Sponsored by:

It's time!! VRP700 VS MHP. Tuner showdown at Sacto. 10/25/08

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Wow, this is embarrassinig, You would never see John Lingenfelter(RIP) going at Reeves Callaway like this! We are all here for the same reason to share info, make new friends and most important Go Fast! So from this point on Andy chill and Victor in the future if something like this comes up just pm the member and give your caution there. Now lets have less of and more of

Hammer Out!

Last edited by Hammer Down; 10-24-2008 at 09:08 PM.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL65
Originally Posted by jrcart
Agreed, but by the time you see it on the computer screen and shut things down most of the damage is already done. It amazes me that the guys arguing back and forth in this thread don't realize that.
The dyno doesn't load the car down as much as real world driving does. It is more forgiving hence giving you a bit more time to avert disaster. I've blown dozen's of motors (no lie), not one on the dyno.
If you're watching what you're doing and glued to the AFR guage, you can run lean for a second and not hurt anything. You'd think 14:1 AFR at 1200 RWHP on 50 psi boost and a 200 shot would blow a hole in a piston right?

Last edited by MarkoCL65; 10-24-2008 at 10:42 PM.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Originally Posted by Hammer Down
Wow, this is embarrassinig, You would never see John Lingenfelter(RIP) going at Reeves Callaway like this! We are all here for the same reason to share info, make new friends and most important Go Fast! So from this point on Andy chill and Victor in the future if something like this comes up just pm the member and give your caution there. Now lets have less of and more of

Hammer Out!
Very good point, one of the best posts on the thread. On the outside looking in, it looks like posturing, and threatening due to sponsorship and/or moderating.

From posts as of late with MHP and some others in different threads it seems to get so tense and turns nasty. Why is that? From my perspective, I thought it was a friendly competition and some healthy bantering between tuners is cool.

A potential customer reading through these threads would start to think twice about getting a tune from several tuners here. (No names needed.)

Just my $3 worth and observation.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:22 PM

CL65
Andy, how much power do you think you're leaving on the table? Given the unique circumstance that the tune is a "remote" tune and the car is highly modified, you obviously left some power on the table to account for varying conditions such as octane level, air density (since it is speed density vs mass-air), intercooler efficiency (or in-efficiency) in order to deliver a safe tune. I would think given the situation and the laws of physics, there would be something to gain from a live tune in this particular application. Your thoughts?

Last edited by MarkoCL65; 10-24-2008 at 11:24 PM.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:41 AM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by MarkoCL65
Andy, how much power do you think you're leaving on the table? Given the unique circumstance that the tune is a "remote" tune and the car is highly modified, you obviously left some power on the table to account for varying conditions such as octane level, air density (since it is speed density vs mass-air), intercooler efficiency (or in-efficiency) in order to deliver a safe tune. I would think given the situation and the laws of physics, there would be something to gain from a live tune in this particular application. Your thoughts?
No doubt, there's more left on the table with our tune, we take no chances with anyones motor; we've been doing this (tuning all kinds of applications) for longer than most on this site have been in business and we've never lost a single one. That alone speaks volumes, then add the fact that we've never lost a shootout.
That being said I believe that we're making more power remote tuning than PC did with the car on a dyno. Not trying to fan the flames, just stating my opinion. I guess we'll see what the track and dyno results yield.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:44 AM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by bigben320e
Very good point, one of the best posts on the thread. On the outside looking in, it looks like posturing, and threatening due to sponsorship and/or moderating.

From posts as of late with MHP and some others in different threads it seems to get so tense and turns nasty. Why is that? From my perspective, I thought it was a friendly competition and some healthy bantering between tuners is cool.

A potential customer reading through these threads would start to think twice about getting a tune from several tuners here. (No names needed.)

If post #30 would never have happened we wouldn't have gone down this road...again.
Sorry but you'll never see me telling another tuner's customer what to do with a competitors tune. EVER. It's flat out crossing the line, ignorant, and insulting.

Take it FWIW.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:56 AM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow!

Talk about Battle of the Tuners here. It's amazing how a simple suggestion can lead into an internet war.

Let's all stick to the subject and drop the argument.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:12 AM

CL65
Originally Posted by MHP
Sorry but you'll never see me telling another tuner's customer what to do with a competitors tune.
The way I understood it, Victor was cautioning his customer on what to do with his highly modified car (featuring many tuner's products), not anyone's tune. The fact that Victor suggested that as a safety precaution didn't strike me as "crossing the line, ignorant, and insulting", but rather as concerned about a customer avoiding a potential problem. I re-read it many times and have yet to connect your reaction with Victor's post.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:16 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by MHP
Substitute "potential" with "proven" and I have no issue with that statement. You're a fan of VRP, good for you, enjoy their products. As for our customers being "sellouts" as far as I can tell their only commonality is they want the absolute best.
You could call it proven and it changes nothing. The point doesn't change. I consider your clients "sellouts", especially the established members, because they are willing to compromise integrity for a quick tune. I can understand the 63 guys doing it but it blows my mind that anyone with a 55k would even speak to you, much less pay you.

