Tunning Horrific Nightmare

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by Gustav
I couldn't help but notice that you MB guys are having problems with your tuners. Should have bought a BMW. We don't have these problems on our all mighty M5board. Our cars are faster than yours and when you try to beat us look what happens.
It was only a matter of time before he stepped in to this thread.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
01 CLK 430
Originally Posted by Cylinder Head
That works well AFTER the initial dyno tune to work out the kinks. The key to strapping the car to a dyno is the controlled environment you're in. If the engine's leaning out hard on a pull, you just shut it down, hard to do so in the street. Besides how many real world road tests allow you to go all the way up to 100+mph at will or pull through an entire gear?
I'm picking up what you are putting down!!

Is the Mercedes ECU that hard to tune? Why is it that we can't get some piggyback or standalone ECU love. We can flash these cars so why can't we write a tune and flash it right then and there?
Old 02-05-2008, 05:17 PM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Originally Posted by Bigbob
I am not sure what the relationship between REENtech, EE and Adam has to do with the problems on this thread.

REENtech has been in business for over 20 years we still have a good relationship with AMG, Mercedes and McLaren. We strive to give our customers the best tuning products that are available.

It hurts RENNtech, Brabus, Kleeman to have individuals out there that have not had a good experience getting there cars tuned.

Maybe some of you need to do some research on the background of companies that say they are "Tuners".
Off topic
quick question

Why is it that Renntech presence on this forum is quite weak, not very active (as in you have no one representing you for info on products, pics explanations etc)

Linking site is sometimes not good enough as we want stuff to be publicly viewed / discussed

I for one had a hell of a time trying to get info on your new pulley, but there was no one here to ask
Old 02-05-2008, 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by Zod
Off topic
quick question

Why is it that Renntech presence on this forum is quite weak, not very active (as in you have no one representing you for info on products, pics explanations etc)

Linking site is sometimes not good enough as we want stuff to be publicly viewed / discussed

I for one had a hell of a time trying to get info on your new pulley, but there was no one here to ask
In Renntech's defense, they don't need somewhere here pushing their products. Their reputation speaks for itself. Why pay to be a sponsor if you don't need to? I believe Cory from Kleemann was on this site as well as a sponsor, but no longer posts. One of the top tuners for Porsche is Protomotive and they don't even have a real website.. but those who are into tuning know exactly who they are.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:23 PM

CLS55, S550
We like to deal with people one on one not in forums. Everyone is free to call us at any time if they need information or better clarity regarding our products.

We do appreciate all of your comments and we do read the posts.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:34 PM

2006 Mercedes Benz E350
Originally Posted by Cylinder Head

I'm freakin out here man. Waiting for someone to scream "I want the truth!!!"
"You can't handle the truth...son we live in a world that has walls and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns!"

I loved that fricken movied! Jack won best supporting actor for 15 minutes of acting in that movie!!! I know, I know but I just had to finish the quote.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 EuroElites E55
Originally Posted by BallzyS55
EE supporters, if you sit there and try to tell me that ee has hired an attorney, and that's why they're not responding, that's bs, not once I’ve ever threatened ee with a law suit, and if they are hiring a lawyer, that's because they know how bad they screwed up this time, and they found out that I'm not going to tuck my tail between my legs, and run, and as for your behind the scene info you mentioned rocket, it's bs, let them meet with me & you there as you the middle man, and you'll see that they wont agree, you know why, cause they're full of chit, I will stand there in their face and say everything and more, that I've mentioned so far. Rocket didn't you say before that they're supposed to fix my cousins front end, I believe you did, so why don't you ask them, and let us know if they will, as I said before, they made it clear to me that they will no do ***** for me or my cousin.
I wouldnt be a good middle man. Im a EE supporter untill the day I die or they make me not be. my experance with them has been so good its almost like this is just a joke and your gonna post J/K any time now. unfortunatly it isnt but that cant change how I have been treated. My car will still go there and so will my next car. I will also have friends go there. I wish your experance was as good as mine.

