Sponsored by:

*** $1,500 CF Airbox with HP benefits ***

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Someday I dream of trying this cowl type of method like the guy did in the SLK.

Just can't imagine the cash it would take to custom make all this. Bet it would smoke though.

The airbox is now mounted above the battery for 2 reasons, The highest air pressure point on the vehicle is at the base of the windscreen and it also happens to be a good source of the coolest air possible.

Old 08-01-2006, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW E39
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
Someday I dream of trying this cowl type of method like the guy did in the SLK.

Just can't imagine the cash it would take to custom make all this. Bet it would smoke though.

The airbox is now mounted above the battery for 2 reasons, The highest air pressure point on the vehicle is at the base of the windscreen and it also happens to be a good source of the coolest air possible.

Your car won't see rain anymore though.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
Originally Posted by vrus
Email replied.

Yup.. Its been decided that if we are gonna do this, its gonna be to get the most power possible and make them look good doing it.

As for the Renntech box, I have a feeling I am going to be sick when I get it.. I have this nagging suspicion that they use the stock lower airboxes and just provide a new upper CF piece to attach to them.. I hope to god I am wrong and $5,100 didnt buy me a top CF plate. I'll take alot of pics when it arrives.

My suspicion arrives now because I recently saw 2 closeup shots of the Renntech system and the bottom airboxes look completely stock.
This thread made me very curious. As you know I installed the Renntech airbox on my SL55 and after reading the various comments I started to get that sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach. Over the weekend I had the SL and my wife's E55 side by side in the garage so I raised the hoods to see the comparison. The lower tubes are the same but the upper portion of the Renntech box appears wider, is definitely higher and naturally the y connector at the back is eliminated on the Renntech box. I would think that the larger volume and the smooth connector would increase airflow or at least that is what I hope. I await the results with baited breath and a feeling of disillusionment starting to set in.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:07 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Lou,

I've sent you a couple of PMs before and tried emailing you.. Not sure if you are getting them or not, but, this is what I was talking about.

I know you are probably a VERY busy man, but, I have to say that it will help EVERYONE alot of you could do a little work for us if possible..

I broke down and ordered it because that was the only way I was going to get straight answers.. Everyone I talked to about this EXPENSIVE Renntech system would avoid answering my questions.. I wont speculate as to why...

I really do hate to impose, but, it would be a TREMENDOUS help to everyone at this point if you could possibly take off the top CF cover and just snap a bunch of pictures of it from the top, the bottom, and take pics of the bottom airboxes also.

Post as many pics as you can in different points of view of each piece.

This will confirm if they really are using stock airboxes, and, MAYBE, just MAYBE you can save me $5,100 worth of nonsense and alot of time in testing their box.

I'll make a promise that I'll get you one of the CF Airboxes we are developing at a really good price and we can sell off your Renntech box if you wish.

*** THE TEAM REALLY NEEDS YOU!! ***

Originally Posted by lkirchner
This thread made me very curious. As you know I installed the Renntech airbox on my SL55 and after reading the various comments I started to get that sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach. Over the weekend I had the SL and my wife's E55 side by side in the garage so I raised the hoods to see the comparison. The lower tubes are the same but the upper portion of the Renntech box appears wider, is definitely higher and naturally the y connector at the back is eliminated on the Renntech box. I would think that the larger volume and the smooth connector would increase airflow or at least that is what I hope. I await the results with baited breath and a feeling of disillusionment starting to set in.

Last edited by vrus; 08-01-2006 at 01:18 PM.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
Lou,

I've sent you a couple of PMs before and tried emailing you.. Not sure if you are getting them or not, but, this is what I was talking about.

I know you are probably a VERY busy man, but, I have to say that it will help EVERYONE alot of you could do a little work for us if possible..

I broke down and ordered it because that was the only way I was going to get straight answers.. Everyone I talked to about this EXPENSIVE Renntech system would avoid answering my questions.. I wont speculate as to why...

I really do hate to impose, but, it would be a TREMENDOUS help to everyone at this point if you could possibly take off the top CF cover and just snap a bunch of pictures of it from the top, the bottom, and take pics of the bottom airboxes also.

Post as many pics as you can in different points of view of each piece.

This will confirm if they really are using stock airboxes, and, MAYBE, just MAYBE you can save me $5,100 worth of nonsense and alot of time in testing their box.

I'll make a promise that I'll get you one of the CF Airboxes we are developing at a really good price and we can sell off your Renntech box if you wish.

*** THE TEAM REALLY NEEDS YOU!! ***
Victor,

Unfortunately I am leaving on a business trip in about 3 hours and will not return until late Friday. If the pics are sent this weekend will that be sufficient?

