Manufacturing /delivery delays

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2021, 12:20 PM
m.o

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2021 AMG GLC 63S
Manufacturing /delivery delays

Got a message from my dealer this morning. Production date of my car is delayed again. The 2020 AMG GLC 63s Coupe I ordered at the beginning of the last year never went into production due to Covid related shutdown and at some point I decided to wait for 2021 model . This year’s ordered car was supposed to be manufactured in March, then this week and now production date is set for June 16th. A huge disappointment.
Old 05-22-2021, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2021 GLC 63 AMG
Similar story for me: meant to have been in production 1st week of April, then 2nd week of May, and presently the dealer is being evasive about current status.
Old 05-22-2021, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,990 Likes on 2,661 Posts
2019 C63CS
And it's not gonna get better any time soon. The carmakers are getting crippled by the global semiconductor shortage and experts predict it'll last another two years.
Old 05-22-2021, 08:12 PM

2021 GLC 63 AMG
Sadly right, as the only manufacturer not badly impacted was Toyota; heard on the news they had supplies stockpiled after the tsunami several years ago changed their approach to supply chain preparedness.
Old 05-22-2021, 11:13 PM

2021 GLC 63 AMG
Oh hey, m.o, I just heard back from the dealer - I have a VIN now and the screen was showing 2 days until production on the 20th. The actual production date still shows as the start of may, which can't be right based on what the codes seem to indicate after some googling, so it's unclear where that inconsistency comes from.
Old 05-23-2021, 01:14 PM
m.o

2021 AMG GLC 63S
iceclimber, I am glad to hear that you have vin now and I sincerely hope that production date on my car will not change again.
Old 05-23-2021, 11:17 PM

2021 GLC 63 AMG
Originally Posted by m.o
iceclimber, I am glad to hear that you have vin now and I sincerely hope that production date on my car will not change again.
Same for you! Hope it works out soon. Perhaps see if you can get a screenshot of what the dealer is looking at for your order? My dealer kept saying they didn't have updates when the log of activity on the order was clearly changing.
If i hear anything more on mine i'll let you know, as I would have thought yours would have been produced before mine, as I ordered after you, but don't know how they prioritize different orders.
Old 07-20-2021, 07:43 AM
m.o

2021 AMG GLC 63S
Unfortunately this is not the end of the story. I got a call from dealer yesterday in late afternoon. The car came incomplete from Germany. Due to shortage of components Hermes Communication Module was not fitted in the car.
The schedule explains what the module is responsible for.

After running a quick Internet search, It looks to me that a car without Hermes CM doesn’t have:

- Ecall emergency system

- Functionality of Mercedes me app

- The entire navigation system

- Digital key transfer over NFC

- Anti theft system

- Concierge service

- CarPlay and Android Auto

- Streaming services

- Telematics services including stolen car tracking

- Phone integration

- Bluetooth

- Remote Diagnostics

- WiFi

- Remote door lock/unlock

- Speed alert

- and etc. I am sure I missed many features

Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC emailed me a waiver. The dealership is planning to release the car under the waiver and retrofit Hermes Communication Module when it becomes available.
I will meet with GM of the dealership for 2PM this afternoon.

Last edited by m.o; 07-20-2021 at 07:55 AM. Reason: missing schedule
Old 07-20-2021, 11:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,990 Likes on 2,661 Posts
2019 C63CS
That kinda sucks. The HERMES module provides the car with a permanent Internet connection, so everything that requires the Internet connection won't work, but it's not everything in your list. It's essentially the Mercedes me services. The navigation system will still be available, but you won't have live traffic and can't do online POI searches and won't get OTA updates for maps etc. CarPlay and AA will still work and the navigation can still be used for simple routing.

However, my understanding is that if the HERMES module is absent, the tethering function becomes available that lets you connect the system to your phone's hotspot and provide an Internet connection to the car via your phone, so you get live traffic and such while your phone is in the car. You won't be able to use things like remote start and remote lock/unlock while the car is parked, because it won't have an Internet connection on its own, but while driving your phone can provide the Internet access. The instructions to setup up tethering should be in the owners manual.

If they are going to retrofit the HERMES module once it becomes available, then tethering would be a good workaround in the meantime.

