W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pump solenoids

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.33 average.

Old 02-28-2024, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 678 Likes on 461 Posts
04 E55 AMG (totaled), 07 S550 4Matic, 14 E63S
Originally Posted by WANTED!!
Yup, I can make it stall on a steep enough grade if I leave the car parked outside overnight and the morning temps are cold enough even with about 3 minutes of warm-up/idle.
Interestingly, it doesn't occur if I have the sensor plugged in and drive it under the same conditions, if the sensor is unplugged but the car is parked in my garage overnight, or if I drive the car around the neighborhood for a bit before hitting that same hill.
Only when the car is too cold/outside overnight, temps are low enough at time of driving, the sensor is unplugged does do this only once. Also interestingly, it doesn't re-occur unless the car sits overnight. I have to deliberately recreate those conditions to do it. If the sensor is plugged in, I can't recreate this.

If this changes before I leave the country, I'll report back.
So the conditions are:
Solenoid unplugged
Cold soak overnight (not in the garage). What outside temp?
Your car is cold started and driven ~3 minutes
You stop on a hill, in drive, but not moving? Or you are moving?
The engine will........stall? Run rough and then stall? What exactly happens? Coolant temp? Oil temp? Fuel trims, the whole 9.

We need this info.

Last edited by kevm14; 02-28-2024 at 11:54 AM.
The following users liked this post:
juanmor40 (02-28-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 11:49 AM

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts
2015 E63 AMG S
Originally Posted by TomZVB
Not much to add here but just want to mention that I drive the heck out of my SL63 (perf package, no tune), the solenoid has been unplugged for about 1500 miles, and never once have I had a stalling issue. I do wait for the oil temp to reach proper operating temp before giving it hell, but I’ve been out in sub-30 degree weather and have run it to redline without a single complaint. I pulled the plug (out of the front cover, lol) almost three months ago. We don’t have a many hills here at the

Regarding the stalling issue, it would be good to know what oil pressure is like at startup (and on an incline). Maybe you have a stuck solenoid and the engine is failsafe-ing itself?
Yeah it almost sounds like his engine is getting starved at that incline. That's why I asked if he's check his engine oil level and what type of oil he is running/age of it. If he's low on oil and it's viscous because the temp and he's on an incline, that oil pump is working overtime to pump oil because the pick-up in the pan is forward.
Old 02-28-2024, 11:50 AM

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts
14 E63, 05 E55, 03 Evo 8, 08 F250, 06 R6R, 92 Talon TSI, and instability
Originally Posted by AMGandS1K
If you don't mind humoring me and answering the previous questions I posted, that'd be a big step forward to investigating this issue. You really should recreate this with an OBDII logger. If the engine is stalling there is bound to be a code of some kind.
I do mind humoring you, so no.

I don't have a logger, otherwise that would be a non-issue. I do have an sds. When time permits, I'd be happy to scan for codes. However, it hasn't thrown a check engine light when it does it.

Frankly, I did not go looking for or expecting to find this. This was an absolutely unexpected finding on my part. I simply plugged the sensor back in to rule it out as my problem fully expecting there to be more, and not expecting the sensor to fix my problem. Me repeating the experiment over days on end was me saying "this has to be a fluke". I'm more shocked than anything that it wasn't.

I'm otherwise happy with this mod. Overall, the car feels better.
Old 02-28-2024, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,671 Likes on 1,238 Posts
2015 SL400 (M276 Turbo), 2014 C350 Sport (M276 NA), 2004 SL500 (M113), 2004 Audi TT225 (BEA)
I'm quoting myself from back at the very beginning of the conversation to reinforce why I'm making the below commentary. I'd also like to note I've owned my car since 2018, tuned in tuned since 2020 to its current state, and know it's behavior extremely well.

Been hesitating to report this, but I do have a negative behavior associated with the sensor unplugged vs being plugged in. In colder weather (40(s)f and below), when I first drive the car if I don't drive it hard enough for about 5 minutes it'll stall /bog out under high load/low throttle. I've stalled it multiple times on a hill in my neighborhood on the way to work in the morning .

Did the transmission adaption reset, and no change. Replaced my throttle pedal, no change. Out of morbid curiosity, plugged in the sensor and it went away. Unplugged it overnight, it came back.

I'm torn as I feel the pros of having the sensor unplugged outweigh the cons. However, this behavior goes back to what I initially said near the beginning of the thread that I'm hard pressed to believe the sensor doesn't have some other affect associated with it other than just oiling. Clearly it does. Or I shouldn't be able to do this.