Sorry about the timing.

Lou
Old 08-01-2006, 05:17 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Thanks Lou!! Looking forward to the pics!

Have a safe trip!

Originally Posted by lkirchner
Victor,

Unfortunately I am leaving on a business trip in about 3 hours and will not return until late Friday. If the pics are sent this weekend will that be sufficient?

Sorry about the timing.

Lou
Old 08-01-2006, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
(MBWorld Crowd chanting).."LOU!!! LOU!!!!LOU!!!!"

Announcer, "This is it ladies and gentlemen, it all comes down to this. Lou steps up with the digital camera, he presses the button.....now he's posting the pics and it looks like the Renntech box isssssssssssss"

......to be continued.

Old 08-01-2006, 09:11 PM

E55
I was just down at the local MB dealer and they have a Renntech SL600 in the showroom.. They happened to have the hood up.. I didnt have my camera and it was the v12 motor but as far as i could tell it looked like it was just the upper pieces, similar to what vrus was talking about.. So if the v12 version looks like this.. i can only speculate that ours will be the same..
Old 08-01-2006, 09:45 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
I suspect I am right about my hunches... I've talked to one guy who has an N/A motor with Renntech airbox system and he said bottom boxes are STOCK.

Now, Griffin checked the SL600 motor and bottom boxes are STOCK.. I saw pics of M113 motor and the bottom boxes look STOCK, and lastly Lou checked his and they look STOCK.

I'll tell you what bugs me the most about this whole thing.. It isnt so much that they charge $3800 for their CF RENNTECH Airbox system (Ok.. well it bothers me a bit because that is ridiculous as far as I am concerned).. It's that they purchase BRAND NEW ***STOCK*** MB AIRBOXES and include them in their kit when they ship the "Renntech" Airbox system to you... Do you know why they do this?? TO MAKE IT LOOK BETTER to the customer.

How impressed would you be if you opened up the box and saw just 1 simple piece of the top airbox CF and knew you paid $3,800 for it?? Probably not as impressed as if you opened the box and saw 2 new shiney airboxes, 2 new filters, and a CF top cover.

That's what really bugs me... Why didn't they just ship the top piece and forget about sending you STOCK MB Airboxes?? Heck, you already have those installed in your car, why make the customer go through the trouble of taking them out, just to put Renntech's (or should I say MB's) back in??? CRAZY!!!!!!!!

I'll bet no one who has purchased this system even noticed that while they were taking out their stock MB stuff that they were actually reinstalling the same damn thing and they could have saved themselves half the install time.

I'd love to have a Renntech employee chime in and explain why this is... I'd just love to hear the explanation...

Wait until you guys see what I get built for $1500 - $1700....
Old 08-01-2006, 10:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Sometimes I joke a bit too much and for that I apologize you guys....

Okay, this Renntech thing is really making me think of new ideas.

I guess I just can't get this cowl idea out of my head.

As you look at the stock E55 hood, there is a full row of airvents right by the windshield.

I am always a huge fan of "out of the box" thinking. Is there any conceivable way to convert one of the vents into an air intake. I know that someone mentioned about rain, but how did Chevy do the Chevelle and other ram air cars. I guess I just have this image in my head of a cutout in the hood right above the Y Pipe with huge pipes pumping fresh air straight down into the motor.

That would totally free up the Air Boxes for the SLR intercooler setup (heh someday).

Man I just wish I had the skills like those custom fabricator guys on TV. I would just be going nuts with this car.

Thanks for letting me share my crazy ideas.

Old 08-01-2006, 11:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E55
Its good thinking too Jakpro. Those grilles that are already on the hood don't do a hell of a lot for cooling underhood or anything else to my eyes. Vic I know you are looking at every possibility. Since seeing the pics of the SLR air intake I wonder if somehow with minimal cutting, some type of pancake ducting from the hood grille area can be routed and incorporated into the new CF airbox...or maybe look into if there is enough room to come over the radiator support with some type of pancake duct and have the inlet locate in the area of the top of the grill when the hood is closed.....not a lot of room anywhere but maybe there is a way to get a better inlet for the CF box. Rain would not necessarily pose a problem since a drain hose of some type can be plumbed to drain it away. Hell they did it on Shaker hood MoPars and others. Hey I was suppose to sit back and just enjoy driving this car...now you guys got me thinking crazy.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by vader
Hey I was suppose to sit back and just enjoy driving this car...now you guys got me thinking crazy.
Why should your life be easy . . . . .
Old 08-02-2006, 08:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E55
Guess you're right....now since I slept on it..I doubt many people want to cut up anything to get better air flow ! Stock locations are probably best ...
Old 08-02-2006, 09:37 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Jim,

I've actually worked and thought about this quite a bit. There are a few issues with making this work (at the base of the windshield) and the majority of people out there wont want to do what is necessary to make a viable solution.

