V8's returning the C63/E63 give me some hope things might turn back around.
Old 08-08-2023 | 04:01 PM

2022 E450 All-Terrain
Originally Posted by E55Florida
At the very least, you would think M-B would have the forethought to include duplicate hard button controls, along with the screen functions, for things like climate control switches. I too, have a hard time thinking anyone in the target market for a traditional mid-size upper-market sedan these days, particularly a relatively conservative E-class audience would LIKE the fake exhausts. I think they are truly asleep at the switch like you say... To not even offer a way around it is more frustrating. What are they thinking?? The backtracking rumors about V8's returning the C63/E63 give me some hope things might turn back around.
I believe the E63 is returning, since we only have to look at the GLE, for what will happen on the E-class. The 2024 GLE 450 is an exact match of the new 214 E-class power/torque ratings (slight bump-up over the 2023 ratings). For the GLE 350, they introduced the mild-hybrid……exactly what will appear on the 214 E350. The GLE 63 has returned, with the 600+HP V8 etc, and so an E63 can certainly be expected to arrive with a V8…..nothing is set in stone of course, but this gives some strong indications of what’s coming.
Old 08-14-2023 | 10:56 AM

2021 E350W4
Red face Controls

I'd pay an extra $3000 for more buttons, toggles, and levers, like a W212 but with slightly larger screens with the same W213-W214 functions and the lever for DISTRONIX.
MichaelinChicag (08-14-2023)
Old 08-14-2023 | 02:38 PM

2022 E450 All-Terrain
Originally Posted by Holtgraver
I'd pay an extra $3000 for more buttons, toggles, and levers, like a W212 but with slightly larger screens with the same W213-W214 functions and the lever for DISTRONIX.
I doubt any new product that’s introduced, from here on out, will include more buttons/toggles/levers. Expecting to have them in newer products is setting yourself up for disappointment. We will see more of the Haptic Touch type controls, replacing the buttons/switches in future products.
Old 08-17-2023 | 12:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
W/S214 Euro Configurator is Now Available

E-Class Sedan German Configurator
E-Class Wagon German Configurator

The following 2 users liked this post by js_cls:
Diesel Benz (08-17-2023), giovane (08-17-2023)
Old 08-17-2023 | 01:22 PM

2012 W221 S63, 2016 W166 GLE350d
Originally Posted by JTK44
They are competitively priced vs. each other, but very, very expensive. That is like saying as compared to a Rolls a Maybach is competitively priced. OMG at that price range everything is overpriced!

As to the EQE + EQE SUV being semi-luxury and not luxury, I disagree.

That is like saying the present E Class as compared to the S is not a luxury model.

This is truly a "First World Problem": For the rest of the world the E Class is considered the pinnacle of luxury only outdone by the very much higher priced (and significantly larger) S, BMW 7, Audi 8, Rolls and Bentley.

Most of us do not need the room of those big cars nor do we have chauffeur to drive them: For 99.5% of those who want a sedan as opposed to a SUV, the E Class and EQE are the definition of luxury.
The EQE and EQE SUV are definitely not luxurious in my opinion, especially not with the hard plastic door cards carried over from the W206 C Class; my god is it cheap, and definitely not acceptable for the price. The last time E Class and luxury belonged in the same sentence sailed when the W211 days were over, where you could get a real Designo interior with extended leather surfaces everywhere.

Nowadays, a E is more like a C with slightly more room and marginally better materials, that's about it. The jump to an S is much more significant.

I have Individual Full Merino on my 7 and it's a big jump over a standard 7 nappa interior as nearly every surface is covered in aniline leather including the lower door bins, lower dash, etc. Even inside the door bins and handles are lined with leather. However, the Individual wood trim, even though BMW claims that it's finished with the same methods as the trims used in Rolls Royces, still feels hollow when you knock on it. There's still a level of cheapness when you consider all things in it and I wouldn't classify this as a luxury vehicle either, but it's more inline as a "mass production upscale vehicle". I don't find hollow sounding materials to be luxurious.

Heck, I even find my W221 with a standard nappa interior to be more luxurious even though all the stitched areas other than the seats are in MB Tex instead of nappa leather as it's just so solid. I don't like the plastic lower door bins. The designo exclusive nappa interiors in the W221's were truly sublime for the price category especially if paired with a leather headliner, and simply incomparable to the exclusive nappa in the W222 and of course the W223, which is just not good.
Old 08-17-2023 | 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
E

Originally Posted by 5634MG
The EQE and EQE SUV are definitely not luxurious in my opinion .
Have you actually been inside or driven either the EQE or the EQE SUV?

As posted I have and I think both are luxury vehicles.
Old 08-17-2023 | 01:50 PM

2023 C Class
Only one diesel engine available so far?
Old 08-17-2023 | 02:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Originally Posted by giovane
Only one diesel engine available so far?
At the moment yes. Perhaps more engines will come later, although it appears the intro models, as per the euro press release are the 200, 220d, 300e, and 400e. US of course will be 350 and 450.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mercedes-Benz Unveils the 6th-Generation W214 E-Class