What this tells me is the ecu is telling the sensor to reduce/increase oil flow to some extent based on load and temps. While the primary purpose may be emissions and fuel efficiency, that clearly has an effect on low rpm drivability that may need some adjustment in the ecu to compensate for this change.
Have you used a dummy solenoid plugged in but not installed in the oil sump? Do you have one of those "63" cars that also have an oil pressure sensor? I thought it was only S63 cars.

As has been noted several times, the solenoid only RESTRICTS normal oil pressure and the failsafe default condition is disabled, meaning normal pressure base on engine speed up to ~60 psi (4 bar). Also, we see TIPS documents that say to ignore the fault.

Old 02-28-2024, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 SL400 (M276 Turbo), 2014 C350 Sport (M276 NA), 2004 SL500 (M113), 2004 Audi TT225 (BEA)
What I haven't tried is running a ghost sensor to see if that affects behavior. I'm running out of cold temp days and will be unable to do anything more with the car beyond driving it as I'm leaving the country for a while due to work. Someone else would have to try it and report on that one.
That might be tough if no one else is experiencing the same symptoms.
Old 02-28-2024, 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,595 Likes on 999 Posts
2008 E350 (W211 @170K), 2012 ML350 (W166 @119K), 2014 E350 Sport (W212 @96K), 2015 ML350 (W166 @92K)
Time out. Are you actually saying my own findings, which are in a small part in contrast to the overwhelming "perfection" that this mod has claimed to be, have no value because I cannot recreate everyone else's level of modifications?

Last time I checked, NO ONE in the thread has been held to that standard let alone have the abilities to recreate every weather, temperature, and load condition. Heck, no one has yet to put the car on a steady state dyno and do a full before and after comparison of normal driving under varying temperatures , load and throttle.

If you REALLY want to go there, then let's go there and say nothing presented in this entire thread is conclusive to the community because none of that has happened.

Otherwise, let's take my findings for what they are, a point of data for the pool as an area for folks to either explore more in-depth or just add to the overall input so far.

Sorry I found a side effect I wasn't looking for or expected. Sorry I put in my time to experiment further. Sorry I could recreate my findings under limited conditions. Sorry the mod everyone loves probably isn't perfect.
Apologies if it came across that way. Nobody here is being held to any standard.

What I meant is that more tests are required since there are now 2 variables involved in your case. If we do not complete "all the tests", it is difficult to conclude, only a possible cause. That is all. I also understand that the tune being flashed, and non-removable, the other tests are not possible preventing us from concluding something. It becomes antoher data point for the analysis

A similar argument we had with the true CEL, and no CEL differences. After understanding that some cars have the oil pressure sensor, we sorted out that issue.

Old 02-28-2024, 12:00 PM

2015 E63 AMG S

I don't have a logger, otherwise that would be a non-issue. I do have an sds. When time permits, I'd be happy to scan for codes. However, it hasn't thrown a check engine light when it does it.

Frankly, I did not go looking for or expecting to find this. This was an absolutely unexpected finding on my part. I simply plugged the sensor back in to rule it out as my problem fully expecting there to be more, and not expecting the sensor to fix my problem. Me repeating the experiment over days on end was me saying "this has to be a fluke". I'm more shocked than anything that it wasn't.

Then your data point is invalid and your poor reception to further questioning is unwarranted. If I were you, I'd have my car checked immediately, because having full oil pressure (again a linear curve that follows with engine RPM, NOT full pressure constantly) causing your engine to stall, would point to some serious issues somewhere in that engine or your ECU/TCU system.

If you're going to blow that off, which it sounds like you will, I'd at least buy a dummy solenoid and try to replicate it.

At the minimum check your oil level.
Old 02-28-2024, 12:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Anecdotally, @WANTED!! has observed symptoms that lead him to believe the solenoid mod is causing the strange behavior. He has decided to share that observation. Quite a few responses seem adversarial, or at least defensive, though I don't think they are meant to be. Group hug?

I do believe that while unplugging the solenoid is a cause of this behavior, it may not be the root or only cause, but has somehow amplified a hidden problem or problems that need to be investigated. Just because a problem does not trigger a CEL does not mean there is not a code waiting to be uncovered. The P06DA00 is a perfect example. CELs are only triggered if the fault has a direct affect on emissions--they do NOT alert on every problem. That's why waiting for a CEL is not a good idea. Get a proper Mercedes scanner and know for sure.
The following 4 users liked this post by JettaRed:
CaliBenzDriver (02-28-2024), jcarsnz (02-28-2024), TomZVB (02-28-2024), Yakatak (02-28-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 12:17 PM

2015 E63 AMG S
Originally Posted by JettaRed
Anecdotally, @WANTED!! has observed symptoms that lead him to believe the solenoid mod is causing the strange behavior. He has decided to share that observation. Quite a few responses seem adversarial, or at least defensive, though I don't think they are meant to be. Group hug?