1) The hard brake lines run right by the firewall on both sides where the gromet is that the intake pipe runs through to go to the TB.
2) The air conditioning/cabin carbon filter is located in that big black plastic box that is occupying the space where the air filter is supposed to go. You would have to remove that cabin filter altogether.
3) The issue of direct water falling onto the filter (this is minor and can be corrected with some creative thinking)
4) You have to hack up the firewall and enlarge the opening to be able to get an 80mm pipe through it.. I believe the gromet is only 2" in diameter.

Below you can see a pic of what that same setup is like on the E55.

Okay, this Renntech thing is really making me think of new ideas.

I guess I just can't get this cowl idea out of my head.

As you look at the stock E55 hood, there is a full row of airvents right by the windshield.

I am always a huge fan of "out of the box" thinking. Is there any conceivable way to convert one of the vents into an air intake. I know that someone mentioned about rain, but how did Chevy do the Chevelle and other ram air cars. I guess I just have this image in my head of a cutout in the hood right above the Y Pipe with huge pipes pumping fresh air straight down into the motor.

That would totally free up the Air Boxes for the SLR intercooler setup (heh someday).

Man I just wish I had the skills like those custom fabricator guys on TV. I would just be going nuts with this car.

Thanks for letting me share my crazy ideas.

Old 08-02-2006, 09:41 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
I don't think it will work.. The SLR has a bit more height room than we do and its nose is elongated enough to allow the airbox to sit in the space between the engine pullies and the radiator.

On the E55 with the shorter nose and cramped engine, there is no way an air filter box can sit in that location... You could probably force something to fit in there, but, it wouldnt be neat or make access to other engine components too easy.

Originally Posted by vader
Vic I know you are looking at every possibility. Since seeing the pics of the SLR air intake I wonder if somehow with minimal cutting, some type of pancake ducting from the hood grille area can be routed and incorporated into the new CF airbox...or maybe look into if there is enough room to come over the radiator support with some type of pancake duct and have the inlet locate in the area of the top of the grill when the hood is closed.....not a lot of room anywhere but maybe there is a way to get a better inlet for the CF box. Rain would not necessarily pose a problem since a drain hose of some type can be plumbed to drain it away. Hell they did it on Shaker hood MoPars and others. Hey I was suppose to sit back and just enjoy driving this car...now you guys got me thinking crazy.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW E39
I came up with this idea a long time ago. I mean, it only seems logical as the TB is so close to the vents. A lot of American cars with the scoops don't have their air intakes placed up against the scoops or openings. Usually they are placed near it, but not close enough to gulp in rainwater.

Victor, have you ever thought about going "down"? Usually, there is a good amount of cool air near the bottom grille or under the car, but you would have to avoid puddles and stuff after rain. And you would probably have to wrap them headers in thermo.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:42 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Yeah.. I've talked about it before.. Was playing around with an idea I saw on an E39 M5.. Wanted to run the scoops down to the front either next to the fog lights or the center grille where my evosport cooler is.

When I am done with the TB & testing, I will switch back to intake testing while the CF guys work on the mold for the airboxes.

Originally Posted by newton22
Victor, have you ever thought about going "down"? Usually, there is a good amount of cool air near the bottom grille or under the car, but you would have to avoid puddles and stuff after rain. And you would probably have to wrap them headers in thermo.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:31 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Brand new Airbox assembly that I ordered from Germany arrived this morning. Dropping it off at the CF company so they can get going with measurements and start working on the mold.

Forward...
Old 08-04-2006, 10:55 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Those of you guys that seem to think Renntech is a great company... Well.. They are starting to tick me off... I'll never spend another dollar on any product they make!!

They take the money IN FULL for an airbox... They DONT WANT to provide a ship date... They REFUSE to cancel the order and refund the money. They WONT provide status on where the airbox is in the manufacturing process. WTF???

Soo.. Do you guys think this is acceptable treatment of a customer? Do you think that such a prestigious company should act this way? They charge top dollar for everything they sell.. They should provide TOP DOLLAR customer service and customer experience too!

Maybe they are worried I'll get my hands on it, test it, and reveal to everyone that it doesnt do what they claim??? If so, just refund the purchase and I'll be on my way...

Maybe they think I want to copy it??? If that's the case... Don't worry Renntech!!!! I am not interested in your design. After all, 3/4 of your design is STOCK MB PARTS!!

