W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

!!! ATTENTION !!!! - FUEL LEAK ISSUE HAS BEEN SETTLED BY DAIMLER-BENZ... 2014.12.23

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 11:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Mercedes
Just to clarify, if you have an E55 and your Mercedes VMI lists 'tank' for your unit (and I suspect all E55's do), THEN YOU NEED A NEW FUEL SENDER, NEW FUEL PUMP, AND A NEW FUEL TANK!!

These are the instructions from Mercedes themselves and are part of their settlement with NHTSB!!!!

If you only got part of the fix, then just know that your dealer did not follow the instructions, and your problem will only come back after the other components eventually fail.
Old 09-25-2015, 12:01 AM
Banned

Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeNobody
Just to clarify, if you have an E55 and your Mercedes VMI lists 'tank' for your unit (and I suspect all E55's do), THEN YOU NEED A NEW FUEL SENDER, NEW FUEL PUMP, AND A NEW FUEL TANK!!

These are the instructions from Mercedes themselves and are part of their settlement with NHTSB!!!!

If you only got part of the fix, then just know that your dealer did not follow the instructions, and your problem will only come back after the other components eventually fail.
I read that a tank is not always the problem. But who knows. I didn't get the tank replaced and others didn't get their tank replaced either.
Old 09-25-2015, 12:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 74 Likes on 70 Posts
E55
all e55's that leak fuel require a complete tank assembly with all components. dealers are allowed to do an interim repair and fix only what is leaking while the back ordered parts are on order.
Old 09-25-2015, 12:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by Mackhack
I could post the letter but would have to black out my personal information. But in your case I would report this particular stealership to MBUSA. I. Sure they informed every single one about this recall. This is not up to the individual dealership, this is an official recall. Fight for your rights people!!!
this is not a recall. its a warranty extension.
Old 09-25-2015, 12:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rocman8
this is not a recall. its a warranty extension.
That is true.
Old 09-25-2015, 12:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E500
all e55's that leak fuel require a complete tank assembly with all components. dealers are allowed to do an interim repair and fix only what is leaking while the back ordered parts are on order.
I've heard E55 and E500 mentioned in the same breath regards this issue.
Old 09-25-2015, 02:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Originally Posted by Voland
I've heard E55 and E500 mentioned in the same breath regards this issue.
As per MB's own repair instructions, there are two different fixes, and it's dependent upon what shows up for each car in VMI.

Option 1: If a car's VMI says 'tank', and there is a fuel smell or leak, then do not proceed any further with diagnostic, and replace the entire tank along with fuel sender and fuel pump.

Option 2: If a car's VMI says 'fuel components', and there is a fuel smell or leak, then diagnose and replace only the components that are actively failing.

It doesn't get any more clear than that. I assume all E55's are option 1, and it's MB trying to skirt their settlement by 'mistakenly' doing repair option 2.

My buddies E55 has already been "repaired" twice, and he's about to bring it in a third time.
Old 09-25-2015, 02:40 AM
Banned

How long of time was between repair 1 and 2 to go bad again?

Can you share a scan of that repair manual?
Old 09-25-2015, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
It was less than three months between my buddies first and second repair, and now he says it's back to leaking fuel again less than 2 months after his second repair.

The repair flowchart instructions are posted in this massive thread (maybe in the first half of the thread). The original post should be updated to include it, along with guidance on dealing with pushy insubordinate dealerships.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:11 AM

As per MB's own repair instructions, there are two different fixes, and it's dependent upon what shows up for each car in VMI.

Option 1: If a car's VMI says 'tank', and there is a fuel smell or leak, then do not proceed any further with diagnostic, and replace the entire tank along with fuel sender and fuel pump.

Option 2: If a car's VMI says 'fuel components', and there is a fuel smell or leak, then diagnose and replace only the components that are actively failing.

It doesn't get any more clear than that. I assume all E55's are option 1, and it's MB trying to skirt their settlement by 'mistakenly' doing repair option 2.

