W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*** $1,500 CF Airbox with HP benefits ***

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 11:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 S65, '04 Range Rover(The House), '06 Lexus GS 300(Wifey's), '02 Sea Ray 360 Sundancer
Vic,

Did you pay by CC or any other source that you can get assistance from?
Old 08-04-2006, 11:55 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Steve,

The best thing to do to clear this whole thing up is, grab your stock airbox that is in your garage for the passenger side. Take the top half of it off so only the bottom black half is showing.

Take the passenger side "Renntech" airbox out of the car and lay it on the floor next to the stock one. Take a pic standing right overtop of them and post it please. That will give u a clear answer.

Then, take the 2 airboxes and put them both on a counter top. Stand in front of them, and take a pic of the front part of the airboxes pointing the camera directly at the intake tube openings. This will give us an indication of height properties and we'll know if they are the same or not.

Lou is going to take a bunch also when he gets home. If his are the same as yours then we have our answers.. If they are different, then they must have a different version of those systems out there.

Originally Posted by MB_Steve
The intake tubes weren't replaced. I assumed the airbox is different because the factory airbox is sitting in my garage. However, I too am a little concerned, as they could easily buy stock boxes glue the carbon fiber piece on top and sell it as a total package. I will know tomorrow as I will take pictures and take a close look side by side with the stock box.
I hate when that happens..

Originally Posted by dragonAMG
LOL... you're probably right.... HAHAHA
Yeah.. But, the problem is that I had to order through one of their "Distributors", so not only do I have to get my CC company involved, but I have to get theirs involved too.. They are reluctant to do that... This is what they told me:

"That's just the way Renntech is. You just have to wait until the product arrives."

Can you believe that this is what people accept as the norm????

If I ran my business like this I would be OUT OF BUSINESS.

Originally Posted by ENDSMTG
Vic,

Did you pay by CC or any other source that you can get assistance from?
Old 08-04-2006, 11:58 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
BTW GUYS.. Don't forget ....

This is OUR MONEY that they are in effect holding on to.. Hmm.. should we get 29 lawyers to call them and ask for a delivery date?
Old 08-04-2006, 02:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'10 E63 AMG
Victor:

Have you called and asked to speak to Hartmut personally and specifically, or are you just speaking to his underlings? I would think that the owner of the company would respond appropriately if he was aware of this poor customer service. If not, then he may soon realize a disappointing loss of market share when members of this forum start to boycott his products!
Old 08-04-2006, 02:09 PM

'10 Panamera S, '06 AMG CLS55, '07 Miata MX5, '02 MB SPRINTER, '99 Spec Miata Race Car (2X)
Victor

I hate to say this, since you already know I am a big fan of your relentless quest, and I am behind you 100%. So please dont take this the wrong way.

But the way I see it is that this post has already had close to 5,000 views, many by those who have Renntech parts, and possibly even by those with strong Renntech affiliations. I would suspect that Renntech is aware of this post and is very much aware of your mission and, to be honest, if I was in their shoes I wouldnt be making it easier for you to produce a competitive product at a cheaper price.

If someone called my company to purchase one of my machines that I had spent considerable R&D and had much intellectual capital invested, and I came to hear that it was not going to be used for anything else than to be the reference part for the launch of a competitve product, I would definitely not make it easy. Call me shallow, but hey, thats how I make my living. Protecting my products as best I can.

Dont want to discourage you in any way.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:19 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
I didnt call the company directly.. The people that I am dealing through have all the communication with Renntech. Dont know which person they spoke to but it definitely wasnt Hartmut.

I'll suggest that and see what happens.

Originally Posted by oblax4
Victor:

Have you called and asked to speak to Hartmut personally and specifically, or are you just speaking to his underlings? I would think that the owner of the company would respond appropriately if he was aware of this poor customer service. If not, then he may soon realize a disappointing loss of market share when members of this forum start to boycott his products!
I understand perfectly.. I agree with everything you are saying..

Here are my issues:

1) They dont know which box is going where and which one is mine.. That's why I never mentioned names of who is doing the ordering, and who they are speaking to.

2) If they didnt want to send it out, why did they take the money as "deposit"?

3) If they want to protect their product after reading this thread, cancel the order, refund the money, and everyone lives happily ever after.