BTW, I am a fan of Vadim in Costa Mesa and as Victor is pointing out that has less and less to do with VRP.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Originally Posted by MHP
If post #30 would never have happened we wouldn't have gone down this road...again.
Sorry but you'll never see me telling another tuner's customer what to do with a competitors tune. EVER. It's flat out crossing the line, ignorant, and insulting.

Take it FWIW.
Let it go! Do what you do best, tune cars and make customers happy!
Old 10-25-2008, 02:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63
Hey Jang I hear what you're saying but we both are very into this modding world and search for every last piece of info we can. I have been building motors since I was 16 (45 now) and have a vast knowlage of what is what. I for one must say that once I spoke a few times to Andy on the phone I feel that he and his product are on top of the game. If you play poker and have a royal flush you can bet with BIG ***** I feel that Andy knows what he has and feels it is the best. I have to give him the on his salesmanship. He is here saying "I have the best tune on the market, buy it or miss the boat."
That is a very BOLD stand. I have a Renntech tune now and am very happy with it but would love to give Andy's tune a shot. I for one am always on the hunt for new TECH. Blowing up my motor on a record pass would be a "REAL BLAST" LETS ASK JIM,
Old 10-25-2008, 02:42 AM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by MarkoCL65
The way I understood it, Victor was cautioning his customer on what to do with his highly modified car (featuring many tuner's products), not anyone's tune. The fact that Victor suggested that as a safety precaution didn't strike me as "crossing the line, ignorant, and insulting", but rather as concerned about a customer avoiding a potential problem. I re-read it many times and have yet to connect your reaction with Victor's post.
Like I said above, it's not my place to tell a former customer what to do with another tuners product, or how to test it. If anything Vic should have PM'd him that info, then again, we wouldn't have the excess drama.
It's ignorant and insulting because VRP doesn't have the first clue as to what our tunes consist of or how safe they really are, therefore they have no reason whatsoever to even make a suggestion about testing our tune. They're making assumptions about the quality of our tuning, and the knowledge/experience base that goes with it, and yes we happen to take that as an insult, especially coming from a competing entity.
Finally, Jim's already beat the snot out of his car for 40-50 miles +, if something bad was going to happen, it would've already and everyone would know.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:46 AM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by jangy
You could call it proven and it changes nothing. The point doesn't change. I consider your clients "sellouts", especially the established members, because they are willing to compromise integrity for a quick tune. I can understand the 63 guys doing it but it blows my mind that anyone with a 55k would even speak to you, much less pay you.

BTW, I am a fan of Vadim in Costa Mesa and as Victor is pointing out that has less and less to do with VRP.

Integrity, Quick Tune?

Ask anyone of our customers what they think of our integrity, then ask them what they think of our products.
Our tunes are not quick "one size fits all" reflashes like most others in this business do, ours are 100% custom to every application we do, they simply have to be. The flip side of that is we have the best tuning on the market bar none, and aren't afraid to go head to head with anyone.

LOL, still a bit salty are we Jangy? You may not like my demeanor, and I may not like yours, but the forum is big enough for us both. Just don't threaten my life with a 9mm and we'll get along just fine.

Last edited by MHP; 10-25-2008 at 02:49 AM.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:55 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by rarfinancial
Hey Jang I hear what you're saying but we both are very into this modding world and search for every last piece of info we can. I have been building motors since I was 16 (45 now) and have a vast knowlage of what is what. I for one must say that once I spoke a few times to Andy on the phone I feel that he and his product are on top of the game. If you play poker and have a royal flush you can bet with BIG ***** I feel that Andy knows what he has and feels it is the best. I have to give him the on his salesmanship. He is here saying "I have the best tune on the market, buy it or miss the boat."
That is a very BOLD stand.
I never doubted his credentials. It bothers me that you would give the guy the time of day after he treats people like this. Thats all.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:58 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by MHP
LOL, still a bit salty are we Jangy? You may not like my demeanor, and I may not like yours, but the forum is big enough for us both. Just don't threaten my life with a 9mm and we'll get along just fine.
Yup, honestly thats all it is. I still haven't seen a client of yours and waiting. I remember your claim that your tune alone would give more power than VRP's hardware and tune. Threats are for those that are looking for reactions. If I pull a gun, I'll plan to use it.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:59 AM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
I never doubted his credentials. It bothers me that you would give the guy the time of day after he treats people like this. Thats all.
All due respect jangy, I don't instigate but I have no problem biting back.
Old 10-25-2008, 03:02 AM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Yup, honestly thats all it is. I still haven't seen a client of yours and waiting. I remember your claim that your tune alone would give more power than VRP's hardware and tune. Threats are for those that are looking for reactions. If I pull a gun, I'll plan to use it.
Lots of data coming in. I know we were supposed to have results already from objective testers but their cars have been undrivable anyway and/or some of their control units were lost in a shipping debacle due to a malfunctioning bar code reader. We just shipped out 3 more MB ECU/TCUs yest (Fri) that will arrive later today and installed asap.