That's probably how Renntech is able to get *** THEIR *** stuff warrantied at any MB dealer.. They use MB PARTS for everything they call *** THEIRS ***.

<RANT OFF>
Old 08-04-2006, 11:10 AM

E55
Well that sucks!! I would have expected more.. Does anyone have any contacts there??? Can anyone pull any strings??

Those of you guys that seem to think Renntech is a great company... Well.. They are starting to tick me off... I'll never spend another dollar on any product they make!!

They take the money IN FULL for an airbox... They DONT WANT to provide a ship date... They REFUSE to cancel the order and refund the money. They WONT provide status on where the airbox is in the manufacturing process. WTF???

Soo.. Do you guys think this is acceptable treatment of a customer? Do you think that such a prestigious company should act this way? They charge top dollar for everything they sell.. They should provide TOP DOLLAR customer service and customer experience too!

Maybe they are worried I'll get my hands on it, test it, and reveal to everyone that it doesnt do what they claim??? If so, just refund the purchase and I'll be on my way...

Maybe they think I want to copy it??? If that's the case... Don't worry Renntech!!!! I am not interested in your design. After all, 3/4 of your design is STOCK MB PARTS!!

That's probably how Renntech is able to get *** THEIR *** stuff warrantied at any MB dealer.. They use MB PARTS for everything they call *** THEIRS ***.

<RANT OFF>
Old 08-04-2006, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
You are welcome to join in.. The $200 that you would submit could be used towards a different component if you dont want the airbox.. BUT.. Once you see what we are building, you may want to sell what you have and keep the new one instead.

Since you already have the Renntech box.. Can you answer a question for me that everyone I ask keeps dodging?? When you installed the airbox are the BOTTOM pieces of the airbox just the stock airboxes with that fancy CF cover over top?

I will lose my mind if I find out that they are going to ship me a $5100 CF airbox assembly and it has stock airboxes underneath it. Can you do ME and EVERYONE else a big favour and lift up the top CF cover and take a picture so we can see what the airboxes look like underneath. PLEASE.
Victor,
My apologies as I am only now seeing this reply. I have been fairly busy this week. I am actually getting the bottom of the airbox covered in thermo wrap tomorrow so we will take pictures of the airbox before we cover it. The CF aribox does not have the stock airboxes beneath it. It is a whole new assembly all the way to the intake tubes.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:30 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Yeah... Considering order was placed 7/18/2006. 3 weeks and NO STATUS updates, NO DELIVERY date, NO nothing.

Taking someone's money and not providing a delivery date for a product is considered Fraud where I come from. I guess its time to sick the lawyers on them...

Originally Posted by Griffin337
Well that sucks!! I would have expected more.. Does anyone have any contacts there??? Can anyone pull any strings??
Old 08-04-2006, 11:32 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
No problems Steve..

Are you absolutely sure the bottom half is not stock?? The intake tubes and bottom airboxes look completely stock in the pictures that I have seen.

Please take many pictures and either email them to me privately or post them openly.

I am also waiting for Lou to do the same... Maybe something changed in their design??? I am completely uncertain at this point and just want some clarification...

Not to mention that others who have this system on V12 cars and on a 5.5 N/A car told me they were stock bottom airboxes.

Originally Posted by MB_Steve
Victor,
My apologies as I am only now seeing this reply. I have been fairly busy this week. I am actually getting the bottom of the airbox covered in thermo wrap tomorrow so we will take pictures of the airbox before we cover it. The CF aribox does not have the stock airboxes beneath it. It is a whole new assembly all the way to the intake tubes.

Last edited by vrus; 08-04-2006 at 11:37 AM.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
No problems Steve..

Are you absolutely sure the bottom half is not stock?? The intake tubes and bottom airboxes look completely stock in the pictures that I have seen.

Please take many pictures and either email them to me privately or post them openly.

I am also waiting for Lou to do the same... Maybe something changed in their design??? I am completely uncertain at this point and just want some clarification...

Not to mention that others who have this system on V12 cars and on a 5.5 N/A car told me they were stock bottom airboxes.
The intake tubes weren't replaced. I assumed the airbox is different because the factory airbox is sitting in my garage. However, I too am a little concerned, as they could easily buy stock boxes glue the carbon fiber piece on top and sell it as a total package. I will know tomorrow as I will take pictures and take a close look side by side with the stock box.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
12' C63 P31, 06' Supercharged Range, 08' BMW 550i

<RANT OFF>
LOL... you're probably right.... HAHAHA

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: *** $1,500 CF Airbox with HP benefits ***