The bottom line is they have no way of knowing which Renntech box is being produced and is eventually destined to me so how could they purposely stall it? I am in Canada, and it was ordered through a USA Distributor so how do they know which one I used?

What infuriates me is that they are holding both the money and the product.

Are we just supposed to sit here for weeks, months, years until it magically shows up?

Oh, BTW.. If they were playing games, that tactic wouldn't work to slow me down.. Quite the opposite.. It would make me more eager and motivated to get my product out at an EVEN LOWER price and make it even worse for them. See what I mean?

Originally Posted by siswati
Victor

I hate to say this, since you already know I am a big fan of your relentless quest, and I am behind you 100%. So please dont take this the wrong way.

But the way I see it is that this post has already had close to 5,000 views, many by those who have Renntech parts, and possibly even by those with strong Renntech affiliations. I would suspect that Renntech is aware of this post and is very much aware of your mission and, to be honest, if I was in their shoes I wouldnt be making it easier for you to produce a competitive product at a cheaper price.

If someone called my company to purchase one of my machines that I had spent considerable R&D and had much intellectual capital invested, and I came to hear that it was not going to be used for anything else than to be the reference part for the launch of a competitve product, I would definitely not make it easy. Call me shallow, but hey, thats how I make my living. Protecting my products as best I can.

Dont want to discourage you in any way.

Last edited by vrus; 08-04-2006 at 02:22 PM.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:52 PM

'10 E63 AMG
Victor:

Check your PM
Old 08-04-2006, 03:05 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Anyways... I dont want to move the focus of this thread, so, back to the topic at hand...

The CF guys have the new MB airbox assemblies that I ordered.. they are doing a mock up and taking measurements. They are studying it to get a feel for how the layout will be. Once they are done their preliminary investigation, I am going to meet with them to go over the proposed new design and airbox placements.

Should be next week..
Old 08-04-2006, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL65
Can't wait to see the results.

Originally Posted by vrus
Anyways... I dont want to move the focus of this thread, so, back to the topic at hand...

The CF guys have the new MB airbox assemblies that I ordered.. they are doing a mock up and taking measurements. They are studying it to get a feel for how the layout will be. Once they are done their preliminary investigation, I am going to meet with them to go over the proposed new design and airbox placements.

Should be next week..
Old 08-04-2006, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
distributor

I'd call renntech directly and ask about your order. Lets not just assume that its renntech's fault considering you do have another layer involved.

To be honest, If I was Renntech, I wouldn't have taken the money period.

As a board member I think its awesome what you are trying to do.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Take a look at look at Slcharger's photos about half way down this thread:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...highlight=80mm

And compare it to this one.:
http://www.renntechmercedes.com/Show_Eng.html

I dont even have to go my car and take pictures to see the obvious...

If you haven't figured it out. Take a look at the little yellow sticker right on the bottom of the airbox. Where the air intakes connect...WTF.WTF.WTF.

Unless they peeled off that sticker (which is on the factory airbox bottom) and kindly put it at the bottom of theirs, yes it is the same.. UGH!!!!!!
WTF! WTF!! WTF!!!

Now in Renntech's defense, I do think that their carbon fiber airbox is more efficient than the Y-tubes in the back of the factory airbox.

Last edited by SleeperX; 08-04-2006 at 09:12 PM.
Old 08-04-2006, 06:19 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
I decided I am going to take no further action.. I dont want to be distracted from the ultimate goal here; which is to CREATE THE BEST DAMN CF AIRBOX.

I will leave the ball in their court and see what happens. I am going to just sit and see what they do and how long before it gets delivered... Once this has played itself out, then I'll decide what course of action, if any, to take.

Thanks for your support!

Originally Posted by Jesseliu
I'd call renntech directly and ask about your order. Lets not just assume that its renntech's fault considering you do have another layer involved.

To be honest, If I was Renntech, I wouldn't have taken the money period.

As a board member I think its awesome what you are trying to do.
As this stage in the game, lets not leave anything to chance. Take your stock airbox in your garage and put it right next to what Renntech installed in your car and take some pics and post it here so everyone can see with their own 2 eyes.

Once that is done, we can all "discuss" the results.

