Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > S-Class (W220)
S600 jumps out of gear on load! >

S600 jumps out of gear on load!

Notices
S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Old 07-12-2019, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W220 S600 biturbo

Hi guys,

Hoping someone can shed some light for me. The other day I floored it on my s600 2004 and the car jumped out of gear and just reved.

I had lost drive so managed to pull over safely and turned the car off then on and all was ok. Since then the car has been shifting very rough.

Now kickdowns on 3rd gear is very aggressive, it feels like the car is getting kicked in the back very hard.

Pluged in my SDS and I got advised internal fault in component Y3/6 (electrical control module)
What is this?

I also got error codes P2500 (transmission has an implausible transmission ratio

P200E
P200C

All help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-13-2019, 09:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 90 Likes on 85 Posts
2003 S430
One possible cause is the common problem where a leaking transmission electrical connector allows ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) to wick up the attached wire harness and into the TCM (Transmission Control Module). The ATF can cause random problems with the TCM. Cleaning the TCM is an easy DIY job. Might or might not fix your problem, but it's easy, cheap, and often helps...

Purchase a spray can of good quality "Brake and Parts Cleaner". Open the right under-hood SAM (Signal Acquisition Module), the lidded black plastic fuse/relay/control box that is located at the back of the engine compartment under the right corner of the windshield. Carefully examine each of the wire harnesses at the top of the box for any traces of oil on the wires. Gently tug the oily harness up and out of the box, bringing the attached TCM with it. Unplug the TCM, and open it, being careful to avoid breaking the plastic latches. Use the parts cleaner to remove all traces of ATF, and let the box dry completely. Reassemble and reinstall. Drive the car a few times to see if this fixed the problem.

Changing the leaking connector is fairly easy, but does require getting under the car. The part is available on-line or at your Mercedes or Dodge dealer, and is usually less than $20. Replacing the connector usually causes only a very, very small loss of ATF during the process. If you don't change the connector, you might have to clean the TCM every five or ten years.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W220 S600 biturbo
Thank you wallyp

I've actually ordered a full gearbox service kit from Mercedes Also with a conductor plate.

Will have it fitted on Saturday then use my SDS to do a reset on the gearbox and fingers crossed.

The issue I'm having occures only when the car has been driven for a while and is warm/hot.