I have no idea if they are supposed to fix your bumper, but IF they did mess it up then hell ya they should fix it. I can tell you this I have the smallest scratch on a rim and Adam called me and said he would pay for it. when I got there it wasnt even a scratch it looked like a scuff. I couldnt even find it. I was not even worried about it. now I know your thinkin what the hell has this have to do with you? well nuttin realy just why I wouldnt be a good middle man.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lotus Elise SLK55
Originally Posted by SleeperX
In Renntech's defense, they don't need somewhere here pushing their products. Their reputation speaks for itself. Why pay to be a sponsor if you don't need to? I believe Cory from Kleemann was on this site as well as a sponsor, but no longer posts. One of the top tuners for Porsche is Protomotive and they don't even have a real website.. but those who are into tuning know exactly who they are.
That's true, the big three Mercedes tuners: Brabus, Kleemann, Renntech rarely post here... its mostly their installers that post info on their products. The problem is that some installers think they are "tuners" and are very vocal, which leads to problems (as we've all seen).
Old 02-05-2008, 06:15 PM
Former Vendor

Any AMG Thats Around..
Exactly Sleeper_X!!!!!

Originally Posted by Bigbob
We like to deal with people one on one not in forums. Everyone is free to call us at any time if they need information or better clarity regarding our products.

We do appreciate all of your comments and we do read the posts.
Thats what im saying bob......

On a second note.... My friend got banned from this site because he owned a shop..... He never tried to sell anything, all he did was offer advice, been working on and modifing benzes for 8 years and is the RennTech NY Dealer..... Is that fair? He was a member here before he even had a shop..... And there is a sponser selling untested, unsafe mods from overseas?... damaging peoples cars? I dunno guys..... This whole thing sucks... ok my $.02
Old 02-05-2008, 06:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55, '05 SLK55, a few others
HAHAHAHAHA!! As if there are no blown up M5's around after "tuning" or even stock for that matter. Unless it's highly modified (and therefore just as at risk as anyone elses ride), I fear no M5/M6.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:21 PM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Originally Posted by Addicted2Speed
That's true, the big three Mercedes tuners: Brabus, Kleemann, Renntech rarely post here... its mostly their installers that post info on their products. The problem is that some installers think they are "tuners" and are very vocal, which leads to problems (as we've all seen).
+1
getting the big toner info support what be great. This thread is revolvong around customer service and just because u r one of the mentioned big companys, does not mean ''naa we r famous why should we bother trying to explain things to them!''

1 to 1 is great, but it does not help the masses somtimes when they need it

Because i belive:

1 This is a tuning forum to a degree and well.... your are the tuners
2 show customers suppport, (how to istall/ fix incase somthing went wrong)to the people who go to buy your product even if it isn't through your directly..still your product
3 You (the company)would probably make a few more sales and gain customer interest loyality just showing that you care and have a pressence felt on a public forum

Its free marketing to an extent (paying for sponsership) why pass it up?

Last edited by Zod; 02-05-2008 at 06:32 PM.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:26 PM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
SL600
Ya, well...Gustav's an interesting guy...

I'm sure it's only a matter of time before he figures out how to make a video that shows a 325i outrunning the space shuttle...lol
Old 02-05-2008, 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
Originally Posted by E55BKS
I've had it happen to me, not on my E55 but on my other car. Uploaded the software and within 2 hrs the tranny was fried. I had to replace it ($1,800.00) Everyone I've talked to recommends not to mess with the tranny software, there's a 50/50 chance it will help or fry it. I'll never make that mistake again.