I have to say... I am dying with anticipation here.... POST THOSE PICS!!!
https://mbworld.org/forums/showth...=146992&page=6
Oops. I posted this in the wrong thread.. IMHO. Yes it is the same airbox on the bottom as the factory airbox.
Old 08-04-2006, 06:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
sorry

Vrus I would take pictures but mine is a SLK55 with the Renntech Supercharger. It doesn't come with a Renntech Intake. I haven't taken that step yet. It uses the stock air intake atm.
Old 08-04-2006, 06:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
As this stage in the game, lets not leave anything to chance. Take your stock airbox in your garage and put it right next to what Renntech installed in your car and take some pics and post it here so everyone can see with their own 2 eyes.

Once that is done, we can all "discuss" the results.

I have to say... I am dying with anticipation here.... POST THOSE PICS!!!
As embarrasing as this sounds... I don't have a digital camera...
But the shop that I am going to tomorrow does. I am sure they would be nice enough to take the pictures when they do the thermo coating....
This time tomorrow I should be able to post them...
Old 08-04-2006, 10:08 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Sorry Victor, I was hoping it wasn't so. keep in mind that not many get ordered at any one time and it is pretty rare to sell them without a complete package, i.e. Stage 5... so that's how they knew who. Also, I am sure they heard here. Call the owner and be calm.

I am one of the RennTech lovers, so i feel for you and am waiting to see how you get treated before I decide to sink minimum $10K on their stuff. Maybe EVO could take advantage of this and step up??

Sorry again dude, I always hoped my info was off.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:28 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Jesse,

Thanks for the offer. I appreciate it.

I thought I recognized your screen name from somewhere.. It was your car that I read about that had a complete Renntech S/C installed.. Can you post some pics of your car.. I would love to see them!!

Originally Posted by Jesseliu
Vrus I would take pictures but mine is a SLK55 with the Renntech Supercharger. It doesn't come with a Renntech Intake. I haven't taken that step yet. It uses the stock air intake atm.
Steve.... Buddy... You dont have a digital camera??? Ok.. Ok.. I know what we can do.. I'll mark up your CF airbox SLIGHTLY and then I'll go and find you a nice point & shoot (I'm thinking 7MP Canon ELF) and put it in the box with the CF airbox.. How's that sound??

Just messing around... No problems my friend.. I look forward to seeing them tomorrow.. The heat wrap will help keep the temps down.. One other thing I could suggest is to order the phenolic spacers from Evo.. I really like those things and have suggested them to a tonne of people.. Great product for $200 some odd bucks. Every little bit helps!

As embarrasing as this sounds... I don't have a digital camera...
But the shop that I am going to tomorrow does. I am sure they would be nice enough to take the pictures when they do the thermo coating....
This time tomorrow I should be able to post them...
Thanks buddy! I appreciate it... No worries. I was a little worked up about it mostly because I have a large group of people that I am responsible for to get this CF project going and now we've got $3800 USD tied up in a product I dont even have... Basically what I was hoping for was to spend the $3800 on their product, dyno it, and see if a CF airbox will even make power (they claim it does).. That was the cheapest way to test the theory.

Since that is not going to be forthcoming, I will have to go the long route and make a "mock up" and then dyno that before committing to the final mold.

Basically, I am going to sit back and see what happens. We'll see how they handle this and whether or not they deliver the product.

Also, based on the pics that Lou & Steve post, we'll know more about Renntech also...

Originally Posted by jangy
Sorry Victor, I was hoping it wasn't so. keep in mind that not many get ordered at any one time and it is pretty rare to sell them without a complete package, i.e. Stage 5... so that's how they knew who. Also, I am sure they heard here. Call the owner and be calm.

I am one of the RennTech lovers, so i feel for you and am waiting to see how you get treated before I decide to sink minimum $10K on their stuff. Maybe EVO could take advantage of this and step up??

Sorry again dude, I always hoped my info was off.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
Jesse,

Thanks for the offer. I appreciate it.

I thought I recognized your screen name from somewhere.. It was your car that I read about that had a complete Renntech S/C installed.. Can you post some pics of your car.. I would love to see them!!

Steve.... Buddy... You dont have a digital camera??? Ok.. Ok.. I know what we can do.. I'll mark up your CF airbox SLIGHTLY and then I'll go and find you a nice point & shoot (I'm thinking 7MP Canon ELF) and put it in the box with the CF airbox.. How's that sound??