EDIT: Instead of your phone's hotspot, you could also place a portable WiFi router in the car and tethering the system to it. That way the car would have a permanent Internet connection. The HERMES module is essentially just a portable WiFi router that provides Internet access via LTE.

Last edited by superswiss; 07-20-2021 at 11:45 AM.
Old 07-21-2021, 08:19 AM
m.o

2021 AMG GLC 63S
Thank you for your comments. Apparently only the new S class, Maybach and a few other models are coming complete with Hermes unit now. Other models may be affected depending on availability of the unit during the week of assembly. The unit is supposed to be retrofitted on my car at some point in Q4.
Old 07-28-2021, 04:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C300
Originally Posted by m.o
Thank you for your comments. Apparently only the new S class, Maybach and a few other models are coming complete with Hermes unit now. Other models may be affected depending on availability of the unit during the week of assembly. The unit is supposed to be retrofitted on my car at some point in Q4.
Has your car been released from the VPC yet? I signed the waiver on 7/19 and still waiting...
Old 07-28-2021, 05:04 PM
m.o

2021 AMG GLC 63S
Sorry to hear that. I signed waiver on 23rd and the car is supposed to be released this week. Let me know when you get it.
Old 07-28-2021, 05:16 PM

C300
Originally Posted by m.o
Sorry to hear that. I signed waiver on 23rd and the car is supposed to be released this week. Let me know when you get it.
My dealer told me I’ll have it by end of this month, but thats hard to believe if it hasn’t been released yet. He hasn’t lost hope (I have lol), will keep you posted.
Old 07-28-2021, 09:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
clk 320
2021 Mercedes E450 Coupe Hermes Module Waiver

Originally Posted by m.o
Got a message from my dealer this morning. Production date of my car is delayed again. The 2020 AMG GLC 63s Coupe I ordered at the beginning of the last year never went into production due to Covid related shutdown and at some point I decided to wait for 2021 model . This year’s ordered car was supposed to be manufactured in March, then this week and now production date is set for June 16th. A huge disappointment.
Was told today car is on boat being shipped.
Hermes Module Was not on the Car and would be installed later at the dealership probably in January. Was told I had to sign a waiver which I did today. Not sure if this was something I should have done. We will see. Will keep you guys posted. Car should arrive at dealership in late August or September.

Last edited by brittim; 07-28-2021 at 10:08 PM.
Old 07-29-2021, 06:18 PM
m.o

2021 AMG GLC 63S
Due to shortage of semiconductors Mercedes is halting production in Sindelfingen, Rastatt and Bremen as well as Kecskemet, Hungary

https://translate.google.com/transla...DBoxNPrzeImg66

Google translation is not top quality there but the message is clear.
The following users liked this post:
brittim (07-29-2021)
Old 07-30-2021, 08:26 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
C43 AMG
My GLC43 was ordered in mid-March. Learned about the waiver thing yesterday after pestering my salesman and he finally called me back when I implied we were starting to look at alternatives and possibly cancelling the order. He says ours is built and waiting to be shipped without some functionality. He couldn't tell me what is missing or estimate when the vehicle would be made whole. I know it's not his fault but the lack of information is very frustrating.

I'm wondering about the possibility of negotiating withholding a retainer until the vehicle is made whole. This is done all the time in other industries until a vendor completes the agreed upon work. I just hate to pay full price for something less than I ordered. Also curious about the legalities of Mercedes doing this waiver thing and delivering incomplete vehicles???

Last edited by MB_Okie; 07-30-2021 at 09:07 AM.
The following users liked this post:
brittim (07-30-2021)
Old 07-30-2021, 06:20 PM

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
GLC 63
Originally Posted by m.o
sorry to hear. I know first hand what its like to wait with barely any substantial updates.

when did you switch your order to a ‘21 63 s? My ‘21 63 was accepted around 2020 christmas time, and was given a 1st decade build slot in April. I took delivery mid June.