I do believe that while unplugging the solenoid is a cause of this behavior, it may not be the root or only cause, but has somehow amplified hidden problem that needs to be investigated. Just because a problem does not trigger a CEL does not mean there is not a code waiting to be uncovered. The P06DA00 is a perfect example. CELs are only triggered if the fault has a direct affect on emissions--they do NOT alert on every problem. That's why waiting for a CEL is not a good idea. Get a proper Mercedes scanner and know for sure.
Agreed. I simply wanted more information on the condition of his car and the parameters he set for his testing. He did not want to provide them, without any of that, I cannot judge his anecdotal point as anything beneficial. If it's only happening on a slope in cold weather with cold oil, it already seems like we have workable traceability for diagnosing. I cannot imagine the car completely stalling and not throwing a single code. CEL, you're right, even my misfire from a bad coil pack didn't trigger a CEL, but all the misfire codes were there and stored when I hooked up a scanner.
CaliBenzDriver (02-28-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 12:30 PM

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts
14 E63, 05 E55, 03 Evo 8, 08 F250, 06 R6R, 92 Talon TSI, and instability

I do believe that while unplugging the solenoid is a cause of this behavior, it may not be the root or only cause, but has somehow amplified a hidden problem or problems that need to be investigated. Just because a problem does not trigger a CEL does not mean there is not a code waiting to be uncovered. The P06DA00 is a perfect example. CELs are only triggered if the fault has a direct affect on emissions--they do NOT alert on every problem. That's why waiting for a CEL is not a good idea. Get a proper Mercedes scanner and know for sure.
THANK YOU!!!

Last edited by WANTED!!; 02-28-2024 at 12:34 PM.
Old 02-28-2024, 12:52 PM

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts
S63 Coupe
Originally Posted by juanmor40
Apologies if it came across that way. Nobody here is being held to any standard.

What I meant is that more tests are required since there are now 2 variables involved in your case. If we do not complete "all the tests", it is difficult to conclude, only a possible cause. That is all. I also understand that the tune being flashed, and non-removable, the other tests are not possible preventing us from concluding something. It becomes antoher data point for the analysis

A similar argument we had with the true CEL, and no CEL differences. After understanding that some cars have the oil pressure sensor, we sorted out that issue.
No we did not sort out the CEL issue. Only conclusion we have so far is adding dummy solenoid can bypass the CEL. We do not know the cause of CEL. No proof that it was caused by oil pressure sensor so far.
juanmor40 (02-28-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by zk2004mb
No we did not sort out the CEL issue. Only conclusion we have so far is adding dummy solenoid can bypass the CEL. We do not know the cause of CEL. No proof that it was caused by oil pressure sensor so far.
To be accurate, adding a dummy solenoid eliminates the ECU setting a code for a malfunctioning (missing) solenoid; it does not bypass anything. With the dummy solenoid, the ECU thinks everything is hunky-dory. A Check Engine Light indicates a malfunction that pollutes the air. Because P06DA00 does not trip the CEL, emissions are not affected.
CaliBenzDriver (02-28-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think the statement is, we don't know why the vehicles with oil pressure sensors trigger a CEL for P06DA00 when the other vehicles just have the silent code. What part about having an oil pressure sensor makes it an emissions issue? It could be that there is some arcane rule in OBD-II land where IF you sense engine oil pressure, engine oil pressure related codes have to illuminate the CEL. I could see that. It means literally nothing though, and is of no consequence to this mod.
Old 02-28-2024, 02:36 PM

Received 91 Likes on 58 Posts
R231 SL 63
Originally Posted by OldManAndHisCar
Yes, in the seconds right as I start the car, after 45 secs or so it drops and there is the audible change. Same behavior in our GLS, only the GLS is never not smooth.
Mine does the same but the idle is always smooth (but authoritative). I don’t think it quite runs up to 1500 rpm though. I’ll check today when I head out. My garage conditions are similar.

Maybe a bad spark plug at startup? Fouled?
Old 02-28-2024, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It could also just be hitting closed loop 45 seconds into a cold start, to cause a change in idle/sound. Or the catalyst warmup idea I had earlier.
Old 02-28-2024, 04:31 PM

Received 152 Likes on 121 Posts
2012 E350 Cabriolet now SOLD to my son
Originally Posted by kevm14
It could also just be hitting closed loop 45 seconds into a cold start, to cause a change in idle/sound. Or the catalyst warmup idea I had earlier.
Agreed its for the latter...
Old 02-28-2024, 05:00 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
AMG A45 / W176
Hi mates,
my Car w176 AMG A45 MJ2017 facelift stock
i got this code P06DA00 by 53k miles and drove without any problems 10k miles now. If i dont have any scanner "Prodiag" ​
I would never have known. My oldschool mechanic told me to repair this for 600€
Can i ignore this code for my car too ?