We all know going in to modding ours cars that there is a risk there, if OP didn't do his research before he decided to add mods he's made a big mistake. While the tuner should pay for any damages and make the deal right, he's not solely to blame. When someone questioned the OP's research before he bought the car he claimed "when we bought this car not from an auction, but from a dealer, and we sure as hell did our homework on title, and it's clear." Why didn't he do his homework on mods? In his post he never admits he could've did anything different. I hope the tuner makes this problem go away, I just got a quote to have my bumper painted for $300.00 (I'm having that ugly plate removed and the holes filled), so what I get is that all the OP wants his bumper fix and a apology. But personally I think he's asking for more. If this was my issue I would ask for the same and take no less. You'll have to chalk the lost value of the car to the risks involved with modding a car. Just my .02

What you are failing to realize is that until this incident was posted EE had a golden reputation from everyone you ever asked. I've been told countless times that Adam and EE are first class...no one ever mentioned these problems. So IF the OP had asked, he would have been told exactly what he wanted to hear and done the upgrades anyway.

THANK YOU to everyone for being honest and sharing your stories...good and bad.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
new balance
With all of this negativity I could sell copies of my ECU for 10K easy, sorry maybe a bad joke, if you knew my car you would understand the joke though.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E 55
Originally Posted by E55JAY
With all of this negativity I could sell copies of my ECU for 10K easy, sorry maybe a bad joke, if you knew my car you would understand the joke though.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
**THIS SPACE FOR RENT**

Call 1-888-467-8345

Last edited by trumpet1; 02-05-2008 at 07:51 PM.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:38 PM

SLK32
I was going to stay out of this thread but after reading the entire thing I decided to jump in.

First of all I have to say I am very dissapointed in the members that had issues with the tunes they recieved from EE and did not speak up.

Based on the comments and feedback from this forum I went with the Evotech tune. I am happy with my tune and it seems to be performing well. I currently have no complaints about the tune but it would have been nice have all the information.

I have a before dyno runs but do not have an after dyno at this point. Waiting on a couple of other items to be installed before I hit the dyno again.

For the guys that have made comments like "this is why you stick with the big boys like Kleeman and RENNtech." There have been a number of posts with problems with both of these tuners. This is nothing against any of these tuners just pointing out that no one in this tuning space has a completly clean reputation.

I was not there and have no idea with what went on with ballsy and EE. The only thing we know for sure is that ballsy had some issues and is not happy. We clearly do not have all the facts as we only have 1 side of the story. Nor do I expect we will ever have all the facts. There are three sides to every story "your side, my side, and the truth". Something just is not adding up - maybe EE had a newbie working, who knows.

Not calling balsy a liar but I have trouble believing anyone in the business would have stated that an ECU tune takes 20 minutes (well the update and confirmation may take 20 minutes but not the entire process). There was clearly a break down in communication. Someone should have confirmed with ballsy and his cousin when they stated they would wait.

As I said something just is not adding up:
EE - found and fixed the problem with the install on the ELM. **** happens but still kind of feel this mistake should not have happened. But can chalk it up to an anamoly.

EE - assisted in getting an SC and transmission replaced at the dealer.

Balsy - is still running the EE tune and the car seems to be running strong although this is just an assumption.

Ballsy - cousins 65 does not appear to be running right

Ballsy - bumper, et al was damaged.

Why would EE work on the most difficult part - Trans & SC but not assist in getting the body work fixed. I would not have expected them to fix it themselves but one would expect they to assist ballsy.

If EE is so bad why is ballsy still running their tune?

I could go on and on but there really is no point. As I stated we are missing something - the picture we have does not add up.

I hope in the end that it all works out and everyone walks away satisfied - at this point I don't think anyone will walk away happy.

Ballsy - good luck with everything. I really hate that you have had this experience. It could very easliy been anyone else on the board that has had their car modified.

Just not a good situation for anyone.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:45 PM

CL65
Originally Posted by E55JAY
Well, it wouldn't work on anyone else's car since all E55 motors are different and need individual tunes. I think this thread has a lot of people worried for no reason. I believe the standard pulley tunes will work OK for most any of our cars. They may not be perfect and will run rich up top, but that is better than running lean up top. How many here with a pulley and an ECU tune have had a problem? I haven't seen any except for a pulley that wasn't installed properly.

I never got a tune from EE, but have bought some parts from Adam, and as far as I'm concerned he's OK. I would still puchase from EE if everything is resolved and we are given satifactory answers. Having said that, I went with a Renntech tune and pulley because I felt it was the safest bet. There was no doubt in my mind that a bad tune could damage an engine and I wanted someone with a long track record.