Very unfortunate that your slot is being pushed so far back and now its missing things. 2022 is not a year to custom order cars. As much as it sucks, if i was you, i would just wait - hope the car is everything you thought would be!
Old 07-30-2021, 08:55 PM
m.o

2021 AMG GLC 63S
I ordered 2021 model in mid January 2021. The car is supposed to be delivered this coming Monday in the afternoon.
By the way, to what extent road hazard insurance on wheels and tires is negotiable? I had that kind of insurance on my BMWs and now I am surprised about Mercedes pricing, 3 years - $3.5K.
Old 08-02-2021, 12:20 PM

GLK, GLC63S (incoming)
Originally Posted by m.o
I ordered 2021 model in mid January 2021. The car is supposed to be delivered this coming Monday in the afternoon.
By the way, to what extent road hazard insurance on wheels and tires is negotiable? I had that kind of insurance on my BMWs and now I am surprised about Mercedes pricing, 3 years - $3.5K.
I was able to get one extra year for the same price in my other Merc. Maybe try 4yr $3.5k and see if they bite.
Old 08-02-2021, 07:59 PM
m.o

2021 AMG GLC 63S
Thank you. It worked: $3K for 4 years.
Old 08-03-2021, 11:23 PM

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
GLC 63
Originally Posted by m.o
Thank you. It worked: $3K for 4 years.
sorry too late to reply!!
i went over my paperwork and i had the 4 year for base price, 2k!!
Old 08-05-2021, 02:15 PM

C300
Originally Posted by m.o
My car hit ready status today and should be ready for pickup Saturday or Monday
Old 08-07-2021, 05:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2021 GLC63S / 2017 GLA250
I ordered my 2021 Mercedes GLC63S SUV in April 2021.

* Was told Delivery for my birthday in August.
* Then in June i followed up with dealer, they told me it got pushed for early September delivery.
* Again in July i was told it got delayed to Mid October delivery.
* Few days ago, i got a call saying i was going to be missing Technology package entirely. (one of the main reasons i waited for a 2021, i was ready to buy in 2020)

asked dealer to look for a model similar to mine for sale somewhere in another province in Canada.

they called around and other dealerships just told them it's sold it's sold.

So i took matters into my own hands, there was only 2 (1 other side of the country the other near by). The one far from me, i would sacrifice a few things. The new one near by has everything i got except had red seat belts. I called and it was sold

BUT

they had another in storage that wasn't listed yet and it had everything i wanted + Heads up Display + Side steps + tow hitch (didn't care about these 3) so i grabbed it. On Monday finalizing all paperwork and Tuesday I am going to get it and arranged to have it towed home in a fully enclosed trailer. Told them to not remove any plastic or cardboard or wash it or paint correct it. I will do it all.

So fingers crossed

Old 08-07-2021, 06:08 PM

GLK, GLC63S (incoming)
Originally Posted by BigRuski
I ordered my 2021 Mercedes GLC63S SUV in April 2021.

* Was told Delivery for my birthday in August.
* Then in June i followed up with dealer, they told me it got pushed for early September delivery.
* Again in July i was told it got delayed to Mid October delivery.
* Few days ago, i got a call saying i was going to be missing Technology package entirely. (one of the main reasons i waited for a 2021, i was ready to buy in 2020)

asked dealer to look for a model similar to mine for sale somewhere in another province in Canada.

they called around and other dealerships just told them it's sold it's sold.

So i took matters into my own hands, there was only 2 (1 other side of the country the other near by). The one far from me, i would sacrifice a few things. The new one near by has everything i got except had red seat belts. I called and it was sold

BUT

they had another in storage that wasn't listed yet and it had everything i wanted + Heads up Display + Side steps + tow hitch (didn't care about these 3) so i grabbed it. On Monday finalizing all paperwork and Tuesday I am going to get it and arranged to have it towed home in a fully enclosed trailer. Told them to not remove any plastic or cardboard or wash it or paint correct it. I will do it all.

So fingers crossed
Interesting, I ordered mine in April in Canada too and it is currently being shipped. Built time was in June.

They told me delivery time late Aug or early Sept. I called them this week and they said there is no indication my car is missing Mercedes Me and tech package. Hopefully this holds true when the car is here.
Old 08-07-2021, 06:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2021 GLC63S / 2017 GLA250
ops

Last edited by BigRuski; 08-07-2021 at 06:33 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Manufacturing /delivery delays