Just messing around... No problems my friend.. I look forward to seeing them tomorrow.. The heat wrap will help keep the temps down.. One other thing I could suggest is to order the phenolic spacers from Evo.. I really like those things and have suggested them to a tonne of people.. Great product for $200 some odd bucks. Every little bit helps!

Thanks buddy! I appreciate it... No worries. I was a little worked up about it mostly because I have a large group of people that I am responsible for to get this CF project going and now we've got $3800 USD tied up in a product I dont even have... Basically what I was hoping for was to spend the $3800 on their product, dyno it, and see if a CF airbox will even make power (they claim it does).. That was the cheapest way to test the theory.

Since that is not going to be forthcoming, I will have to go the long route and make a "mock up" and then dyno that before committing to the final mold.

Basically, I am going to sit back and see what happens. We'll see how they handle this and whether or not they deliver the product.

Also, based on the pics that Lou & Steve post, we'll know more about Renntech also...
Here is what I sent to Victor:

My machine lost it as I composed this to you. Again here are my observations. As soon as I got home I took of the RT airbox and compared it to the stock box. Needless to say my wife was not campaigning to be the president of my fan club.
The bottom of the 2 boxes are identical---same AMG part numbers and all. The high performance air filters that RT supplies have the same AMG part number as the stock filters.

The volume on the upper half of the RT box appears to have more volume and the inlet to the "Y" connector does appear to be larger and does have a smoother looking air flow channel.

Other than that it does look pretty. the only thing that RT missed was including a jar of Vasseline since I feel that I got screwed with my pants on.

As I compose this the pictures are uploading on ofoto. They were too large to send via the forums mail. At this point they are still at 5% of the upload. If I am not successful in using ofoto let me have your e-mail address and I will send them to you. Try to log on to www.ofoto.com, user or e-mail johnettalou@yahoo.com, password,041429 to view the photos.

Also when removing the RT box in haste I just yanked it off, the last photo shows what appears to be a breather. The engine is still hot and I'll be damned if I can find out where it connects. Any help would be appreciated.

Lou

Old 08-04-2006, 11:49 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
To be honest, I personally think it is for the best. I am sure RENNtech will refund your $$ and the group save it anyway. Who cares if their product meets its claims in the MBWorld study, anyway. You guys have already come up with so many ideas on how to build your own box that will add whatever a good box adds. Either way, like you said in the previous post, "every little bit helps". I say screw em. Use the $$ you've collected to design a bad butt one and I'm sure everyone here will love it. Actually, I am now interested to join the R&D crew, if it isn't too late?? I haven't kept up too much with this thread as I figured that the box would be a no show AND I was planning on going with RENN. I didn't expect you to be played with, however, and that I don't like. Actually, I didn't even pay any attention that you had PAID in advance. Just not cool. To reject the order is one thing, but to label you as a pirate and then take this type of attitude is odd. You sure your distributor isn't playing some favorites w/Renn? I just don't see them acting this way, without some "help".
Old 08-04-2006, 11:54 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
It is looking like the Filter and Y pipe may be the bottleneck that gives the gains. A bigger reservoir between the filters and TB would add some low end grunt, and better plumbing of the Y-pipes could add some throughout. I say screw the CF part and work on the tubes and pipe!!
Old 08-06-2006, 12:39 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Jangy, I agree.. If they refunded the money and kept their airbox I would be VERY happy at this point.

BTW, you can join in on the R&D Group if you like.. The more the merrier.. It just means we have a bigger pool of money to work from.

As for the Renntech Airbox, I will be posting my thoughts in a few minutes with some detailed photos.

To be honest, I personally think it is for the best. I am sure RENNtech will refund your $$ and the group save it anyway. Who cares if their product meets its claims in the MBWorld study, anyway. You guys have already come up with so many ideas on how to build your own box that will add whatever a good box adds. Either way, like you said in the previous post, "every little bit helps". I say screw em. Use the $$ you've collected to design a bad butt one and I'm sure everyone here will love it. Actually, I am now interested to join the R&D crew, if it isn't too late?? I haven't kept up too much with this thread as I figured that the box would be a no show AND I was planning on going with RENN. I didn't expect you to be played with, however, and that I don't like. Actually, I didn't even pay any attention that you had PAID in advance. Just not cool. To reject the order is one thing, but to label you as a pirate and then take this type of attitude is odd. You sure your distributor isn't playing some favorites w/Renn? I just don't see them acting this way, without some "help".
Old 08-06-2006, 01:04 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Firstly, I would like to thank Lou for taking the time to take apart his car and getting these pictures for us! Thanks Lou!! We all appreciate it!