I'm not taking sides, but I will wait to see how this plays out.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 CLS63 030
I think my Evotech ECU is fine, but I really do not know what is "safe" in the 6.2L V8, I do not have a CEL or any other problems. Has there been any 63 tunes that have produced gains on a dyno? I think what the companies claim are dreamy. Here is my Powerchip and Evotech tunes next to eachother

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...39#post2638439

Last edited by juicee63; 02-05-2008 at 09:34 PM.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
01 CLK 430
Originally Posted by Ghostrider
I'm picking up what you are putting down!!

Is the Mercedes ECU that hard to tune? Why is it that we can't get some piggyback or standalone ECU love. We can flash these cars so why can't we write a tune and flash it right then and there?
Someone?? Anyone??

Old 02-05-2008, 09:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by Ghostrider
Someone?? Anyone??

THE benz ECU is tricky and thus all the failed tunes..E55jay has the best one but in general the V12 is easier to get power from. The 63 is the hardest IMHO
Old 02-05-2008, 10:06 PM

06 S55 AMG, 03 SL55 AMG, 02 S430(sold), 05 F150, 06 Ranger, My baby 07 HD Rdking
Well to those out there that are still asking why we're still running evotech tune, because of the simple fact, that we don't trust these guys to flash our cars back to stock ( nor they're willing to do anything for us ),we are simply waiting to find a way to take to dealer, and have them flash it to stock, without being flaged , as for us running strong, please don't assume, that we are, as for me and my cousin have enough problems.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030
Well to those out there that are still asking why I'm running evotech tune, because of the simple fact, that I don't trust these guys to flash our cars back to stock ( nor they're willing to do anything for us ),we are simply waiting to find a way to take to dealer, and have them flash it to stock, as for our running strong, please don't assume, that we are, as for me and my cousin have enough problems.

Just take it in say you just purchased the car and want to make sure the ECU and everything is fine. They will flash it back with the latest software.

I thought you did not want it back to stock and were mad at the possibility it may have happened already afteryour repairs?
Old 02-06-2008, 12:45 AM

05 e55
Well to those out there that are still asking why we're still running evotech tune, because of the simple fact, that we don't trust these guys to flash our cars back to stock ( nor they're willing to do anything for us ),we are simply waiting to find a way to take to dealer, and have them flash it to stock, without being flaged , as for us running strong, please don't assume, that we are, as for me and my cousin have enough problems.
i wasnt aware that you guys were still using the ecu tune, the tcu upgrade and the elm. i would be careful of having some unknown dealer flash your car and see that you have made the mods that you have. some service advisors can be really **** and you might want to be cautious about having your warranty voided.

Maybe it's time to put the posturing aside, layoff posting on this thread for a day or so and make a reasonable non threatening approach to EE to work this out. perhaps try alternative dispute resolution. Based on your posts EE appears to have a good relationship with a dealer, collectively they saw to it that you got a new SC,and new tranny under warranty. I would think that you would rather have your cars in the condition they were before you decided to mod the vehicles. it's completely illogical for EE to not pay[they collect from the tow company later] for the bumper unless there is a lot more to this story than what you have posted, perhaps that might be case. maybe work with EE so the same dealer will get you back to pre mod state with minimal or no expense to yourself. sometimes the best settlements are when both sides feel like they didnt win. i think each party bears some responsibility in mitigating their damages and that takes some cooperation from both sides.

getting a pound a flesh feels good but i think you would rather be back to square one and enjoying your cars. this way you guys can do your due diligence and risk your car again with another tuner who you can build a long term relationship with. sounds almost too easy unless both parties have dug in their heels ready for the expensive fight that only their attorneys will come out ahead in.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
new balance
Originally Posted by waxking1
Well, it wouldn't work on anyone else's car since all E55 motors are different and need individual tunes.
really, imagine that

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tunning Horrific Nightmare