GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Dealer won't cover blind spot assist problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 08:06 PM

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts
2017 GLC 300
Dealer won't cover blind spot assist problem

I got a Blind Spot Assist Inoperative message the other day, and sure enough, the red warning triangles failed to light up when they should have - both sides - so I took it into the dealer first chance and here's the invoice, verbatim:

"... Performed quick test. Faults in both rear radar sensors with communication to right front door module. Fault in RF door module for output for lamp of blind spot assist warning. Removed RF mirror glass to check wiring. Found excessive resistance in warning LED. Removed and replaced glass housing with integrated LED to remedy."

The dealer, saying that it is a glass problem and glass is not covered under warranty, charged me $415. But it looks to me from this description that the problem is in the sensors and wiring, which are under warranty; the glass is merely where the warning LEDs reside. There is no internal or external (as in collision) damage to any of these parts.

I haven't seen the actual assembly and if I did I might change my mind, but so far it looks pretty clear to me that it is an electrical problem and should be covered under warranty.

What say you? I'd like to hear from some knowledgeable people before I take it to MBUSA. Thanks
Old 10-09-2018, 08:53 PM

Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts
16 GLC 19 Volvo XC40 06Corvette Z06
I'd say your dealing with a crappy dealer.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 994 Likes on 766 Posts
2003 CL 600
Should be warranty if there is no damage.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:33 PM

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
2018 GLC300 4matic SUV
This is nonsense and indicates a bad dealer. That's like saying your battery isn't covered because it has water in it, and water is not covered by the warranty.

The part that failed (component with integrated blind spot LED) is covered by the warranty. If they push back, get a detailed written statement (demand it if you are forced to) from the dealer's warranty manager explaining why they declined to honor the warranty on this specific part. Then escalate to MBUSA for an apology and reimbursement.
The following users liked this post:
ChinaBob (10-10-2018)
Old 10-10-2018, 12:55 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 GLC300 4matic
I anin't "Knowledgeable" about MB,. I have owned my MY2019 GLC300 for 3 days
But here's what the warranty says in the ITEMS NOT COVERED section:
DAMAGE TO GLASS: Glass breakage or scratches are not covered unless positive physical proof of a manufacturing defect can be established.

Your description doesn't mention your glass being broken or scratched so I don't understand why your.vehicle's operational failure is not covered.

Keep pushing back/fighting.

Old 10-10-2018, 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 160 Likes on 151 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
This should have been covered. I would escalate to the service director at the dealership as well as MBUSA.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:45 PM

Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts
16 GLC 19 Volvo XC40 06Corvette Z06
Originally Posted by dieseldoc
This should have been covered. I would escalate to the service director at the dealership as well as MBUSA.
+1
Old 10-12-2018, 06:22 PM

2017 GLC 300
Got a call from the dealership this morning. They agree that it should be covered under warranty but MBUSA won't budge so the dealer is reimbursing me for it out of pocket.

I wonder if it had anything to do with the negative review I gave the dealer over this issue on dealerrater.com? Hmmmmm
Old 10-12-2018, 06:32 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 GLC300 4matic
Good for you!!
But scary that the dealer says MBUSA won't pay? I have owned a MY2019 for only 7 days and was thinking about buying the extended warranty. I read I can buy it within 30 days of purchase. Now I'm not sure I want to deal with MBUSA for an additional three years....
Old 10-12-2018, 06:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by ChinaBob
Got a call from the dealership this morning. They agree that it should be covered under warranty but MBUSA won't budge so the dealer is reimbursing me for it out of pocket.

I wonder if it had anything to do with the negative review I gave the dealer over this issue on dealerrater.com? Hmmmmm
I think they messed up on the warranty claim or something, in which case they can't re-submit and it's easier for them to just eat it. There's no way that it would not be covered, I've replaced mirror glass before for BSA light faults, always under warranty unless the customer hit something and broke the glass obviously.
The following 2 users liked this post by ItalianJoe1:
ChinaBob (10-12-2018), fred9x (10-12-2018)
Old 10-12-2018, 07:14 PM

2017 GLC 300
One further note on this that might have made a difference, though it shouldn't have.

I drive a lot of miles and intentionally bought a CPO because of the unlimited-mileage CPO warranty, which, at least in this instance, reads exactly the same as the new car warranty. The car has almost 62,000 miles on it and this was my first claim under CPO. They didn't say so, but they may have balked because of the high mileage. If that's the case, they're going to have to get used to it. I also bought the 2-year extension, which means that it's under warranty until January of 2024, by which time the car will have over 200,000 miles on it.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
One further note on this that might have made a difference, though it shouldn't have.