BTW, did you get my email response about where that hose connects to? It goes to the driver's side manifold.. Its the PCV line that runs between the airbox and manifold.

Secondly, If you've all logged in to the ofoto site and went through the pics you will know by now that the Renntech Airbox does indeed use the STOCK MB lower airboxes.

At first I thought that they did this because they wanted their kit to look more impressive.. After looking at the high res versions of Lou's pics that he graciously emailed me, I figured it out...

They purchase brand new airboxes because they HAVE TO. They not only use the stock BOTTOM airboxes, but they also use the TOP pieces also.. You see, MB will not sell the top half of the airbox separately. You have to buy the complete bottom & top piece.

Why does Renntech use the TOP half you say?? Well.. If you look at the pic below, you will see that it is of a STOCK TOP part of the airbox turned upside down. What Renntech does is applies their CF mold ONTOP of the stock airbox. Lou tells me the Renntech version of the top airbox is taller than stock (I cannot verify this, but it appears to be), so they most likely cut open the stock top portion and make it taller by apply their own top box over it.

It isn't even a pure CF piece. The pictures I posted at the beginning of the thread was REAL, PURE CF (Compare those pics with what you see below) This is an example of what Vivid was talking about.. A fiberglass resin with a LAYER of CF spread out ontop of it.

They also supply a set of STOCK PAPER FILTERS with the kit.. WHY???? I dont get that... Heck, they could of at least put in a set of BMC or Greens, or K&Ns .... I hope in their advertising of this product they dont market it as PURE CF because it clearly isnt!

Renntech has made their customers pay for a new complete set of STOCK MB airboxes simply because they didnt want to create their own mold for the mounting frame of the top airbox.. Had they of made their own mounting frame, there would be no need to spend all that money on a stock airbox assembly... Its simply a waste...

I am so amazed and shocked, I dont even know what to say anymore... I'll let the picture speak for itself.

Old 08-06-2006, 01:18 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Pay pal sent!! I'm in.

This new info goes back to my thought that we may want to focus on the tubing rather than the box??

Please tell me that in the end you plan to go with added performance over looks? I think you are , but I'd like to verify. I do not care about looks AT ALL. i will take any performance gains, though.

WOOOOHOOOO, I'm in I'm in.!!!!

Great job Victor and yes, thanks to Lou. Looks like we at least have a resonable way to cut some costs....DON"T START WITH MB PRTS as the raw materials!! LOL.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:26 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Hey Jangy! Money received and YOU ARE IN!!!

Me go for looks over performance?? Come on.. Who are you talking to here? I'd reskin my car seats if I knew they would make me go faster.. LOL..

Don't worry.. PERFORMANCE is #1 priority. But, this will be the best damn airbox on the market so it sure as heck will look the part... And, it will be a PURE CF product with built in THERMAL properties. That is something very important that other products are missing.

You will want to hang this on your wall rather than put it in your engine bay when it is done!!

Pay pal sent!! I'm in.

This new info goes back to my thought that we may want to focus on the tubing rather than the box??

Please tell me that in the end you plan to go with added performance over looks? I think you are , but I'd like to verify. I do not care about looks AT ALL. i will take any performance gains, though.

WOOOOHOOOO, I'm in I'm in.!!!!

Great job Victor and yes, thanks to Lou. Looks like we at least have a resonable way to cut some costs....DON"T START WITH MB PRTS as the raw materials!! LOL.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E55
I can't believe that Renntech box
Old 08-06-2006, 01:33 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
WOOOHOOOO, I'm thrilled. We gotta turn this into a business, just to pay for the playing around!! Save memebers butt loads AND put out premium products. Heck maybe you can even sponser me to start up a race team??

Do me a favor..Check out website for Symbolic Motors in Sd. They have a VERY nice facility that is more geared to restoration and race cars, but they may be willing to participate in some of our projects , given that they are enthusiasts AND have lots of high end customers worldwide. just a thought.

Please sign me up for the FULL package, i definitely want tubes, etc. and have no problem with paying more. I know it will be worth it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: *** $1,500 CF Airbox with HP benefits ***