My buddies E55 has already been "repaired" twice, and he's about to bring it in a third time.
Thanks for this info.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:22 AM
Banned

Maybe the buddy had bad luck. We only got the two fuel sender units replaced as stated and since then it's quiet and no more smell. It's more than 6 months now I think and even when I checked this weekend since this topic came up its completely dry and smell free.

I like that they pick up the tab after they lost the suit but I also think they are absolutely right not to replace parts based on guesswork. If a customer has a combination of bad tank and fuel sender unit(s), sure go ahead and replace whatever is necessary to fix the problem. But we all know there a many people out there trying to take advantage to get as much for free in life as possible although they are not entitled to receive it. And in the end this behavior hurts the honest people not those taking advantage.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:23 PM

2003 E500
Maybe the buddy had bad luck. We only got the two fuel sender units replaced as stated and since then it's quiet and no more smell. It's more than 6 months now I think and even when I checked this weekend since this topic came up its completely dry and smell free.

I like that they pick up the tab after they lost the suit but I also think they are absolutely right not to replace parts based on guesswork. If a customer has a combination of bad tank and fuel sender unit(s), sure go ahead and replace whatever is necessary to fix the problem. But we all know there a many people out there trying to take advantage to get as much for free in life as possible although they are not entitled to receive it. And in the end this behavior hurts the honest people not those taking advantage.
My service manager said specifically that a "re-engineered tank" was ordered, together with fuel sender, pump and filter. These are what will be replaced.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:24 PM

2003 E500

What is VMI, please?
Old 09-28-2015, 12:46 PM
Banned

My service manager said specifically that a "re-engineered tank" was ordered, together with fuel sender, pump and filter. These are what will be replaced.
And there is nothing wrong with that solution if that is what is needed to get it fixed. What I'm trying to say was not that no car should have the tank and all other components replaced. I said if it's not necessary to get half the car's parts replaced just because then it is MBs good right to only replace what is absolute needed.

VMI is Vehicle Master Inquiry. It's the history of the car and can be accessed by any dealership world wide. So if you bought a car from the German market and it was imported in the U.S. and later sold to Japan the owner can go to any dealership and request the history of the car if wanted. I did it once. Shows repairs and recalls performed on the car.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
And there is nothing wrong with that solution if that is what is needed to get it fixed. What I'm trying to say was not that no car should have the tank and all other components replaced. I said if it's not necessary to get half the car's parts replaced just because then it is MBs good right to only replace what is absolute needed.

VMI is Vehicle Master Inquiry. It's the history of the car and can be accessed by any dealership world wide. So if you bought a car from the German market and it was imported in the U.S. and later sold to Japan the owner can go to any dealership and request the history of the car if wanted. I did it once. Shows repairs and recalls performed on the car.
You are wrong and spreading incorrect information. Please read the mercedes document. Up through 2006 w211 Mercedes states to replace the complete updated tank with all parts (no matter where the leak is).
Old 09-28-2015, 12:59 PM
Banned

You are wrong and spreading incorrect information. Please read the mercedes document. Up through 2006 w211 Mercedes states to replace the complete updated tank with all parts (no matter where the leak is).
I asked for this document here twice but nobody can produce it it looks like. I only got the letter in the mail and they did what the letter said. That's the most official information I have. And again, if I need a replacement tank I will get one. Before that I'm OK the way it now. This is my opinion and my take from it. I'm not questioning other people's opinion. Each and everyone can do what he thinks is right.

The bottom line is: either I have the same tank in the next 15 years or I'm going back if the smell comes back. But until then, I'm ok with the fix and I'm not one of the many who have a smell in their car for months because they have to wait for the parts. For me end of story.
Old 09-28-2015, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
See post 265 and 153. There are updated documents but you will get the idea.
Old 09-28-2015, 01:55 PM
Banned

Will do.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:54 PM

2003 E500
I asked for this document here twice but nobody can produce it it looks like. I only got the letter in the mail and they did what the letter said. That's the most official information I have. And again, if I need a replacement tank I will get one. Before that I'm OK the way it now. This is my opinion and my take from it. I'm not questioning other people's opinion. Each and everyone can do what he thinks is right.