I drive a lot of miles and intentionally bought a CPO because of the unlimited-mileage CPO warranty, which, at least in this instance, reads exactly the same as the new car warranty. The car has almost 62,000 miles on it and this was my first claim under CPO. They didn't say so, but they may have balked because of the high mileage. If that's the case, they're going to have to get used to it. I also bought the 2-year extension, which means that it's under warranty until January of 2024, by which time the car will have over 200,000 miles on it.
Ahh wait. CPO isn't the same as original warranty. They have to run the coverage on the failed part using a damage code for whatever the failure was, and it may not be covered. There are a lot of things that are not covered in CPO that would be in factory warranty.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:08 PM

2017 GLC 300
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
There are a lot of things that are not covered in CPO that would be in factory warranty.
Like what? I haven't delved into it too much, but from what I've read so far, the CPO coverage is identical to the original factory warranty. I'd be interested to know what surprises might be down the road for me.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
Like what? I haven't delved into it too much, but from what I've read so far, the CPO coverage is identical to the original factory warranty. I'd be interested to know what surprises might be down the road for me.
Hard to say, but we run coverage on everything that is failed on a CPO car. Things like light sources, trim, almost always are not covered on CPO. There are also different levels of CPO, Base, Total, and then there's ELW you purchase, they go from lowest to highest coverage it seems.

I'm not a warranty admin, so I'm not sure where the policies are laid out, I just know we have to check every time that something is covered before assuming it will be under warranty just because it has CPO or extended warranty, where with the original 4/50, as long as it isn't outside influence damage, it's covered.
The following users liked this post:
ChinaBob (10-13-2018)
Old 10-13-2018, 06:20 PM

2017 GLC 300
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
Hard to say, but we run coverage on everything that is failed on a CPO car. Things like light sources, trim, almost always are not covered on CPO. There are also different levels of CPO, Base, Total, and then there's ELW you purchase, they go from lowest to highest coverage it seems.
Thanks for the info - this is helpful. It looks like I may be facing closer scrutiny on warranty claims from now on.

Can you say more about "different levels of CPO, Base, Total" and "ELW ... they go from lowest to highest coverage"? In both cases I got the MB warranties. The CPO is automatic when you buy a (slightly) used car from an authorized MB dealer; the extended warranty also came though the dealer. In other words, it is not a 3rd party warranty.

This seems to be confirmed by my Mercedes Me app and the MBUSA website which show my
Warranty Information: Active thru Jan 3, 2024 or 999,999 miles

Old 10-14-2018, 02:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,105 Likes on 810 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
With copy of dealer Repair Order - or Service Invoice - in hand - regular business hours call Mercedes Customer Care (800) 367-6372 - calmly lay out the facts to them - will take the information from you - then they will start a 2nd channel back to dealer management to get this resolved.
Old 10-14-2018, 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
Thanks for the info - this is helpful. It looks like I may be facing closer scrutiny on warranty claims from now on.

Can you say more about "different levels of CPO, Base, Total" and "ELW ... they go from lowest to highest coverage"? In both cases I got the MB warranties. The CPO is automatic when you buy a (slightly) used car from an authorized MB dealer; the extended warranty also came though the dealer. In other words, it is not a 3rd party warranty.

This seems to be confirmed by my Mercedes Me app and the MBUSA website which show my
Warranty Information: Active thru Jan 3, 2024 or 999,999 miles
Base CPO is that included 12/12k warranty. You can purchase additional 2 years or so, it shows up as CPO Total on the VMI. Or, if you purchase ELW (Extended Length Warranty) while the car is under factory coverage, that's another thing. Your VMI will show which policy you have. Doesn't matter, we run the coverage through the same system for all of it, but it determines what is and is not covered.