Last edited by Lotty; 02-28-2024 at 05:13 PM.
Old 02-28-2024, 06:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,470 Likes on 2,312 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @60kMi
lucky defect

Originally Posted by Lotty
Hi mates,
my Car w176 AMG A45 MJ2017 facelift stock
i got this code P06DA00 by 53k miles and drove without any problems 10k miles now. If i dont have any scanner "Prodiag" ​
I would never have known. My oldschool mechanic told me to repair this for 600€
Can i ignore this code for my car too ?
Normally this P06DA00 code is the lucky one everyone here wish they had without having to unplug...

Many cars with this code have a harness defect that perfectly disables the low oil pressure, the way we like.

Even for free I would not get my oil pump fixed to enable low pressure!!
The following 2 users liked this post by CaliBenzDriver:
Lotty (02-28-2024), zk2004mb (02-28-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 06:17 PM

AMG A45 / W176
Originally Posted by CaliBenzDriver
Normally this P06DA00 code is the lucky one everyone here wish they had without having to unplug...

Many cars with this code have a harness defect that perfectly disables the low oil pressure, the way we like.

Even for free I would not get my oil pump fixed to enable low pressure!!
Oh nice, im a lucky guy
Old 02-28-2024, 06:46 PM

Received 55 Likes on 28 Posts
2014 E63s AMG

Until you can flash back to stock or plug in a stock ECU with the solenoid unplugged I don't think its accurate to say it's not the tune causing the stall. Not saying your findings aren't valid just that more testing is required here to come to a conclusion.
FWIW I live in a cold climate, have had the solenoid unplugged for months, and have not experienced any stalling or drivability issues. Car is stock.
juanmor40 (02-28-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 07:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by kevm14
I think the statement is, we don't know why the vehicles with oil pressure sensors trigger a CEL for P06DA00 when the other vehicles just have the silent code. What part about having an oil pressure sensor makes it an emissions issue? It could be that there is some arcane rule in OBD-II land where IF you sense engine oil pressure, engine oil pressure related codes have to illuminate the CEL. I could see that. It means literally nothing though, and is of no consequence to this mod.
That (arcane OBD rule) could very well be the case OR the sensor seeing increase pressure from the expected amount might indicate an abnormality for those specific vehicles that may be emissions related and trigger the CEL. Generally, a steady CEL is an indication that things emissions-related are out of balance, whereas a flashing CEL is indication of a serious emissions problem, such as excessive misfires or incomplete combustion dumping raw fuel through the cat.

We just don't know for those cars with the oil pressure sensors how the feedback to the ECU works.
Old 02-28-2024, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,470 Likes on 2,312 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @60kMi
Neh, thank you!!!

Oh nice, im a lucky guy
Very much so if your solenoid stays at rest - Do yourself a favor go watch the video in OP#1 at the top: valve got jammed = BAD DAY!

It's safer to unplug this time bomb clean off. Find the time to pull the plug and take couple pictures you'll post in favorite MBWorld chassis board.

Your engine is now ABNORMALLY MORE RELIABLE because you are lucky.

BTW now we can thank you as you have tested this mod longer than all of us combined.
The following 2 users liked this post by CaliBenzDriver:
juanmor40 (02-28-2024), Lotty (02-28-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 07:37 PM

AMG A45 / W176
Wow i already saw this Video...
I change every 6 months or max 120h my oil. On next service i will unplug this s***
Or i will show tomorrow maybe i can unplug this cable on top. But im sure i need a lifting platform and unplug it from the bottom. IDK.

Last edited by Lotty; 02-28-2024 at 07:40 PM.
Old 02-28-2024, 07:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Wow i already saw this Video...
I change every 6 months or max 120h my oil. On next service i will unplug this s***
Or i will show tomorrow maybe i can unplug this cable on top. But im sure i need a lifting platform and unplug it from the bottom. IDK.
I can't speak for V8 engines, but our V6 engines can be accessed from the top. You just need to remove the intake tube running from the grill to the airbox to reach down and unplug it.
Old 02-28-2024, 08:01 PM

AMG A45 / W176
I can't speak for V8 engines, but our V6 engines can be accessed from the top. You just need to remove the intake tube running from the grill to the airbox to reach down and unplug it.
Its a M133. Y130 i have to unplug. Maybe i have to remove the left rim

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.33 average.

Quick Reply: Oil pump solenoids