The bottom line is: either I have the same tank in the next 15 years or I'm going back if the smell comes back. But until then, I'm ok with the fix and I'm not one of the many who have a smell in their car for months because they have to wait for the parts. For me end of story.
So, prompted by this discussion and the proximity of Taco Bell to Rusnak MB, I popped in and asked point blank if the tank would be replaced even if it was not defective or broken. The answer was yes. It was also stated that they replace the tank and all attendant equipment should there be a leak from any of the parts, whether the tank is corrupted or not. I was told that all the subject parts were "updated" versions.

Maybe being "updated" or "re-engineered" means that the replacement of one part requires the replacement of all (my speculation). But my understanding from Rusnak is that in the instance of a fuel leak from the tank assembly, everything is replaced. Perhaps it's merely the goodwill or paranoia of this particular dealer in doing this.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:37 PM
Banned

Ok. Like I said. If something happens I'll go back and see if more parts need to be replaced.
Old 09-29-2015, 01:36 PM

2003 E500
So, prompted by this discussion and the proximity of Taco Bell to Rusnak MB, I popped in and asked point blank if the tank would be replaced even if it was not defective or broken. The answer was yes. It was also stated that they replace the tank and all attendant equipment should there be a leak from any of the parts, whether the tank is corrupted or not. I was told that all the subject parts were "updated" versions.

Maybe being "updated" or "re-engineered" means that the replacement of one part requires the replacement of all (my speculation). But my understanding from Rusnak is that in the instance of a fuel leak from the tank assembly, everything is replaced. Perhaps it's merely the goodwill or paranoia of this particular dealer in doing this.
Parts arrived today. 12 day back order.
Old 09-29-2015, 01:51 PM
Banned

Parts arrived today. 12 day back order.
Now all that is left is the repair.
Old 10-02-2015, 04:18 AM

2003 E500
Now all that is left is the repair.
Picked the car up this evening. Wasn't allowed but to look at the VMI...for internal use only, but didn't cost a dime. Work and parts all under warranty, replaced the entire tank including the sensor, pump and filter. Rusnak service, Ophelia and Robert, were great...said they must have done 100 of these. I can smell the leather again and the car runs great.
Old 10-08-2015, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 w211 E55
entitled to new tank and components?

Hey all you w211 amg gurus
I was pouring over this thread and my 03/04 e55 has had a repair done in 2008 as a recall according to my VMI for the fuel filter module(pic of invoice included). I assume this is for the leaking problems many of you experience.
That being said, it says on my VMI under service packages FUEL TANK with code 47001(pic attached as well).
Does this mean I am entitled to the fuel tank replacement along with all relative components even though I smell no fuel and have no visible leaks?
Based on what Ive gathered from this thread they basically replaced the bare minimum but should have done the full tank etc....
Any Insight would be greatly appreciated!

-Mike

Last edited by Wolf InTheWeeds; 10-08-2015 at 02:23 PM.
Old 10-08-2015, 02:20 PM

2003 E500
Originally Posted by Wolf InTheWeeds
Hey all you w211 amg gurus
I was pouring over this thread and my 03/04 e55 has had a repair done in 2008 as a recall according to my VMI for the fuel filter module(pic of invoice included). I assume this is for the leaking problems many of you experience.
That being said, it says on my VMI under service packages FUEL TANK with code 4007(pic attached as well).
Does this mean I am entitled to the fuel tank replacement along with all relative components even though I smell no fuel and have no visible leaks?
Based on what Ive gathered from this thread they basically replaced the bare minimum but should have done the full tank etc....
Any Insight would be greatly appreciated!

-Mike

My understanding is that ALL parts...tank, sender, pump, and filter...have been updated and in my case replaced. I was told at my particular dealer, Rusnak Arcadia CA, has done over 100 of these.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: !!! ATTENTION !!!! - FUEL LEAK ISSUE HAS BEEN SETTLED BY DAIMLER-BENZ... 2014.12.23