I stand behind my statement that we will make more safe power than a PC tune any day of the week. Again not trying to start a flame war just stating MHO. We'll have quite a few PC/Renntech and Kleeman comparisons in the next few weeks from board members with all types of AMG/MBs.

Again lots of data coming in both objective and subjective, no question I want it in and up asap as well.

Thanks
Old 10-25-2008, 03:18 AM
Banned

2003 Mercedes S500 Lorinser
from a personal horror story with powerchip my self i can say there product and customer service is complete garbage.

i know bruce from ttmotorsports in farmingdale,NY who only gets his tunes done by the best.

Ive only heard the Best from MHP.. andy keep up the good work.

vrp im surprised the big mb tuner company you are that you dont write or design your own software instead use that powerchip garbage.

Along with there cheesy and queer aussy accents, Jeremy and Travis at the Powerchip California HQ are def a bunch of Tools
Old 10-25-2008, 03:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63
I want mods// Only problem I have with Andy so far is that he won't give me a FREE tune to test... D Damn You Andy
Old 10-25-2008, 03:53 AM
Banned

02 S500 Sport
I just read the whole damn thread.

PC is total garbage, I remember them calling up members and threating to sue them to remove their threads/posts.

Im surprised VRP uses that crap, I thought they had their own tune.

I enjoy reading your posts Andy, Keep up the good work.

I would def get a tune from someone who is confident in themselves and make BOLD statements like that. I agree with what rarfinancial has said.

Last edited by Gondon; 10-25-2008 at 03:56 AM.
Old 10-25-2008, 04:05 AM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Thanks guys. We take pride in our products simply because we know what they can do.
Unfortunately "someone" at PC has been contacting some of our customers directly and has attempted to make shady deals with them. We have phone records and first hand testimony, as such we've commenced legal action.

Sad.
Old 10-25-2008, 04:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by MHP
...VRP doesn't have the first clue as to what our tunes consist of or how safe they really are, therefore they have no reason whatsoever to even make a suggestion about testing our tune. They're making assumptions about the quality of our tuning, and the knowledge/experience base that goes with it, and yes we happen to take that as an insult, especially coming from a competing entity.
Finally, Jim's already beat the snot out of his car for 40-50 miles +, if something bad was going to happen, it would've already and everyone would know.
doesn't the statement above actually give vrp a reason to make their suggestion? and according to you, this is one of the only 55's tunes you've done which further justifies the precaution.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
Here is what I get from this post.

1 - VRP covers their *** with someone using a different ECU and Tune with their hardware and suggests a dyno run before the track. Good move albeit probably should have been sent via PM.
2 - Andy is pissed at Powerchips and takes it out on VRP and Vic (Mod) even to the point of reporting Vic to Internet Brands, Inc. to have him removed as moderator.
3 - Andy is supposed to be a nice guy in person...but a ***** on the internet.
4 - Some people chime in on the crap tunes that PC gives. I personally like their tune and had zero problems with them.

Can't wait to see the results personally.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:32 AM

05 C55
Originally Posted by bigben320e

+1 its really disappointing to see the turns that this site is taking. the constant back and forth *****ing and crying really offers nothing to anyone that comes here regularly. its actually a damn shame to see so much experience and knowledge be wasted by acting like a bunch of children.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by rarfinancial
I want mods// Only problem I have with Andy so far is that he won't give me a FREE tune to test... D Damn You Andy
You gotta pay to play...caugh up the loot, Andy already stated that he will give refunds if you are not 100% satisfied. That is the ultimate form of standing behind your product.

I expect my 100 octane ECU/TCU tune back from Andy this morning (yep, Sat. Delivery), as soon as I plug it back in and beat on it for a little while I will let you know what I think. Due to me living int he central time zone I might have some feedback posted up before Jakpro get his results posted....stay tuned.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: It's time!! VRP700 VS MHP. Tuner showdown at Sacto. 10/25/08